[Ranma][FanFic] Anijza 2 / Part 3: The Escape

Nicholas Stone

Nov 2, 2003, 1:46:15 AM11/2/03
Ranma 1/2

Anijza
Part Two:

`In Hell as In Forever'

Nicholas Stone

The Escape
Hell's utter despair and wretchedness did not stop
Ranma from scheming up a way to escape this dungeon. After
seeing what happens to Anijza's many consorts, he knew that
he had to get out and away from this place before she did
whatever it was that would reduce him to such a miserable
existence. What lay beyond her palace walls might not be
pleasant, but it would be better that that.
All he needed now was an opportunity, and it was about
to come right through his door. Normally, one of the guards
would peer in on him to make sure he was not trying to break
away the bars of the window, or harm himself in any way.
Anijza's commands were clear on this; failure meant certain
un-remissible torments indescribable with words. Ranma
knew she wanted him perfectly sound for the upcoming
marriage, but that was not going to happen if he could help
it.
After the last visit, Ranma prepared his attempt. The
stone slabs above the door fit his needs, high enough for
him to get out of view, and several rough edges protruded
out allowing him a solid purchase in the gloom. Now the
waiting began, and it was a short one as the next guard that
passed on its rounds paused upon seeing the empty cell.
Slowly, the cell door creaked open, the slow glide of a
hooded man moving in search of Anijza's prized tribute.
Waiting until the last possible moment, Ranma pounced
landing square on the guards back. They collapsed to the
ground and Ranma pushed himself away crawling for the open
door. A clammy grip clamped tight around one ankle jerking
hard. Ranma's face hit the floor, and he turned drawing his
free leg back and kicked out straight into the maw of the
hood. A sickly pop sounded, but there was no time for
revulsion, another sturdy blow forcing the hand free.
Ranma heard the door of the cell starting to close.
Great, they can do things like this, he thought. A
desperate scramble and he rolled out into the corridor
within a hairsbreadth of having his legs crushed. It
clanged shut, and Ranma slammed the locks home.
"Sorry, guy but I've got go!" he said through the door
window.
Beneath the glow of the torches lining the hall,
nothing apparent marked a way out. It would be better too
just go and he bolted up the corridor.

* * * * *

Anijza's throne room was quiet while she sat on her
knees looking over the slowly smoldering form of her
favorite pet lying on the floor. Its once powerful form now
shuddered in spasms of agony, the dark pelt matted with dark
clots of ethereal blood where Tofu's wards had burrowed into
its skin. It would be only a matter of time, Anijza knew
before this ones existence would end.
Her left hand gripped tight around the recovered
locket, dark thoughts of revenge running hot in her mind.
"Akane," she seethed. Another low moan came from her
pet and Anijza stroked its mane delicately to sooth its
pain. "I am so sorry. I should have known that toad would
try something. It is my fault, and I will seek revenge upon
her."
The creature growled then its head lowered to the
floor. One last rush of breath and it was no more.
Silently, Anijza stood up and watched the body crumble
into mere speckles of dust and matter. Her jaw clinched
tight, quickly relaxing as pain reminded her of the blow
received from Akane. "Mmm, never should have projected
myself into it like I did," she mused. "She actually hit me
with enough force to cause injury."
That in itself astounded Anijza. Her thoughts were
troubled as she returned to her throne. "To hurt me like
she did? It is not possible!"
All known laws told her that was true, but the soreness
in her jaw was not imaginary. Did Akane Tendo possess some
sort of power she did not detect earlier? Still, now with
her locket safely retrieved, there would be no way for her
to come to Hell's domains.
A slight thought opened the locket and Anijza sat
gazing lustfully upon Ranma's innocent features. "I will
make our love last a long, long time," she whispered to his
image. Anijza clutched the locket close to her chest,
grinning brightly until a low gong suddenly began to chime.
"What?" she said, sitting up with a start.
It hat been a long time since she heard this sound
before. It was the call to arms, and that meant something
was wrong down in her dungeons.
"Kendral!"
There was no need to shout, Kendral's silent form
entering through the main doors.
"Your prospective consort has escaped, milady," he
said, kneeling before her.
Anijza's cry filled the throne room and even Kendral
covered his ears against its shrill tone.
"How did he escape!" she demanded to know.
"He is resourceful, this Ranma Saotome. Lured a Keeper
into his cell and ambushed him."
Anijza gripped her hair, turning away from Kendral.
"Disaster!" she thought. "The Master will surely be angry
with me for allowing him to escape."
She stood straight just then, tipping her head to one
side with a smirk. "And where will he go?" she asked
herself, facing Kendral again.
"We have begun searching the grounds and surrounding
area, mistress. Ranma will not-."
"Call them off," Anijza instructed him.
Kendral paused for a second. "Excuse me, milady?"
"You heard me. Call them off."
She sensed Kendral's confusion and let out a light
chuckle. Anijza went to a table, hips swinging from side to
side teasing Kendral as he watched. Picking up a goblet and
pitcher, she poured herself a cup of dark steaming liquid,
cutting him a brief look before taking a sip.
"Not that I need to explain myself to you, Kendral, but
I want Ranma to see how futile it is trying to escape me.
Let us allow him a chance endure some of Maladomini's
hospitality. Then... then he might straighten out his act."
"And if not?"
She smiled. "Then I will enjoy the thrill of the hunt
once more. It has been such a long time since I've had that
pleasure."
"It has, mistress. Not since-." Kendral stopped,
Anijza seeing his shoulders sagging down. "Not since my
time," he finished.
Anijza came up and ran a slim finger around the opening
of Kendral's hood. "Yes, not since your time. Now we will
allow Ranma his tour, and then if he has not returned
willingly, we release the hounds on him. Won't that be
nice?"
"Not for him."
Anijza giggled deviously. "No, not at all. Prepare my
armor."

