[Ranma][FanFic] Anijza Part1/02: "The Exchange Student"

Nicholas Stone

Feb 18, 2002, 3:16:37 PM2/18/02
Ranma 1/2

Anijza

Part One:

'As on Earth as in Hell'

Nicholas Stone

The Exchange Student

Saturday;
Kasumi Tendo was normally not lost for words when it came to the happenings
that befell the Tendo household. Tonight though, she could not even begin
to answer the questions from her father, or the rest of the people seated
around the dining table.
"An 'Exchange Student', Kasumi?" said Soun Tendo for the umpteenth time.
Genma Saotome, Soun's closest friend and boarder at the Tendo Dojo, sat
re-reading the letter delivered to them earlier that week. He looked up
over the top, arching a brow at her. "Kasumi, why did you volunteer the
Dojo as a home for an Exchange Student?"
Kasumi's cheeks flushed slightly. "I honestly cannot say, Mister Saotome,"
she answered, reflecting on the strange phone call from the Furinkan School
Board. "They were so sincere about their intentions, and, and we are one of
the leading families in the township, I thought it would be nice to show a
visitor some hospitality."
The sound of chopsticks clattering brought Kasumi's attention to Ranma
Saotome seated across from her. He set his now empty bowl on the table,
sitting forward with a curious stare.
"So, we're opening the dojo up as a Youth Hostel, eh?" he said.
A sturdy smack on the back of the head followed, Akane Tendo, youngest
daughter of the Tendo clan glaring angrily at Ranma.
"Stop berating Kasumi like that," she said, hitting him again.
"OW! I'm not!" cried Ranma, drawing back. "It wasn't meant like that. I
don't think it is a bad idea at all."
"You don't?" said Kasumi.
"Nah. Why not show how friendly our community is? Like you said we are the
leading family in this part of town"
Nabiki, middle daughter of the Tendo clan, nodded her head. "They do always
come to us when trouble afoot. Hmm, maybe this will garner some long
overdue profit, a little free publicity, who knows?"
"This is not meant to be a money-making scheme, Nabiki," said Kasumi.
She shrugged. "Never pass up opportunity no matter how small."
"So when is this student due to arrive, Kasumi?" asked Soun
"The letter said tomorrow."
"Tomorrow?"
Genma turned the letter over finding the small paragraph denoting the time
and place of the newcomers arrival in Furinkan. "Say's she'll be here on
the 12:45 express run from Hiroshima."
"Whew! Long trip," commented Ranma, letting out a whistle.
"She's going to be extremely tired when she gets here I'm sure," said
Kasumi.
"Uh, e'scuse me... 'She'?" Akane asked.
"Yes," replied Soun. "That is what the letter indicates."
He took the letter from Genma, passing it over to her. Akane read the name
of the exchange student. "Anijza?" she finally said.
"Kwong," finished Kasumi.
Nabiki and Ranma peered over Akane's shoulders.
"Korean, huh?" said Ranma. "Not much of an exchange. I was expecting
something more exotic. A Canadian, a Brit, an American-."
"Oh stop," replied Nabiki. "Besides, they make more money than us anyway."
"Now you behave, Nabiki," Kasumi scolded her ambitious sister.
"Why the questioning look, Akane," asked Genma.
Akane stared at the name in the letter, rolling it around her mind in
thought. Something burned deep in the back of her head, doubt or maybe
jealousy. No, no, that was not it; outright that is, but there was
something odd about the girl's name.
"I'm worried about Happosai and his disgusting hobby. Once he finds out we
have another female in the dojo, he'll be all over her things. Bad enough
he riffles through our underwear, she won't have anything left by the end of
the week."
"Oh, that's true. Daddy?" said Kasumi.
"I'll talk to Happosai and ask him to behave."
Suddenly, from the rafters above them, a small figure bounded down landing
at the middle of the table startling them all. Happosai's wizened features
remained briefly frozen in place then with a light chuckle he slowly looked
up.
"No need to talk to me, boy," he said sinisterly, "heh, heh, heh, I will be
sure to greet our new young guest properly... AND TAKE MY FILL OF HER
DELICATE UNDIES!!!!!"
"Master Happosai, please!" exclaimed Genma.
"Opportunity cannot be passed up! I will garner all of her things and
rejoice, REJOICE!"
"Not if we don't lock your old demented ass up first!" shouted Ranma.
"GET'EM!"
Akane remained seated, watching calmly as a flurry of arms and bodies lunged
out to grab the old master. It was all for naught, Happosai bounding
effortlessly up into the air. Even Kasumi was in on the tackle groping
though the air as he leaped over her head. A mad scramble furniture tipping
over as they surged off after him.
Akane let out a sad sigh. "Useless," she muttered. Just about to reach
down and start clearing the mess, Akane caught a slight whiff of something
that made her nose twitch. It was a dank and musty smell, akin to something
left out in the rain and muck after a hard storm. She passed her head over
the table again pausing to regain the smell once more. Her nose twitched
again, and Akane looked down.
It was coming from the letter.
She smirked picking it up, running it past her nose. The smell was there;
faint, but definitely coming from the paper. Or was it paper? A short rub
between her thumb and forefingers left a strange oily feeling on them.
Akane frowned at the letter placing it on the table.
"The School Board needs to rotate their stock more often," she said,
gathering up the dishes...

