[Ranma][Fanfic][Dark] Love & War: Love - Chapters 4 - 6

Shuma Gorath

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

Chapter Four

When Ken arrived home, it wasn't late, but he was tired. Ukyou
wasn't kidding when she said it was tough, he thought. It had taken him
twice as long to clean up with Ukyou as it had after the lunch rush. Ken
wondered how she did it every day, and how she could do it without help.
Apparently, he mused, with a lot of trouble. Ukyou seemed quite pleased
to have help. Perhaps a little company as well? Ken couldn't tell,
although he didn't mind the conversation and the joking around during the
time at the restaurant.
Ken walked through the hall and up the stairs to the bathroom. He
felt exhausted and fairly dirty from the dishwater and wiping up tables
for most of the day. He stopped at the door and paused.
"You didn't go shopping yet, you idiot," he said to himself. Ken
sighed. Forgetfulness wasn't becoming of a person who prided himself on
being an honorable warrior. He walked over to the room marked Akane and
knocked on the door.
"Come in," he heard. Ken opened the door and cautiously poked a
head in the doorway. Akane was sitting up in her bed.
"I hope I'm not bothering you, but I need to find Nabiki's room."
"Oh. Sure thing," Akane said with a smile. She walked to her
door and pointed to another across the hall. Ken thanked her and walked
over to knock on the door. Before he could knock, he heard Nabiki's
voice.
"Come in."
Ken cautiously opened the door. He felt like he was being hunted.
"Well, hello! I haven't seen you in a while," Nabiki beamed at
him.
"Actually, it's only been half a day. I saw you at lunch,
Nabiki," he said cautiously.
"Are you okay?" she asked.
"Well, I kind of need to borrow money?"
Nabiki grinned broadly.
"Sure! No problem. First, I need you to do a few things," she
said as she crossed the room and closed the door. Ken stepped back from
her defensively. Despite all of his training to kill people in various
ways with various means, women still intimidated him to no end.
"I'm not like that," Nabiki said with a laugh.
"Exactly what are you going to make me do?"
"First, I need to set up your portfolio. You know, a way to keep
track of things," she replied as she drew a camera from her desk. "Let's
take a profile, shall we?"
Ken raised an eyebrow, but complied slowly. Nabiki was quick to
order him into other odd poses for "the sake of investment." Ken couldn't
understand, but did so since he needed the money. He felt she was getting
at something, but wasn't sure what.
"So exactly what are you going to do with the money you need?"
"Well, I was hoping to buy some clothes. I'm at a loss for
clothes since I didn't really decide I wanted to come here," Ken said in
an exasperated voice. Nabiki took it in stride. The mention of the words
'clothes' and 'buy' instantly set off a trigger as Nabiki became twice as
animated as before. Ken was mystified.
"Really? Let's go right now then! I'll help you pick out your
clothes."
"Nabiki? Why are you so eager to help? I really appreciate it
and all, but it's a little bit sudden if you know what I mean."
"Nonsense. Just trying to be friendly."
"Oh. Well, I appreciate it. I'll get you the money back
tomorrow. Ukyou said she'd be able to get me some cash tomorrow."
"Ukyou?" Nabiki asked, surprised by the mention of Ranma's other
fiance.
"Well, I just got a job from her today. That's where I've been
most of the day actually."
Bingo, Nabiki exclaimed mentally.
"Oh, really?" she said nonchalantly. "Well, don't worry about it.
Let's get going now, since the shops are going to close soon."
Nabiki practically dragged Ken out of her room.

Akane was feeling better. A lot better since she had that
conversation with Kasumi. She'd heard it from Kasumi, but wondered if it
was true.
"Could Ranma really love me?" she asked herself. She pored over
all the times they'd broken the engagement. All of the times she broke
the engagement. She sighed when she realized she had been the one that
broke off the engagement every time. Ranma had always taken it in stride,
and followed through with it. Whether it was by choice, or as something
to be fulfilled for the sake of honor, Akane couldn't tell.
Akane decided she needed a drink, and to talk to Ranma's mother.
Of anyone, Nodoka would be able to tell her about Ranma's behavior, even
if she hadn't seen him for years on end. Nodoka's ability to decipher her
son's actions was always on the mark and never failed to impress Akane.
It was something Akane wished she could do. Ranma was still a mystery to
her. Perhaps not as much now that so much time had passed, but a mystery
nonetheless. As she walked out of her room, Akane could hear Nabiki
talking to Ken. Nabiki's fast-talking rang a bell in Akane's mind. Must
be making an important deal, she thought to herself with a grimace when
she realized Ken was in there. She wondered what Ken would end up doing
to repay his newfound debt; but a knock at the door interrupted her train
of thought.
Akane skipped down the stairs to see who it was, but stopped
halfway down. Kasumi beat her to the door and Akane could hear the
conversation.
"Hi. I hope I'm not bothering you."
It was Ukyou. Akane's spirits instantly dropped a notch.
"No, not at all," Kasumi replied pleasantly.
"Ranma's busy," Akane said flatly as she walked to the door.
Ukyou was standing there in her androgynous clothes, as usual, but
she was holding a katana in its scabbard in her left hand. Ukyou frowned
slightly.
"If it's a bother, I can just leave this here. I really didn't
mean to cause any problems," she said.
Akane was surprised.
"What do you mean?" she asked.
"I was here to see Ken. He left this at the restaurant. I wanted
to return it," she quipped. And see my Ran-chan, she added mentally.
Akane's gaze dropped to the ground.
"Oh. I'm sorry, Ukyou. I thought-"
"That I came here looking for Ranma to grab him for a date?"
Akane colored slightly.
"I'm really sorry, Ukyou. I shouldn't have jumped to
conclusions."
Ukyou was about to shoot a snide remark at Akane when she heard a
door open. She looked past Akane to see Ken being dragged by Nabiki
rapidly towards the door. When she made eye contact, Ken's face instantly
looked pained. He mouthed a "help me," before Nabiki ground to a halt at
the door.
"Oh. Hello, Ukyou," Nabiki said brightly.
"Making another deal, Nabiki?" Ukyou said with a smile.
"Actually, I'm taking Ken-chan here to buy some new clothes," she
replied sweetly. Ken looked over at the mention of his name and caught
sight of his sword. He nudged his way through Nabiki and Akane to stand
in front of Ukyou.
"Hey! I must have forgotten my sword again. If I were any more
forgetful, I'd leave my clothes there or something," he said with a
sheepish laugh. Ukyou handed Ken his sword and froze when his hand
touched hers. It sent a small tingle up her spine. Ken didn't notice.
"Thanks for bringing it by. I really shouldn't be so forgetful,"
he said with a smile. Ken looked over to Nabiki who had an expectant
look. She waved a yen note in the air. Ken instantly brightened as an
idea suddenly dawned upon him. Nabiki was taken back by the reaction. He
ignored it and quickly turned to Ukyou.
"Since you're my boss and all, I guess I'm going to end up
spending your money, right?"
Ukyou laughed.
"What do you mean by that?"
"Well, since I need to buy some clothes, would you want to lend me
a hand?"
Ukyou looked surprised.
"You want me to help you pick out your clothes?" she asked.
"Well, if you want," he said. Ken leaned close to whisper to her.
"That and it'd make me feel a little better about being with Nabiki. I
think she's got something up her sleeve."
Ukyou stifled a laugh.
"Sure thing, Sugar. Anything for an employee, right?"
Ken laughed. Nabiki looked puzzled.
"Let's go," Ukyou said and grabbed Ken by the arm to drag him off
before Nabiki could. Ken suddenly felt slightly apprehensive about asking
Ukyou to help. He noticed the mention of buying clothes made Ukyou more
animated than before.
When the three of them walked into the shopping mall, people were
still busily walking in and out. Nabiki instantly dragged them into one
of the more expensive stores.
"Are you sure I'll need a suit? This isn't really what I had in
mind," Ken asked.
"Don't be silly. Of course you need a suit. You need to look
sharp for the ladies, right?"
Ken blushed furiously. Ukyou couldn't help but laugh at the
helpless expression on his face.
"Nabiki," she said, "I think Ken's needs are a little more basic
than a suit and tie. He did mention that he didn't have a stitch of
clothes to wear other than what he's got on now. Why don't we get him
some shorts, or pants and a few t-shirts or something? Enough to last him
a few days," Ukyou waved to the rest of the apparel shops in the mall as
they left the store. "Maybe we should be concerned about dressing him
before we make him into a lady magnet"?
Nabiki grinned.
"I think he'd be a lady magnet if he wasn't wearing any clothes,"
she said frankly.
Ken felt his face turn several shades of red. He wanted to hide
under a rock. Ukyou took it in stride and laughed at the joke.
"Excuse me, but are all of you like this?" he asked timidly.
"Whatever do you mean?" Nabiki replied curiously.
"Nevermind,"
"Suit yourself," she said. "How about here?" she asked as they
passed another shop. The three of them walked in. Ukyou and Nabiki
fanned out instantly. I wonder if all women are like this, he mused. Ken
didn't have much time to think about it as Nabiki returned quickly with a
few pairs of jockey shorts and a pair of jeans. Ken raised an eyebrow
suspiciously.
"What are those for?" he asked as he pointed towards the jockey
shorts.
"What do you think?" she replied with a smile. Ken rolled his
eyebrows.
"I think I'm going to look to see what Ukyou found," he said.
"Hey, at least try the jeans."
Ken sighed and walked to the dressing room. He met Ukyou waiting
for them there.
"I found you some stuff to wear," she said brightly. She had a
bundle of clothes in her arms and she motioned to the dressing room. "In
you go," she ushered.
After taking the clothes from her arms, Ken reluctantly walked
into the dressing rooms.
"Don't forget to try the jeans on first," Nabiki called out after
him. Ukyou and Nabiki heard some grumbling and then the sound of someone
changing clothes. One of the attendants walked up to them while they were
waiting.
"Can I help you with something?" she asked sweetly.
"Nope. We're fine," Nabiki said quickly.
"Just fine," Ukyou added.
"You know, I noticed that guy that came in with you," the
attendant said with smirk. "So who's the lucky one?"
Nabiki smiled.
"He's not taken," she replied with a grin. The attendant smiled.
"Nabiki!" Ukyou said with a start. "You're not going to pawn off
pictures of him like Ran-chan are you?"
Nabiki looked shocked.
"Moi? Pictures?" she asked.
Ken suddenly walked out of the dressing room. He had on a pair of
faded grey jeans and a black t-shirt. The jeans looked two sizes too
small.
"The jeans are too small, but the shirt fits fine," he said as he
tugged at the waistline of his jeans. After tucking in his shirt he
looked up at Nabiki and Ukyou and the attendant. The attendant had a
smile on her face.
"Oh. Uh- hello," he stammered. "I think I'll try on the other
stuff now. Excuse me," Ken said quietly and quickly as he backed into the
dressing room again. Nabiki grinned. He's easier than Ranma, she
thought.
"Did you pick those jeans out?" the attendant asked Nabiki.
"Yup," she replied with a smirk.
"Nice choice."
Ukyou was aghast. She couldn't believe Nabiki was treating Ken
like she treated Ranma. She was about to say something when Ken's voice
floated out of the dressing room.
"Hey Ukyou, the stuff you picked out fits a lot better."
Ken walked out of the dressing room with a pair of loose black
pants on. Nabiki was struck at how similar they were to Ranma's clothes.
She cast a questioning look at Ukyou who looked away with a slight flush.
"I like these a lot better. Do they have anything in another
color?" he asked brightly. The attendant quickly walked off to find
something.
When the three of them left the mall, Nabiki was impressed at how
closely Ukyou had dressed Ken up to match Ranma. It was amazing to say
the least, in her opinion. Aside from a few of the shirts they ended up
buying, all the clothes were things Ranma himself would have bought.
Nabiki found it amusing that Ken didn't notice. It seemed he was happy
enough just having clothes.
"What's in the bag?" Ken asked Ukyou as they walked back.
"Nothing, really," she replied.
"Looked like a uniform."
"Yeah. It's a school uniform."
"Isn't it a guy's uniform though?"
"So?" Ukyou asked defensively.
"Oh, nothing. I was just curious," Ken replied. "I didn't know
people needed to wear uniforms to school. I didn't see Ranma wearing
one."
"Ranma's quite an individual," Nabiki said dryly.

