[Ranma][FanFic] Anijza 2 / Part 4: The Arrival

Nicholas Stone

Nov 2, 2003, 1:47:14 AM11/2/03
Ranma 1/2

Anijza
Part Two:

`In Hell as In Forever'

Nicholas Stone

The Arrival
Low groans echoed around a dimly lit room, groans that
gave way to several gasp as Ranma Saotome slowly regained
continuousness. He opened his eyes; vision blurred and as
they focused took in his new surroundings.
Some sort of dungeon chamber, Ranma realized that he
was again in the clutches of Anijza. "Damn!" he snapped and
tried to sit up, but as he did, something thick and strong
tightened preventing him from moving. Ranma cast a look
over at one arm and found it wrapped tightly by the links of
a sturdy looking chain affixed to a metal pole. He lay on
some sort of altar each limb similarly bound, spread eagle
awaiting sacrifice or whatever machinations Anijza would
have of him.
Ranma sighed, laying his head back trying to relax. He
gave his bindings another look then gathered his strength
and began pulling on them trying to break the links. It did
no good, the chains holding fast.
"Stop it, Ranma," called Anijza's voice.
Startled, Ranma tipped his head back up and found
Anijza standing at the foot of the altar. She was clearly
annoyed; eyes narrowed her lips pressed tight together. He
stopped struggling but maintained a dark stare on her as she
came around to one side.
"You, mister, have caused me a great deal of trouble,"
said Anijza, sitting on the edge of the altar.
"I am so glad to hear that," replied Ranma.
She ignored his comment. "Belial has been raging at me
about my raid into his realms. I had to give him several
hundred souls as appeasement to prevent him from filing a
complaint with my Master."
"Aw, I'm sure that hurt."
Anijza face turned down into a dark sneer. "You should
hold back those barbed comments, Ranma," she continued, "my
patience is nearing an end with you."
"Then why didn't you let me fall into the fire, huh?"
Taloned fingers suddenly gripped down on Ranma's chest,
raking slowly across his flesh leaving behind a bloody trail
as they did. Ranma tensed, teeth grit tight as the pain
coursed through him, but he would not allow her the
satisfaction of a scream.
The defiance in Ranma's eyes made Anijza pause. Her
fingers returned to normal and she forced away her anger.
"Ranma," she began, cooing lovingly to him. Her fingers
began playing across his chest again and as they did the
scars were healed up. "I wish you'd accept me. I am not
the enemy here."
"What!" cried Ranma. "You kidnap and make me a
prisoner in Hell, and say you are not the enemy?"
"I am not!" she snapped back at him. "Ranma, I deeply
love you can you not see this?"
Ranma went silent staring at her. He let out a short
laugh and looked away. "Some love," he replied, jerking on
the chains again.
"Those are necessary now since you keep trying to
escape me."
"And I'm going to keep on trying too!"
His angry words made Anijza sit up, staring down at him
with a dark frown. A spark flickered briefly in her eyes
then Anijza giggled.
"You must know by now that there is no returning back
to your world, Ranma."
"I'll find a way," said Ranma.
Anijza reached down and began caressing the side of
Ranma's face. He refused to look at her, staring out at the
far side of the dungeon.
"You will learn, my love," she gently said. "We will
grow to love one another, and if the Master allows, maybe
even sire young to-."
Ranma whipped his head around. "Why me, Anijza?" he
asked.
Anijza withdrew her hand confused by the question.
Ranma's livid expression slowly changed into a sad frown.
"Why, Anijza? Why did you pick me?"
She stood and moved away as if thinking. Ranma
remained silent wondering what this demonic woman was
contemplating. Finally she turned around again.
"Hmm. I suppose you do deserve that much of an
explanation," she said.
"I just don't understand it. I've never met you before
and yet you act like we're close companions."
Anijza laughed. "Closer than you might think, Ranma-
darling."
"Why!"
For moment she hesitated and then Anijza sat back down
on the edge of the altar. "I've been meaning to show this
to you anyway," she told him.
"Show me what?"
She smiled, standing back up. "You'll see," said
Anijza, heading towards one of the entryways. Halfway
there, she stopped and looked slyly over her shoulder.
