[Ranma][FanFic] The Least One Can Do - Part 8

OneShot

Feb 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/25/97

Jeffrey "OneShot" Wong

Ranma 1/2: The least one can do 8

Editor's notes:You must read the first seven parts in order to get what's
going on. Otherwise, you'll just end up confused.

(Opening scene: It is still Wednesday morning. The camera shows a clear
bird's-eye-view of Nerima. The streets are replete with citizens, all of
them heading towards work. The camera pans to a particular region of Nerima,
zooming in on Ranma, whom happens to be walking towards school....alone.)

Ranma:(Thinking to himself)Why did she have to go do that? Why couldn't
she just wake me up like a normal person? It's as if she enjoys tormenting
me.

(As he walks down the street, a voice from the other side of the street
distracts him from his little reverie)

Shori:Ranma?

Ranma:Huh?

(Ranma turns his attention towards the voice, and he realizes it's Shori.)

Ranma:Shori?

(Shori gracefully crosses the street and walks up to Ranma. She comes so
close to him that Ranma notices the tantalizing scent of her perfume. She
looks up into Ranma's eyes, their faces so close that if they moved a few
inches closer, they could....kiss. Just the thought gives Ranma goosebumps.)

Ranma:(Realizing he's in his male form)W-what're you doin' here? D-don't you
live in a neighboring town?

Shori:I was just stopping by a friend's house. I had to drop something off.

(Ranma just smiled, glad to be talking to Shori. He was totally unaware that
Shori was referring to him and his clothes and wallet. He just disregarded
the statement, figuring she was visiting one of her other friends, perhaps
Akemi or Reia, but not him. He wasn't even aware that she shouldn't be in
this town in the first place, not unless she was there to visit him or
Ranko)

Shori:Ranma?

Ranma:Hm?

Shori:(A bit nervous)Um....could you walk me to my school?

Ranma:(Shocked)Um....sure.

(Shori swallows the lump in her throat and places her arm around one of
Ranma's arm. It seems she, too, was nervous. But when she held onto him,
feeling the warmth from him, her nervousness subsided, yielding to
happiness.)

Ranma:(Nervously)Er.....um.......

(Ranma wanted to tell Shori not to hold him like that, but when he opened
his mouth, no words came out. He wanted to tell her that he couldn't afford
to be spotted with her, for it would further complicate things with
everyone else around him.......especially Akane. But being so close to her,
smelling her intoxicating perfume, Ranma couldn't bear to let go of her.)

Shori:(Happily)Ranma, can I tell you somethin'?

Ranma:Um......sure. What is it?

Shori:(A bit crestfallen, now having doubts)Nevermind.

Ranma:.................

(The words were right at the tip of her tongue, but she couldn't say them.
She wanted to tell him she had fallen madly in love with him. But she
remembered he had a fiancee. She didn't want to cause any problems for him.
Shori smiled slightly, knowing that being around Ranma was good enough for
her....at least for now.)

(The camera pans away from the two couple, and it zooms across the sky,
stopping once it shows the Tendo home. It then zooms in on a particular
second-story window. We realize it's the window to Akane's room. Inside,
Akane is scrambling to pack her books away. We are in her room, listening to
her as she rambled to herself.)

Akane:Ranma, why'd you hafta go and leave me like that? So what if I
splashed water on you! If I didn't, you would've never've woken up! Such
an ungrateful......

(The words died before they left her mouth. She was about to say 'fiancee'.
But why was she about to say that? Naturally, she would have said 'baka',
but for some reason, that word had never entered her mind. What was
happening to her? She would have been mad at Ranma for what he did....but
she really wasn't. She was mad at herself. Hoping to distract herself from
thoughts of Ranma, Akane looked at her watch and realized she was going
to be late if she didn't head for school, and fast. Quickly, she finished
her packing and ran out in a hurry.)

(The camera follows Akane as she goes running through the streets and a high
speed, practically running over the hapless citizens whom happen to be in
her way. When she was nearing her school, we see Akane come to a sudden
halt. She spotted Ranma...with another girl. We realize Akane spotted Shori,
but couldn't make Shori's characteristics out for her back was turned
towards Akane. Akane quickly ducks into a nearby alley, hopeful that Ranma
wouldn't see her, peeking out at the couple ahead of her. She sees Ranma and
the girl in deep conversation, noticing that Ranma is laughing outloud. A
tear trickles down the side of Akane's face at the sight of that, for she
finally realized what Nabiki meant in school that yesterday morning at home,
when she was referring to why Ranma doesn't talk to her that much anymore.)