"You know, these clothes look a lot like mine."
"Yeah. I know. I never really noticed until I got back," Ken
said. He picked up a set of blue pants and threw them at Ranma. "These
too?"
Ranma nodded. He sat in the middle of his room staring at the
clothes Ken brought back.
"So who picked out the clothes?" he asked.
"Mostly Ukyou," Ken replied, "but Nabiki picked out the two muscle
shirts and the boxers. Why? Are those familiar too?" Ken asked with a
laugh.
"Well, yeah," Ranma said bluntly. Ken broke down and began
laughing endlessly.
"What's so funny?" Ranma asked.
"I might as well have just kept borrowing your clothes. You
should have seen the look on Nabiki's face when I told her that though.
It looked like she was about to choke."
Ranma smiled.
"Yeah, Nabiki's not too big on losing a deal," he said with a
grin.
Ken slowed his laughing and caught his breath.
"Nabiki's quite a mercenary, isn't she?"
"Yeah. She is," Ranma replied offhandedly. "I actually have a
deal where I make some money from the pictures she takes of me. I don't
get much though."
Ken was taken aback.
"You let her take pictures of you?" he asked incredulously.
"Yeah. It really shouldn't surprise you, considering how
manipulative she is," Ranma replied nonchalantly.
"Wow. I should have known."
"Hunh?" Ranma raised an eyebrow.
"I had to let her take ten pictures of me."
"How much did she lend you?"
"Ten thousand yen?"
Ranma whistled.
"She must have some big plans for you," Ranma chuckled. "She'll
probably turn it into some raffle or something. You sure only ten
pictures?"
Ken shrugged.
"I couldn't tell. She made me wear those pants," he said as he
pointed to a pair of blue pants, "and the white muscle shirt, if it helps
any."
Ranma shook his head.
"Yup. She's got a raffle in store for you. That's what she did
to me once. I wanted to borrow money from her for a present for Akane,
and I ended up getting pictures taken of me in the muscle shirt. She gave
copies to all of the girls that are after me," Ranma eyed Ken curiously.
"You know, you should have been able to count out the number of times the
camera clicked as it took the shot."
Ken shook his head in wry chagrin.
"I tried. She had one of those new cameras that have a really
quiet trigger. I tried watching the number of times she was pushing the
trigger, but she kept walking around, talking, and making me keep looking
away from her while I struck poses. It was pretty embarrassing, but I
can't very well walk around naked. I would've called it all off, but I
needed the money."
"Good thing you've got a job. You'll be able to pay it off in no
time."
Ken cast Ranma a questioning look.
"Why don't you get a job? I'm sure you could find a place in no
time. Why not at Ucchan's? I'll bet she could use some more help."
Ranma shook his head sadly.
"Akane gets mad if I go anywhere near any of the other girls. As
much as I'd like to help out a pal like Ucchan, I'd be risking a lot. I
don't want to make it look like I'm playing favorites. Even though that's
not what it'd be, Akane would pound my head in, ya know. Besides, there
ain't a lot of places that'll hire me. I already tried. They keep saying
I cause more trouble than I'm worth."
Ken shrugged, got off the floor and headed to the door.
"Well, if you need any money, I'd be happy to lend you some. I
won't even charge interest," he said over his shoulder with a grin. Ranma
laughed.
"Sure thing."

Ken sat in the tub for a long time, thinking. Things were going
well for him. Even though it was only a day since he formally met the
Tendos, he felt comfortable around them. They seemed to accept him
unconditionally, and even though there wasn't a lot of room, they still
let him stay in the dojo. Ken smiled. Even with the Saotomes leaving to
live in their own house, there was still no room. Granted, Ranma had
offered to let him move into his room, but Ken felt a person's privacy was
important. At the Tendo dojo, he had found a kind, open family willing to
help a stranger without any strings attached.
Well, there's always Nabiki, he said mentally. Ken shook his
head. He felt a little uncomfortable around her. She always had a
predatory look in her eye when she looked at him. She always seemed to be
sizing him up. Just like they look at beef before they choose which ones
to slaughter, he thought. A slight chill passed through him, and he
shuddered reflexively. It was a little unnerving at times, watching her
watch him absentmindedly. Whenever he caught her looking at him, she
always smiled and waved with that look on her face. He couldn't explain
it. Then there was Ukyou.
Ken leaned back and sighed. Ukyou was so very different than
everyone. She was happy to meet him, and even sympathetic to his plight.
She stood behind the counter at the restaurant and patiently listened to
him talk about his entire life to her. She even understood. Ukyou had
explained her life's story in return. They had shared so many of the same
experiences. Chasing after someone for years on end, seeking revenge.
Training to perfect themselves as a warrior to drown out the fury and the
pain they felt at abandonment. Only, Ukyou still had a family; and he had
nothing left.
I can't even see my own brother, he thought sadly. After finding
him after all this time, alive and well, and the only other one alive from
our family, no less. After fighting with him to avenge the death of our
parents, I have myself disavowed and cast out. Now there's nothing.
Nothing left. A stray tear fell from his face and disturbed the tranquil
surface of the water he sat in. Ken blinked away the tears.
Ukyou had treated him so well. She stirred feelings he hadn't
felt in ages. It was an indescribable feeling. It was always so peaceful
when they were together. He could forget things that hurt him and enjoy
his life. She didn't even care when he told her he'd been disavowed. He
could still hear her voice. Firm and encouraging, while his had been
shaky and broken.
"How can you not notice?" he had asked.
"Notice what?"
"I've been disavowed from my clan. I'm an honorless warrior.
I've got nothing left for me anywhere. I don't even have a home, or a
family. Most of all, I'm honorless -completely shamed."
"Hey! That's no way to talk, Sugar! From what Ran-chan tells me,
you're the best fighter he's met in a long time. I saw the way you took
down Shampoo so effortlessly. You move like it's all a dance, like some
kind of ballet. I wish I could do that."
"You can," he had replied sheepishly. "I think you always move
like that. You move so gracefully. I wish I could carry myself like
that. People wouldn't think I'm some outcast."
"Well, if you'd think about stuff other than being shamed, you
would," she had admonished with a wry grin. "There's more to life than
thinking about honor. A lot more."
"Like what?" he had asked quietly.
"Like friendship," she had replied with a smile. "And love. If
you've got those, then nothing else matters."
She'd winked at that, and gave him a reassuring pat on the hand as
she walked off.
Ken smiled at the memory. She had said it like there was no doubt
that she could be wrong. Perhaps she wasn't. Ken chuckled and got out of
the tub and watched the water drain. He sighed as it swirled and then
trickled, giving off an empty croaking noise as it did. As Ken wrapped a
towel around his waist, he thought he heard a faint clicking noise in the
other room. His brow furrowed. He heard it again, but this time it was
followed by a slow noise that sounded like a zipper being pulled.
Ken walked to the door and threw it open. Nobody was there.
"Must be hearing things," he muttered to himself.

* * * * * * * * * *
Ethan Tsai
1 N. College Street
Northfield, MN 55057

TS...@Gridley.ACNS.Carleton.edu
http://public.carleton.edu/~tsaie/ethan.html

Quote of the day:
"You'd win if you stopped hitting my foot with your head."
-The Amazing Spider-man

Chapter 5

Cologne looked at the circlet she had in her hands once again.
She traced the outline of the gold artifact and couldn't find any
imperfection in the design. After placing it on the table before her, she
picked up the accompanying one. The thin gold wristband was attached to a
gold small ring, bearing a blood red ruby. Thin lines of silver connected
the two pieces to make a delicate-looking piece of jewelry. Cologne
wasn't fooled, however. Once again, she took the work of art and placed
it on the table, striking it once with a small hammer. Nothing happened.
No dents, no scratches, no sign of any wear. She grimaced. In her entire
lifetime, few items had captured her attention as this set did. Something
attracted it to her, beckoning her to use it. Cologne could sense great
power coming from the pair, and yet it defied her knowledge and bank of
tomes and scrolls. Only stories and legends accounted for its existence.
Cologne hopped over to the opposite side of the table. Scrolls
and books littered it and there was the sense of frustration and stubborn
curiosity about it. All the hints she had gleaned from the countless
tomes and scrolls she had used lead her to believe that there was a kind
of connection between the ki of the wearer of the articles. One wore the
circlet, the other, the ring and wristband. Both were joined mentally
somehow. Commands from one were issued to the other. Obeisance was
immediate, and unconditional. Orders were carried out without question.
At least, that was the impression she had.
She quietly made her way through the restaurant. Mu-mu-chan was
in his cage sleeping. The risk that he was researching the jewelry was
too great. She had discovered him poring over a large tome, opened to the
legend of the Monkey King, once. That time she had chastised him
severely. The next time, she caught him poring over a tome on mind
control. At that point she had changed him into his cursed for and locked
him up in the cage. Even threats to turn him into a dinner course seemed
to be ineffective now. The boy isn't as stupid as he acts, she thought to
herself bitterly.
She made her way to a door with a small wooden cat on it. The
Chinese characters for Shampoo were scrawled on it. Cologne quietly
opened the door and gazed at her great granddaughter as she slept soundly
in bed.
"Ranma will marry her, and the Amazon line will continue to be
strong" she said to herself under her breath. Shampoo stirred ever so
slightly and called out Ranma's name quietly. Cologne shook her head.
She has fallen in love with the outsider, and far more so than I had
imagined, she thought. Yet, Ranma is worthy of joining the Amazon's. He
will marry her, and the correct matriarchy will maintain the village. My
honor will be maintained, and the Amazon's will be greater than before.
She closed the door slowly, and made her way back to the kitchen.
Cologne grimaced and exhaled slowly. There was no margin for
error in her plans. No chance to experiment. No chance at all. Only one
attempt could be made. If successful, insured the merger of the Saotome
line and the Amazons; and the added bonus of a nearly immortal powerslave.
Cologne pored over her plans again. It was nearly infallible, based on
what she knew. There was a chance she was wrong, but she had lived 300
years learning from mistakes. Her last mistake was doubting herself. All
she needed to do now, was wait for the opportunity to present itself.
"In time, great granddaughter, all will be well," she said
quietly.

