[Ranma][FanFic] The Road Less Traveled, chapter one

1 view

ran...@yahoo.com

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00
The Road Less Traveled
by Michael "Ranma13" Cerda

Revised 3/17/00

I do not take credit for the Ranma 1/2 characters. They are owned and
created by the goddess Rumiko Takahashi. The rights go to her and Viz
communication. This is my own story and in no way express how Rumiko
wanted her story to go. With this at mind, enjoy.

--------------------

Chapter 1: Decisions

A day just like any other day, the sun is just rising out of the east.
A Koi fish jumps out of the pond. He turns his head and smiles. He
has always enjoyed looking out at the pond. Sitting in the dojo
looking out at the pond, he reflects on the past couple of years. Many
things have changed since he had graduated.

Akane the next year after graduation went to college. She decided that
she needed to have the time and room to grow as an individual. She
decided to study Theatre with a minor in Physical Education. (The
later just so she can keep in shape and not lose her athletic build and
ability) Now in her third year of college, Akane has become a very
talented actress, with her specialty in Shakespearean plays.

He smiles thinking back when he was doing the Romeo and Juliet play
with Akane. Those were the times. Even though he was scared to death
about kissing Akane....it somehow seemed right.

Akane, decided to go to the same college as Nabiki. Now Nabiki has
made a huge name for herself. She is constantly getting offers from
major corporations for her to work for them. She decided that she
wanted to get her degree first. The offers will always be there for
her. Somehow Nabiki will always eventually rise up on top.

Interrupting his thoughts he senses somebody coming.

"Hello, Kasumi" before she enters the dojo.

"oh dear. Good afternoon, Ranma, how are you doing today?"

"Fine, just thinking about all of the changes that has happened the
past couple of years."

"Many things have changed, haven't they" Kasumi looking at Ranma "What
is the matter, Ranma?"

Kasumi had a motherly way of knowing when something was wrong with
you. Since Akane and Nabiki went away to college. Kasumi had less to
do around the house. It was time for her to start her own family. The
year after graduation Kasumi decided to confront Dr. Tofu, within the
year they were married. Deciding where to live they, much to the
satisfaction of Uncle Tendo, went to live in his house.

"Ranma??" Looking at Ranma with a worried expression on her face.

"Oh, huh....yeah, I'm just thinking about the past."

"Yes, you told me. Now what is wrong?"

"Well, Akane's making a name for herself. Nabiki we all knew would.
Pop is back home with mother (which is a story itself). You are
married, but where does this leave me. I'm happy to take over the
Tendo Dojo, I don't know Oneechan, I feel that this isn't enough.
Kasumi, I want more out of my life."

Looking up into Kasumi's eyes, you can see tenderness behind them.
Also some sympathy, of all of the people who could understand was
Kasumi. She spent the majority of her life taking care of her family.
Until she found a life of her own, with Dr. Tofu.

He knows that he should stop brooding before depression sets in.
Looking up he smiles at Kasumi.

"What did you want to tell me anyways?"

"Oh dear, that's right. Lunch will be ready in a few moments. I
better get back before it burns. Will you be alright Ranma?"

"Yes, I'll be o.k, thanks, I'll be there in a moment."

Kasumi bows and walks back to the kitchen. Watching Kasumi leave he
knows what he had to do.

********

After a great breakfast Ranma decides to visit his best friend. He
reaches Ucchan's and walks inside. He spots Ukyo cleaning a table.
She notices him and waves running to greet her love. He waves back as
Ukyo comes up to him and wraps her arms around him. Ranma returns the
hug, holding her tightly. Ranma and Ukyo have come to an understanding
that they will always be friends. Ukyo decided to give Ranma a break
from the fiancé thing. They have grown in their friendship now.

"Hi Ranma-honey, can I make you something?" Gesturing to a bar stool.

"No, that's o.k" usually Ranma would jump on her offer, but he wanted
to talk to her. "Do you have time to talk."

"For you sugar I'll make the time. Since I don't have any customers, I
guess I can close the shop for the day. Just hold on and we can take a
walk."