* * * * *

Sunday;
Curious eyes searched the surrounding platforms for the first sign of their
guest from abroad. Ranma pushed his cap back, letting out a frustrated
sigh, glancing up at the time.
"Hey, Pop! Are you sure this is the platform we're supposed to meet this
Anijza girl at?"
Genma produced the letter again. "K-214," he said, looking up at the sign
above them, "yes this is the one." He folded up the letter. "Not like our
train system to be tardy at all. Strange."
Ranma agreed. An alert sounded, red lights flashed signaling the arrival of
the express train from Hiroshima. The Saotome's traded smiles; Ranma
picking up the sign with their name on it following Genma over to the
railing. A sleek silver train glided to a stop and its passengers began to
disembark. Ranma struggled to make his way through the crowd holding the
sign high above his head. It was futile, inching back to wait for the mass
of people to dissipate.
"Grief, you'd think everyone would be just a bit tired after a trip like
that," said Ranma.
"They act like they could not wait to get off," replied Genma.
"Well it was a long trip, Pop."
"But to be so desperate."
A last rush of bodies exited the train, and when they cleared there standing
at the threshold stood a young red-haired woman. She wore a short pleated
blue skirt, matching blouse with a yellow scarf tied daintily around her
neck. Frilly-laced baby-doll socks and low black Mary Jane shoes complete
her attire, a small suitcase clutched tightly in her hands.
The blood started racing through Ranma and Genma's veins, stunned by the
woman's delicate features. When her deep, slate-gray eyes panned over to
them, Ranma shuddered uncontrollably. A cheerful smile formed and the woman
waved walking excitedly towards them.
"P-P-Pop, Pop! I-I-I can't move," gasped Ranma.
But Genma could not speak, large beads of sweat flowing down his face as the
girl approached. Finally she stopped, giving them a timid bow.
"Konnichi-wa," she said. The sign dropped from Ranma's hands.
She stood glancing back and forth between the two, suddenly turning with a
light gasp. "OH, I've said it wrong. Such a klutz I am!"
"No!" cried Ranma, breaking from his stupor. "You said it right."
She turned back around gazing innocently up at him. "I did?"
"Yes, uh, we, we were just caught off guard b-by your, uh... help me out
here, Pop."
Genma stammered, still lost for words.
"Thanks," said Ranma.
"Oh thank you!" exclaimed the girl. She gave Ranma a firm hug and stepped
back bowing again. "I am Anijza Kwong."
"Uh, Ranma. Ranma Saotome."
Anijza moved up closer to him. "Yes," she said seductively.
The lump in his throat was hard to swallow down; Ranma taking a nervous step
back. "Th-this is my Pop, Genma Saotome."
"Mister Saotome," said Anijza said. For a short second Ranma thought he saw
a look of recognition come to Anijza's eyes, then her innocent smile
returned.
"I am honored by your presence, sir!" she finished, bowing.
"Uh," was the only thing Genma could say.
Ranma slapped him briskly on the back of the head. "You know if Mom finds
out you're reacting like this she's going to decapitate you... right after
your castration."
Cringing, Genma broke from his stammering. "Yes, yes!" he said cheerfully,
rubbing the back of his head nervously. "Welcome, Miss Kwong. Welcome to
Japan. We're pleased to have you here. Ranma, where are your manners?
Take Miss Kwong's luggage."
"Please, Anijza is fine."
Ranma took Anijza's suitcase. She giggled, latching tightly onto his arm.
His eyes went wide, but allowed her to remain.
"Uh, heh, heh, yes ah shall we be going?" said Genma.
Ranma nodded and they headed for the exit. Ranma gave Anijza a quick glance
finding her grinning happily up at him. He looked forward again and
grimaced.
Oh, Akane is not going to like this at all...