* * * * *

The miasma oozing from the putrid growth choked Ranma
as he ran in headlong flight up the only road he could see
leading away from Anijza's dark palace. He wanted to stop,
even contemplated running back and giving up, but those
thoughts quickly passed when he caught sight of what
appeared to be a city off in the distance. In the murky
light, if it could be called that, the buildings stretched
as far as his eye could see along the horizon, giving rise
to hope that somewhere inside its expanse was a way home.
Determination strengthened his resolve, and with steady
but difficult steps, he moved on finally reaching the main
gates. More like the maw of a creature's mouth, the
entrance was lined with sharp white stakes that glistened
from the moisture in the air, and the road leading beyond
also appeared slick with dew.
It did not feel right to Ranma but he stepped up to the
threshold peering into the city. Gloomy figures skulked
along the dimly lit streets, a mist bubbling up through the
cracked and broken cobblestones. His throat tightened with
fear and Ranma took a hesitant step back.
"No. I've got to go in," he said to himself. Drawing
a breath, Ranma began walking forwards.
"HHHHIIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!"
"AAAAHHHHH!"
His own cry echoed through the air as Ranma felt his
feet slid from beneath him. He slammed hard onto his back
then cried out again, as what he thought were spikes now
turned out to be teeth that closed down upon him. Training
took over then, Ranma rolling rapidly through the gates into
the city itself. The teeth slammed down, but his troubles
were not over yet as another set pushed out of the arch
above him. Again, he rolled clearing the gates and the
teeth slammed down centimeters from the soles of his feet.
A moment of eerie silence passed then just above the
quiet Ranma heard a distant, disembodied voice say, "Welcome
to Malagaro."
As it faded off, Ranma rose up on shaky legs and looked
around again. He could make out more figures walking about
the streets. Some appeared to be ghost, wispy forms gliding
along their way; while others were solid clothed in tattered
rags. A grim sight but he had knew he had to stop one of
these wretched souls and ask if there was any way back to
his world.
Ranma's steps were brisk while he moved further into
the city. There were moans, some light, some loud coming
from shuttered unseen buildings. In fact, he noticed that
all of the windows were closed up even the highest ones
around. Unwelcome refuge he thought to himself, these poor
souls. Once I get back, I will definitely be attending
services on a regular basis.
Up the street, Ranma spotted a lone figure standing in
the middle of the street. Clad in a dark hood and robe,
fear shot through him and he ducked into the archway of a
building. Damn, one of Anijza's minions! Carefully, he
peered around the corner. The hood figure had not moved,
and Ranma saw that it stared straight up to the sky.
Slate gray since I've been here, Ranma frowned. Maybe
this wasn't one of Anijza people. To find out meant
confronting him. He stepped back out into the street and
approached the strange man. Not a sign of movement or hint
that he even knew someone was there, Ranma looked him over
for a second.
"Uh, e'scuse me?" he said.
Still nothing, Ranma began inching around front. "Uh,
excuse me," he said again.
The unnerving silence started to grate on Ranma's
nerves. "HEY!" he shouted, and that drew a response from
the strange man.
His head turned down giving Ranma a good look at his
face. It was unusually long and narrow, skin powder blue in
color. A wide thin smile creased his lips, but what
disturbed Ranma the most where his eyes. They were dark
narrow slits and locked squarely on him.
"Hmmmm?" came a high-pitched hum.
Ranma cleared his throat. "Uh. could you t-tell me if
there is a way out of here?"
The man's lips did not move, but a voice could be heard
coming from him. "Out of here?"
"Yeah, out of here."
A laugh, high in tone followed as the man's head tipped
back up to the sky. His head wavered about apparently
humored by Ranma's request then he looked back down on him
again.
"Out of Malagaro?"
"No, out of Hell period!" Ranma shot back.
The laughter increased. "Out of our city?"
"No, no! I want out of Hell! I don't belong here!"
"Not belonging here? Heh heh heh heh.. Leaving our
city?"
"Will you stop saying that!"
Ranma started for the man ready to break him in two,
but then stopped realizing that probably would not be a wise
thing to do. He drew back and paused to gather his wits.
"Listen, pal. I was kidnapped and brought here against
my will. I don't belong in Hell, and I certainly don't need
any more trouble from you, so if you know anything please
tell me. Okay?"
The laughter stopped but just for a moment before
picking up. "Our city. our city. you do not like your fate
in our city (heh heh heh heh heh heh)?"
"It sucks, and I'm ready to go find somebody else that
could help me instead of Jeckle and Hyde."
"Yeeehhaahahahahaha! Our city. our city.
yeeehahahahahah!"
Enough, Ranma spun on his heels and stated to storm off
when a clammy pale hand clasped down firmly on his shoulder.
He looked back waiting for something to happen.
"Your fate. not too your likings. choose another."
"I don't want another fate!" shouted Ranma spinning
around. "I want out of here!"
The stranger's hand panned over to a road just behind
them. "The station is that way," he said levelly.
"Station? You mean like a train station?"
A pause and then annoying hackle, the man tipped his
head back. "Station!" he let out, laughter increasing.
Insanity, that is what this place does to a person,
thought Ranma. He left the man cackling in the middle of
the street running off to find the station that might lead
him out of Anijza's realms and back home.

