[Ranma][FanFic] The Road Less Traveled ch2

ran...@yahoo.com

Mar 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/26/00
The Road Less Traveled
By Michael "Ranma13" Cerda

3/17/00

I do not take credit for the Ranma 1/2 characters. They are owned and
created by the goddess Rumiko Takahashi. The rights go to her and Viz
communication. This is my own story and in no way express how Rumiko
wanted her story to go. With this at mind, enjoy.

--------------------

Chapter 2: Honesty

As she looks out the window to the passing landscape, she wonders how
he's going to react to her news. This semester has not been easy and
with it being spring break, she thought it would be best to go home and
tell him before he found out from someone else. At least Nabiki
decided to come along for encouragement.

"Nabiki?"

"Yes...?" looking up from her newspaper.

"When do you think I should tell him?" still looking out the window.

"I don't know, Akane. There's so much history between you two. He
will be hurt you know, but I think when he finds out that you're
happy.... that will be the only thing that will matter to him." Going
back to her paper.

"Yes, I know, that is why this is so damn hard for me."

<ding, dung, ding>
<Next stop Nerima. Please be sure to take all belongings with you. We
hope your trip was enjoyable. Thank-you for riding with us today and
please come back again>

"I wonder if I should tell him now and use the rest of the vacation to
help him get over it or wait till the end and hope for the best."
Akane looks at the familiar landscape passing by.

"If you want my opinion, I think you should tell him as quickly as
possible" looking up from her paper to look at Akane.

"Yeah I think your right" turning to Nabiki giving her a slight nod

The train pulls into the station, as Akane and Nabiki start to get
their things together. The good thing about coming home for a week is
that they only have to pack a couple of bags.

They decided to walk home instead of taking the bus. The house wasn't
that far from the station and it gave Akane the chance to collect her
thoughts before she had to face Ranma.

"Are we nervous?" Nabiki says with a slight grin to Akane.

"Yes, a little." As Akane looks down at her hands, which are shaking
very noticeably. "I'll be fine though."

"I know you will be, don't worry, everything will turn out alright in
the end." As Nabiki puts a reassuring hand on Akane's shoulder.

They approach the Tendo household, as Akane looks up at the front
gate. Akane hesitates to go through.

"Well just don't stand there, go on in." As Nabiki, gives Akane a
little nudge.

Akane gives a sigh and walks through the gate. As she enters, she
notices that something is different. She doesn't know, but something
is wrong. Somehow the place seems emptier. The silence sends a chill
down her spine.

"Do you sense something is wrong Nabiki" Looking around the courtyard.

"You get that feeling too." Also looking around the courtyard.

Akane nods as they walk into the house. As they put their bags down,
they hear noises coming from the kitchen. They look at each other and
head towards the kitchen. To their relief they see Kasumi at the sink
washing dishes.

"Oneechan!" they both cry out at the same time.

"Aiyee" Kasumi screams, throwing her dishes up in the air.

Akane quickly catches the dishes before they hit the ground, as Nabiki
runs over to hug her sister. Akane trying to balance the dishes on her
hands and arms puts the dishes on the counter and joins in on the group
hug.

"How are my sisters doing?" Kasumi says with an exuberant look on her
face.

"Good, still getting offers from companies, of course I refuse, want to
finish my schooling first. Then I will consider their offers."

"Oh that is wonderful Nabiki. What about you Akane?"

"Well, I've been acting in various Shakespeare festivals. My teacher
thinks that I have a rare talent. He says that I will go far in the
business." Akane looks on very proudly.

"Oh, I'm so proud of the both of you. You both have made father proud
also." Giving her sisters the patented Kasumi smile.

"Speaking of Daddy, where is he?" as Nabiki looks around.

"Oh he always goes over to the Saotome's."

"uh Kasumi?" looking nervous.

"Yes Akane"

"Where's Ranma?" Looking around, hoping to see him somewhere.

"Oh dear....." Kasumi is starting to get sad look on her face.

"What is it Oneechan?" Akane, starting to get a bad feeling now.

"Well, huh Akane?"

"Yes?" Akane, starting to get annoyed now.

"Oh dear...Ranma has left." Finally saying what she wanted to get out.

"Oh is that it, when will he be back." Giving out a sigh of relief.

"No Akane, Ranma has left Nerima for good." Almost about to cry
herself, knowing that this will break Akane's heart.