"Are you coming?"
"Like to, but I seem to be chained down to this slab,"
answered Ranma.
In a second, Ranma felt the chains binding him go slack
allowing him to sit upright. They still hung around his
body, but now he had enough room to move fairly well without
interference. Ranma stood up.
"Well?" asked Anijza again.
He smirked deciding to take a chance and run. Before
he could make even one step in the opposite direction, the
chains around him tightened rebinding his limbs together.
The next thing Ranma knew he was lying face down on the
floor struggling against their pressure. Anijza watched him
writhe on the cold floor before walking calmly over.
"I'm not stupid Ranma," she said, "Those chains are
enchanted and will prevent you from running away."
Ranma groaned as the chains drew tighter about his
body.
"You should stop," continued Anijza, squatting down.
"They have no feelings, and they will wind tighter and
tighter until you are a mass of broken bones. Then I will
heal you, and if you try again they will repeat their
actions."
Seeing that he was at Anijza mercy, Ranma stopped
struggling. The chains also stopped but kept him firmly in
their grasp.
"See? That wasn't so hard, now was it?" said Anijza.
She stood up and began walking towards the corridor again.
"I may not try to run, Anijza!" shouted Ranma, "but I
don't have to go anywhere with you!"
She stopped and Ranma could see her heave a deep sigh.
"Bring him!" she called out, and the chains came to life
once more. They shifted around him, and despite his
resistance, forced Ranma's arms behind his back. Like a
puppet Ranma was pulled to his feet. His legs began to
stiffly move him forwards ignoring his cries for them to
stop.
"Alright, alright, alright!" he finally called out.
The forceful movements ceased. "I'll. I'll follow you,"
said Ranma in bitter defeat.
"Now that's a good boy," replied Anijza.
They walked on down into the dimly lit corridor.
Ranma, his arms still bound behind him, could barely make
out Anijza as they traveled along the winding paths. The
walls of the corridor changed it seemed. More like rough
rock and stone as if they were in some dank tunnel.
Finally, the corridor opened up and Ranma stopped gasping at
what lay before them.
They stood looking across a large cavern extending as
far as their eyes could see, several fingers from an unseen
river snaking along the bottom floor. What held Ranma in
awe though were the pillars of water cascading up towards
openings in the roof, and in them he saw shadowy forms
floating aimlessly about.
"What is this place," he said.
"One of my many responsibilities, Ranma," answered
Anijza. "You don't know where we are?"
"Should I?"
Anijza looked at him then let out a low harrumph,
continuing on down the path. Ranma followed and they were
soon walking amidst the pillars of water.
"I am caretaker of these pools, Ranma," explained
Anijza. "I ensure they are continuously fed from the River
Styx or Bairiki depending on your faith, and I update them
as needed."
"Update?"
"Oh yes. We here in Hell like to stay up to date on
the latest happening of your plain." Anijza pointed off to
some pillars on their far right. "Those are the latest
pools I've made."
Ranma stared hard at them. A dark silhouette appeared
in one and he made out a box like thing swirling around in
the water. It grew clear and he frowned.
"A computer?"
"Top of the line," replied Anijza.
Ranma shook his head, blinking his eyes several times
to clear them. "Anijza, where are we?"
She again gave him a serious stare. "You still don't
know?"
"Anijza!"
She just harrumphed again walking on. Soon they
reached what appeared to be the end of the path.
"These are my oldest pools, Ranma," announced Anijza,
spreading her arms wide. He looked at the mass of pillars
making out the forms of fish, dogs, a stone Buddha? Ranma
still lost to where they were, suddenly drew in a breath.
He stared at one pillar, at the floating form of a small cat
inside. It looked familiar, and then it dawned on him.
"Oh my gosh," he muttered in shock. His head looked
frantically around until he spotted a pillar with another
familiar figure inside.
The lifeless form of a red-headed girl.
"Jusenko! We-we-we're under Jusenko!"
"Ah, you finally figured it out!"
Ranma looked around some more. "Where is it? Where is
it!"
"Where is what?"
"Pool of Drowned Man! I've got to find it!"