* * * * *

A long red cape billowed behind Anijza, its folds
rippling in the strong rush of air flowing through the open
window she stood before. She gazed across the expanse of
the surrounding lands, her dark breastplate reflecting the
flickering torchlight illuminating the room. Gauntlet clad
hands flexed repeatedly, thigh-high boots of glistening
black leather creaking as she shifted her stance impatiently
awaiting word on Ranma's whereabouts.
Finally, a knock came on the door, Kendral gliding
carefully in.
"And he's come back?" she said without breaking her
gaze.
"Unfortunately, no milady."
"Then where is he?"
"Your prospective consort is approaching the station."
A brow arched high, Anijza twisting her lips to one
side with annoyance. He really expects to escape me.
Clasping her hands behind her back, Anijza turned around.
"Kendral, Ranma is proving to be a difficult soul to
subdue."
"Indeed, milady. If he dose manage to board one of the
trains, then by all right he will be fair game to whatever
custodian that happens to detect him in their realm."
"I did not don my armor for nothing, Kendral," snapped
Anijza with a vicious scowl. "Ranma is mine and I will
fight any whosoever decides to try and take him, laws be
damned!"
Kendral bowed, moving out of her reach. "No insult was
intended, milady."
She stared him and then reached out taking up her long
battle spear leaning next to the doorway. "Tell Buln we fly
immediately. oh yes, and release the hounds."
"As you command, milady."