"WHAT??!!" Akane and Nabiki yell at the same time, both with the same
shocked look.

"How? Why? Where??" Tears starting to fill up in Akane's Eyes.

Nabiki looking surprised by Akane's reaction. She thought that would
be the best thing to have happened. Unless.........

"Well the where, I don't know. He was mentioning something about the
U.S. Why, well, I think I can understand. You see his whole life,
Ranma has had his life made up for him. To him taking over the
Anything Goes School. To being engaged with you, but in all that time
Ranma has never really been able to develop his own person. Just the
shallow, egotistical person that he acts around us, but when you left
he changed as a person and has grown. Something you do not see because
when you come back from school he puts up that mask again. I think he
wants to find out who he really is, in here" Kasumi pointing toward her
heart.

"He will be back soon, wont he?" Akane says with a pleading look.

"I'm sorry Akane, Ranma said he might never come back to Nerima
again." Kasumi having an apologetic look on her face.

"NO!!....Why din't he tell me" Akane about to break down.

"Well he said he wanted to save you the grief and not ruin the semester
for you. I guess that it's too late for that."

Calming down a little, "I'll be fine. * sniff * When did he leave?"
Akane looking up trying to keep herself from breaking down.

Kasumi looking up at the ceiling thinking. "About a week ago. Yes a
week ago."

Akane nods, "I'm sorry Kasumi. I need to be alone for awhile." As
Akane, turns around and runs upstairs to her room.

*********

Akane enters her room and breaks down. She closes the door and slides
down against it. She is hugging her knees like she is hugging
herself. She starts to cry.

"I'm sorry Ranma. * sniff * Only now do I realize how much I really do
care for you. I wish that we could have done things more differently."

Akane gets up and walks to her bed. She lies down and pushes her head
into the pillow. She turns her head to the side and gazes at the
wall. Not really looking at anything particular. She wonders why
does she realize now when it is too late.

********

Sitting downstairs at the table, Kasumi is drinking tea with Nabiki,
discussing what has just happened.

"So, Akane was going to break off the engagement with Ranma huh."
Taking a sip of her tea.

"Yes, oneechan. Akane has been seeing somebody this semester, a very
nice young man. Akane felt that it was like cheating, so she was going
to tell Ranma about him." Also sipping her tea.

"Except now, Ranma left and Akane doesn't know how she really feels
now." As Kasumi, looks past Nabiki into the courtyard.

Nabiki nods as they continue to sip their tea. They both are thinking
about their sister who is at a crossroad in her life right now. Kasumi
breaks the silence. "What do you think Nabiki?"

"I don't know, oneechan. I have a feeling though that are little
sister may try to do something stupid." Giving Kasumi her evil grin.

"What do you mean?" Giving Nabiki the patented Kasumi quizzical look.

Nabiki with a smirk "knowing our little sister. She may try to run off
and go look for Ranma."

Kasumi nods, "Yes, she is crazy enough to do something like that, huh"
continuing to drink her tea.

********

In Akane's room, the bed she was sleeping in is empty. The curtains
are blowing lightly, because of the window being open. Out the window
there is a figure running down the street.

********

Ukyo is clearing off a table. The lunch rush was over and Ukyo was
very tired. She should close up till dinner. At least this will give
her time to clean up the place. As Ukyo starts taking dishes to the
kitchen, she notices somebody running by.

"That look like......"

Ukyo quickly sets the dishes down and runs out the door. "Akane!!!!"
Ukyo yells at the top of her lungs.

Akane stops and turns around. She doesn't know whether she should stop
or continue on. Akane sighs and runs back towards Ukyo.

"Uh, Hi Ukyo. How are you today?" Trying not to sound impatient.

"Fine thanks, Akane, where are you heading in such a hurry?" With a
puzzled look on her face.

Akane grimaces, this is so hard for her. She was seeing somebody at
school, but now all she wants is to find Ranma and bring him back.
She's been such a fool. How come she never told him how she felt.
God, she was so confused rightnow. "Well......I don't know where I'm
going" Akane is looking down, trying not to cry.

"What's wrong Akane?"

Akane looks up with tears swelling in her eyes. She can't hold back
anymore. Akane lunges to Ukyo, crying on her shoulder. She lets
everything out now.

Ukyo holds Akane, having an idea of what this is about now. "I'm sorry
Akane."