He spotted a male floating in one of the far pillars
and his eyes grew wide. "There it is!" cried Ranma,
springing out towards it. He never cleared the edge of the
path, Anijza grabbing him with a powerful grip around one
ankle. Ranma slammed to the ground.
"Anijza, please! You don't understand. I need to get
in there!"
"I understand completely, Ranma," she replied. Ranma
stopped, turning around to face her.
Anijza helped back to his feet and brushed away the
grit from his face and shoulders. "I understand, but you
will not need it."
Ranma frowned. "What?" he said but Anijza only smiled.
"Anijza, what does this have to do with us and our meeting?"
A sad looked appeared on Anijza's face. She inched
closer to him, running her fingers playfully across his
chest.
"You don't remember?" she said.
"Remember what?"
Anijza inched closer. "You fell into the pool. You
slipped down towards the bottom, lost, unable to find your
way." Her voice dropped into a low whisper, rising up on
her toes lips moving towards his.
"I found you. I held you. I looked into you face. I
gave you a kiss just like this."
Her lips pressed against his and Ranma felt himself
drifting back, back into a dark watery realm, his lungs
burning for air. A hand wraps around his torso and he's
pulled up, staring into the loveliest pair of slate-grey.!"
Ranma yelped, staggering back away from Anijza, terror
written on his face. "No!" he said trying to come to grips
with the situation.
"Yes, Ranma, I saved you, and I fell madly in love with
you that day," Anijza said.
"No, no, this can't be happening to me!" cried Ranma.
He dropped to his knees and began to sob, hanging his head.
Anijza stared at him; a brow arched watching her future
consort's despair with similar empathy. He was close to
breaking, but now there was just one thing left to do that
would seal their togetherness forever.
"Ranma," she called. He looked up, streaks of tears
glistening his cheeks. "I said I was going to help you and
so I am. Stand up."
He did and she moved towards him. Ranma took a step
back. "No!" shouted Anijza and the chains immediately
locked tight holding him immobile. Ranma could only gaze in
terror as Anijza reached out to him.
"This will hurt, but it will be worth it," she said.
Her hands took hold of Ranma's head on both side and
then a sharp stabbing pain coursed though his body.
Anijza's fingers felt like they were melding with his skull,
flesh tearing and ripping as if it was being pulled apart.
The snap of bone and sinew grew loud and Ranma fought to
hold back his cries. It was too much and he yelled as high
as his lungs allowed. More ripping sounded, Ranma pleading
for Anijza to stop whatever she was doing to him. For a
second it felt like part of him had just been ripped free of
his body, and then the pain subsided. Ranma opened his eyes
and he lay on the ground. He moaned and then Anijza's hands
held him up.
"Ranma-darling, I'm so sorry, but I had to do it! I
had too!"
".do. do what," he said in a weak voice.
Another moan suddenly echoed around the cavern walls.
Ranma slowly sat up searching for the source. There lying
not far away lay a girl with red hair, naked and glistening
with moisture like a new born babe. She drew herself up on
her arms and slowly looked around at him.
"R-R-Ranko," gasped Ranma.
Ranko stared back in silence. Her eyes cut around her
surroundings and stopped on Anijza. A sad frown appeared,
and Ranko started nibbling nervously on her bottom lip. She
let out a sob, pushing a fist to her mouth to stop her cries
and turned away from them.
"Why?" asked Ranma to Anijza.
"Can't have you turning into a girl every time you get
wet, can we?"
He looked at Ranko again lost for words.
"You're free, Ranma," continued Anijza, "Free of your
curse, and all mine as it should be."
Nausea overtook Ranma then. His mind could take no
more as her words echo through his brain. "Mine as it
should be," was the last thing he heard before darkness
engulfed him.

* * * * *

Evening approached, Cologne staring out at the waning
sky wondering if what she and her associates were about to
do was the right thing. Behind her, in the living room all
of the furniture had been moved out and on the floor
Happosai crawling around finishing the mystic emblems needed
to begin their task.
She sighed and walked over to examine his work. Three
large concentric rings surrounded a pentagram with a five
pointed star inside it, ancient tomes and symbols carefully
inscribed between each space. A circle had been drawn in
the hexagonal center of the star, several lines bisecting it
into even parts. All appeared to be in order and Cologne
looked up at the rest of the people standing around its
edges.