* * * * *

Soun layered the final spread of cement across the top of Happosai's
makeshift underground prison. Even though he knew the old sage would
eventually get out, he hoped that it would take him several months. By then
their new guest would be gone and back on her way home.
"Oh you wait until I get out of this, boy," snarled Happosai through the
tiny air hose sticking up out of the ground. "Such calamity I will create,
my wrath you will come to regret!"
"Hm, then we can expect nothing new," replied Soun.
His task finished, Soun stood up. Out the patio door came Nabiki walking
over to observe his work.
"Wanna bet he's out before midnight?" she said.
"Don't talk like that," answered Soun. "That poor girl does not deserve to
endure such trauma."
Nabiki laughed. "At least I know I'll have my underwear untouched tonight."
"Don't you get so confident, girlie!" shouted Happosai. "Once I'm (uhgh)
out of these meshes you've all wrapped me in, I'll break free, and that
girl's undies will be mine, mine you hear me!"
Soun sneered. "You just stay put, you old fool. We'll let you out once
Anijza is gone."
Kasumi stuck here head out the doorway calling to them. "Their back!" she
said excitedly.
"LET ME OUT!" shouted Happosai.
"Be quiet, will you," said Nabiki. She and Soun headed for the door.
Suddenly, Nabiki paused. "Daddy, what if starts raining?"
"One can only hope," he replied.
They joined Kasumi at the doorway; Akane arriving seconds later watching as
Genma entered through the main gate. He looked slightly unsettled then the
reason quickly became apparent as Ranma and their new guest appeared.
Akane's eyelids fluttered rapidly, mouth dropping open at the sight of this
girl latched tightly to Ranma's arm, giggling like some ultra-innocent
schoolgirl at her first dance. They were carrying on in cheerful
conversation and it wasn't until they reached the foot of the steps that
they acknowledged the Tendo family's presence.
"Uh, ha, ha... uh, hi everyone," said Ranma nervously.
Soun's brows furrowed together in annoyance, his withering stare playing
upon Ranma and Genma. ""Being a little too friendly, Ranma?" he said.
Ranma swallowed, gently shrugging his arm out of Anijza grasp. "Ha, ha," he
laughed, feeling the heat from Akane's withering glare.
Suddenly, Anijza walked up to them. "Oh, you must be the Tendo family!" she
said excitedly. Stepping back, Anijza bowed. "Konnichi-wa," she said.
"Welcome," replied Kasumi, returning the bow. "We have been eagerly
awaiting your arrival."
"I am honored to be here."
"Anijza says that she's going to try and complete her studies while she's
here," Genma told them.
"Oh, great. Then that means you must be in the upper classes of your
school," said Nabiki.
Anijza nodded. "I am fifth in my schools mathematics class, and second in
my martial-arts course."
At the mention of martial arts, Ranma's face brightened. "Really now," he
said. "Then you certainly have come to the right place. The Tendo Dojo is
the leading place for that sort of training. Isn't that right, Pop?"
Genma rubbed the back of his head, grinning wide. "Ah, yes. The
Tendo-Saotome style of fighting is unmatched in the world."
Anijza grinned, but her eyes darted anxiously from side to side. "Uh,
f-forgive my ignorance, but I am not familiar with your style," she finally
said.
"Oh this will be good," commented Nabiki.
"Well Ranma and Akane will be more than happy to instruct you," Soun said.
"Later, Daddy," Kasumi cut in. "I'm sure Miss Kwong is tired and hungry
after such a long trip. Akane, please take Anijza's suitcase to your room."
"My room?"
"Yes, that's where she'll be staying."
Akane held back her protest, not wishing to appear rude.
"I've got lunch prepared, so lets all relax and get to know our new guest,"
finished Kasumi.
The clan ushered Anijza along following Kasumi back into the house. That
was all but Ranma and Akane. Quietly, Akane walked over and stared up into
Ranma's face. Tension followed, Ranma swallowing down more fear lumps.
"Uh, I can explain, Akane," he finally said.
Akane glared at him a moment longer then took the bag from his hands. "I'm
sure you could," she said, "But it would do you no good."
"Akane-."
"Ranma," called Genma. "Are you coming?"
Akane turned heading inside. "You better go and catch up with you little
girlfriend," she said as she went.
Ranma stood stunned by her remark. He sighed, gazing hopelessly up at the
sky.
"Women... what does it take to satisfy them?" he cried out...