Akane pulls away and stops herself from crying. She wipes her tears
away with her sleeves. "I can't believe he's gone, Ukyo."

"I know sugah, I wish he would come back too. I miss that Jackass."
Ukyo says trying to bring a smile to Akane's face.

"Where do you think he went?" Akane looking up at the sky, trying to
not to cry again.

Shrugging her shoulders, "Don't know. He mentioned the U.S, but your
guess is as good as mine. You know for sure that he went to China to
try and find a cure for his curse. After that who knows. I know,
let's go inside and talk, I was going to close till dinner anyway."

Akane nods as they walk into Ucchan's. She looks around; at least some
things haven't changed.

"Go sit down at the bar and I'll fix us some food." Pointing to a stool.

Akane takes a seat in front of the Okonimiyaki bar. "So, What have you
been up to Ukyo" trying to strike up a conversation.

"Oh, Nothing. Business has been picking up. Hopefully I will save
enough money to open a second shop. What about you sugah?"

"Well, I maybe heading on a Shakespearean Tour." Still wondering
whether she should do that or not. "My teacher wants me to apply. I
don't know, this would mean that I would have to tour the world. He
says that this would count towards my graduation, but I will be away
for almost a year."

"When would this start?" As Ukyo, prepares to cook.

"Well it will begin in the fall and last till next summer. I'm not
sure what play or how many cities it will go through." Watching Ukyo
cook her famous Okonomiyaki.

"You should go for it." As Ukyo, hands Akane a plate of Okonomiyaki.

Akane looks down at the plate and starts eating away. "This is great
Ukyo!" Not realizing how hungry she really was. "Ukyo, I feel so
confused."

"Why?" Looking up from her plate she fixed for herself.

"Well, I should tell you that I'm dating somebody back at school."
Almost looking ashamed.

Ukyo almost chokes on her food. "What??!!"

"Well that is why I came down during the break. I was going to tell
Ranma about him." Feeling almost more ashamed now.

Ukyo almost feeling guilty, "It's okay Akane, people do grow apart."

"That's just it Ukyo, I thought for sure this is what I wanted. Now, I
just don't know. I really do care about Ranma." Looking at her plate
now.

"Well tell me about this guy who replaced Ranma-honey"

"Well, he is an over seas student. He comes from San Francisco. He is
white/asian, brown hair, and the greatest green eyes." Akane, staring
at the wall thinking about him.

"Sound dreamy, does this American have a name?"

Snapping Akane out of her thoughts. "huh, yeah his name is
Christopher."

"Hmph...I bet he is not as cute as Ranma-honey"

"Well your......" Akane stops as she realizes what Ukyo was trying to do.

Ukyo smirks at Akane, `got you.' She thinks to herself.

********

The rest of the night went as normal as possible. They start talking
about their lives right now and where they want to be. As the night
draws to a close, Ukyo walks Akane out of the restaurant.

"Thank You Ucchan, for your hospitality." Giving Ukyo a bow.

"Your welcome, Akane." Giving a bow back.

As they hug for a little bit, they break away and Akane heads back
home. Ukyo looks on, wondering what her friend will do. Ukyo goes
into the restaurant and closes the door. Heading upstairs she turns
off the lights to get some rest. Tomorrow will be a busy day and she
needs all the rest she can get.

Akane takes the long way home; she has a lot to think about. Not only
does she have the Christopher, Ranma situation. She also has to deal
with the decision to go on the tour. This is a once in a lifetime
opportunity, but she is also afraid to go out on her own. She has many
things to think about.

Akane reaches her home and walks in. To her relief, everyone is
asleep. She carefully walks up to the stairs and enters her room. She
changes into her pajamas and gets into bed to fall asleep.

As she sleeps, she dreams of her and Christopher walking along the
beach as the sunsets. Christopher suddenly turns into Ranma. As Akane
sleeps, a smile comes across her face. Akane and Ranma are walking
down the beach holding hands. As the sun sets completely, the stars
start to shine as Ranma turns to Akane. He tenderly caresses her face
has he reaches down and kisses her lips. As they kiss for a long time,
you can see a shooting star in the distance. He brings Akane down into
the sand as they start to bring their passion to the fullest. Akane in
her bed, snuggles up tighter in her blankets as she lets out a gasp.
She then smiles even wider, as she drifts off further into her dream
sleeping happily in her bed.