<Flashback>

Akane:Nabiki, when I looked at Ranma and asked him to please give me a
real answer, he turned away, as if he didn't want to be around me anymore.

Nabiki:Does it really matter? I mean, you yourself say you would never marry
that 'baka'. Why should that effect you?

Akane:...............

Nabiki:Look, whatever's going on between the two of you, I suggest you get
it fixed, and fast.(Thinking)If you don't, you're going to lose him.....who
knows....you might've lost him already.

Akane:Nabiki, thanks.(Gets up to leave for Ranma's room)

(Nabiki watches sullenly as Akane leaves)

Nabiki:(Softly)Ranma, please don't hurt her......

<End of flashback>

(Feelings started to overwhelm Akane, feeling she never knew she had. Her
thoughts were racing, her head began to swell, her knees started to buckle,
and worst of all, her heart ached. Who was that girl? Why was Ranma talking
to her? The tears started to flow freely, for Akane had started to sob. She
places her hands over her face, hiding those tears, much to no avail. She
huddles down low, her back against the wall, her arms around her legs, as
if she were cradling herself, which was something she needed the most at
that moment, to be held. Thoughts of Ranma being with that girl, talking to
her, laughing with her, raced through Akane's mind at a mile a minute. She
couldn't handle it anymore. Akane, ran out of the alley, racing back towards
home, her face practically buried in her hands as she cried her heart out.)

Akane:(To herself)Ranma.....Ranma no baka!

(But she was lying to herself. She knew she was the one at fault. It had
been her attitude towards him that made him leave her. She was the one who
caused this to happen, all because she took Ranma, the one she truely
did care for, for granted. Akane raced home, not even bothering to dodge the
citizens in her way, plowing through them. She was too hurt to care, too
hurt to give a damn. And above all that hurt, she was scared.....scared that
she had finally lost him. All the while, Ranma, unaware of Akane's inner
turmoil, continued on towards Shori's school with Shori still at his side.)

Shori:(Realizing something)Oh no, I forgot somethin'!

Ranma:What didja forget?

Shori:I forgot two of my books. Would you mind coming with me to my house so
I can fetch 'em before we continue on?

Ranma:Um.....sure....no problem.

(Together, Ranma went along with Shori towards her house. They arrived at
her house within a few minutes, and they entered it, Ranma acting like he
was seeing the inside of her house for the very first time. It was true
though. He was seeing it for the first time....in his male form that is.)

Shori:Can you please wait in the livingroom for a second? I'll be right
back.

(With that said, Shori raced up the marble stairway to retrieve her missing
book, leaving Ranma all by his lonesome. Ranma studied livingroom, noticing
just how expensive everything looked. The couch alone looked like it was
worth the home he resided in. Ranma's gaze turned from the couch and onto
the paintings that were carefully hung on the wall. If Ranma wasn't
mistaken, he could have sworn he had seen some of those paintings in his
Renaissance school textbook. One painting stood out the most to him. It was
a painting of and middle aged-man in a gi. He studied the picture, regarding
just how real and meticulous the painting looked.)

Shori:(On her way down the marble staircase, her books under her arm)That's
my Daddy.

Ranma:Why's he wearing a gi?

Shori:Well, before I was born, he was an expert martial artist.

Ranma:(Interested)Really?

Shori:But now that he works as the CEO for Aido Airline, he hasn't gotten
much time to do what he loved most, teach martial arts.

Ranma:Your dad's an instructor?

Shori:He used to be. He plans on retiring soon and taking up teaching
martial arts as his hobby. He already had a dojo built in the backyard.

Ranma:(Genuinely interested)Really? Can we go see it?

Shori:Sure.

(Ranma and Shori head for the backyard through the house. Ranma is
absolutely awed by the craftmanship of the furniture laid about. He couldn't
help but wonder just how great it would be to live in a home like this.)

Shori:It's not all that great living in a house like this.

Ranma:Nani? How did you know I was thinkin' that?

Shori:I could just tell by lookin' at you. You're probably wonderin' how
expensive some of the furniture is, ne?

(Ranma blushed, embarrassed that she could read his thought so easily.)

Shori:(Giggles)Don't worry, I haven't the slightest idea how much it's worth
either.

(Ranma and Shori exit the extravagant house into the backyard. There, once
outside, Ranma's jaw drops at the shear sight of the dojo. It was
magnificent, perfectly crafted, and larger than life. The dojo itself looked
like one of those dojos from a long time ago, as if the dojo he was looking
at was a reconstruction of one from back then. He had never seen a dojo so
large and overpowering in his life.)