"Hikaru, are you ready?" she asked.
Gosunkugi, sitting in the far right corner, stopped
eyeing the large drum in his lap and looked up. "So what am
I supposed to do with this again?"
Cologne briefly rolled her eyes. "You are the key
master, Hikaru. You must beat the time once we start to
open the portal that will take Akane and the other to Hell."
Nabiki shuddered. "I just don't like the way she says
that, she said, rubbing her arms.
"Fear not, Nabiki," said Tatewaki, "I will be present
and that will be more than enough to ward off any evils."
"Ooo, I feel so safe," said Ukyo, gagging at his
remark.
Finally, Happosai finished and stood up. "The magic is
in place," his warbled demonic voice told them.
"Then it is time," announced Cologne.
"What do you want us to do now?" asked Akane.
Cologne could see the girl was anxious to get started
on their journey. "First thing, Akane get Ranma's ashes."
Shampoo started sharply. "Akane, you have Ranma's
ashes?" she cried.
"So, you sneaked out behind our backs and stole them
before I could," added Kodachi.
"I did not sneak behind your backs," snapped Akane.
"You were slow!"
"Husband's ashes belong to Shampoo!"
"Hey, wait one minute-," said Ukyo.
A hard stomp of Cologne's staff stopped them.
"Girls!" she said, "We are trying to get Ranma back.
This is not the time to be arguing about such a trivial
thing. Akane, please."
Akane left to do as she was told. Meanwhile, Cologne
went over to the patio where they had set the table, calling
for Ono Tofu to accompany her. On it were nine short
glasses and the sealed jar of blood taken from Anijza's
creature. Taking out several more of the silken cloths that
sealed the jar, she opened it and began pouring portions of
the blood into the glasses. Ono quickly re-covered and
sealed each one as she did.
Akane returned carrying a small black lacquered box in
her trembling hands. "Good," said Cologne, bounding over to
her. She undid the ribbon and lifted the lid, peering
inside. A small pile of dark ash lay at the bottom and she
nodded.
"This will do," said Cologne re-closing the lid. "Now
go and spread them cross the water of the furo."
"Not in the furo!" exclaimed Kasumi.
"It must be there, Kasumi."
She huffed and crossed her arms. "You don't have to
clean it, either," Kasumi remarked, turning her head up.
As Akane went to spread Ranma's ashes, Cologne bounded
back across the room. Giving her time to complete the task,
and to give Kasumi a short puzzled stare, she motioned to
Ono and he brought in the glasses of blood. When Akane
arrived, Cologne began passing them out to those that would
be going on this dark trip.
"Ono, kneel there," she said pointing to a spot on the
outer ring adjacent to the star's top left point. Pointing
to the bottom right point, Kasumi went and knelt down giving
Ono a cheerful wave.
"You two represent Honor and Love," explained Cologne.
She directed Soun to the right top point, Genma taking the
bottom left. "You two represent the bonds of friendship and
security."
"Such is a father's duty," commented Soun.
"Hush!" snapped Cologne. She looked over at Happosai,
pointing to the top point of the star. "You represent
hate," she told him as he went over to his position.
"Figures," grumbled the old man.
"So where do you want us?" said Ryoga. "Or are we
playing hopscotch between the lines?"
All but Cologne chuckled at his joke, stifling their
laughs beneath her annoyed stare. The sage hopped over to
the outer ring across from the inner right corner of the
star. "Tatewaki," she said. He walked over and she
positioned him facing towards the center of the pentagram.
"Shampoo, behind him."
A line soon formed, Konatsu, Kodachi, Ukyo, Mousse,
Nabiki, Akane and finally Ryoga making up the rear.
"Now all we need is a Disco Ball and some music," jokes
Mousse.
"Silence!" snapped Cologne, dinging him sharply on his
head. She went back to the front of the line.
"Listen to me carefully, kids. Do everything I tell
you without question from here on out. Understand?"
They all nodded. Cologne placed the base of her staff
on the floor. She began muttering a chant, and then slowly
walked backwards along the adjoining line. The bottom of
her staff flared up, flames flickering around its edges. As
she dragged it along, a deep gouge appeared in the wooden
floor. Kasumi drew in a sharp gasp, hands clutching the
side of her head.