********

Akane is packing her clothes, reflecting on how the rest of the week
flew by. As she finishes packing, she looks at the clock. "Whew, I
still have time to rest." Lying down on the bed she reflects on the
next day after she arrived in town.

********

Akane woke up, feeling refreshed and actually not so sad anymore. She
walks downstairs to see father looking at her and then he starts to
cry. He runs over to Akane blabbering about how his soon to be son-in-
law left. That it's a black day for the Tendo household. After awhile
it started sounding like to Akane, "Wah, Wah, wah , blah blah." Until
she heard, "you must go and bring him back."

"What?!" Akane looks at her father in shock.

"It is your duty as his fiance to bring him back." Trying to sound
very authoritative.

"No Way!!!!" Akane yells at her faather.

"Oh Kasumi......she yelled at me" turning and crying in Kasumi's arms.

"Now, now father, she didn't mean to yell at you" Trying to comfort her
father. Out of the three daughters, Kasumi was the one who knew how to
handle him the best.

"Quit overreacting, I think I know what Ranma is going through."
Thinking to herself, `I know he will be back, I'm sure of it.'

Soun is still crying, not because Akane yelled at him, but because his
daughters have grown up and it is hard for him to accept it.

"Honestly daddy." As Nabiki sits down at the table and starts to eat
breakfast.

Soun stops crying as the rest of the family sits down and also start to
eat their breakfast.

"Where is Dr. Tofu, Kasumi." Akane looking around for him.

"Is he a little too worn out." Nabiki says with an evil grin on her
face.

"Nabiki??!!" Kasumi starts to blush a deep red. "No, he went to his
office. He opens up the office very early."

Kasumi changes the subject as the girls start to talk about a different
subject. Soun looks at his three daughters, busily talking away. He
starts to have a huge smile on his face. He is happy that his family
is together again. If only for a short time, he will cherish these
times together because they are starting to get fewer and between, till
one day they will all be having their own family. Yes, he will cherish
these moments, in his eyes though thye will forever be the Tendo family.

********

Akane, still lying on the bed. It should only take a few minutes to
get to the station. She still has time as she stares at the ceiling.
It was good to get back home, even if she has been a little down the
entire week. At least they were able to all get together for one night.

********

"Ahhhhh, Saotome, good to see you" Soun reaching out to shake is best
friends hand.

"Good to see you Tendo." Returning the handshake of Soun.

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Saotome." Bowing to Nodoka

"Good afternoon, Tendo-san" Nodoka returning the bow to Soun.

Akane comes downstairs, "Hello Uncle Saotome. Hi, Auntie Saotome."

"Hi Akane."

"Hi Akane dear. How are you doing?" Nodoka walks over to Akane.

"As good as can be Auntie." Still slightly depressed over Ranma.

"That is good." Nodoka smiles gently and touches Akane face.

Akane looks up and smiles at Nodoka. "I have a surprise, I'll be
cooking dinner tonight."

All of a sudden, Genma has a shocked look on his face. He quickly
takes Soun to the side. "What are you trying to do Tendo, kill me and
my wife off for the boy leaving."

"What was I suppose to do, Saotome? She wanted to cook dinner and
since she is leaving in a couple of days and feeling very down I didn't
want to disappoint her." Trying to convince Genma.

"How about if I help you Akane dear?" Nodoka says trying to sound as
sincere as possible.

Genma and Soun look up as if a huge brilliant light is shining down on
Nodoka, as if she is an angel herself. Their spirits start to rise
with this comment.

"No, that is okay, I want to cook this all by myself. I have this
great recipe I want to try out." Akane look at her family, with a
great big smile.

Genma and Soun hopes sink, they look at Akane as if she is Death
herself. All dressed up in a black hooded robe with a sickle in her
hands.

Akane smiles as she goes into the kitchen, she comes out. "I have to
go to the market. I will be back later." As she leaves and walks out
of the door.

As soon as she leaves, Genma and Nodoka stare at Soun, who just shakes
his hands in front of him. "It's not my fault, honestly.

********

The rest of the day Soun and Genma were playing Shogi, while Nodoka and
Kasumi were talking about various subjects. Nabiki having missed out
on the gossip in Nerima was out with her friends and would be a little
late to dinner.

Akane on the other hands was busily in the kitchen making a whole lot
of noise and trying to prepare her family a nice dinner. "Finally
done, wow this looks great." Akane stares at her meal which in her eye
look like something a gourmet chef cooked. "Dinner's ready!" Yelling
out of the kitchen into the house.