Ranma:Wow!

Shori:My dad will have this dojo up and runnin' in no time. But he needs
some help.

Ranma:Oh?

Shori:Yeah, he can't teach all by himself. He needs other people to teach
for him.(Turns to Ranma)You interested?

Ranma:Huh?

Shori:How would you like to work for my daddy? I know you have a talent in
martial arts, especially when I saw you beat those guys at my school up a
couple of days ago.

Ranma:.................

Shori:No rush. Maybe you'll like to think about it.

Ranma:I-I can't.

Shori:You can't? How come?

Ranma:I'm the heir to another martial arts school. I can't just leave it.

Shori:Oh. Well.....if you ever have second thoughts, we'll be right here.

Ranma:..................

Shori:(Notices the time)Oh my, look at the time. We better get goin'!

(Ranma and Shori both rush through the gate in the backyard, both headed
towards Shori's school. We watch them as they run down the street,
disappearing once they round a corner. After a few moments, the scene
changes to that of the Tendo home. Outside, we see Kasumi happily sweeping
the front sidewalk, minding her own business. As she continues to sweep, we
see Akane enter the scene from the right, stopping once Kasumi notices her.)

Kasumi:Akane, what are you doing here? You're going to be late for school.

Akane:(Fighting back tears)I want to skip school for today....I really don't
feel too well.

Kasumi:Oh my. Are you okay?

Akane:No.....not really.

Kasumi:What's the matter? Do you have a cold? Do you have a stomach ache?
What is it?

Akane:H-hai. I have a stomach ache. Anyway, I don't feel that well, and I
would like to rest.

(Akane really wanted to tell her sister what was wrong.....that it was her
heart that ached, not her stomach. Kasumi gave Akane a very sympathetic
gaze.)

Kasumi:Okay, you go on inside. I'll make you a special home remedy for your
stomach. Just get some rest.

Akane:You really don't have to do that.

(But before Kasumi had a chance to reply, Akane stormed through the front
gate, through the front yard, and into the house. It seems Akane was about
to break into another fit of weeping, and she didn't want her sister to see.
Quickly, her face buried in her hands, Akane raced up the stairs and into
her room. She didn't even notice Ryoga lying unconscious on the livingroom
couch. Inside her room, she flops onto her bed, her face now buried in her
pillow as she begins to cry, all her emotions coming out in tears.

Akane:(In between sobs)Ranma.....no.......baka!

(She continues to cry for several minutes before it starts dying down. After
a short moment, Akane stops crying, for she had finally cried herself to
sleep.)

(The scene changes to Shori's school. There, we see Ranma and Shori enter
the scene, Shori's arm wrapped around one of Ranma's arm. Ranma doesn't seem
to mind this anymore. Actually, he seems a bit happy about it. Once in front
of the school, we see Ranma and Shori release their arms.)

Shori:(Hugs Ranma compassionately and tightly)Ranma, thanks for walkin' me
to school. I really appreciate it. It's been a great spendin' the morning
with you.

Ranma:(Smiles)Yeah, me too.

(Before Shori released her embrace of Ranma, she tiptoed so her head was
almost level with Ranma's, and gently kissed him. Ranma was about to pull
away, but for some reason, he didn't. All that could be heard are the oohs
and ahhs of the Shori's schoolmates as they witness what had just
transpired. The girls look on with envy, envy that Shori was actually
kissing Ranma, the one they all fantasized about when he came to Shori's
rescue a few days ago. After a few moments, their lips parted, Ranma still
savoring Shori's lips as she did his.)

Shori:(Smiles)I guess that was a better way to say thank you.

Ranma:(Smiles weakly)I-I guess so.(Laughs meekly)

(Both Ranma and Shori laughs in unison. The laugher was harmless and
good-natured. The camera pans away from them as we continue to hear their
laughter, turning onto the clear morning sky. But deep in the background
of that laughter...if one listened hard enough, one would hear Akane's
silent crying echoing through the skies)

<End for now>

Well...there's yet another installation on my series. First off, I'd
like to say that these characters were created by Rumiko Takahashi(except
Shori) and I would never infringe on any of her works. Please e-mail me if
you have comments. (No "You suck" or the like please) Keep in mind that I
like writing development stories. I'm sorry for any spelling or grammatical
mistakes. I hope you're enjoy this series.

P.S.-If you want any of my other fanfics, you can find them on my webpage:

http://www.rit.edu/~jkw7063/fanfic/index.html

Jeffrey "OneShot" Wong

<Bye>