Ken woke in the morning to the familiar sounds of the occasional
car driving by, and the rest of the Tendo household busying themselves
with preparing for school. He sat up on the bedroll, stretching quietly.
He stood up and tidied up the bedroll, rolling it into a corner, and out
of the way. Still in his boxers, Ken moved around the dojo with precise
even movements as he practiced a kata for control. As he finished the
kata, he worked into other more elegant forms for practice. I need a
proper wooden dummy, he thought to himself as he finished a kick in
midair, landed, and swept a foot out to an imaginary opponent. Ken
increased the speed and intensity of each movement, and gradually focused
spiritual energy to each of the punches and kicks he executed. When he
finished a twisting double kick in midair, he paused, and walked to a pile
of clothes by the bedroll, pulling out a towel. After wiping his brow, he
moved to his sword.
Again, Ken walked to the middle of the dojo, gave a small bow to
the shrine, and closed his eyes. He began slowly twirling the katana in
its scabbard in slow deliberate movements. As Ken sped up the tempo of
the motion of the spinning weapon, there was a low humming noise as the
small strap cut through the air in the dojo. Keeping his eyes closed,
focusing on his breathing and the movement of the scabbard, he twirled it
around his arms, waist, shoulder. It flowed fluidly around his body like
water, snapped into a stopped position and flowed in an opposite direction
in an instant. As the tempo increased, Ken opened his eyes slowly,
staring at the shrine in front of him. Suddenly, he drew the katana as
the scabbard spun from his left hip. The scabbard twirled once to his
right hip where he stopped it and brought it to the floor with an easy
motion from his leg. It ended up underneath his right foot.
Ken raised the sword to a ready position and made three fluid
strokes while backing from his original position. After finishing the
three strokes, he twirled the sword to an improper grip, pointing the tip
downwards. He paused, advanced and spun the sword fluidly as if blocking
repeated blows from an invisible counterpart. Finally the sword stopped
in his right hand in a reversed grip. He snapped it to attention behind
his arm, pointing the live blade behind him. He gave a stiff bow and
sighed. As he lowered to a kneeling position, he gave a forceful flick of
the sword and held it out horizontal in front of him. Ken took the
scabbard and fluidly sheathed the live blade. He looked around the dojo,
noting wet spots on the floor and a lack of blood droplets. A smile
worked its way across his face. He hadn't seen blood from Long-tzu since
the incident with Shampoo.
"Nice moves. Are you going to be coming to breakfast?"
Ken spun around. It was Nabiki, and she had her predatory grin on
her face again. Ken swallowed and strode over to a pile of clothes.
"Don't you ever knock?"
"Whatever for?" Nabiki asked.
"Don't you think I'd be a little apprehensive about having people
look at me when I'm half naked?" he shot at Nabiki as he forcefully yanked
on a pair of pants and a muscle shirt.
"No. I think you're proud of your body and you like showing it
off. I know Ranma does."
"Well, I'm not Ranma!"
"I noticed. Ranma's got bigger biceps," she said as she walked up
and tapped him on the chest. "And Ranma's got a little less definition in
those pecs of his."
"If you'll excuse me," he stammered. Ken took to the house,
obviously flustered.
Nabiki smiled broadly.
"This guy's easier than Ranma," she said to herself with a
chuckle.
By the time Ken had entered the house, Ranma and Akane were
leaving. They waved good-byes and ran off to avoid being late. Nabiki
followed behind after telling Ken that he should meet her in an hour or so
before lunch started. Ken looked confused, but she passed him a note. He
shrugged, took the note and ate breakfast.
"Mr. Tendo, I have been meaning to ask about the dojo."
Soun looked up from his paper with a wry smile.
"It will be passed on to Ranma and Akane when they are married,"
he replied.
"Do you still take on students?"
Sound looked surprised, then chuckled.
"I'm afraid my days as a sensei are very few, if not gone
already."
Genma shook his head.
"Our days as instructors in the art are soon to be over. That is,
of course, why Ranma and Akane are to be wed."
Nodoka nodded silently in agreement.
"Perhaps your days are not as numbered as they may seem. I see
you train with Ranma every so often, and I'm sure that Mr. Tendo has
trained Akane to some degree," Ken said to Genma. Nodoka looked
quizzically at Ken.
"What are you implying?" she asked.
"I would like to request the honor of learning some of the
Anything Goes style from either Soun or Genma, or both."
Soun laughed.
"I'm quite pleased to hear that you'd like to train, but as I said
before, my days as a sensei are now over. It is now Ranma's turn to be a
sensei; as soon as he gets married, of course."
Genma nodded in assent.
"I'm afraid my son has gone beyond both myself and Tendo-kun.
Besides, I saw your skill at fighting already. You are skilled enough to
beat Ranma already. Why should you seek to learn more about the art?"
Ken shook his head.
"I don't know anything about the art. I don't know self control
when I fight yet. It comes with great difficulty, and I had hoped that
perhaps one of you could teach me self control, through the Anything Goes
style."
Genma nodded his head as did Soun. However, it was Nodoka that
spoke.
"Perhaps all you need to learn is meditation. I learned once, and
I'm sure I could show you if you'd like."
Genma looked surprised.
"No-chan, I thought your rock garden was only for relaxation."
Nodoka shook her head.
"Meditation and relaxation are ways to gain self control, dear
husband."
Ken smiled.
"I would like to take you up on that offer, Mrs. Saotome, but I
would like to check my new work schedule before I commit. I wouldn't want
to cause any new inconveniences for you or the Tendos."
Nodoka nodded.
"I did not know you recently were hired," Soun stated. "Where do
you work now?"
"At Ucchan's. She was kind enough to give me a job there. It
pays well, and perhaps I can use the money to pay you back for your
troubles."
Sound laughed again and waved his hand.
"No need to do that. It's fine that you stay with us. We're
quite used to guests."
Genma colored slightly, but Ken didn't notice.
"Well then, I'll see if Kasumi needs help cleaning up. Is there
anything I can do for you later this evening?"
Sound shook his head, as did Genma. Nodoka looked at Ken and
smiled.
"No, we should be fine here. Thank you for offering," she said
with a smile.
Ken got up, waved and headed to the kitchen.

"So what do you think?"
"I can't believe it! You have the greatest luck, Nabiki!"
A young girl in a school uniform sat at her desk looking at a
snapshot with wide eyes and a smile.
"Why do you always have the cute people staying with you? First
that Ranma fellow, and now him," the girl said, pointing at the picture.
"Well, if you buy a ticket for fifty yen, you can enter the raffle
for a date!" Nabiki replied with a smile.
"What's he like?" the girl asked.
"He's the sweetest guy, he's cute as you can see, he's strong, and
he's the very image of a gentleman," Nabiki counted on her fingers as she
spoke. "He's a very clever boy, and he's easy to wrap around your finger
too. Did I mention he beat Ranma in a fight?"
Girls started crowding around Nabiki.
"Who beat Ranma?"
"You're kidding!"
"What beat Ranma in a fight?"
"Was it fair?"
Nabiki waved her hands.
"Please! Some space, please! The teacher will be in here any
minute and I need some space to talk," she said irritably. People backed
away a step instantly.
"Well, this fellow here is named Ken. He beat Ranma, even though
he was seriously hurt and bleeding from every pore on his body," Nabiki
said with a smile. A little white lie won't hurt anybody, she thought.
Many of the girls gasped.
"I'd say this guy's one of the finest examples of the male
species, ladies. He's absolutely beautiful. I even got to run into him
in the bathroom," she said with a grin. Several of the girls began waving
bills.
"Do you have pictures?" one asked.
"Moi? Pictures?" Nabiki said in mock surprise.
"A thousand yen for one!" someone cried. Nabiki instantly pulled
out a photo. It got snatched from her hands, but she didn't mind. There
were copies of that to go around. Some of the girls ooh'ed and aah'ed as
they passed the picture around. Nabiki smiled. People were tossing bills
at her for photos. Nabiki supplied them with a big grin on her face.
"So who wants to buy raffle tickets for a date?" she asked.
"Nabiki? What's going on?"
Nabiki whirled around.
"Aren't you supposed to be in class Ukyou?" Nabiki asked.
"I'm on my way there, but someone told me there's a raffle for a
date with a really cute guy."
"What about Ranma?" Nabiki replied.
"I thought it was Ranma," Ukyou said with a grin.
"Too bad. It's not," Nabiki said nonchalantly.
"Oh well, then," Ukyou said over her shoulder.
"It's not Ranma, but this guys looks just as good!" cried a girl
as she shoved a snapshot into Ukyou's hands. Nabiki's eyes went wide and
she ducked into a seat.
"It's Ken?" Ukyou asked incredulously.
"Ukyou? Class is starting!" Nabiki said urgently and pointed as a
bell rang. Ukyou shot her a suspicious look and ran to her classroom.
Nabiki sighed. Lunch wasn't going to turn out the way she planned.
When the appointed time rolled around, Nabiki leaned out the
window looking out into the street. Several girls were waiting and
watching with her. All of them seemed intent on finding something. All
of them seemed to ignore their own lunches in lieu of a bigger reward.
"Is that him?" someone whispered to Nabiki.
Nabiki turned her attention to the figure walking down the street.
Whoever it was, they were wearing the baggy Chinese style pants
characteristic of Ranma's wardrobe. To compliment it, the person was
wearing a black muscle shirt to match the color of the pants. A loose
white collared shirt was worn over it, and unbuttoned. The open shirt
fluttered gently in the breeze behind the person. She smiled. Right on
time, and wearing the prescribed clothes no less. Nabiki turned to the
girls gathered around her. They looked at her with baited breath.
"That's him," she said with a grin and a wink. "Perhaps he'll
come to meet us?"
"Can you get him up here?" one asked.
"Of course," Nabiki replied. She turned to lean out the window
and waited for Ken to walk within earshot.
"Ken! Up here!" she called out.
Ken stopped and looked up at Nabiki. She was leaning out a window waving
her hands. The trademark grin was on her face and a group of girls was
waiting around her. He shook his head. This wasn't what he was
expecting, but it was a lot better than what he thought would happen.
After all, she wasn't about to make him strip in front of her class, or
was she?
"Ken! Come up here!" Nabiki shouted.
Ken looked up. Nabiki was motioning with her hands. He looked at
where the class was, and tried to gauge where it would be with respect to
the entrance of the school. As he made his way into the school, a small
crowd of girls ran into him.
"Are you the new guy?" one asked.
"Are you living with the Tendos?" asked another.
"Are you single?" yet another asked.
"Are you into fighting?" fired another.
Ken frowned slightly and tried to make his way through the crowd
and up the stairs to where he thought Nabiki would be. This was going to
be a completely new experience for him. Ken shook his head. It was going
to be a long day.