"I don't mean to be a bother Ucchan"

"You're never a bother, Ranchan." giving him a warm smile.

As they leave Ucchan's, they decide to take a walk to the park. It's a
beautiful day, with the sun shining high in the sky. Walking along a
path they decide to rest underneath a tree for awhile. From the
restaurant the conversation was routine `how are you today?' , `how is
business.' The normal conversation.

"What's wrong Ranma honey?"

After Akane left, the whole "fiancé" situation was getting out of
hand. Needing a way to get out of all of his engagements, Ranma needed
to challenge each fiancé. The battles were not pretty, but the outcome
was what is the most important. He winces as he thinks back to the
Shampoo/Cologne match. He still can't believe he lived through that
one. Kodachi was a little easier, he runs into her here and there.
She's always going around screaming something about her darling Ryoga;
whatever it isn't his problem now.

Then there was Ukyo; she saw the torment that he was going through.
She decided on her own to back down and not push him any farther. She
would hurt, but after awhile they became even closer as friends.

"Ranma?"

Breaking his thoughts, "huh, oh..I seemed to be doing this a lot
today."

"What?"

"Oh, nothing" Ranma putting his hands behind his head and laughing.

"Nay", Ukyo giving Ranma a weird look. "What did you want to talk to
me about?"

"Well Ucchan, I've been thinking all day about the past and the
future, specifically my future." Trying to gather the words.
"Ucchan, I don't know where I want to go. What direction my life
should take?"

"Ranma, What are you trying to say?" giving him a bewildered look.

"Well, I'm thinking of leaving Nerima"

"What!!?? No!!!!! Ranma....you can't" she had a complete look of shock on
her face.

"Ukyo, please calm down." Ranma said in the calmest voice he could.

"Sorry Ranma, that was just a complete shock to me." Trying to regain
her composure.

"That's alright. To tell you the truth I was expecting something like
that. Now I know you are wondering why. Well the answer is....
Everybody's doing something in their life. Akane has her acting.
Nabiki will someday be a very successful businesswoman. Kasumi has her
new husband and soon a family. You have your business and Shampoo will
be a leader of her tribe someday. What do I have? Yes, I know I have
the dojo, but that really isn't mine either. I've had my life chosen
for me....my whole life. From me becoming a martial artist to being
engaged to Akane. I never really was able to develop whom
Ranma really is. Instead I walk around acting like I don't care,
keeping my feelings in. I never really saw the world. I want to
experience everything. I really don't know when or if I'll come back."
Ranma looks down not wanting to see Ucchan's face.

"Ranma, W...What a.....about Akane? What about..." looking down to the
ground. "me?"

Looking over at Ucchan, who starts to cry. This was the hardest thing
to do. The easiest way would be to stay where it is comfortable. That
is the easy way out though. He must leave to find out who he really is
on the inside.

"I care about both of you and I am sorry Ucchan"

Reaching up to touch her face. She looks up with tears in her eyes.
This breaks his heart, knowing that he caused her this much pain.

"I'm not going to tell Akane, and you will promise not to tell her till
she is on her break. She has a lot to deal with and this has nothing
to do with her. I know her and she will really take this hard."

"Doesn't that show how much she cares for you"

"Yes, but when she left for college we had an understanding that are
engagement may not last. We gave each other the freedom to live our
own lives and grow from it. I maybe back though; Akane will be
graduating in one year. I maybe back to see her graduate. Then we
will see what direction our lives have taken us."

"When do you plan on leaving, * sniff *, Ranma?"

" I feel that tomorrow would be best, or I may never get the courage to
leave again."

"Oh Ranma....." more to herself "you jackass"

"The only other person I'm telling is Kasumi. She has been like a
mother to me. Who knows maybe you can visit me, wherever I settle
down."

"What about your parents, shouldn't they know."

"Are you crazy, my mom will get out her Katana and try and force me to
commit seppuku and my father will go on about how I'm dishonoring the
family. Sorry...I can live without that."

