[Ranma][FanFic] The Road Less Traveled : Chapter 6

Ranma13

Nov 8, 2001, 5:18:15 PM11/8/01
The Road Less Traveled
by Michael "Ranma13" Cerda

Revised 7/13/01

I do not take credit for the Ranma 1/2 characters. They are owned and
created
by the goddess Rumiko Takahashi. The rights go to her and Viz
communication. This is my own story and in no way express how Rumiko
wanted her story to go. With this at mind, enjoy.

--------------------

Chapter 6: Friendships

"Who dares receive it other, As we shall make our grief's and and
clamour roar upon his death?"

"I am settled, and bend up each coporal agent to this terrible feat.
Away and.....and.....Damn."

"What the hell is wrong? We went over this too many times." The
director went to the stage as he stood in front of his lead actor.

"Sorry, just a little slip"

"Arrgghh, okay we're done for today. Remember that opening night is
in a few days. We were good in London and Paris, but I want to be
perfect. Alright everyone gather around." He watched as his crew
surrounded him, "This tour has been great so far. You've all been
chosen because you're the best in the world for your age." As he
looked over the young faces, he saw the future of acting. Somehow he
felt good about the future. "Alright take the rest of the day off.
We start tomorrow early." Watching everyone disperse, "Akane."

Akane weaved through the crowd, "Yes, sir."

"Please Akane, just call me Rob,"

"Yes.....Rob"

Breathing a sign of relief, "Tonight I want you to work with Muriel.
She's still over acting some of the scene's." Studying Akane, "You're
a very talented actress. I know that being an understudy wasn't what
you had in mind, but Muriel has three years of experience with us.
You know you both could learn a lot from each other."

"Sir," as Akane bowed. Walking away from the director, she headed for
the dressing rooms. It's been four months since she left Japan. In a
short amount of time, she's grown. Not just in her acting, but as a
person. The people she worked with were wonderful and very talented.
They were students from around the world who petitioned to get into
the production. At first Akane regretted her decision of joining.
She felt like an outcast, but traveling through Paris and London, she
knew that her decision was the right one.

Reaching the dressing room, Akane opened the door as she walked
through. Most of the girls had already left; some were about ready to
leave. "Hi Akane."

"Hi Gwen," Akane smiled, Gwen was such a likable person. She was
sweet and somewhat shy. Originally from Sweden, Gwen was blond hair
and had green eyes. She had one of those looks that portrayed
happiness.

"You going with us?" As Stephanie jumped from behind Gwen.

"Where are you guys going?"

Walking over to Akane, she put her arm around her, "Just some local
bar."

Akane saw the mischievous grin on her face. Stephanie and Gwen were
the best of friends, even though they were complete opposites. While
Gwen was shy and reserved, Stephanie was loud and uninhibited. Not
that she thought Steph was a bad person. It was quite the opposite,
in a way she reminded her of Ranma. In a way...

"So are you going?"

"Maybe, but I'll meet you guys there."

"That's fine, Muriel knows where it is, Later."

"Bye, Akane" as Gwen waved, walking out behind Stephanie.

Entering into the adjoining dressing room, Akane saw Muriel changing
into her street clothes. In a way, Muriel reminded her of Scarlet O'
Hara in Gone With the Wind. The long wavy brown hair and perfect
skin. Akane knew one day that Muriel would be a star, "Hi"

Giving a quick glance, "Hey"

"What's wrong?" Akane had a concerned look on her face.

"I'm just tired. Since coming to New York. Rob's been biting my ass
about everything." As she started putting on her shoes.

"Yeah, he want's us to work on your lines tonight."

"Great! Can't he give me a rest for one day." As she roughly tied
her shoelaces. "What's wrong this time?"

"Overacting"

"Jeez, That's it let's go to the bar. I need a drink." As they both
walked out of the dressing room.