Ranma looked up from his seat, where he was contentedly munching
his lunch. Normally, Nabiki would be in his class right now, making
appointments for the next "photo session." Since the arrival of Ken,
Nabiki seemed to be preoccupied with making money from him. Apparently,
the novelty of his new friend had granted him a reprieve from Nabiki's
financial wrath. Ranma smiled at the thought. As he looked about the
classroom, he noticed some of the girls running out of the classroom and
down the hall. He furrowed his brow.
"Ranma, what's going on?"
Ranma turned to Akane, who had walked up to his desk.
"I dunno," he replied. "Looks like just the girls are leaving."
Ranma looked over to his friend Hiroshi.
"Hey, buddy. What'd the fuss?"
Hiroshi looked up from his lunch and then to the exiting crowd of
girls Ranma was waving at.
"Didn't you know? There's a new guy in town, and rumor has it
that Nabiki's selling tickets for a chance at a date with him. I hear
he's a real stud. I also heard that he beat you in a fight. I'm guessing
it's just a rumor though," Hiroshi replied as he went back to his lunch.
Ranma and Akane grimaced simultaneously. Ranma noticed Ukyou
getting up to leave.
"Hey, Ucchan!" he shouted. Ukyou turned around with a questioning
look.
"What are you rushing off to?" Ranma asked.
"I have to get to work and rescue my new waiter! Can you believe
Nabiki's selling him like a side of beef?" she said and dashed off after
the crowd of girls.
"I knew I should have kept an eye out for Nabiki," Ranma said with
a sigh.
Akane smiled and nodded her head.
"I wonder how Ken's going to take this?" she said as she got up
from her seat.
"We better go check on him to make sure he's okay. Maybe Ukyou's
overreacting a little," Ranma said as he got up as well.

Ken was confused. First the photo session from Nabiki, and now a
crowd of girls waving pictures of him around. Things were not developing
the way he would have liked them to. Then there was Nabiki. There she
stood in the middle of it all with a smile on her face and a big jar with
slips in it. She was shaking it as a smaller group of girls doled out
blank slips in exchange for cash. Ken felt like a piece of cheap
merchandise, as he sat dejectedly on a large table Nabiki had moved over.
"Nabiki, why are you doing this? If you want the money, I'll give
you the money tonight. I really don't like going through this kind of-
of- treatment," he stammered.
Nabiki looked at him with an incredulous look.
"Didn't you read the contract you signed?"
"No."
"This was part of the contract. Failure to cooperate will lead to
higher interest rates."
"All I wanted were some clothes to wear. Isn't there a charitable
bone in your body?"
Nabiki paused and looked thoughtful.
"Nope. Would you rather I take all of your clothes back? You can
go after that."
Talk stopped and all eyes went from Ken to Nabiki rapidly. Ken
felt his face color instantly.
"No," he replied in a defeated voice.
"All right girls, here's the guy I was talking about. He's single
and ready for dating. It'd be a shame if one of you decided to ignore
this very valuable opportunity," she shouted to the crowd in front of her.
Ken noticed the scornful and spiteful looks he was getting from
the male population in the room. He felt uncomfortable and very out of
place. There definitely was a strong urge to make a dash for the window
and make a run for it, regardless of the fiscal repercussions.
"Nabiki! What do you think you're doing!"
Ken turned at the familiar voice to see Ukyou storming the room
after a crowd of younger girls.
"Ukyou! Don't tell me you bought a ticket?!" Ken asked in a
shocked voice. Ukyou shot him a fierce expression.
"Nabiki, are you selling dates to my waiter? As his employer, I'm
going to tell you that he won't have time for this moral outrage," she
said tightly.
Nabiki smiled.
"It's part of his contract."
"How much does he owe you?" Ukyou asked.
"Well, he borrowed ten thousand yen, but now he owes me close to
thirteen and a half."
Ukyou reached into her pocket and slammed a wad of bills onto a
nearby desk. Nabiki raised an eyebrow.
"Here's fifteen," Ukyou said flatly.
"I can't take it," Nabiki replied casually. "I already sold
tickets to all of these nice young ladies here. I can tell you they would
definitely like to play the lottery for a date with this guy." Several
members of the crowd nodded their heads in assent. Ken paled slightly.
"Too bad. Take the money and forget the raffle, or don't take the
money and forget the raffle. Either way, he's coming with me."
"A little protective of him, aren't we?" Nabiki asked with a
smirk.
Ukyou blushed slightly.
"He's my waiter. I need him to work, or the restaurant gets
bogged down."
"Are you dating him, Ukyou?" asked one of the girls.
"No! He's my waiter! I need him to work!" Ukyou said
defensively.
"I think you want him for yourself," replied another girl.
"Isn't it enough that you chase after Ranma?" asked another.
Ukyou looked flustered. Ken could tell she didn't want to answer
the obviously baited question. He looked around at the crowd of girls and
noticed that they had stopped filing into the room and that the door to
the classroom was wide open. Conveniently, Ukyou was standing right
outside of the doorway.
"Is that a fight outside?" he suddenly asked as he craned his neck
to look outside. "Isn't that Ranma?" he continued. The flock of girls
instantly ran to the window, as did Nabiki, still clutching the large jar.
Ukyou was about to run to the window when she saw Ken roll backwards, grab
the wad of yen notes and flip to the end of the table. She let out a yelp
as he grabbed her and bolted out the door, kicking the doorstop as he
went. The door slammed behind them. Ken could hear a number of voices
running to the door shouting at them. The one he could hear the most
distinctly was Nabiki's. Fortunately, they were sprinting down the stairs
and out the door by the time he heard a door and a cascade of footsteps.
"What do you think you're doing?!" Ukyou shouted as Ken dragged
her out the gates of the school and through alleys. She could hear a
crowd of people behind them and they didn't sound very happy.
"Are you as acrobatic as I think you are?"
"What kind of question is that?" she demanded.
"People as nicely built as you don't get that way by watching TV
all day."
"What?!"
"Are you acrobatic or not?" he asked over his shoulder again.
"More than most," she shouted to him.
"Then let's get to higher ground," he called over his shoulder.
Ukyou was about to say something, but saw him jump onto a fence
and onto the nearby roof. She followed as he jumped from rooftop to
rooftop. Just like Ranma, she thought. When she saw they were halfway
from the school to her restaurant, she stopped him.
"Hey, they're gone. They do have to get back to class you know,"
she said.
"Good. I didn't know how far they'd chase us. I just assumed
they would since they do have to get back to school. Lucky you've got an
excuse," he said.
They both paused as they waited for their breathing to calm down.
Ukyou shot him a grin.
"Nice idea, but a little over the top, don't you think?"
"You wanted to get out of there, didn't you?"
"Well, yeah, but-"
"Well, we're out," Ken said with a grin. Ukyou smiled. Ken had a
point.
"Well, I think we can head over to the restaurant now."
"I know, you don't pay me to dawdle," Ken said.
"That's right, Sugar. I don't," she said with a smirk.
They both jumped down from the roof of the house they stood on.
Ken handed her the wad of cash, and they made their way to Ucchan's.
Ukyou looked over at Ken as they walked down the street. He had a smile
as he looked around at the scene suburban scene around him.
"What are you smiling about?" she asked.
"I'm just thinking about what I just said to you. From what Ranma
tells me, if I'd said something like that to Akane, I'd be pulverized
now."
Ukyou's mind raced as she registered what Ken told her. She
though back to the previous exchange.
"People as nicely built as you", he'd said. She didn't notice at
the time, but now that she thought about it, Ranma was right. She
blushed. Ken looked over to her and quickly apologized.
"I'm really sorry if I've offended you. It was completely
uncalled for."
Ukyou smiled sheepishly.
"It's alright, Ken. I'm actually quite flattered."
Ken looked relieved and went back to looking around at the scenery
again. He let out a small laugh.
"Something on your mind again?" Ukyou asked.
"I'm just imagining what Nabiki's going to say to me when I get
back," he said. "I don't think it'll be safe for me to live with the
Tendos after the stunt I just pulled. Nabiki's going to start charging me
a serious room and board fee, I'll bet."
Ukyou laughed.
"I don't think that'll be too big an issue, Ken. Are you staying
as a guest now?"
"Yeah. I feel pretty guilty about staying there and not paying
them for all their trouble."
"Where are you staying?"
"In the dojo. I think it's a notable inconvenience for them."
Ukyou's mind raced.
"I've got a spare room if you need one."
Ken looked surprised.
"It's the room Konatsu was using before he decided to leave," she
explained.
"How much are you charging?"
Ukyou colored slightly.
"Well, since you're working for me, I can give you the same deal I
gave Konatsu. Free room and board, but I don't pay you much as a salary
for work."
Ken grinned.
"That's a great deal. I'd have to be fairly stupid to pass that
one up."
"Really?" Ukyou asked.
"Certainly. Most guys I know would think I was an idiot if I
passed up the chance to live with a beautiful lady like yourself."
Ukyou felt her face color and she looked away quickly to calm
herself down.
"Well, hands off then, Sugar. I'm already taken," she said with a
grin as she turned back to him.
"I know. You're engaged to Ranma," he replied. Ukyou thought she
saw a sad expression in his eyes, but pushed it from her mind.
When they reached the restaurant, a small line was forming at the
door. Ukyou apologized and quickly opened the restaurant. With Ken's
help, they quickly got things under way and helped serve the people
pouring in for lunch. The entire time, Ukyou thought she noticed a
slightly sad expression on Ken's face as he waited on people and brought
supplies for her at the counter. She ignored it. Must have had a rough
night, she decided.
When the lunch rush had finished, Ken went in back to start on the
dishes. Ukyou followed behind him.
"What's on your mind?" she asked.
"Nothing. Just thinking about finding a place to stay so I'm not
freeloading off the Tendos. That and trying to figure out how to pay them
back."
Liar, she said in her head. "I see," came out of her mouth.
Years of talking to Ranma had given her a good feel for people's emotions.
"So what are you going to do about it?"
"Well, you did offer the spare room you have. It's the best -
well the only offer I have so far. Since I'm working here at the
restaurant, I guess it makes sense that I take it."
Ukyou felt slightly giddy. She couldn't quite place the feeling
or why. As quickly as it came, Ukyou pushed it away.
"So are you going to move everything out tonight?"
"Well, I guess I should. It's pretty abrupt, for you and the
Tendos; but I think it would be a better arrangement than being a
freeloader. I think three days of being a guest there is enough."
Ukyou nodded.
"So what about Nabiki?" she asked with a grin. She heard Ken give
a low chuckle.
"If she gets the raw deal, then that's her problem, not mine. At
least she won't have any direct way of squeezing money from me."
"Are you going to pay back the loan then?"
"Of course, just not immediately. I don't have the money yet. On
the other hand, I will have a talk with her about this raffled date
thing."
Ukyou smiled and walked back to clean the grill.
"Good idea. If you need help moving stuff tonight, just let me
know," she called over her shoulder.
Ken sighed. Out of the frying pan and into the fire, he thought.