"My floor!"
Soun began to cry. "It will take us months to get that
repaired and paid for."
Cologne ignored the complaints, dragging the staff
along until she reached the middle of the pentagram. With a
shot hop she bounded back landing between Kasumi and Genma.
"I will direct each and every one of you into your
proper places. Tatewaki, you are the first. Go to the
middle of the pentagram along that line I just made. Do not
deviate from it then stop. When I say, go to bottom left
point where the crossing lines end. You will kneel facing
outwards and await further instructions."
He nodded to her and she looked at the others. "All of
you will repeat his actions ending up at the other points,
except for you Akane."
"Me?"
"You will stop and kneel in the center of the
pentagram."
Akane peered around Nabiki's shoulder staring at the
point on the floor. "Okay," she said nervously."
"Good. Are there any last questions?"
"I have one," said Ryoga. "I don't mind the fancy
conga line, but I can imagine what we're going to do with
this stuff in these glasses."
"We'll go through that when we reach that point,"
answered Cologne. Holding her staff before her, she looked
over at Gosunkugi. "Hikaru, begin the beat I taught you."
Hikaru tightened the ceremonial cloth around his head,
lighting the candles at his temples, and then took up the
drum. He began a slow three-quarter beat, the drums deep
boom reverberating through the walls. Cologne and Happosai
began chanting in unison. Suddenly, Cologne pointed her
staff at Tatewaki and he walked out into the middle of the
pentagram. He stopped awaiting her next command as the drum
beat picked up. The staff panned over to his spot and he
walked over and knelt facing outwards.
Another long moment passed, and then it was Shampoo's
turn. She followed the line waited and then was directed to
the point on Tatewaki's right. Konatsu followed soon after
and so it went, Konatsu taking the point on Shampoo's right,
Kodachi placed in front of Cologne, Nabiki at the opposite
point on the far end, Ukyo on Kodachi's left, Mousse on
hers. That left Akane and Ryoga and Cologne looked up from
her prayers.
"Akane, Ryoga go to the center," she directed them.
The two traded looks and walked single file until they both
stood in the middle awaiting the next order. "Now Ryoga go
back and kneel."
Akane watched him go. She looked at the floor then
Cologne told her to kneel facing her. She did and the drum
beat picked up again. Happosai's chanting dropped low.
There came a bright flicker of light from the symbols
closest to him and they began to glow a dull red pulsing
with each beat of Hikaru's drum. The symbols around Cologne
flickered, glowing a brilliant blue. She spoke again.
"This is it, kids, the final point before you begin
your journey. What I'm going to tell you now is very
important so listen close. The blood in those glasses has
been mixed with roots that will send your spirits on to the
Netherworlds." There came a long pause before she
continued.
"When I tell you, unseal the glass and drink the
contents down."
"I knew it," said Mousse with a grimace.
Nabiki peered down at her glass, winching at the liquid
bubbling about the sides. "Uh, is it too late to change my
mind?"
"Yes, now shut up!" answered Cologne. "All of you have
to drink and drink at the same time."
"All of us?" questioned Akane.
"Yes."
Doubtful looks appeared on their faces, looks that
drifted back towards Nabiki.
"What, What?" she asked.
Cologne held her staff up over her head. She slowly
brought it down before her dropping back into her chants.
The lights around them flickered faster; Akane cutting her
eyes over at Kasumi and her father. Both were deep in
prayer their voices adding to the growing din from the drum.
"Unseal your glasses," she heard Cologne say, and Akane
pulled the silk cloth away. The liquid bubbled up
threatening to spill over the side, but then Cologne told
them to drink. She did, not knowing or caring if the other
had done so.
It tasted bitter, thick and gooey all in one mix. The
urge to vomit caught Akane but somehow she held it back. As
the last of the stuff slid down her throat, Akane felt a
cold sensation course through her stomach. A small knot of
pain tightened her muscles causing her to drop the glass.
At least she thought she dropped it, but there was no
shattering sound. Worse yet, the room had gone completely
dark and the drumming stopped.
"Oh no. We didn't do it right," she said.