* * * * *

The closer Ranma got to the station the thicker the
traffic of ghoulish pedestrians became. They were all
headed in his direction, lumbering along like a heard of
cows getting larger and slower. Soon he found himself
surrounded by the crowd and the way ahead ground to a halt.
Murmurs, low sobs, the moans of hopelessness and despair
filled the air, not to mention rank odors choking his
breath.
Finally, Ranma had enough. "Excuse me," he said,
forcing aside the being in front of him. It wailed angrily
turning around arms failing at his face. Ranma pressed
back, blocking the blows then felt a cold chill along his
backside. A girl, or ghost of one, stood sobbing sadly into
her hands. She looked up at him and he cringed. Her eyes
were dark sockets, no mouth and there was an odd glowing
ember burning in what would be her stomach.
"Ahhh!" cried Ranma. He panicked forcing his way
further through the crowd. Bony hands groped at his body,
wails and shrieks following along his path. He pressed on
ignoring everything around him, swinging and pushing aside
whatever got in his way. Above the cries, Ranma heard the
sound of a train's engine thrumming in the air. I must be
close, he thought increasing his pace.
Soon the crowd began to thin then a gate of high spiked
iron rods appeared. Pressed up against then, Ranma could
see a train station much like the ones in Tokyo complete
with turnstiles and platform billboards indicating departure
and arrival times. The train beyond however bore no
resemblance to any he'd ever seen. The engine was large and
made out of blackened bone glossed over and polished to a
bright shine. A skull of some exotic creature made up the
front end, and the rest of the cars were made out of the
same material. It reminded him of a large snake or Chinese
Dragon, and then he saw through the windows apparitions
taking their seats in preparation for the journey ahead.
I've got to get on that train," he said, and started
forcing his way towards the main entrance. Just short of
the gates, something large took hold of Ranma by his head
and shoulders lifting him high into the air. For a moment,
he could not see anything, the thick meaty mass stifling his
cries. A break appeared and then Ranma felt his body being
shifted around.
"A tad bit impatient there, fellow!" bellowed a loud
gruff voice.
Ranma looked up and gasped.
He found himself in the grip of a large giant whose
thickly bearded face and dark menacing scowl were scan
centimeters from his face. A station attendant Ranma could
see from the dark blue uniform and cap, he stared back
speechless in terror. The Giant pulled Ranma up closer, and
then his eyes shifted down to the throng of souls and ghouls
pressing up against the turnstiles.
"Back you heathen!" he scowled, the palm of his free
hand forcing the crowd away. Quietly, he set Ranma down but
kept a tight hold on him by the back of his neck.
"Now then, young fellow, what is it that has you so
impatient, eh?" asked the Giant.
Ranma's grimaced in pain and the grip slacked off.
"Ah, I need to get on that train," he managed to say after a
moment.
"You don't say?" A smile formed and the Giant leaned
down close to Ranma. "Many a soul has need of boarding the
trains. What is so special that I must allow you passage?"
"I don't. I don't belong here!"
The Giant leaned back. He made a short grunt, and then
let out with a bellow of a laugh, tipping his head back to
the sky. He could hardly contain himself stopping only when
the throng again pressed up against the turnstiles.
"I said back, you mongrels!" and another firm push
forced them away.
"You see," continued the Giant, "everyone would like to
board; but unfortunately, most do not have the credit to buy
a ticket."
"T-ticket?" said Ranma.
"Yes. Everyone must buy a ticket to board the train."
A long tense pause followed, the Giant eyeing Ranma.
"Well?" he finally said.
"Well what?"
"Let's see you credit!" exclaimed the Giant, holding
out a hand.
Ranma pressed back knowing that he could not fulfill
the request.
The Giant scowled at him. "I should have known.
Another freeloader trying to tug on my feelings of
compassion. Aw."
In a flash, he snatched Ranma back up by the scruff of
his shirt. "I do not know why I pulled you out of the
crowd, young fellow, but there are no free rides here!"
"No, wait!" you've got to let me get on that train!"
"Bah! Back you go!" The Giant suddenly stopped and
turned Ranma around examining him at different angles with
several strange looks.
"Hmm, well you are not a bad looking specimen of a
soul." A lustful glint came to his eye. "There might be a
few things you could do for me."
"Will they get me on that train?" asked Ranma.
"Not this one, but a future one. maybe."
Ranma did not like his tone, or the way he eyed him. A
blast of the train's whistle signaled that it was about to
depart.
"Please, let me get on this train!"
The Giant laughed, licking his lips expectantly.
Another cry suddenly cut the air, a cry that made all who
heard freeze dead in their tracks. It was an eerie howl
akin to a wolf's, and then at the distant end of the street
appeared a large hound. It turned, three demonic heads
sniffing the air in search of their quarry. Bright red eyes
narrowed upon seeing Ranma held upright in the Giant's hand,
and the hounds' heads let out a yelp. Three more appeared
in the road behind it slavering at the crowd and at him.
"Anijza," muttered Ranma fearfully.
"Anijza!" exclaimed the Giant. Terror covered his
face. "You are one of Anijza's possessions! No, that
changes everything, my young friend. Back you go to your
fate! I'll not cross the mistress with my diminutive
existence. Go!"
A sturdy toss tried to fling Ranma back down the road,
but in desperation he grabbed a hold of one finger and by
using the Giant's own force whipped himself back around. He
shot feet first straight towards his face hitting with
enough force to knock the Giant back flat on his back.
Ranma hit the ground and ran for the train.
"STOP HIM!" roared the Giant, and from literally out of
thin air shadowy figures appeared around Ranma.
Another blast from the train and it began to move away
from the platform. Ranma picked up his pace, dodging an arm
groping for his body twisting then leaped over another
specter. He was now on the platform just as the rear of the
train started to clear the edge. Behind him, the sound of
terror filled cries then a loud wail from the Giant as one
of Anijza's dogs began to rend him apart. With no time to
waste, Ranma bolted along the platform trying to catch onto
the side of the caboose. Vicious barks echoed along the
tunnel, the claws of the hounds in pursuit clattering on the
platform floor.
The end drew close and Ranma knew he would only get one
shot at this. With a desperate leap, he sailed through the
air and barely did his hands catch on to the side railing.
The train cleared the station and he looked back. At the
mouth of the tunnel, the hounds barked and moaned angrily as
their prey moved out of reach. Ranma sighed and pulled
himself over the rail onto the deck of the caboose. He
stopped to catch his breath; glanced back at the tunnel then
went inside.