* * * * *

Laughter echoed around the Tendo table, its occupants trading stories and
talk with their new guest. Anijza sat close by Ranma, gazing up at him as
he retold another story about one of his sparring matches with Akane.
"-and so, and so Akane like charges thinking she's going to level me with a
kick, but I ducked and whoosh! She sails right over my head and bounces on
the mats behind me."
The chuckles increased, that was all but Akane who sat eyeing Ranma malice
written in her eyes. She was not sure though whither or not her anger
stemmed from the playful indirect teasing her boyfriend/husband was giving
her, or the fact that this girl from Korea was literally up in his lap,
hanging on every statement he made. Anijza let out with another giggle that
made Akane's nerves twinge with resentment.
Soun wiped the tears from his eyes, sitting back. "Ranma, how could you do
that to your wife? You should be a bit more careful with such a delicate
woman like Akane."
"I can take anything Ranma can dish out, daddy," snapped Akane.
Ranma turned a humored gaze on her, brows arched mischievously high.
"Really now? You have yet to feel a blow from me 'dear', and for that
matter you have yet to land one as well."
"Feh!" Akane huffed, turning sharply away from him.
He laughed. "Don't let her tantrum bother you, Anijza. Its the... Anijza
is there something the matter?"
All this time Anijza had suddenly grown quiet. Her expression had shifted
into one of shock staring wide-eyed up at him. Slowly, she drew back.
"Anijza?" called Kasumi.
"Ranma," she finally said, "did Mister Tendo say... wife?"
Ranma started, blinking his eyes trying to recall what is was Anijza was
referring to.
"Oh, you mean about Akane!" he replied.
Anijza looked around at Akane, finding her gazing back with a slightly smug
grin. "You are married?"
"Nnnot exactly at the moment," answered Ranma."
"But he will be marrying Akane soon. Won't you... Ranma?" said Soun.
"Heh, heh, heh, heh...."
Nabiki leaned forward. "Does that bother you, Anijza?" she asked the girl.
Anijza stared up at Ranma again before answering.
"No. I wasn't expecting any compli-.... one so young and handsome to be
married."
"Hmm, that was worth at least ten thousand points," commented Ranma.
"Don't get you ego up too high, buster," said Akane.
"Ranma and Akane are betrothed," explained Genma. "Our families are
destined to be united. Isn't that so, Tendo?"
"Quite, Saotome," Soun cheerfully replied grinning from ear to ear.
Again Anijza glanced back at Akane and for a brief second a glimpse
annoyance arced in her eyes. "I'm so happy for you!" she finally said.
"You are very lucky, Akane Tendo, to be gaining such an attractive man as
Ranma for a husband."
Ranma picked up his glass tapping the side with the ends of his chopsticks.
"Oh yes! Yes, Anijza, you go girl! Comments like that might just make you
a strong contender in the game."
"What!" cried Akane.
"Ranma, don't be teasing Akane like that," Genma said sternly.
An awkward silence passed, then Soun cleared his throat. "Tell us, Anijza.
What part of Korea do you come from?"
A question she did not expect, Anijza hid her surprise. "The interior,"
came her answer.
"The interior?" questioned Nabiki.
Anijza nodded. "Very arid, and very, very hot this time of the season."
"Hot as hell?" joked Ranma.
She grinned. "Something like that."
An odd remark; the family passed the notion off. Genma glanced up at the
clock noting the time.
"Hmm, Tendo is it not time for our afternoon game of Shogi?"
"Yes, yes it is, Genma."
"I'll clear the table," said Kasumi, gathering up the empty plates.
"Ranma, why don't you take Anijza around town while there is still some
daylight left," Nabiki suggested to him.
Akane's jaw dropped slightly open in disbelief. Her own sister actually
suggesting something like that knowing full well how much this girl was