"I don't know about that," said a voice out of the
darkness.
Akane tensed. "Ukyo?" she called out.
"Yep, it's me."
Relief flowed through Akane. "Thank goodness. I
thought I was the only one here."
"I'm here," said Konatsu voice.
"So am I," called another.
"Ryoga!" exclaimed Akane.
"Present, ma'am."
"Well there's four of us," said Ukyo.
"Make it five," Tatewaki's voice chimed in.
"Shampoo here!" announced the Amazon.
Akane strained to hear another voice. "Mousse?" she
called into the dark.
"I'm here," he answered. "Sick, hating death, but I'm
here."
"Say was that the most foul tasting stuff you've ever
had?" said Ryoga.
"All I could imagine was burnt Linseed leaves and
Elephant snot," Konatsu said.
"Ew, yuck! I still might just throw up," Ukyo said.
A wet sound echoed in the darkness.
"Don't worry," gasped Mousse, "I just did it for you."
A maniacal laugh suddenly filled the air. "I thought
it was rather interesting," said Kodachi.
"And only you would think like that, dear sister,"
Tatewaki remarked.
"Well, it was different."
Akane shook her head. There was one more voice she had
not heard, and she started to look around. "Nabiki," called
Akane with concern. The others joined in, and then Nabiki's
voice answered their calls.
"Alright, alright, I'm here you don't have to shout."
"Nabiki!" exclaimed Akane, "I'm so glad you're here."
"Well I'm not. We're dead, remember? Who knows what
going to happen to us now, or where we end up?"
"Hell, hopefully," said Ryoga.
"Not my idea of a vacation retreat."
They fell into silence not knowing what to do next.
"Gee, I hope we didn't screw this up," Ukyo said.
"Nabiki, you did drink when we were told, didn't you?"
"Like duh? I'm here aren't I?"
"But did you drink it all?" asked Konatsu.
They could literally feel her mouth dropping down in
revulsion. "I drank every stinking drop of that disgusting
stuff, and I will be having my stomach pumped once we get
back."
"Then where are we?" asked Ryoga.
"Shampoo not want to spend rest of life in perpetual
darkness. Feel like silly Mousse."
"Hey, hey, hey!"
"Let's not fight," said Akane, and they went quite once
more.
"Standing here, wherever this is, is not going to help
us," said Ryoga.
"So find us a way out, bright boy," replied Ukyo.
"Something will happen," said Akane. "I can feel it."
Here words were like magic as a doorway opened up with
a creak behind Ryoga. He stood barely silhouetted against
the backdrop of pale light and they all drew in breaths of
surprise. For a moment, nobody moved then Akane went over
to the opening. She peered down a long corridor that seemed
to have no end.
"Well?" Nabiki's voice said from behind. Akane started
looking back at her sister leaning over a shoulder.
"Well, what?"
"What are you waiting for? This was your idea, so lead
on little sister."
"Me?"
"Yes you."
Ryoga stepped up in front. "I'll lead," he told them,
and started forward.
"Ryoga, wait," called Akane and he stopped. She took
hold of one hand, reaching back grabbing Nabiki's.
"Everyone hold hands," she said to the others. "We can stay
together this way."
They linked up and were soon making their way down the
passageway. On they walked, silent, fear running through
some, determination in others. After what felt like
eternity, Ryoga spotted an opening ahead.
"Almost there, gang," he said.
"Where is there?" asked Kodachi.
"Anyplace but this black hole," replied Ukyo.
"We better hope Anijza doesn't know we're coming and
has a welcoming committee waiting for us," Tatewaki said.
As they neared the opening, Ryoga patted Akane's hand
signaling for her to let go. He motioned for them to stop
and stole up to the side and took a quick look outside. A
bleak desolate landscape greeted him, barren of any
vegetation with rocks and boulders dotting the plain. Grey
overcast skies muted what light shone down above, and a hot
wind blew through the air. He stepped out into the open.
"All clear. You can come out," he called back.
The rest of the group quickly joined him and they all
stood staring in mute shock at their surroundings.
"Yeuck!" said Nabiki.
"What can you say?" commented Ryoga with a shrug.
"Gang, welcome to Hell."