As dinner time rolled around, Ken thought he saw more and more
recognizable people coming in. Most were girls from Furinkan High School.
The others were the boys that were giving him the evil eye. He walked
around and took orders and waited on people as usual, trying to ignore
them as best he could. It was fairly disturbing having a great deal of
the girls looking at him with starry eyes, and the male population staring
at him with fire in their eyes. He looked around and walked over to the
grill with the stack of orders from the various tables. Ukyou looked up
from the number of okonomiyaki she was cooking.
"Lots more?"
"No, not really. Most were interested in a few glasses of
something to drink. A few wanted the okonomiyaki."
Ukyou laughed.
"It's not really helping that you're dressed in that muscle shirt,
like Ranma."
"Yeah, I guess so," Ken replied sheepishly.
He set down the stack of orders, splaying out the okonomiyaki
orders and then walking around to pour drinks for people. After filling a
tray with glasses water, juice and soda, Ken walked about the tables,
giving people their ordered drinks. He gave an occasionally "you're
welcome" and a smile whenever anyone said thank you. Not many of the men
in the room did. Quite a few of the women there did.
He walked up to the counter as Ukyou threw out more of the batter
and finished up the few okonomiyaki she had started earlier. Ken took the
finished okonomiyaki and dished them to the people who had ordered them.
When he returned, he walked around behind the grill and leaned on the part
of the counter that wasn't part of the grill.
"Ukyou, may I ask you a question?"
"Sure thing," she replied as she threw toppings on some of the
okonomiyaki.
"Well, you've told me your life's story more or less, but you
never really talked about Ranma."
"What do you mean?" she said as she turned to look at him.
"Well, you're engaged to him, right?"
"Yes. I've been engaged to him the longest of anyone that claims
to be his fiance."
"What's it like?"
Ukyou laughed.
"What do you mean?" she asked.
"You love him a lot, don't you?"
"Of course."
"Well, how did you know?"
"I didn't have to know, it just something that was," she replied.
"So why aren't you already married to him?"
"Because he's also engaged to Akane, and he beat Shampoo in a fair
fight. Hey, now that you mentioned it, didn't you beat her in a fair
fight?"
"Shampoo? Yes, I beat her in a fair fight, but I don't think that
qualifies me as her future husband. Didn't Ranma beat her first?"
Ukyou nodded.
"Yup. Shampoo lost to Ranma first. In both of his forms, too."
" I guess that makes him the one for Shampoo. Besides, I've
never been engaged before. I really don't think I ever will."
"Well, this is my first time," Ukyou said with a laugh.
"I mean, voluntarily. I've never asked anyone to marry me."
Ukyou raised an eyebrow.
"Where is this leading?" she asked with a chuckle.
"Nowhere I guess. I just think it's odd being engaged without it
being very voluntary. You got engaged because your father said so.
Doesn't that make you feel odd?"
"No. I love Ranma. That's all that really matters. If you love
someone enough, then nothing should really matter too much. Haven't you
ever felt that way?"
Ken sighed and shook his head.
"No."
"Well, I'm sure you'll find someone, someday."
Ken looked at her skeptically.
"I'm not the type of guy people would fall in love with."
Ukyou pointed to the young ladies in at the tables staring at him.
"What about them?"
"If they knew about me, do you think they'd feel the same way?
That I killed people with my bare hands? That I used to like it? That
I'm completely dishonored as a member of society?"
Ukyou deftly flipped the okonomiyaki and bore a serious look at
Ken.
"First, " she said, "you were trained to kill, and that was that.
It happened a long time ago and it's over now. You're a very different
person now. As for being a dishonored person of society, that doesn't
apply here. Nobody knows, or really cares for that matter."
"All that matters is love and friendship," Ken muttered blandly.
"It's just like I told you before, Sugar."
Ken sighed.
"I wish it was that simple."
Ukyou clucked her tongue.
"C'mon. You must have been in love with someone before. Wasn't
there a special lady that you just felt comfortable around, that you felt
like everything was right when you were with her?"
Ken gave Ukyou an arched look.
"Was there a girl you could tell anything," she continued, "and it
didn't really matter to her? There must have been one."
Ken shook his head.
"Not one that you were absolutely attached to? Nobody you were willing to
give your life for?"
"There was once, but I'd rather not talk about it. It wasn't a very
pleasant experience," Ken said with a pained expression on his face.
"Used you and left, Sugar?"
Ken nodded sadly.
"Did you love her?"
"I don't know what love is," Ken said flatly. "It's not like you
and Ranma. I know you love him a great deal. I'm sure he knows that too.
I'm even willing to bet that he loves you too. I never had that kind of
feeling. I thought I cared about someone, more than I cared about myself.
Then I find out I was just a toy she was playing with. I was a fool," he
said quietly.
"For love, at least," Ukyou corrected.
"Was it truly loving someone? I acted blindly and I will forever
live to regret it. Sometimes I think it's something I never want again."
"Love? Then what about friends?"
"That's different."
"Really, how different?" she asked.
"I don't know."
"I think I know how it's different."
"How?"
Ukyou smiled.
"You have to find that one out for yourself, Sugar," She flipped
several okonomiyaki onto some plates and pushed them aside. "Two specials
and three regulars. Better serve them up before they get cold."
Ken smiled appreciatively at Ukyou for the distraction. She
smiled back. There was definitely something sad in his eyes. Ukyou
wished she could make it go away for him. It hurt seeing him in pain.
She thought she could almost feel the hole in his heart. But that's for
him to fix, she thought. She didn't think she'd chide herself later for
thinking so.

"Ken-chan! You took off before I could sell those tickets."
Ken turned around from wiping up a table. Several of the male
customers had left, but many of the female patrons had remained. All were
of the high school persuasion. Ken didn't feel uncomfortable anymore.
Now he felt like a hunted animal; and now with Nabiki finding him, there
wasn't going to be an end to the feeling.
"I had to go to work," he said quietly.
"Remember the contract. As long as you can't pay off the debt,
you have to go through with this," she said with a predatory smile.
"Fine. Get it over with. Just remember that this is the last
time this sort of thing happens. After this so-called date finishes, your
fun stops."
"Is something wrong?"
"Yes. This arrangement. I wasn't aware of this part of the
contract."
"You didn't read it that well, I guess."
"I didn't think I was going to be exploited like this," he said
flatly.
"It's part of the deal."
"Yes, and I will honor it so far as to get it finished and over
with. After that, it stops. I will not be used like some cheap piece of
merchandise. Don't you have any respect for the people that ask for
favors?"
"If they have to ask, then I should get something out of it as
well."
"What happened to charity?" Ken asked as he moved to a new table.
"I don't give freebies," Nabiki replied flatly.
"I see," Ken replied monotonously. "Then get this over with. I'm
getting tired of this farce."
Nabiki smiled and shook the jar she brought in. The crowd of
girls instantly gathered around her. Ken shook his head and sighed. He
looked over to Ukyou, but she only shrugged. It was frustrating for him,
and he didn't know what to do.
"Well, it looks like we have a winner!" Nabiki called as she
pulled a slip from the jar. Ukyou looked up from the grill and Ken looked
up from wiping down a table. All the girls looking up at Nabiki held
their collective breath.
"The lucky girl is-" Nabiki paused for dramatic effect as she
surveyed the sea of eager eyes in front of her. "Akane?!"
Ken spun around to look at Nabiki. Ukyou looked at Nabiki with a
shocked face. Nabiki looked out towards the door at an extremely angry
Akane and Ranma in the doorway.
"Nabiki! How could you?" Akane asked sternly as she walked over
to her sister. Nabiki noticed she had a photograph in her right hand.
Nabiki colored slightly and smiled nervously. "I didn't think you could
stoop this low! I can't believe you'd take this kind of photo," Akane
turned to Ken with an apologetic look on her face. "I'm really sorry,
Ken. I didn't know she'd do something like this."
Ken strode over to Akane, taking the photo from her hand. He
looked at the photo, and then to Nabiki with a look of complete contempt.
One of the girls snatched the photo from Ken hands before he could
protest. It got passed around, although each of the girls that had it was
reluctant to give it up.
"N-N-Nabiki-" Ken stammered. Ranma could tell Ken was fuming; so
angry that he was choking on his own rage. Akane could see Ken's right
hand slowly curl into a ball as it twitched and convulsed.
"How could you do this?" Ken hissed. "Were you planning on adding
it you a personal collection, or were you going to sell copies of this to
more women?"
Nabiki looked crestfallen.
"I think this excuse for a dating service has just ended," Ken
whispered fiercely. He turned to go back and wash the dishes when he felt
a hand settle on his right shoulder. He quickly turned and swatted it
away with his right hand. It was one of the girls that had bought a
raffle. She looked rather shocked. Ken could care less.
"Don't touch me!" he snapped. "I am not some cheap toy to be
played with!" he roared. Ranma thought he saw a familiar violent glow
begin in Ken's eyes. He quickly strode over to where Ken was and started
pushing him towards the back of the restaurant. He needed to get Ken away
from Nabiki. Akane and Ukyou simply glared at Nabiki who cast the evil
eye at Akane and slipped out the door.
"I'll give everyone's money back tomorrow," she spat over her
shoulder.
Ukyou looked about the restaurant. People looked shocked. The
girl who had reached out to Ken was quietly crying. Ken may have
overreacted, but Ukyou felt it was somewhat justified. Akane walked over
to Ukyou.
"I'm sorry about this. I guess I should have thought before I
stormed over, but it made me so angry that Nabiki would do this."
"What was that a picture of?"
"Well, it was a rather embarrassing picture of Ken in his... well,
in his boxers practicing in the dojo," Akane said quietly.
Ukyou colored slightly and laughed nervously.
"You have to be kidding."
Akane looked over to the group of girls, walked over and snatched
the picture away from a starry eyed girl she recognized from another
class. She walked back to Ukyou and tossed the picture on the counter.
Ukyou looked at it and blushed.
"Guess that gives a new meaning to candid camera."