oddly clinging to him as if they were the ones to be wed.
Oh no, not a chance.
"I'll take her around," Akane cut in."
Ranma grinned. "Are you sure, Akane?" he asked.
"It would be more than a pleasure," answered Akane.
From the terse glint in her eyes, Ranma knew that would not be such a good
idea. "I know! We'll both take her around town. Would you like that,
Anijza?"
The suggestion apparently excited their new guest. "Oh that would be
wonderful!"
A cackle suddenly cut the air. In a flash, Happosai appeared from outside.
Bits of fine mesh draped around his shoulders, concrete dust and debris in
trail behind him. Several horrified gasp sounded as Happosai dragged his
tired frame inside.
"Heh, heh, heh, heh... so, you all though a mere simple prison could keep me
away from such delicacies as those offered from distant shores!" Happosai's
cackles grew louder. He tipped his head back letting out a long laugh.
Ranma shot to his feet. "You old demented goat!" he shouted fist balling up
tight, "You stay away from Anijza's underwear, you hear?"
"Don't be stupid, youngster! I will take what... is... rightfully-."
Happosai's words trailed off as his eyes fell upon the newcomer seated at
the table. "-mine?" he finished, features turning down in shock and
surprise.
Akane frowned wondering what was causing this sudden change in the possessed
sage. She glanced over at Anijza finding her staring calmly back at the old
man. There seemed not a hint of fear in her, in fact it looked like she was
smiling faintly at Happosai.
The stuttered gasp from Happosai brought her around to see him cringing
fearfully away from them. His scream pierced the air fading away with the
possessed master as he ran off across the lawn. A short leap and Happosai
vaulted over the surrounding walls.
The ensuing silence precluded the amazement from the people at the table.
There were no words that could describe their awe, and slowly all eyes
drifted over to Anijza. She timidly looked around and them said with a
light shrug, "Did I do that?"
Soun leaned towards her. "You may stay as long as you like, Anijza."
"Never thought I'd see Happosai run away from a cute girl," added Ranma.
Akane's stare broke away from her, glaring up at him.
Ranma shrugged. "Is unusual," he said.
"It sure is," replied Akane. She looked at Anijza again with suspicious
eyes. She still seemed unmoved by the encounter.
"We should be going," she suddenly said to them.
"Yes," Genma said. "You kids go on and enjoy yourselves."
"After all of this, the rest of the day should be no problem," Ranma said.
Anijza stood up. She looped an arm around his right giggling innocently up
at him. Ranma felt the heat rushing through him, and then another sensation
of warmth wrapped itself around his left arm. Akane gazed up at him.
Although there was a smile on her face, the sparks were dancing bright in
her eyes.
"Uh... yeah let's get going before the, uh... sun goes down," he said.
The trio walked out the patio doors. Nabiki watched them and then shook her
head. "Boy, oh boy are the next few days going to be interesting," she
said.
"Anijza is such a warm person," Kasumi said. "I hope she doesn't fall madly
in love with Ranma."
"It looks like love at first sight," commented Soun.
Genma grunted out a laugh. "Yes, well my son is dashing and handsome.
Takes after his father."
"And with that its time to get a shovel," replied Nabiki drawing a laugh
from the others.
"Well he does!" exclaimed Genma as they began gathering up the dishes.
Their laughter increased and Genma could only grumble in mute frustration.
His mind pushed aside the slight drifting back to Happosai and the old
mage's reaction to Anijza. He paused, rubbing his chin as his curiosity
peaked slightly at the incident.
Anijza?
Soun's call from behind broke him from his thoughts. He gazed out the patio
doors briefly then went to join his friend.