Walking out of the theatre and off campus, they headed to the bar.
The sun was starting it's descent in the west. Akane and Muriel
started talking about little things. Akane could remember when it
wasn't like that at first. When they first met, it didn't take long
for them to dislike each other. Akane wanted the lead in the plays,
while Muriel thought of Akane as competition. After awhile and a few
chats, they realized how stupid the way they acted was. Now they are
the best of friends. Akane never felt as close to Muriel as she did
with anybody else.

Walking down the street Muriel stopped in front of some bar. "I think
this is the place." As they walked in the bar was crowded. The whole
place had this electricity to it.

"Hey Girls over here."

Akane spotted Stephanie waving at them. Poking Muriel's shoulder, she
pointed to the table. Walking to the table they saw Stephanie and
Gwen.

"Come on and pull up a seat. As you can see we started early." As
she laughed.

Akane and Muriel sat in the other two empty chairs at the table.
Muriel kept from laughing at how Stephanie was acting; she already saw
a couple of empty shot glasses on the table. "You weren't kidding
when you said you were partying tonight."

"You got that right," as Stephanie saluted them and took a drink of
her beer.

"Guess what? Rob wants me to practice some more tonight." Having to
almost yell over the noise in the place.

"You're shitting me? Why doesn't he take that sticks that up his ass
out." As Stephanie started laughing, the rest of the table joined in.

"What's up girls?" As a guy popped his head between Stephanie and
Gwen.

"Luke Baby" putting her arms around him, Stephanie gave him a big hug.

"Huh.....Hi........Hi....Lucas," as Gwen started to get nervous.

Akane smiled as she watched Gwen getting flushed. It was obvious to
her and everyone else that Gwen really like Lucas. When Akane first
met Lucas, she was surprised that he came from England. She thought
that mostly white people lived in England. She still couldn't
believe her narrow mindness. Lucas was probably the best-set
director. It was amazing how realistic the sets looked.

"Hey Gwen" turned to Muriel and Akane. "I'm honored that the
productions biggest stars would hang out with the common."

Stephanie hit Lucas, "Be Nice"

Laughing, "Ahhh, they know I'm playin" as he winked at Akane. "O.k
this round I'm buyin...What would you girls be havin."

"Yeah, Get me a beer." Finishing the last of her beer.

"Gwen?"

"uh...Amaretto Sour."

"What about you Muriel?"

"Long Island"

Turning to Akane, "Well"

"I'll just have water."

Shaking his head, "Oh you just didn't say that. That's not going to
work tonight." Pointing down, "Tonight you're going to get
initiated."

"No, really I just want water."

"No, really not tonight, What do you think girls?" As he looked at
the other three.

"Lightning 101 or Firewater"

"Are you trying to kill her." Looking at Akane for a moment, "We'll
get you Hot Damn."

"Also get her a Sex on the Beach. That should help the shot go down."

"Good idea Muriel, alright I'm off."

Stephanie stopped him before he left, "Hey, you did you come with?"

"OH" looking over at another table. "Todd and kicks, I'll tell them
to come over."

"I don't know about this," Akane was a little scared. She never
really drank before. Of' course living in Japan she had a cup of Sake
once or twice, but she never drank to get drunk. Hearing horror
stories of what happened to women when they were drunk, was what kept
her from drinking. Losing control was the one thing she didn't want
to happen.

"Loosen up Akane, I know you had a strict household, but for tonight
let yourself go." Muriel really liked Akane, but at times she worried
about her.

"Yeah, Akane. Git shitfaced like the rest of us drunks. Isn't that
right Gen." As Stephanie nudged Gwen.

"Huh," As she was shaken from her daze.

"Oh forget it," Pointing to Gwen, "She still mesmerized by Lucas."

"No I'm not!" Trying to deny the accusations.

"Yeah whatever," Dismissing the comment.

"Hi"

All the girls turned as Todd and kicks stood before them. "Kicks" as
Stephanie motioned for him to come to her. Walking over to her side
of the table, she gave him a big hug.

"Hi, Todd."

"Hi, Akane."

Smiling at Todd, "Go get a seat." Most of the girls liked Todd, he
was very tanned from living in Florida. He looked like he was cocky,
but it was quite the opposite. He was very polite and really nice to
everyone. He also had the best blue eyes, which most of the girls
talked about.