Ranma smiles as he leans over and gives his Ucchan a hug. Holding her
for a very long time. He will miss Ukyo very much. They have grown so
much together. If things were different he would have married her. She
will always be his best friend though.

"Lets go, I will walk you back to the restaurant." Offering his hand to
Ukyo.

Ukyo nods as she takes Ranma's hand. He helps her up to as they start
to walk back to the restaurant. The walk is quiet on the way back and
a little sad.

As they approach Ucchan's, Ranma turns to Ukyo and hugs her again.
She holds him tightly not wanting to let him go. They eventually
separate as Ranma turns to walk away.

As he walks, he quickly pushes back tears that are starting to swell
up. He doesn't turn around, but continues on heading back home.

As Ukyo looks on "I Love you Ranma,......more than you will ever know" she
watches Ranma walking away. Getting out her keys to open the door.
Ukyo opens the door and is about to walk in. She pause, Ukyo turns to
look as Ranma turns the corner. Ukyo walks in to her restaurant and
heads to her room, to reflect on where her life will be heading now.

********

Ranma has been walking awhile; he finally ends up back at home. He
looks at the front gate, giving a sigh he opens the gate and walks in.

As he walks into the courtyard he smells something good coming from the
kitchen. His stomach starts to rumble. Being preoccupied all day,
Ranma forgot to eat something since breakfast. He decides the best
time to tell them will be during dinner. He gets a little nervous
thinking about it.

Ranma walks into the house and heads towards the kitchen. He enters
the kitchen and starts to smile. He enters to see Dr. Tofu and Kasumi
kissing. He watches for a sec. The love between the two is almost
blinding. He should let them know he is there though.

"hmmm" pretending to clear is throat.

They quickly break their kiss and turn towards Ranma. Ranma smiles
watching the two blush so brightly.

"Oh dear, Hello Ranma" Kasumi is the one blushing the brightest.
Completely embarrassed.

"Good evening Ranma" Dr. Tofu tries to cover up his embarrassment.

"Hi Oneechan, What's up Dr. Tofu?" trying not to laugh at the
embarrassed couple.

"Will you be joining us tonight for dinner Ranma?"

"Yes, Oneechan, and I have something to tell the two of you"

Kasumi as usual, "Oh my I hope nothing's wrong"

"No...nothing's wrong. I will tell you guys at dinner."

"O.k, well dinner is almost ready. Go wash up and the table will be set
when you're done"

Ranma nods and goes upstairs to wash and change. He grabs a towel and
some clothes. Thinking how is he going to go through with this. Can
he really just leave everyone that he cares so much about, he knows he
must do this or he is going to feel like a coward. Ranma heads
downstairs and enters the bathroom.

********

As Ranma sits at the table, he looks over the wonderful array of food
that Kasumi prepared. This is what he is going to miss the most. How
can he say that? He will miss everyone here, but he has always thought
with his stomach, which got him in trouble plenty of times. Ranma
looks up to see Kasumi and Dr. Tofu looking at him.

"What?" Ranma says kinda puzzled.

"Weren't you going to be telling us something" Kasumi says with her
usual smile.

"Uh, Oh yeah. Sorry, your cooking always distracts me"

"Thank-you" Kasumi says still smiling.

"Well......um......well....."

"What is wrong Ranma" Kasumi starting to get worried now.

Ranma looks at Kasumi and then Dr. Tofu. "Well I plan on leaving
Nerima. I don't know how long I will be gone. If I even decide to
come back."

"Oh Dear"
".........."

"This wasn't an easy decision, but I wanted more out of my life. I
want some direction in it. So I thought about it and I think leaving
Nerima would be the best thing for me." Ranma's starting to feel
uneasy and very sad.

"Where do you plan to go Ranma." Dr. Tofu says with no hint of how he
feels in it.

"I don't know Dr. Tofu, maybe America. I have always wanted to travel
there."

"Well Ranma, I know how you feel and we will miss you, but I understand
and always remember that you will have a home here, always."