* * * * *

"And over there, that's the Nerima open air bazaar," Ranma said to Anijza as
the walked down the main strip of Nerima's streets. The girl was still
clinging tight to his arm, but Akane had drifted a few steps back behind
them, fuming silently to herself as she followed the two along.
I can't believe how close she's staying on to Ranma, seethed Akane. She's
got that anaconda grip on him and has not let up since we've left the dojo.
Anijza's high-pitched titter at something Ranma said made the hair on the
back of Akane's neck rise up. "Bitch," muttered Akane.
Suddenly, Anijza's head twitched. She looked back over her shoulder. "Did
you say something Akane?"
It may have sounded like an innocent question, but the static flowing
between them literally crackled in the air. Fighting the urge to just tear
into this girl, Akane forced a smile.
"I was saying that we might need to detour."
"Oh? Why?"
Ranma tapped her on the arm, pointing up the street. It looked like there
was some construction going on the left side of the street fenced off.
Several construction workers sat around apparently taking their afternoon
break. A delivery bike sat at one of the gates, a crowd of men buying meals
from the operator. Ranma recognized Mousse as they approached.
"You gotta meet this guy," Ranma told Anijza. "He's a good friend of mine.
Helped me out of several tight situations."
"But Ranma I-," began Anijza, but her words were cut off as Ranma pulled her
along. Akane followed and they crossed the street
Mousse stopped from his task and looked over. A quick squint of the eyes,
he lifted his glasses and made out Ranma's features as they moved closer.
Immediately the steam rushed to his ears.
"Ranma!" he hissed.
Ranma guided Anijza up front and Mousse started, pulling back the blow he
was about to launch at Ranma. Akane's appearance next to Ranma put off the
angry words he meant to say. For a moment, Mousse stared at the red haired
girl.
"R-Ranko?" he said.
In a flash, Ranma pulled Mousse aside, shushing him with a finger to his
lips. "Mousse, what are you trying to do?" he whispered low. "Anijza
doesn't know about that."
"Anijza? Damn, I thought it was you."
"Nah. She's an exchange student from Korea. Gonn'a stay with us for a
while and finish her studies here."
Mousse eyed him. He turned around looking Anijza over. "Excuse me," he
said bowing, "I mistook you for someone else we know."
"That's okay, Mousse. I understand."
Akane's brows rose up. "How did you know his name?" she asked.
"I have very good hearing, Akane," she replied, cutting a knowing eye at
her. Remembering the earlier encounter, Akane decided to drop the issue.
"Anijza Kwong, this is Mousse. He works down at a restaurant called the
Nekohatten," Ranma told her. "We'll be dropping by there to see someone else
I'd like you to meet."
"So you can get her killed by Shampoo!" exclaimed Mousse.
Anijza paused, placing a hand thoughtfully to her chin. "Shampoo... yes,"
she said with a slight nod.
"Shampoo what?" questioned Akane.
The look on Anijza's face quickly dropped back into innocence. "Ah... an
interesting name that is."
This is getting weirder by the second, thought Akane. Something is not
right and I'm going to get to the bottom of it.
"Oh she won't do anything," she heard Ranma say to Mousse.
"Bull. She sees you walking along with her and Akane you might as well call
out the guard."
A fact Ranma had to admit. Shampoo could get quite upset over anything that
came between her and her 'husband'. "Yeah. I guess it could wait until
later. Say, why don't you tell her about Anijza, and we'll stop by tomorrow
to chat and eat?"
"And I want you anywhere near her too?" replied Mousse.
"Hey, I'm not after anything. Nothing to get upset about."
Akane let out a sigh knowing full well where this was about to go. "Boys,
boys," she said walking up between them. "No need for any fighting,
especially in front of our guest."
"Yeah, where are your manners?" said Ranma.
Mousse tensed ready to pounce, but it was Akane who acted first gently
guiding him and his delivery bike along.
"We'd better move on anyway," she continued, "looks like the construction
crews are about to start up again."
Already the sound of jackhammers and engines echoed around the street.
Anijza's firm grip returned to Ranma's arm as he followed the two along the
temporary walkway past the construction zone. As they walked, Anijza's eyes
were locked upon Akane's back, her mind raging in fury at this small
insignificant toad muddying up what should have been a simple task. She was
saying something to Mousse, her ears picking out 'strange', and 'arrogant'
amidst the conversation.
Oh really? thought Anijza stung by what could only be in her mind as
insults. Akane Tendo's suspicions were no doubt aroused, and that meant she
would have to be dealt with quickly before she upset things. Her eyes
drifted up to the surrounding buildings locking on a service crane, it's