Todd grabbed a seat from another table as he sat down between Muriel
and Akane. Kicks took a seat between Stephanie and Muriel.

"Here you go" Lucas came back with the drinks, placing them in front
of the girls. The girls grabbed their drinks as Akane hesitantly took
hers. "Don't be afraid, just take the shot glass and pour the drink
down your throat." Still watching her, Lucas sat down between Akane
and Gwen. "I'll take a shot with you."

Akane watched as Lucas picked up his shot glass. She did the same, as
the table counted to three. Lucas and Akane poured the shot down
their throats. Instantly Akane mouths went on fire as she was
coughing. Then her gag reflex started to kick in.

"Akane, Drink some of your Sex on the Beach. That will help with the
shot." Muriel wanted to laugh, but decided not to.

Drinking some of the other liquid, the taste started to wear off. To
her surprise, the other drink wasn't bad, actually it was really good.

"Alright Akane," As Stephanie started to cheer. The rest of the table
joined in.

Starting to get dizzy, "Why am I getting light headed."

"Wow she already has a buzz, You go girl." Stephanie was laughing the
whole time.

The rest of the night, everyone at the table was drinking, laughing
and having a good time. Akane was also enjoying herself, even though
she could hardly think. A couple shots and a few drinks later.

"It's getting late," Looking at his watch. "Oh damn it's one. When's
rehearsal?"

"Nine" As Gwen looked at Lucas fondly.

Everyone stood or try to stand at least. Kicks helped Stephanie to
her feet. "Ttthranks kicks. Y...y...your tha grtest."

Akane stood as the room started to spin. She almost fell over, but
Muriel quickly got a hold of her. As Akane started to laugh, she
laughed so hard that she snorted which made everyone else at the table
laugh. The group stumbled out of the bar as they made their way back
to their rooms.

Akane looked at Muriel, "You think we're going to get into trouble."

"Yeah, probably, but who cares."

The bar wasn't that far from campus, as they walked along the street.
It was rare for them to go out like they did. Most of their time was
spent rehearsing and setting up the sets. Each month they traveled to
a new location. One week was spent traveling, as the next two were
usually the time they set up and rehearsal time. This allowed one
week for the performance. Because of the stress of the job only the
best students were chosen from around the world. Each stop a new play
was performed, as the pressure mounted on these young actors. Most,
who were able to get away and unwind, did.

Reaching their building everyone split going to their rooms. Gwen and
Stephanie followed Akane and Muriel. "Good night" As Akane and Muriel
entered their room, closing the door behind them.

Flopping onto their beds, "I don't feel so good,"

"I guess, you drank a little too much for your first time." Thinking,
"you know Akane, I don't really know anything about you. I know you
lost your mother at a young age. Your older sister raised you while
your father was in terrible mourning and you have another sister who
took care of the finances, but what was it like growing up?"

Akane thought about the question. Even though it hurt her to think,
"You know, I've probably seen and done things you couldn't even
imagine." Laughing, and then holding her head, "Oww, I probably
wouldn't believe it either if it didn't happen to me. If I told you
some of my experiences, you wouldn't believe me and probably would
think I was crazy." Pausing, "The rest of the world is definitely
normal compared to Nerima." As she fell asleep saying the final word.

"Akane....Akane.....Great, I'll find out sooner or later." Turning the
light off, Muriel closed her eyes and went to sleep.

Opening her eyes she stared in the dark, Akane sighed. "I hope I
never have to tell you." As she closed her eyes and fell asleep.

********

Akane woke up in shock, looking over at the clock, "Damn," Quickly
getting out of bed, she shook Muriel, "Hey wake up." Then it hit her,
holding her head. "Owww." Her head was throbbing.

Muriel snapped her eyes open as she looked at the clock, "Oh shit,
10:10, Fuck me." She quickly jumped out of bed and ran to the
bathroom.