* * * * *

Moving through the train, Ranma came out into the main
passengers cars. In the seat were more spectral figures;
men, women, even children much to his surprise. Hopefully,
they would not try to attack him like the ones back at the
station, and bracing himself for the worst continued on up
the aisle. Nobody seemed to notice or cared that he was the
only solid figure around.
The next car and found more of the same thing, Ranma
moved further on reaching the front and stopped.
"Malbolge," called an announcement over some unseen speaker.
With a frown, Ranma found an open seat and peered out the
window.
The train seemed high above the ground, moving along at
steady pace through dark jet-black canyons. In the sky, a
dull red reflected off drifting streaks of mist, and then
below he caught sight of a large river only it was red,
blood red in color flowing swiftly through the canyon floor.
"Great," muttered Ranma, sitting down. "A free tour of
Hell, that's all I need." A sharp stinging sensation
suddenly hit Ranma, burning his nose, then his lungs. He
gagged covering his face with his arms trying to protect
himself from the gases. They abated replaced by a stench
that brought the water running from his eyes and nose.
"This is not good," he said. As he wiped his face dry,
Ranma noticed an apparition sitting in the seat across from
him. It appeared to be a young woman gazing sadly down at
the floor. He froze wondering why she was there, or if she
even knew he existed. The dull listless gaze remained
steady on the floor and Ranma leaned toward her.
"Uhm. Miss? Hello, Miss?"
She did not respond to his call. Ranma reached over
and waved a hand before her face. Still no response and he
sat back.
"Hmm, a dread full way to live the rest of your
exsiIIIISSSSSTAANCCEEEE!"
Suddenly, the train dipped into a steep dive thrusting
Ranma face first into the seat across from him. He fought
to right himself against the force pressing down on his body
and turned around gripping the seat for dear life as the
train continued to descend. The canyons were gone now,
replaced by a vast plain of blackness that seemed to rise
and swell like the ocean. As they drew closer, he could see
cracks in the surface bubbles of thick pitch rising and
bursting all across the plain. A burst of red flame
exploded off in the distance and lava flowed across the
pitch briefly pooling before sinking back down into the
morass.
Finally, the train leveled out and then another
announcement called out, "All off here."
"All off here?" wondered Ranma. He sat up and noticed
that one of the car doors was open. Several of the ghostly
figures where shuffling towards it lining up ready to
disembark. He waited a moment expecting the train to slow,
but instead it continued. There was a loud cry as the first
person at the doorway suddenly flung themselves out. In
shock, Ranma dashed across peering horrified out the window.
Another person leaped, and he saw there were other figures
bobbing around in mortal agony in the black pitch below.
They wailed and beckoned up towards the train in
desperation.
Ranma turned shutting his eyes tight trying to force
away the ghastly sight. He stood up looking to see that the
young woman who was sitting with him in his booth now stood
perched at the doorway getting ready to jump.
"No, NO!" he cried out, and for the first time she
seemed to acknowledge his existence. Her sorrow filled eyes
panned briefly over to his before she turned leaping out of
view. Ranma dropped into his seat staring stunned as the
train door closed by itself.
"Next stop, Stygia," announced the monotone voice.
Ranma sat in a silent daze, shocked by what had
transpired, fearing what other terrors lie ahead on this mad
ride. Maybe this was not the way out, he thought sadly.
Maybe. maybe I have no other choice but to concede to
Anijza's insane desires. The image of Kendral's maligned
form shook him from those thoughts.
"No! I must keep trying. That is what Hell is all
about. Despair and sufferings and, and torment and-." He
paused noticing the mist of his breath as he spoke. "And
cold?" he finished, sliding over to the window.
The vast lakes of pitch had given way to fields of ice.
Frozen gnarled trees and plants dotted the area, and the sky
was black once more. A sharp flash of lightening cut across
the sky, and in the foremost distance he could see a wide
meandering river cutting through the icy terrain.
"Great, now I've gone from bad to very bad. What's
next?"
As if in answer, the door leading to the next car
slammed aside. At the threshold stood an old hag clad in
the tattered remnants of a conductor's uniform. Her wild
eyes played across the passengers and then she stepped
inside.
"TICKETS!" she screeched in a high voice.
The specters around the car started holding up frail
drab white tokens that the hag began to take and punch. She
grabbed one, punched it and was about to hand it back when
she paused eyeing the script. A bulging eye panned over at
its owner cowering beneath her gaze.
"MISSED YOUR STOP DID YOU!" she screeched at him. The
window of the booth opened and the hag's bony hands took the
unfortunate specter up by the neck.
"OUT YOU GO! OUT YOU GO!" she cried, tossing him out.
As the wails faded away behind the closing window,
Ranma grimaced realizing that he shared a similar fate when
this conductor reached him. As she turned, her other
bulging eye twitched panning over in his direction. Ranma
let out an audible gulp as the hag turned towards him. Her
mad leer sent shivers through his body, her hoarse wheeze
and slavering tongue repulsive to bear. Ranma cringed back
when she reached his booth.
"TICKET!" came the piercing cry.
"I. I don't have one!" he answered, crossing his arms
protectively across his face.
A silence followed, the hag glaring down on Ranma.
Suddenly she started cackling, turning her head back and
forth.
"AW, NO TICKET, NO RIDE! NO TICKET, NO RIDE!" she told
him between laughs.
"Please, I've got to get back to my home! I don't
belong here!" Ranma pleaded desperately to her.
It did no good, and he heard the slam of the window
dropping open behind him.
"OUT YOU GO, OUT YOU GO!"
Her hands took hold of Ranma lifting him up out of the
seat. Ranma was not about to allow himself to be thrown out
into this cold bleak portion of Hell and quickly moved into