Everyone gulps as they all look at each other. They slowly get up and
walk to the dinner table. They have a look as if they are walking to
their execution, as they all know, may very well be true.

"O.k everybody. Eat up." Akane motions to the food, with a huge smile
on her face.

They all sit at the table and stare at the stuff that is supposes to
pass as food.

"Doesn't it look good" Akane is staring at everyone, wondering why
they aren't digging in. "Well, aren't you going to eat." With a little
bit of anger added to her voice.

Hesitantly they put some food on their plates. As they all look at
each other, simultaneously they take a spoonful of Akane's cooking in
their mouths.

They all open their eyes extremely wide as the spoon is still in their
mouths. One by one they start to turn a pale green, which turns to a
darker green every second. Genma, Soun, Nodoka, and Kasumi quickly
rush up and head towards the bathroom, trying to be the first to reach
it. Unfortunately they all arrive at the same time and get stuck in
the bathroom door.

Akane just blinks at what just happened. "I don't think I forgot
anything?" As she tastes her own cooking. "Bleah, What did I forget
this time?"

Nabiki enters the house to hear the chaos coming from the bathroom.
She notices a faint, but unmistakable smell. "Looks like I came just
in time to miss Akane's cooking."

As she says this Dr. Tofu comes in. "What is going on Nabiki?"

"Well it looks like Akane's cooking has taken yet more victims."
Pointing to the bathroom.

"Oh!" As Dr. Tofu, runs with his bag to treat the poisoned. Relieved
that he had a late appointment today.

"Just like the old days." As Nabiki heads upstairs whistling to
herself.

********

Akane laughs, "yeah that day was kinda funny, Nabiki was right, it did
feel like old times."

Akane takes her bags downstairs. They're to say goodbye was her father
and Kasumi. Nabiki was waiting impatiently tapping her watch. "Come
on Akane, we're running late."

Akane runs downstairs; she drops her bags to give Kasumi a hug. "Take
care Akane, have a good trip back."

"You to oneechan." Akane tries to keep herself from crying. Too bad
her father doesn't have the same will power. Akane approaches her
father, who seems to be in tears.

"Now, Now Daddy, you said that you wouldn't cry." Nabiki said trying
to get out of the house before they miss their train.

"Yes, Yes. I know." As he give his two daughters a big hug. "I'm
sorry, Genma and Nodoka were going to come, but they still haven't
recovered from their illness.

Akane grimaces, "tell them that I'm sorry."

"Don't give it a second thought, Akane." Kasumi says smiling trying to
keep everything cheerful.

"O.k bye father, bye Oneechan"
"Bye daddy, bye oneechan."

As they run out the front gate trying to make their train. "If you
didn't take your time we wouldn't have to be running now."

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Let's just get there." As they keep on running.

They arrived at the train station just in time. The train is about to
pull out of the station while they were taking their seats.

<Ding da Ding>
<Thank-you for riding with us today. Non stop to Kyoto. Our ride will
approximately take an hour and a half. Thank you and enjoy your ride>
<Ding da Ding>

"Well Akane, What are you doing to do now?" Nabiki says giving Akane a
stern look.

"What do you mean Nabiki?" looking puzzled.

"With your boy problem of'course" Giving Akane a grin.

"Well to tell you the truth, I came here to tell Ranma about
Christopher, but now I think I'm going to break up with Christopher."
Looking out the window now.

"Ney??!!"

"Well, now that Ranma is gone, I realized how I really feel about him.
I can understand now why he left. That is why I'm going on that
tour." Not wanting to look at her sister.

"That's Great Akane! Even though I will miss very much......Wow, your
going to be gone for a very long time."

"Yeah I know, but his will be a great learning experience. Who knows,
maybe when I get back, Ranman will be back too." Still looking out the
window.

"You never know" Nabiki starts to pull out her paper to look at
today's numbers.

"Yeah, you never know." As Akane, continues to look out the window.
She came to Nerima so sure she knew what she wanted. Now she is doing
something completely different. Akane realizes that with Ranma
leaving, this brought out something in her.

As she watches the landscape pass by, Akane knows now that she has to
follow her heart. Only the heart knows what is truly honest, in
yourself.

End of Chapter 2

Comments send to ran...@yahoo.com
http://www.ranma13.homestead.com