Akane quickly got undressed and took a cold shower, hoping that would
help with her hangover. Once she was out, Muriel was in. Both
changed as fast as they could. In fifteen minutes from when they
awoke, they were out the door. They heard commotion coming from the
door across the hall as Gwen and Stephanie ran out of the door almost
colliding with Akane and Muriel.

"We are in so much fuckin trouble."

"Well lets go"

The four girls were running at top speed to the theatre. "What
happened to you guys." Muriel ran alongside Stephanie.

"Brainiac over there," pointing to Gwen. "Forgot to set the Alarm
last night. Since I was in a drunken stupor, I wouldn't have done
it."

"Hey I forgot."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, Let's just get there and hopefully he wont ream us
too big of a new asshole."

As they entered the theatre, the entire crew was on stage waiting for
them. Walking down the aisle to the stage, everyone started clapping.
"Lets here it for them." As Rob lead the cheer.

The four girls turned red with embarrassment as they walked on stage.
Watching the girls' expressions, Rob decided to go easier on them than
he originally planned. "I'm not your father or your teacher. This
isn't High School or College. You're in a legitimate production.
Each of you," pointing to everyone, "were chosen because your were the
best in your field. I expect you to get here on time and ready to
work." Pausing letting his message get through, "Akane, take Muriel
and help her in costume. You have ten minutes." He watched as Akane
and Muriel quickly left to the dressing room. "Alright I expect
everyone in their places when they get back." The group quickly
dispersed as they went back to their various jobs. Rob grinned,
sometimes he had to light a fire under their asses.

Muriel entered the dressing room with Akane right behind her. Taking
her shirt and pants off. Muriel went to the rack and took off one of
the gowns. Slipping into it, Akane helped her button the dress up.
"It could have been worse you know?"

Akane sighed, "I know, but I shouldn't have drank last night."
Finishing the last button, "There"

Muriel turned around, "Look Akane, you have to have fun. Life can't
always be work. Did you have fun last night?"

"Well.....yeah."

"You did nothing wrong except to be late. There's nothing to be
ashamed of." Looking into her eyes, "Alright."

Akane nodded.

"Good, now let's go," Making their way to the stage, Muriel had a
determined look on her face as she stood center stage.

"Alright, opening night is tomorrow. Act I Scene I. Let's Go!"

********

"Are you two going? We're meeting at the same place?"

"Not tonight," as Muriel started to put on her shirt.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah," Akane decided to answer for the both of them.

"Allright, but if you change your mind you know where to find us," As
Steph left.

"You almost ready," Akane was a little ancy to leave. They've been
rehearsing for ten hours. She was tired and hungry.

"Yeah let's go," As they walked out of the dressing room and onto the
stage. Muriel stopped as she looked out at the seats. All the seats
would be filled by tomorrow night.

Akane stood by her friend, "Excited."

Looking over at Akane, "yeah kinda."

Gazing at Muriel fondly, "Let's go"

Leaving the theatre, they decided to go to a coffee shop to grab a
quick bite. The next day was going to be rough and they would need
all of the strength they could muster. Leaving the building it was
already dark outside. Walking down a path that led out of the
university. From out of one of the shadows a hand grabbed Akane,
dragging her in a space between two buildings.

"What the......!!!"

"Shut up!!" As the mugger held up the knife to Akane, "One word from
your friend and I'll slice your throat."

Muriel couldn't believe what was happening. Everything was happening
so quickly. She started to shake violently as she watched the mugger
wave the knife in front of Akane.

Akane smiled, "look if you leave right now. I promise not to hurt
you."

"Akane!" Muriel couldn't believe what she was hearing. Nothing was
worth losing Akane. If the man wanted money she would give it to him.

The mugger snickered, without warning a punch was thrown at such a
speed only his instinct to turn his head avoided him from getting hit.
Turning his head the girl's arm was only a few inches from his head.
What he was wondering was why he only saw the middle of her forearm.
He started to shake when he realized that the punch went right through
solid concrete. Dropping the knife he ran as fast as he could past
the other girl, far away.

Akane withdrew her fist from the wall as she looked over at Muriel who
was shaking violently. Running over to her Akane took her in her
arms. "It's okay, he left."