action. His arms came up breaking the cackling hag's grip.
She stopped laughing surprised by his resistance then a
powerful blow to the chin rocked her back into the corner of
the car.
Ranma took a stance ready to defend himself. "I don't
want to hurt you. Geeese, listen to me say that to somebody
in Hell."
The Hag's cynical cackle returned as she pulled herself
up from the floor. "Out, out, OUT YOU GO!" she cried
charging at him.
Her barred fingers sliced at Ranma's face, forcing him
back. Finally, Ranma let go with a furious volley of blows
knocking the hag around the car. She continued to cackle
amidst the blows. Around them, the windows began opening
and closing by themselves with each cry of her voice.
"Will you stop that annoying sound, you poor excuse for
a parrot!" shouted Ranma. He continued to pummel her then
finally took hold of her hair. With a strong heave, Ranma
sent the hag tumbling out one of the open windows. Her
eerie cackle lingered in the air as she faded out of view.
Okay, what now, Ranma's mind asked him. You've just
kicked the train's conductor off. Surely, someone is bound
to notice. Worse yet, you have no ticket and still don't
know if this thing is going to get you back home. He
relaxed his stance looking around. The ghostly passengers
remained oblivious to their surroundings. No threat there,
obtaining a ticket became the first priority. He figured
his best bet would be to move to another car and try finding
out how to get one then.
"Now entering Phlegthos," came the next announcement.
Almost immediately, the chilling cold gave way to an intense
heat. Ranma looked outside and smirked. The train was now
passing across a vast lake of fire, smoke and flames rising
high up to the boiling clouds in the sky.
"Okay, time to go," said Ranma rushing forwards.
When he opened the car door, a powerful blow greeted
him and he tumbled down the aisle. "NO TICKET, NO RIDE!"
screeched the Hag striding in after him.
Ranma crawled frantically back, shocked by her return.
He reached the compartment door and thrust it aside diving
into the next car. He rolled coming to his feet ready to
run, but a tight grip took him by the back of the shirt and
spun him around.
"OUT YOU GO!"
A painful backhand pitched Ranma halfway down the
aisle. He tumbled to a stop and lay dazed for a second.
"Tch, tch, tch, tch, tch. That looked like it hurt,"
said a familiar voice from the booth just behind him.
Ranma looked back and found himself staring up at
Anijza. She sat calmly filing her nails with the tip of a
small dagger, the battle spear resting comfortably next to
her side. She gave him a quick look then flashed a smile.
"Oh no," moaned Ranma.
"Not happy to see me?" replied Anijza, "You seem to
need my help, Ranma-darling."
Ranma pulled himself to his feet. "I don't need your
help, Anijza," he snarled squaring off with the hag again.
He threw a punch only to find his fist caught in her
powerful grip. Several blows rammed up into his stomach,
and then Raman was lifted high into the air.
"OFF, OFF, OFF YOU GO!" cried the hag, tossing him up
the aisle.
Pain shot through Ranma as he tried to recover.
"Don't need my help?" said Anijza, now sitting in the
booth next to where he lay. "Looks like you do to me."
The hag was approaching and Ranma sat up. Anijza knelt
down next to him. "Ranma, please come back with me and end
this silly notion of escape. You can not, except that
fact."
Nevertheless, Ranma refused. He pulled himself into
the booth across from her and then climbed up into the seat.
"All off here," came an announcement. The side door opened
and just like before, several of the passengers stood up and
began to leap out into the fiery lake below.
"OFF, OFF, OFF!" shouted the hag, pointing at the door.
Ranma stared fearfully at the hag then at Anijza.
"Really, Ranma, you must stop this silliness,"
continued Anijza. "I was lucky Amon did not detect you in
Stygia, but Belial will definitely not miss your presence,
and I do not wish to battle him in his own territory."
She made a step closer towards him and Ranma pressed
further back into the corner of the booth. The hag was
still screeching for him to get off the train, and then the
side door closed.
"Never," said Ranma. With an arm, he smashed out the
window jumping up on the sill ignoring the glass shards
cutting his flesh. "I'll never go back with you, Anijza."
"Hm," grunted Anijza. "Okay, then jump."
Ranma hesitated, looking back at the burning pools
rushing by below.
"OFF, OFF, NO TICKET, NO RIDE, OFF!" railed the hag,
creeping ever closer towards him.
"Well, what's the delay?" asked Anijza. Another
announcement called across the speaker causing her to look
up.
"Approaching Field of Needles."
"Ooo, I'd jump now before we get there, Ranma," she
said, "very painful experience. Take it from me; I had to
go through that during my initiation."
Ranma glared at Anijza for a moment. His hatred for
her burned hot in his eyes and he was determined not to
allow her to recapture him. Anijza's look of surprise was
the last thing he saw as he tipped back out of the window
rocketing towards the flames below.
His thought lingered on Akane whishing he could have
just one more day with her. "I'll miss you, Akane," Ranma
thought.
Something thick and warm suddenly tightened around his
body, pinning his arms to his side. The pressure increased
threatening to crush him, and then Ranma let out a cry.
"Sorry," boomed a deep voice and he looked up straight into
the face of a giant only with two large and pointed teeth
protruding up from his lower jaw and mouth. His skin was a
dark brown and a pair of massive bat-like wings beat in
strong powerful pulls guiding them up away from the lake of
fire.
Astride his neck sat Anijza. She smiled at Ranma and
waved down at him.
"Now you did not think I would let you go and do a
foolish thing like that did you, Ranma?" she called out to
him.
"Ah, no, no, I won't let you take me, Anijza!" Ranma
shouted. He began struggling in the tight grip much to
Anijza's dismay.
"Subdue him, Buln," she said, and the grip holding
Ranma tightened once more. Ranma's movements grew frantic
for a second before he finally went limp. Anijza stared
down at his unconscious form then shook her head.
"Such stubbornness. Take us home, Buln!"
Buln's powerful wings drew them up and away back
towards Anijza's fortress.