Ranma was looking at Ken with complete sympathy. It was as if he
was looking at how he felt the first time this had happened. He wondered
how he had become so accustomed to the treatment.
"I can't believe it! What kind of twisted sick mind would do
that?!" Ken spat.
"Well, I'd say it's just Nabiki, but I'm even surprised by it."
"I need to kill something. I need to get this out of my system."
"Whoa, hey! Take it easy!"
"Take it easy! How can I take it easy after that?!" Ken yelled.
"Look, it ain't something new to me, ya know! I've had to go
through that for a long time now! Longer than I want to remember. You
aren't the only one she's used like that."
"Pictures of you like that?"
"Well, nothing that had me doing katas, but I've had a lot of
pictures of me, both ways. Don't tell me you're the one suffering from
all of this."
Ken exhaled slowly and closed his eyes. He could feel the rage
building up and hitting a critical level. If he lost it, there was the
risk of the Ethereals taking over. He needed control.
"Ken? Are you going to be okay?" he heard Akane ask.
Ken opened his eyes to see Ukyou and Akane entering the back room.
"If you need to take the rest of the day off, that's fine. I can
take of the rest of the day," Ukyou offered.
Ken rubbed his temples and tried to clear his mind.
"I think I'll be fine. I just want to get away from Nabiki right
now. Maybe I'll take an hour to move my stuff from the dojo. Ranma and
Akane looked shocked.
"You're leaving?" Ranma asked.
"I gave him Konatsu's old room," Ukyou replied.
"Aren't you working a little fast?" Akane asked Ken jokingly. He
appreciated the chance to lighten the mood.
"Hey! I'm still Ran-chan's cute fiance, if you haven't
forgotten!" Ukyou shot at Akane.
"Wait a minute you two. I've had enough for one day. Let's just
get my things and forget about why who's going where. I just want to feel
as distanced from Nabiki as possible," Ken said. Akane glared at Ukyou,
then grabbed Ranma's hand and dragged him out the door.
"You really didn't need to say that, Ukyou."
Ukyou raised an eyebrow.
"You jealous?" she teased.
"No. Of course not," he stammered. Ukyou laughed as she went
back out to the grill. Maybe I am, he thought to himself as he watched
her go. He couldn't explain the sudden loss he felt any other way.
When the three of them reached the dojo, there wasn't any sign of
Nabiki; but the instant Ranma and Ken disappeared into the dojo, Akane
felt a hand roughly drag her through the house and into the kitchen.
"How could you do that?!" Nabiki hissed.
Akane glared at her sister.
"I didn't want to see you use Ken like you've been using Ranma. I
also want you to know that I don't like the way you're using Ranma,
either," Akane shot back.
"And just where did you get that picture?" Nabiki asked
suspiciously.
"I got it from your room."
"And who said you could go in there? How would you like it if I
went through your things?" Nabiki asked icily.
"I went in your room because Ranma went in there. He was really
upset that you'd treat Ken like some piece of meat, according to him.
When he found the picture he got really upset. I got really upset when I
saw the picture. How could you do something like that?" Akane asked
incredulously.
Nabiki looked to the ground, at a loss for words.
"You were going to sell them, weren't you?"
"No," Nabiki replied sullenly.
Akane was surprised.
"No? Why not?"
Nabiki blushed fiercely, and mumbled a reply.
"I can't hear you Nabiki," Akane said.
"I said I was going to keep it."
Akane looked at her sister in disbelief.
"You were going to keep it? For what? Wait, I don't want to
know," Akane said as she started to walk away.
"Akane, you've always got boys chasing after you. You don't know
what it's like," Nabiki whispered.
"You like him, don't you?" Akane asked.
Nabiki nodded her head.
"You're not getting anywhere by doing this. I don't think using
him to make money is going to get you on his good side either, Nabiki."
"It's what I do best," Nabiki replied coldly.
"Yes, it is," Akane said as she walked away.
Nabiki watched her go and thought she felt a tear run down her cheek. She
absentmindedly wiped her cheek and walked over to the doors to the yard.
Nabiki cautiously peeked outside to see Ken and Ranma talking in good
humor and laughing as they walked out of the dojo. Ken had two bags in
his hands. It looked like he was moving some things from the dojo.
Suddenly Ken turned to look straight at her. Nabiki stood frozen as his
eyes went from warm and cheerful to completely cold.
"Let's get the hell out of here, Ranma," He spat, turning to take
a running jump over the wall around the yard. Ranma looked over to Nabiki
with a frown before following.

* * * * * * * * * *
Ethan Tsai
1 N. College Street
Northfield, MN 55057

TS...@Gridley.ACNS.Carleton.edu
http://public.carleton.edu/~tsaie/ethan.html

Quote of the day:
"You'd win if you stopped hitting my foot with your head."
-The Amazing Spider-man

Chapter Six

"So why did you offer a room to Ken?"
Ukyou raised an eyebrow at Akane.
"What do you mean?" she replied.
"Oh, c'mon! Don't tell me you don't like Ken!" Akane smiled.
Ukyou colored slightly. She went back to the okonomiyaki she was
working on. Akane toyed with a napkin as she sat across from Ukyou at the
counter. The minute she saw Ukyou blush, she pounced like a cat.
"Aha!"
"Ken's just a friend! Don't tell me you like Ken?" Ukyou asked
insinuatingly.
"Hey! I'm not the one looking at Ken that way."
"What are you talking about?" Ukyou asked with a nervous laugh.
Akane smiled knowingly.
"Ukyou," she said, suddenly serious, "This is Ken we're talking
about. I get the feeling that you guys have been talking and getting to
know each other. Ken's said a lot to Ranma, and they're really close
friends now. It's almost like they're brothers. With you, it seems a
little different."
"You're trying to set me up, aren't you?" Ukyou asked with a
smirk.
"Look," Akane said, "I know you're one of Ranma's fiances. I know
you care about Ranma. I-I- I care about Ranma too. A lot."
Ukyou was surprised.
"You love Ranma a lot, don't you?" she asked.
Akane nodded gravely.
"Yes, I-I love Ranma a lot. It took a while to admit it, but I
feel really relieved now that I can tell people. I haven't told Ranma
yet," she said with a sheepish smile, "but I'm sure I'll get there
eventually. It's just nice going through a more friendly phase first.
It's a lot like you and Ken right now."
"What are you talking about? I am not in love with Ken!" Ukyou
almost shouted.
"Excuse me, Ranma and I were going to go out for a bit. I'll be
back in five minutes."
Ukyou turned quickly to see Ken looking at her from the door to
the back. She colored slightly before smiling and waving.
"Go on ahead. Don't take too long, though. We still have to get
ready for the dinner rush."
Ken withdrew into the back room. Ukyou could hear the back door
open and close.
"Not in love?" Akane asked. "Then why were you embarrassed when
Ken heard you?"
"Wouldn't you?"
"Not if I didn't have anything to hide. Did you see the way he
looked at you? It was like you slapped him."
Ukyou sighed.
"It's not like that. You don't how what he's like. He really
went through something terrible, and he really doesn't trust women that
much."
"He seems to trust you a lot."
Ukyou shook her head.
"It's different. It's very different."
"I don't see how."
Ukyou looked at Akane with a flat expression.
"Since when did you become so insight in the ways of love? You're
the one that used to beat Ran-chan senseless."
Akane smirked.
"Since I finally realized how much he means to me. Look, Ukyou,
it's not a bad thing to like Ken more than as a friend. I think he needs
someone like you. Don't you?"
Ukyou shook her head again.
"How can you expect me to simply abandon Ran-chan? I've been in
love with Ran-chan for a long time. You think that doesn't mean
anything?"
"Ukyou," Akane said quietly, "I've seen how you and Ken get along
together. It's just like I'm seeing you and Ranma together. The
difference is that where Ken needs something, you look like you need it
too. It's the same way Ranma and I both seem to not to want to be
together, but want to be together more than anything."
Ukyou looked at Akane with a shocked expression in her face.
"Akane, what are you saying?" she asked quietly.
"Ukyou, please listen. I don't mean to insult you in any way. I
see Ken look at you and he has that expression on his face, in his eyes.
I think he's in love with you, but doesn't know that he is. He likes you
a lot, Ukyou. He really does. Aren't you going to do something about
it?"
"It's just like Konatsu and Tsubasa! Why do I always get the freaks!"
Ukyou spat.
"Ukyou, do you really think Ken's a freak?"
Ukyou closed her eyes tightly.
"Ukyou?"
"No," she finally managed through clenched teeth. "I don't think
he's a freak."
"Don't you think it's a little strange that you got him to buy
clothes that looked just like Ranma's?"
Ukyou looked at Akane sadly.
"I'm losing it aren't I?" she asked sadly. She reached under the
counter and pulled out a box of Kleenex. She hastily brought one out and
blew her nose quietly.
"No, you're not losing it; although I'm amazed you picked up on
him in less than three days," Akane replied with a roguish grin.
"You mean he picked up on me," Ukyou said with a smile.
"So, you do like him?"
"I guess so. I don't know. Whenever I'm with him, it's just like
I'm with Ran-chan, but a little different. He's always so sad, but then
he brightens up so much when we're together. It's so nice to hear him
talk and laugh like we've known each other for ages. He's just like
Ran-chan," she said.
"He is a lot like Ranma."
"He's a better fighter, you know," Ukyou said. "Ran-chan told me
Ken beat him in a fight."
Akane smiled.
"Yeah, but I sometimes get the feeling he's not quite as good a
fighter as Ranma at the same time.
"What do you mean?"
"Do you remember how Ranma always threw himself into fights, just
to win?"
"Yeah, he always does that."
"When I saw them fighting, Ken didn't look like that. It looked
like he simply went berserk and lost it. It looked like he stopped being
Ken and turned into something else."
"Do you think it has to do with that Ethereal thing he told us
about?"
"I don't know. Why don't you ask him? I'm sure he'd be happy to
tell you all about it," Akane said with a grin.
"Hey! Stop that! I said I like Ken a lot, but I'm not completely
in love with him!" Ukyou said defensively.
Akane giggled.
"It doesn't mean he's not any less receptive to you," she said.
Ukyou grinned.
"I guess you're right."
Ukyou sighed. It felt a lot better now that she figured out how
she felt about him. Akane's voice broke her out of her reverie.
"Ukyou? The okonomiyaki's burning."