boom holding a pallet full of cement blocks. Ranma was speaking, but she
pretended to be listening, directing her energy out towards the machine.
Slowly, the crane began to turn until its heavy cargo sat poised
precariously above the street. It would be too bad about Mousse, but this
was war, one she was not about to lose. With a slight twitch of a brow, the
bolts holding the cable and pulley together parted.
What Anijza did not expect was Mousse's ears to hear the break, nor expect
him to be as quick grabbing Akane around the waist as he leaped away from
the impending impact zone. Ranma saw the pallet streaking towards the
ground to late to yell out an alarm. The resounding crash sent chunks of
debris sailing through the air. Instinctively, he pulled Anijza close
diving back out into the street. As the dust cleared, Ranma leaped to his
feet staring aghast at the scene.
"Oh no!" he gasped, taking a few steps towards the rubble. "Oh no... Akane!
Mousse!"
Anijza's low moan brought him around. "Are you all right?" he asked her.
She nodded slowly before letting out a gasp at the sight of the rubble.
"Stay here," he told her, running over to the pile. Trembling hands pressed
up over Anijza's mouth, but it was not to stifle her cries, but more to
conceal the dark grin that had formed.
Meanwhile; Ranma was frantically digging through the shattered blocks
desperately calling Akane's name. Several workers arrived and pitched in to
help.
"Akane!" screamed Ranma as he slung aside the rubble. Someone tugged on the
back of his pants leg, but he refused to stop.
"Leave me alone! My fiance is under this!"
"Ranma."
"Stop bothering me, damn it! I've got to save her!"
"Ranma."
Ranma glared angrily back over his shoulder. "Damn it, will you stop
bothering me, Akane? I'm trying to pull you out from under all of this
crap!"
He continued digging then abruptly stopped as his words registered. Akane,
he thought looked up wide-eyed in shock. It was Akane standing behind him;
dusted and disheveled with a slight trickle of blood running from the knick
she had received on her forehead. Oddly enough she was grinning at Ranma.
"Akane!" cried Ranma, rushing down to scoop her up in his arms.
"Ranma, Ranma, calm down! I'm all right."
But Ranma could not bear to let her go, embracing her as tight as he could.
"I thought you were dead," he said.
"I will be if you continue to crush me like this!"
He let her go, drawing back. Pulling out his handkerchief, Ranma began to
dab up the blood dribbling down the side of her face.
Akane's grin returned. "Fiancee, huh?" she teased.
Ranma grimaced, caught flat in the truth of the moment. It was the sound of
Mousse's sobs that prevented him from answering. He was kneeling at the
base of the rubble, fountains of tears streaming from his eyes as he stared
at the sight.
"My, my, my bike," he sobbed. "My bike... it's dead!"
More workers appeared, several foremen rushing over to the two couples.
"Anybody hurt?" shouted one frantically.
"Nah, we're okay," replied Ranma. "Just a few scrapes and cuts."
"What!" shouted Mousse. "My bike is under there! We could've been killed!"
He gasped in sudden shock. "I'm going to be killed. Cologne will execute
me for sure!"
"Hmm," Ranma let out, eyes cutting slyly over at the foremen. "Sounds like
a note to Nabiki Tendo is in order here."
"GYAHH! NOOO!"
Much to the amusement of the workers around them, the foremen dropped to
their knees bowing prostrate at Ranma's feet.
"Please, young sir. We do not need to bring Mistress Nabiki into this!"
"I dunno. Almost killing her sister sure sounds like grounds to me."
"GAAAAHHHHH!!!!"
Akane swatted Ranma on the arm. "Behave," she told him. Sirens sounded,
Police and Emergency crews arriving on the scene.
"Well, seeing that nobody was seriously hurt, I guess we can let it go."
"What about my Bike?" shouted Mousse.
"It will be replaced!" frantically answered one of the foremen.
"It better be, or, or... I'll sue!"
One of the foremen fell back in a dead faint.
"Calm down, Mousse," said Ranma. "They'll get you a new one. Come on,
let's go give our statements to the police and head over to Ucchans."
Ranma and Akane helped Mousse to his feet and they turned to collect Anijza.
She surprised them all appearing behind Ranma. Her eyes were not locked on
him, but on Akane in a strange gaze that sent brief shivers down her back.
Quietly, she walked over giving the girl a short once-over.
"I am glad to see you were not hurt," she said, her tone almost lifeless.
"I was lucky," answered Akane with a hint of resentment lacing her words.
Ranma gave Akane a light nudge breaking them from their hostile glares. "We
need to go like now?" he said.
Akane nodded, gazing up at the crane. She frowned noticing that the
drivers' cupola was empty, and then drifted back over at Anijza again.
Another tug from Ranma; Akane walked coldly past her...