* * * * *

Around the Tendo dining room table, Akane and most of
her friends sat watching Cologne as she paced back and forth
in the middle of the room. She muttered incoherently,
several times wringing her hands before her as if dreading
what was to come.
Finally, Nabiki had enough off the mystery. "Cologne,"
she called to the sage. "Could we please stop with the
buildup and tell us whatever it is you need to tell us?"
Cologne halted her steps and looked over at the
expectant faces staring back. Her bottom lip started to
tremble then she bit down on it trying to hide her fear.
"Do you kids really want to go after Ranma?" she
finally asked.
There was no hesitation from Akane. "Yes!" she cried,
slamming a fist down on the table. "I'm getting him back,
and kicking her butt while I'm there."
"She's not having her way with Ranma, oh no," added
Ukyo.
"Over Shampoo's dead body!"
Cologne seemed to flinch at Shampoo's remark. She eyed
them all again and moved closer. "I must warn you, they way
will be hard and treacherous."
"Those are hardships we will endure," said Genma.
"Cologne, I do not want to sound impatient, but have you
found us a way into Hell?"
"We have, Genma, we have!" she snapped, surprising them
all. It was clear that she was very upset about it.
"Well can you give us at least a small reason why
you're being so reluctant about telling us how?" asked
Ryoga.
"It will require a great deal of sacrifice, Ryoga
Hibiki," she replied. Cologne paused allowing her words to
sink in. "Sacrifice that some of you might come to regret."
Mousse smirked at her. "Sacrifice? So we need to kill
something?" he said. "We have P-chan if we-."
"No you don't!" shouted Akane.
Ryoga's sturdy hand slapped the back of the nearly
blind man's head.
"Sacrifices," said Tatewaki. "A silly notion, Mousse."
"No, he is partly right, Kuno." Cologne said.
Silence filled the air, everyone feeling the tension
that rose amongst them. Quietly, Cologne resumed her pacing
again.
After the shock passed, Nabiki made a loud swallow and
spoke again.
"Uh, Cologne. uh, w-w-who is going to be sacrificed?"
She stopped, immobile for a moment before turning in
Hikaru Gosunkugi's direction.
"Me!" he exclaimed, shooting to his feet. "Is that why
you called me here? To be a sacrifice for Ranma's sake?"
"No, Hikaru, I did not call you here for that."
"Then why are you looking at him like that?" asked
Ryoga.
"Because he will be the one sending you to Hell."
"I will?"
"HIKARU!" exclaimed the others.
"Now calm yourselves," beckoned Cologne, motioning for
them all to settle down, but even Akane was starting to
exhibit doubt about the whole affair.
"Cologne, does it have to be Hikaru?" she asked.
"He will not be the only one involved in the process,
Akane."
"Yeah, but now I'm even more worried about that
process," added Ukyo.
"Yes, like how we are going to get there," commented
Kodachi.
Ignoring her remark, Cologne went on. "And not all of
you will be going either."
Another stunning announcement that shook them.
"So then who is not going?" Soun asked.
"You for one," answered Cologne. "Neither are you,
Genma."
"But he is my son!"
"You are needed here!"
That ended his protest. Cologne turned to where Kasumi
and Ono sat. "You two will not be going either," she told
them.
"Fine with me," said Ono, pulling Kasumi closer to him.
"I doubt with her current injuries that Kasumi could make
such a journey anyway."
"Oh, Ono," giggled Kasumi, swatting him lightly on one
arm.
"So will you be going with us, great grand-ma?" Shampoo
said.
"No, Happosai and I will be needed here as well."
"Okay, so that leaves the rest of us," said Ryoga,
"with that done let's get back to the most important subject
here. How are we getting to Hell?"
Everyone waited for Cologne's answer to the one final
question that remained. She stared at them, and then with a
shimmer of tears gazed at her granddaughter's innocent
features. Oh, Shampoo, she muttered, fighting back her
sobs. Cologne drew in a breath and cleared her eyes.
"I. I will have to. I'm going to have to kill you all!"
She turned away unable to face them anymore. However,
the news sent those involved into a deep moment of
speechlessness.
"Cologne?" Mousse finally said, "Kill? Do you mean
like kill as in `dead' kill?"
"I mean death, Mousse!" she shouted, whirling on him.
"Murder, execution, slaughter, do you understand now?"
The uneasy silence returned before Cologne broke from
her anxious pacing and looked at Akane. "And you, Akane
Tendo will be the main focus of the spell."