Ranma looks and Dr. Tofu "Thanks, Dr. Tofu"

"Um Ranma" Kasumi is starting to get choked up.

Ranma turns to look at Kasumi. She's starting to cry. This breaks his
heart, she has always been the kindest person to him. Almost like a
second mother. She would never judge him. He will miss Kasumi very
much. "Please don't cry Oneechan.".

"* sniff * I can't help it." Looking up "I'm alright, I'm just going
to miss you Ranma"

"I'll miss all of you guys, but this is something that I must do."
Looking determined.

"When do you plan on leaving"

"Tomorrow morning, Dr. Tofu."

"Ne??!!" Both Kasumi and Dr. Tofu looked bug eyed and puzzled.

"I figure why wait. It will only make it harder to leave. I saved
some money and have enough to get me by for a month or so, till I can
find some work anyways."

"Ranma, you have been like a brother to me. You are and will always be
a part of this family, no matter what happens." Something just came to
Kasumi. "Ummm..Ranma...What does Akane say about this?"

"Well that is another thing. She doesn't know and I want it to stay
that way till she's on vacation anyways. She has enough to worry
about. I don't want to be the cause of her having a bad semester. Will
you guys promise not to tell her."

Ranma looks at Kasumi and Dr. Tofu, who nod in agreement.

"It seems like you thought this through. I'll miss treating your
injuries Ranma"

Ranma smiles at Dr. Tofu, reminiscing about the many, many, many times
he walked into his office with a huge lump on his head or something
that may seem broken.

Kasumi interrupting his thoughts, "The food is getting cold, everyone
eat."

That was all the encouragement Ranma needed as he started wolfing down
the food.

********

Ranma decided to get up before everyone. He didn't want to have to say
goodbye again. He said them last night, which was very hard.

Ranma starts to pick up his backpack, he didn't need to pack very
much. He is a martial artist, material objects are not a necessity.
Deciding to wear his usual Chinese shirt and black pants, Ranma opens
the door to his room. Taking one last look back and he shuts the door
behind him as he heads downstairs. He stops at Akane's door andtouches
the duck shape name plate. He puts the hands on the doorknob and is
about to open the door. He stops himself, quickly he turns and heads
downstairs.

Ranma downstairs looks around, letting the flood of memories come into
him. Taking a deep breath, Ranma concentrates on the good memories.
He looks around one last time and heads towards the front door.

"Hmmm. Uncle Tendo must have had too much sake at mom and pops last
night. He's usually up at this time."

As Ranma walks to the front door, he notices an envelope with his name
on it. He opens it up and takes out the letter. Looking inside the
envelope he notices the money. Opening up the letter Ranma starts to
read:

<Dear Ranma,

Having you and your father in our lives was the best thing that
Happened to this family. I want to say that I Love you and will
Welcome you back. I took the liberty of canceling your classes.>

"Oh yeah I forgot about my students" he continues reading.

<I know that this isn't much, and we would give more. Here is
10,000 yen. I hope that this will help. Be safe on your trip and
we hope that you will find what you are looking for. Take care
of yourself and keep in touch.

With Love
Kasumi>

Ranma sighs, he folds up the letter and puts it back in the envelope.
Putting the envelope in his bag, Ranma walks out the door. He walks
into the courtyard looks out at the pond. Almost hearing the sparring
he used to do with his father every morning followed by the usual *
splash *.

Ranma has grown to accept his curse for now. Ranma over the years has
grown accustom to his curse. Of course that will not stop him from
trying to find a cure first.

Ranma looks out to the sky. The sun is about to rise, walking by the
pond a fish jumps out of the water. Ranma turns his head to look, he
smiles. He knows that today is going to be a good day. He turns and
heads through the front gate and onto the street.

As he stands in the street he looks up to the sky. The sun has fully
risen now. Choosing a direction he heads down the street. To where, he
doesn't know. For once he doesn't know where his life is leading.
Getting really excited, Ranma leaps on the rooftops and runs in a
direction out of Nerima and into the unknown. No, not the end, but a
new beginning in his life.

End of chapter 1

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.