"So you like Ukyou a lot?"
Ken hefted a bag of trash and threw it into a dumpster in
frustration. Ranma tossed a rock in after it from his perch on the alley
wall.
"Yeah, but I guess she doesn't like me that much," he replied
sadly.
"I heard," Ranma said quietly. "I'm really sorry, man. I know
you liked her from day one."
"I don't know, Ranma. I don't really know what love is. I really
think I don't. You and Ukyou have something together that I see, and wish
I had. Then there's Akane" Ken trailed.
"Whoa! Hey! I'm not some kind of Casanova. I'm just Ranma, got
it?" he said defensively.
Ken smirked.
"That's not what I'm talking about, Romeo. All I'm saying is that
whenever you're with Ukyou, you two get along really well together."
"So do you!" Ranma interrupted.
"But it's different. I have to wear stuff to look like you to get
along with her. You think she got me to buy these clothes because I look
good in them?"
"A lot of girls think so. Even Nabiki seems a little gooey when
she's around you."
"I'd rather not talk about Nabiki."
"Hey, I'm sorry about that."
"Not as sorry as I am. I can't believe I fell for that deal."
"Hey, forget about it. Happens to the best of us.
"So what are you going to do about Ukyou?" he asked.
Ken looked thoughtful for a moment.
"Just work as usual. I guess I'd like to be her friend more than
anything. We get along well, and it's filling in something I lost a long
time ago. I don't know what, but I feel a lot better with Ukyou."
"You know, I feel the same way sometimes. Well, not really
exactly the same, but Ukyou's been my best friend for a long time.
Sometimes I think I've really got something for her, but then sometimes I
don't. I like her a lot, and I can tick off all the reasons why; but it's
different with Akane."
"So that's why you two are still together?"
"Yeah," Ranma said sheepishly.
"I wish I knew what it felt like. I'd tell you to go with it, but
I don't have any experience in these things."
"So pretend."
Ken smiled.
"Ranma, you and Akane have a kind of magic together I've never
seen before. It's absolutely inexplicable. I'm jealous. I wish I knew
something like that. It's something really special and if I were you, I'd
never let it go."
Ranma blinked.
"Nice touch. You're really good at that pretending bit," Ranma
said with a laugh.
Ken looked down at the ground as he leaned against a wall and
kicked a rock.
"Who says I was pretending?"
Ranma jumped down from his perch.
"Hey, quit it. You're making me depressed. Let's go get
something to eat."
"I can't," Ken said apologetically. "I have to go back to work."
"You know," Ranma said, "since you don't have anyone tailing you,
like me, why don't you just say it right out?"
"That I'm in love with her?"
"Yeah. That you're nuts for her."
"Am I in love with Ukyou?" Ken asked.
"I think so. Do you get that kind of warm feeling when you're
with her? If you do, and it just gets stronger every time you hang out
with her, then it is."
Ken looked skeptical.
"You sure about that? How do I know it's not just wanting to be
friends?"
"Do you feel like, uh, you know"
"What?"
"You know, getting kinda close and, er.."
"Personal?" Ken finished.
"Yeah. Personal," Ranma said sheepishly.
"Sort of. It's hard to explain."
"More like you can't explain it."
"Yeah," Ken said quietly.
"You know, Kasumi told me that if I could list all the reasons why
I liked everyone, but couldn't list any reason why I liked Akane, then my
choices were simple."
Ken looked at Ranma quizzically.
"Is she right?"
Ranma looked at the wall of Ucchan's.
"I think she is. After all this talk, I think I know what it
means."
"So what if I can list reasons why I like Ukyou?"
"Can you? Honestly?"
"And if I can't?"
"Then you have some thinking to do," Ranma said with a serious
voice.
Ken sighed. He wished for the simple life he had when he had
first become an Avatar. Life was good back then. Learning to fight,
visiting worlds he'd never imagined possible, and traveling with all of
his friends and family. What happened to me? he asked himself. Ukyou had
told him that it was his friends and family that counted. Where did she
fit in?
Suddenly Ranma's stomach growled loudly. It broke Ken's line of
thought. He silently thanked Ranma for the diversion.
"Let's go get you something to eat," Ken said with a laugh.
When the two of them got back into the restaurant, they saw Ukyou
cleaning the grill and Akane munching away at a free okonomiyaki. Ranma
sniffed the air dubiously.
"I don't think this smells like any of your new specials, Ucchan."
"Shut up, Ranma. I make mistakes like everyone else," she said
with a laugh.
Akane swallowed the last vestiges of her okonomiyaki.
"Looks like Ranma's in here for some food," she said. Ranma's
stomach loudly voiced its agreement as Akane and Ukyou laughed.
"I'll clean out the dishes in the sink," Ken said and pulled out a
shallow tub from below the counter. He dumped some dirty dishes and
silverware into it and casually walked back to the sink. When he had
finally left the room, Ranma turned to Ukyou.
"So what's the deal with you and Ken?" he asked with a smile.
"I was just telling Akane about it," she replied.
Ranma turned to look at Akane.
"Hey, it's on a need to know basis, Ranma," she said.
"And you don't need to know," finished Ukyou with an impish grin.
Ranma had a pleading look on his face.
"C'mon Ucchan! I'm your best buddy! You can tell me anything!
Hey, I'll tell you what Ken was saying in the back alley while he was
taking out the trash."
"Gossip will get you nowhere, Ran-chan," Ukyou replied firmly.
"You're starting to sound like Nabiki."
"It's free," Ranma said jokingly. The three of them burst out
laughing at the joke.
"C'mon Ukyou."
Ukyou shook her head.
"Akane?"
Akane shook her head.
"Would it help if I said Ken really likes you Ukyou?"
Ukyou's eyes widened and she blushed furiously.
"We don't need to bring up that subject! Would you like it if I
started prying about you and Akane?" she shot back.
Akane blushed. Ranma fidgeted with the napkins on the counter.
"I get the idea," he replied. "So is it ready yet?" he asked with
a grin as he reached out for the plate.
Ukyou snorted derisively.
"Always food," she said as she shook a small spatula at Ranma's
reaching hand. He retracted quickly and Akane laughed.
"I'm sure you can wait," she said. Ukyou shared a laugh with her.
"I'm dying here!" he complained.
"Okay, okay!" Ukyou said in mock exasperation. She flipped the
okonomiyaki on the plate and pushed it forwards. Ranma stared at it
appreciatively and was about to shove it in his mouth when the door
opened.
"Where Ken?"
Ukyou turned to see Shampoo in the doorway. Mousse stood behind
her looking concerned.
"What do you want with my waiter?" Ukyou asked sternly. "I don't
want you fighting in here. I had enough trouble getting it back on its
feet after Konatsu almost sold it."
"Shampoo is here to apologize to the new guest of the Tendos,"
Mousse replied. Shampoo elbowed him in the stomach.
"Great grandmother say Shampoo must apologize. Chai Tse-Khan beat
Shampoo in fair fight."
"I'll say," Ranma said through a mouthful of okonomiyaki.
"Does that mean you're going to try to marry him?" Akane asked
hopefully.
"Shampoo no need marry second in line," she said as she marched up
to Ranma with a seductive smile. "Shampoo already have husband," she said
as she grabbed Ranma's arm and leaned into him with a sigh.
"If you're here to apologize, then get it over with. I don't like
loiterers," Ukyou said flatly.
"Spatula girl stay out of this!" Shampoo spat.
Ranma noticed Akane's aura growing and quickly tried to pry off
Shampoo from his arm. She was incredibly strong at times like this, he
noted.
"Hey, Ken! Get on out here! You have a visitor," he shouted.
"What is it?" Ken asked as he walked out from the back room. His
face darkened when he saw Shampoo and Mousse. He reached around the
doorframe and pulled out his sheathed sword from the other room. His
right hand descended to the hilt.
Mousse noticed and tugged on Shampoo's arm.
"Shampoo! Remember what you're here for!" he hissed.
Shampoo looked up to see Ken and slowly disengaged herself from
Ranma's arm. Ken noticed Akane was fuming and decided it was best to make
it quick.
"Are you here to challenge me again?" he asked in Chinese.
"No. I am here toapologize. My actions were uncalled for and I
humbly ask for your forgiveness," she replied quietly.
Ken frowned. This wasn't what he expected. It was nice, but
unexpected. He walked up to Shampoo and tried to look in her face as she
stared at the ground pouting.
"You're here to apologize?"
"Yes," Shampoo said quietly.
Ken reached out and lifted Shampoo's chin. He could tell she was
on the verge of crying. She swatted his hand away and stared at him with
what appeared to be contempt.
"My mother once told me that people that could apologize for their
actions and could feel remorse for their deeds were better warriors than
those that could destroy an opponent with a single blow."
Shampoo's visage softened.
"I-I'm sorry," she sniffled quietly. "I hope that I may be able
to gain your respect. You are a good man," she said as she wiped away a
tear.
Ken sighed and put a hand on her shoulder.
"You're very noble. I have the utmost respect for a beautiful
warrior such as yourself. Now please, stop crying. I really feel
horrible when nice women cry in front of me."
Shampoo laughed as she wiped her eyes. Mousse offered a
hankerchief and she blew her nose it in before shoving it back at Mousse,
who accepted it rather reluctantly.
"Thank you," Shampoo replied quietly.
"Would you like something to eat?" Ken asked brightly in Japanese.
"Ukyou's the best okonomiyaki cook in Japan, you know."
Ukyou blushed and Shampoo smiled.
"Shampoo not hungry," she replied. "Be with husband is good
enough for Shampoo," she finished and grabbed Ranma like a teddy bear.
Ken noticed Akane and Ukyou's auras flaring up.
"Perhaps you and Ranma can continue with that outside?" he
suggested cautiously. Akane and Ukyou glared at him.
"You know it's really not nice to embarrass an engaged man in
front of his fiance," Ken chided. Akane and Ukyou smiled and looked over
at Shampoo who had disengaged herself from Ranma. She fawned at Ranma.
"Shampoo need to work now. Ranma take Shampoo on date later?"
Ranma looked at Akane's furious look and held up his hands defensively.
"Not today Shampoo," He replied uneasily.
"Ken come to Nekohanten for something to eat?" she asked brightly.
"Maybe later. I have to work now, and I have to visit Ranma's
mother; but perhaps I will come to visit," he replied in Chinese.
Shampoo winked at Ken.
"Surely you wouldn't want to miss out on the food from back home!
Don't you miss all the wonderful food?" she asked in Mandarin.
Ken laughed.
"Only if it's done right."
"The only person better than me is my great grandmother," she said
with a smirk.
"Then how could I refuse?" Ken replied with a laugh.
Shampoo waved and bounced out the door with Mousse in tow.
"Well, that was interesting," Ranma noted. Akane swatted the back
of his head.