"I-I will?"
"Yes. Your aura is the strongest link to Ranma out of
everyone here in this room."
Shampoo shot to her feet. "What!" she cried. "But
Great-Grand-ma! Ranma my husband. I should be one to focus
spell!"
Cologne cut her granddaughter a narrow stare. "You do
have links to Ranma, Shampoo, but the lines I have detected
are not as strong as Akane's."
"But I love Ranma!"
"And you're hiding other things as well, child," rasped
Happosai. "Now sit down and let Cologne finish."
Lost, Shampoo was ready to fight for the right to lead
the rescue of Ranma, but the threatening stare coming from
Cologne made her back down. Reluctantly, she retook her
seat glaring hotly at Akane.
"And I take it Kodachi and I are in the same
situation?" asked Ukyo.
"Yes," answered Cologne.
More silence followed then Akane stood up. She walked
up to Cologne and looked her square in the face.
"So when do I leave?" she asked.
"Akane!" Soun called out.
She turned. "I swore I am going to get Ranma back,
alone if I have to!"
Hesitant looks came from the others around her, but
that did not faze Akane at all. She would fight the legions
of Hell itself if it came to that.
"The rest of you must go to lend your wills to Akane,"
continued Cologne, "She will need every bit of what lies in
your souls if she is to be successful."
"Sorta' like `Eveready' batteries?" said Mousse.
As the dull thunk from Cologne's staff faded off, Akane
faced her friends and opponents searching for any sign of
support from them. They all traded looks then Ukyo drew in
a sigh and stood up, walking over to her.
"You don't stand a chance against Anijza alone, Akane,"
said Ukyo.
"So are you with me?"
Ukyo sighed again. "Yeah, I'm in."
"Me too," said Ryoga.
"I will go as well," said Konatsu.
"You can consider me part of the team," said Tatewaki.
"Blue Thunder will not allow any harm to befall you fair
skin, Akane."
Shampoo strode up to Akane, anger in her eye. "Shampoo
go, but not for Akane's sake. I go to get husband back."
"Damn," muttered Mousse. "No need to ask me now."
"Your husband?" Kodachi suddenly said. "Ranma is my
husband-to-be, and I will not allow Akane's scheming mind to
try and woo him by saving his life. I, Kodachi Kuno will be
gaining that honor."
Despite some of their reasoning, Akane was happy that
she would have all of their support. She looked over at the
last person to pledge them self to the cause.
"Nabiki?" said Akane.
"Hold on, I'm thinking, I'm thinking."
Nabiki pondered a moment, looking at the faces around
her. "I really do not see a reason for me to be going."
"How about a chance to gain some payback on that bitch,
Anijza?" said Ukyo.
"Hmm," sounded Nabiki, pondering some more. "The pot's
sweet, but not sweet enough."
"Nabiki! Ranma is you brother-in-law," shouted Soun,
"You will not assist your sister to rescue him?"
"There's that one small problem of dying I just can't
come to grips with, daddy," she replied.
"You, Nabiki Tendo, have a function in this as well,"
said Cologne. "Happosai and I have not been able to
determine what, but there is a line coming from you that
needs to be included with this spell."
Nabiki seemed to waver, her eyes blinking rapidly.
"Uh, Hikaru, could you teach me what it is you have to do to
send them to Hell, hmm? I'll throw in some free pic's of
Akane in her night gown."
"What!" snapped Tatewaki, "You won't even sell me
pictures like that!"
"You don't pay enough."
"Hmm, I could use pictures like that in my-."
A hard slap on the head by Ryoga silenced Hikaru.
The stares intensified and Nabiki drew back. "I don't
want to die, and I certainly don't want to go to HELL!" she
cried.
"Face you destiny as a sister-in-law should, Nabiki,"
said Genma.
Nabiki turned away, dropping her chin to her chest in
solemn thought. Steps came up behind her and a warm hand
placed itself gently on one arm. Nabiki looked back to find
Akane next to her, eyes pleading for her to change her mind.
"How about doing it for me?" Akane said.
With a strained grunt, Nabiki's head turned away and
she closed her eyes tight. Akane's words battered at her
hardened heart, sending torrents of emotional guilt through
her mind. Oh damn, little sister, she thought furiously,
the things I do for you just so you can get hitched and
laid.
"Alright, I'll go! Just turn off the guilt trip, okay?"
Akane laughed and turned to Cologne again. "So when do
we go?" she asked.
"It will take Happi and I a few hours to complete
preparations. I suggest you all try to get some sleep. You
are going to need it.."