* * * * *

The smell of fresh coking brought several pleased smiles to the faces seated
before a cooking grill, assorted meats and vegetables simmering in puddles
of baking Okonomiyaki batter. A spatula flashed flipping the entrees over
with delicate skill. Ukyo Kuonji dealt out the morsels of food sliding each
plate down the counter to a stop before her friends. They eagerly dived in
to their meals.
"So," said Ukyo, setting down her spatula, "Akane's luck has prevailed
again."
Ranma nodded. "It's a good thing Mousse was there otherwise I'd be down at
the city morgue trying to identify the puddle of mush they'd have become."
A sharp pinch from Akane brought a yelp from him.
"I do owe Mousse my life," continued Akane, shooting looks of death at
Ranma. "Anijza here might have had to go back home in mortal shock after
seeing something like that."
Ukyo glanced over at the strange redhead seated oddly close to Ranma.
Irritating, but Ukyo did not want to let it upset her. "Tough thing to be
witnessing so early in your trip, eh?" she said to her.
"Not a very pleasant way to start things, no," Anijza calmly answered,
taking another bite from her meal.
Must not be to upsetting to break her appetite, thought Ukyo.
"Like I said to Anijza earlier," Ranma said, "Mousse is such a great guy to
have around." He gave Mousse a friendly hug around the shoulders. "I
owe'ya partner."
"You can repay me by staying away from Shampoo then," replied Mousse.
"I try, but she keeps hounding me! With Cologne egging her on, I can't seem
to avoid it."
"At least say you're not her husband!"
Anijza let out a gasp. The surprised look on her face drew both Akane and
Ukyo's attention. "Some thing wrong?" asked Ukyo.
"Husband?" let out Anijza with some difficulty.
Akane barely suppressed her smile. "Yes, Shampoo thinks that Ranma is her
husband after some silly Amazon law."
"I just don't see why she can't give up and take me?" added Mousse.
"Ranma," said Anijza turning to him, "you have two fiance's?"
Innocently, Ranma gazed up at the ceiling. "Ah... well... kind'a-."
"Oh, there's more," Mousse told her.
"What!?"
Ranma smacked him on the side of the head. "What'd you go and tell her that
for?"
Mousse ignored him. "I figure by the last count it was four. Four, right
Ranma?"
"Mousse!"
A visible shudder passed thought Anijza. "And who are these other two
interlopers?" she asked almost in a demanding tone.
The group paused, eyeing the girl for a moment.
"Interlopers," trailed Ranma stroking his chin, "I like that, Anijza. I'm
going to start carrying a small notebook around when I'm with you."
"Do you even know what it means?" snapped Akane.
Seeing that Ranma was about to get thrashed by Akane, Mousse was more than
ready to fan the building flames. "Well there's Kodachi Kuno."
"Kodachi? Kodachi Kuno?"
"You haven't met her yet, and you really don't want to," said Ranma.
Mulling the name in her mind, Anijza pondered her situation. More
complications, things that would have to be neutralized along with this toad
Akane Tendo. "And who is the fourth member of Ranma's growing harem?"
Ukyo giggled at the comment. "A harem it is not, Anijza, and that fourth
member would be me."
"You?"
Ukyo crossed her fingers, leaning on the counter top. "Me," she answered
with a devious grin.
Ranma, realizing that things could get out of hand, quickly explained that
Ukyo was a long time friend of his when he was growing up in China. That
seemed to settle things with Anijza, but there was a sense of confusion
about the girl.
"Hey, don't let it bother you," he said. "I'm a one woman type of guy."
"What!" exclaimed Ukyo.
"I got morals!"
Akane frowned not sure which topic she should go after first. "You are
taking this a bit personal, Anijza," she finally said.
Anijza's demeanor quickly returned to one of innocence. "I, I am just...
surprised that Ranma here has so many women claiming him for their husband.
We do not have such problems where I come from."
"Really? I can guess that means you're already arraigned to someone?"
"Oh yes. Someone very dear to my heart."
The thin, devious smile Anijza gave Akane sent a shudder up and down her
spine. Suddenly, a brief spasm of pain coursed through Akane's head.
Grimacing, she placed a hand to the bandage and closed her eyes with a hum.
"Akane?" said Ranma.
She waved him off. "It's nothing. Just a twitch that's all."
Ukyo moved Akane's hand aside and looked the bandage over. "Might need
another cleaning," she told her.
"It was just a scratch, Ukyo."
"Infections don't need much to start, Akane."
Taking her by the hand, Ukyo guided Akane around the counter into the back.
"Ukyo," Akane started to protest, but she raised a finger hushing Akane to
silence. Stopping at one of the deep sinks, Ukyo turned on the water
allowing it to stream loudly into the drain. She quickly walked back to the
double doors and peeked out into the dining room before rejoining Akane.
"What is up with this Anijza-girl, Akane?" she whispered.
"Oh, you sense it too?"
Ukyo reached up grabbing a towel and passed it through the stream of water.
"I can't explain it, but she gives me the willies."
Gently, Ukyo took Akane's chin in one hand and began wiping around the
bandage on her forehead. For a second she paused, and then arched a brow.
"I don't think I like her."
"Sometimes you don't like me because of my relationship with Ranma," Akane
replied.
"You're different. Her... I just don't know."
"She is a bold one, isn't she- Ow!"
"Sorry." Ukyo slowly peeled back the bandage. "Fools. They didn't put
anything in this to help heal the skin."
As her friend went to one of the cabinets, Akane gazed out towards the
double doors. She went over and peered out the small window; finding Anijza
holding Ranma's left arm up examining his hand as if looking for something.
A slight snarl emanated from her, the heat rising in her temples.
"What is she doing?" she said.
"I think she's looking for any signs of a ring or something," Ukyo answered,
surprising Akane as she peered over her shoulder.
Together they drew back trading looks for a moment. Ukyo resumed her
dressing of Akane's wound applying a salve of mashed roots to the cut.
Akane let out a sigh of relief as the pain slowly faded away.
"You know, Ukyo, that girl acts almost as if she's known Ranma for a long
time."
"Sure does. How long has she been here? Half a day and already cooing up
to him like a long lost lover. Strange."
"I don't attribute it to love at first sight."
They peered out the window again; Anijza reassuming her close grip on
Ranma's arm staring starry-eyed up at him.
"Yuck," said Ukyo. "Akane, we better keep an eye on this one."
"I'll say. Look at her virtually throwing herself into his lap."
"No. There is something more. Do you know her schedule yet at school?"
"Haven't asked."
"Hmm. Then we're just going to have to play it out tomorrow and see what
develops."
Akane cut here eyes up at Ukyo. "So I take it we're at a truce?"
"Yep. Deal?"
A smile formed, Akane glad to see she had an ally in this. "Deal."
"Good. Now let's get back out there and break them up before she becomes a
permanent part of Ranma."