Muriel crying on Akane's shoulder looked at the fist size hole she
made in the building. Taking a step back, "That's impossible."

Akane turned around and sighed, "I guess you should know. Are you
alright?" Looking into her eyes. Muriel nodded, "Good let's get
something to eat." Akane grabbed Muriel's hand as they went to the
coffee shop.

********

"Your right I don't believe you. There are no such things as monsters
and ghosts." Muriel couldn't believe what her friend was telling her.
Being kidnapped by princes, martial artists who seemed to defy
gravity. People with unbelievable strength. The whole story was so
farfetched.

Sitting at the table in the Coffee shop. Muriel listened as Akane
explained her life story. "I told you. I don't even know what to
think of it."

"So you're engaged then." Muriel had a sad expression on her face,
which went unnoticed by Akane.

"No, not really. There were a couple of times we almost got married,
but things just didn't seem right. Now that I look back on it, I'm
ashamed of how I treated Ranma. In the end it would never have work
out." Pausing to take a sip of tea, "I think because we were forced
into it, we sort of resented each other for it. After he left Nerima,
I admit my heart was crushed. Not for the fact that I loved him,"
thinking, "Actually I do love him, but not romantically. Even though
I thought it was, No I was hurt because of everything we went through
he didn't even say goodbye."

Muriel sat and listened to her friend's confession, "Do you know where
he is?"

Akane shook her head, "No and I think it's best that way. I
understand now what he was going through. The world is normal
compared to Nerima, and living there could make anyone go crazy."

"If you grew up in martial arts family...Why acting?"

"Good question, I think it's because I wanted my father's approval. I
took up Martial Arts wanting to be the best, once Ranma showed up I
wasn't the best anymore. Acting gave me the power to sway people's
emotions, with just words. If you can become the character, then they
fell what you feel. That's the greatest feeling in the world."

Smiling, "You know, you're a great actress."

Blushing, "No you don't have to say that."

"Really you are. I have no doubt if we started at the same time. Rob
would have chosen you over me....Well, I still don't know about the
kidnapping business or the monsters, but you say they are true then
that's good enough for me."

Akane smiled, "Let's go."

Getting up from the table, they left enough money for the bill and
tip. Walking back to their room not much was said. They walked
enjoying the warm nigh air as the stars were out that night. Walking
upstairs and down the hallway, they reached their room. Looking at
one another, smiling as Akane unlocked the door. Opening it Akane and
Muriel walked inside as the door was shut behind them.

********

The seats in the theatre were starting to get filled as people were
filing in. Most were regulars who came each year. Saying it was one
of the best productions. Others were disgruntled students who were
forced to come due to some homework assignment. The lights flickered
warning everyone the play was about to start. Those in the lobby
trying to get a last smoke or chatting with a colleague came into the
auditorium and took their seats. The ushers closed the doors as the
lights dimmed till the theatre was pitch black. A spotlight fired on
a spot on the curtain as it was drawn.

As the performance was taking place, Akane was watching backstage
behind a curtain. Muriel was giving a performance of a lifetime.
Akane watched with admiration as her friend flowed on the stage. As
the play went on so did the magnitude of her performance. Akane felt
tears streaming down her eyes, as the final lines were said. The
curtain was drawn as the audience stood shouting and cheering to a
deafening level. The cast took a curtain call, as they bowed to the
audience. Heading backstage, Akane was waiting for Muriel as she
hugged her.

"That was one of the greatest performances I've ever seen."

Muriel blushed, "Thanks:"

"Oh beauteous Akane Tendo, it is you! It must be fate for us to meet
in such a place. You may date with thee!"

"KUNO!!!"

To be Continued............

Authors Note: I wanted to explain why Akane chose acting instead of
Martial Arts. I hope that I explained my reasoning. Please C & C are
more than welcomed. Please no flames. I want constructed criticism.
All previous chapters can be found at :
http://www.geocities.com/fanficshrine/index.htm

email me at:
ran...@yahoo.com

Thank-You, I'm hoping to get chapter 7 out soon........