When Ken got to the Saotome residence, it was fairly late at
night. Cleaning up Ucchan's took longer than usual as the female patrons
increased; but Ukyou promised to pay Nabiki the amount Ken owed her, so it
was worth working harder for her. He'd called Ranma's mother to
reschedule and apologize, but she insisted on having him visit. With a
look of slight uneasiness, Ken knocked on the front door of the Saotome's
house. The door opened wide to show Nodoka Saotome in her usual blue
print kimono. She smiled when she saw Ken before her.
"Welcome! I thought you'd never make it."
"I apologize for the lateness of my visit. I do not wish to make
an inconvenience of myself."
Nodoka tsked loudly.
"Nonsense. You most certainly are welcome here, and you are not
an inconvenience. I am quite pleased to see that a good friend of my son
has shown such good manners."
Ken smiled sheepishly and fidgeted visibly.
"Please come inside. I will show you to the garden where
everything should take place."
Nodoka led Ken through a small hallway and then to a set of
sliding doors that opened to a small yard. A neatly kept rock garden was
laid before Ken's view. It was impressive to say the least. The
judicious use of a few bonsai and variation of the smaller and larger
rocks instilled a sense of order and calm throughout the area. Ken walked
to the edge of the door and stopped. Nodoka calmly walked into the
garden, taking two small mats with her. She laid them close to each other
and motioned for Ken to follow. He took the sword off his back and placed
it by the door. As he walked out to the mat near the center of the
garden, Ken took visible precaution not to disturb the rocks in place.
Nodoka laughed gently.
"Do not worry about disturbing the garden at all. The garden
itself represents a balance of order and disorder. If you disrupt the
order, then so be it."
Ken nervously kneeled on the mat next to Nodoka. He looked to
make sure he hadn't disrupted the orderly nature of the pebbles he walked
on. Nodoka looked at him evenly.
"Why do you wish to learn self-control? Is it because it is
something you wish to improve upon, or is it a chance to gain what you
lack?"
Ken looked at the ground sadly.
"My entire life, I've used my emotions to engage in combat. I've
learned to unleash all the hate and anger I feel for someone and channel
it into raw power that I can use to destroy someone. The last time it
happened, I lost myself in killing someone. I'm afraid it will happen
again. I want to learn control to control myself from hurting other
people. The kata I know and the art that I practice doesn't help me in
any way. I thought that perhaps another art or meditation would be more
helpful."
Nadoka nodded.
"Well, perhaps we should begin by first letting your emotions run
free. If you wish to learn to control them, you should know the nature of
them."
Ken looked at her with a mix of apprehension and fear. She placed
an arm on his shoulder and smile gently.
"Don't be afraid of what will happen. You must take this step to
begin your training in control."
Ken looked at the ground in front of him, and then his hands. He
closed his eyes and exhaled slowly. She told him to release all of his
emotions. Let them run free. It was a dangerous and frightening thing to
him.
You wish to learn control, a voice told him.
Fenrir and Janus. Why do you choose to speak to me at this time?
Control your emotions and it may be your undoing.
Why? Are you threatened by my want of self-control?
On the contrary, Avatar, we are pleased. It will further your
path to you destiny.
Why do you speak in riddles, Ethereal?
Why do wish to learn self-control? To weaken yourself?
To become a better warrior! To gain what I've lost!
And what have you lost?
Honor!
What is honor without self-control?
Nothing! To be able to fight and control yourself when you fight
is honorable.
Would you rather have a clear mind and the ability to act on
reason, or fight recklessly and with a complete abandon for your own
safety? You told me yourself that this deal is a deal that will last for
eternity. You chose me to be your host! You chose!
Tell me, Avatar, do you seek self-control to change your destiny
or to seal your fate?
I seek self-control because it is right! It is the way of a true
warrior! I will not make the same mistakes I made before!
And when you fight again, will you control your anger and hatred
and risk losing your life, or will you let loose those emotions that will
let you win? A warrior that does not fight to his full potential is not a
warrior, but a coward. Are you a coward? Are you mouse or man?
I am not a coward! I am a man! I am a man, Fenrir! A man!
Silence. Silence pervaded every part of his brain. It was
deafening, and more frightening than anything he had ever experienced. He
was alone. Once again, he was very alone. It seemed to last for an
eternity. Ken screamed.
Nodoka watched as Ken's face relaxed as his eyes closed. Then his
brow furrowed. Then he began to sweat profusely. His hands twitched and
started to convulse. They quickly balled into fists that shook with an
unseen rage. She hastily backed up, upsetting the rigid pattern of the
pebbles in the process. She kept backing up in fear as she saw all of
Ken's muscles seem to lock up. His whole body shook violently. A blue
aura formed and black tendrils seemed to whip out from him like lightning.
Suddenly, his eyes snapped open. Twin beams of blue shot out from his
eyes, and for a moment he stopped and everything was still. Then with a
hoarse cry of agony, he collapsed shaking violently, and curled up into
the fetal position. Ken lay curled on the rocks whimpering softly.
Nodoka's heart broke and she rushed over to him to cradle his head. She
slowly rocked his shaking form in her arms until he slowly calmed down and
the whimpering and tears stopped.
Ken slowly opened his eyes. All he could make out was Nodoka's obi, and
some of the blue fabric of her kimono in the dim light. He slowly sat up,
still shaking slightly. There was a glazed look in his eyes as he slowly
righted himself and sat kneeling on the mat again. A single tear fell
from his face and splashed on the rock below him.
"Mom," he said in a whisper.
Nodoka gently placed a hand on his shoulder. He didn't move.
"There is a great deal you need to work out, isn't there?" she asked
softly.
"I don't know." It was barely a whisper.
"You miss your parents a great deal."
"Yes. I miss them very much."
"It's okay to miss them."
"It's weak."
"No it isn't," Nodoka said insistently. "We all must miss loved
ones that pass on."
"They were murdered."
"It wasn't your fault."
"It was. I could have stopped them. If only I had broken free, I
would have killed those bastards," he spat.
"Could you? Could you have broken free?"
An image of the chains, of the shackles, and the beatings he had
received formed in his mind. He was helpless. For an instant he had felt
helplessness, and for the ten thousandth time in his life, he felt afraid.
He felt alone. Ken shut his eyes tightly.
"No," he choked. Tears began streaming. "I couldn't stop them.
Why couldn't I stop them? I should have been stronger," Ken began sobbing
openly.
Nodoka rushed over to comfort him.
"There wasn't anything you could have done."
"I should have fought them all with everything I had. I sat there
helpless and watched them kill my parents."
"The guilt isn't yours to assume."
"Then why can't I let it go?" he whispered.
"Because you love them too much."
"But there's so much more. Everything I've done to humiliate
myself, to disgrace myself before my brother. Before the only vestige of
family I have left is tied to my parents. Their death was the death of
who I was."
Nodoka peered into Ken's eyes intently.
"Is that true? What is it that died?"
"The warrior I used to be. I was a person who fought for
everything I felt was right. I upheld a moral code that embodied
everything I knew was good and right. My brother and I fought with our
lives by these ideals."
"And what was that?"
"Honor. Virtue. Compassion and mercy. Honesty. Loyalty."
"Bushido?"
"Yes. Very much like bushido."
"I think you miss some things then."
"I know."
"Bushido is more than a warriors code. It is more than a
philosophy for people who engage in combat. Honor and virtue are things
everyone must live by if they wish to be good people. Honesty and loyalty
are the hallmarks of love and friendship. Compassion and mercy balance
hate and anger. All people should live by those things."
"But I've failed already. I've been disgraced by the people I
knew as my peers. By people that lived where I believed to be my home. I
don't possess any of those things."
"But not here," Nodoka said with gentle smile, "here is a place
that is different. People here care about you. I can see it in the eyes
of people when they look at you. My son has already taken you to be the
brother he never had.
Honor and virtue and all those things aren't things that can be
possessed or held. You must accept them as parts of who your are and live
by them, just as others try to live by them. There is no end to living by
a ideal like bushido. You can only stop trying the day your soul leaves
you."
"And if I have no soul?"
"Stop that," Nodoka chided firmly. "I will hear none of that. I
can see all too easily that you have lived far too long thinking of these
things. It is time to let it go, Ken. You have to let go if you want to
begin healing."
"Thanks mom," Ken replied instinctively. He clapped a hand over
his mouth and blushed in embarrassment. "I-I'm very sorry. I meant no
disrespect."
Nodoka smiled gently.
"I don't mind. It's nice to hear that from you. Perhaps I can
help you in that way. I very rarely have the chance to hear my son call
me that nowadays. He's a very busy boy," she said with a smile. "You
should head home. It's late, and I'm sure you will have to work hard
tomorrow."
Ken smiled and got up from the mat.
"Will you be back tomorrow evening, Ken?" Nodoka asked.
"Yes. I have a great deal to learn; and to let go," he said
quietly.
"I'm glad."
Ken turned to the far wall. He held out his hand to the door
where he placed his sword.
"Long-tzu. In my hand," he said simply.
Genma had walked up to inspect the sword after watching the
interaction between his wife and Ken. He recoiled in shock as the sword
glowed and flew across the space between the door and Ken to land firmly
in his grasp. Ken turned with a smile and a wave to Nodoka and vaulted
over the wall into the night.
"He is an impressive youth," Genma said as he walked casually over
to where his wife was rolling up the two mats. "Perhaps an even better
fighter than Ranma is now."
Nodoka stood up and stared at her husband intently. They had come
a long way in reconciling differences since they had been reunited as a
family. She sighed and shook her head.
"Always thinking of the art. Yes, Ken may be a superior to Ranma
in that aspect; but he lacks a great many things that Ranma has. Ken has
no family, few friends, and carries with him the enormous guilt of the
death of his parents. He is, in a great many respects, less a person that
Ranma. Ranma has friends, people who love him, and a family. Ken has
grown up, from what I gather, bereft of such things. Yes, husband he is a
superior fighter, but he is less the person Ranma has become. I am very
concerned for him."
"Like a distressed mother, No-chan."
"Yes. It is something he needs desperately. He wants it very
much. I can sense that much," Nodoka smiled warmly. "Perhaps we should
have another son? It may do you good to try establishing a better
relationship between father and son, ne?"
Genma blanched.
"No-chan, are you saying you want another baby?" he asked
incredulously.
Nodoka laughed gently and walked towards the house shaking her
head, leaving her husband shocked in the garden.