Hello and Open Source Circular Economy Days Reading Linkup

Erica

May 2, 2016, 5:49:56 PM5/2/16
to Reading Hackspace
Hello all,

Thought I'd posted this but seems not.. apologies if again!

I've moved to Reading more recently and have a background in design, engineering and sustainability - keen to get involved in all things making and doing (visited the R-lab the other night, really great)!

One thing I got involved with/ was part of founding was the Open Source Circular Economy days - it looks at the role of open source tools, methodologies and ethos has to play in more sustainable design, collaboration and economy. Last year 33 cities took part around the world and this year there are already about 60 that will be connecting, sharing, making and documenting over the weekend.

As I was originally in London we'll be doing some activities there but I'm keen for others to come out to Reading to perhaps map activities and coincide with Reading Green Fest . It would be great to visit/ perhaps share/ do something with the R-Lab when in town.

Let me know if anyone's interested and perhaps we could organise a little meetup to chat through / share ideas - We've also got open organisation of it all. I'll probably visit again soon/ join as well as have some other projects I fancy making.

Best

Erica

Matthew Daubney

May 5, 2016, 3:43:38 PM5/5/16
to Reading Hackspace
Hello!

Sorry I've been slow to get back to you, I've had to do some reading to try and understand what you're trying to achieve (website and videos seem to take some time to digest for me anyway)

The circular economy thing is interesting, though maybe a little oversimplified, or maybe I oversimplified it to understand it.......

Anyway! I'm guessing your target with rLab would be something like http://community.oscedays.org/t/headline-challenge-circular-maker-spaces/451 or looking at building the plastic grinder/what not that is going around (and I know Andy Noyes is building a small one of).

I remember you talking about Reading Green Fest ( http://www.transitionreading.org.uk/reading-green-fest/ ). I might wander down when it's on and see if we can help next year.

mikethebee

May 17, 2016, 8:57:51 AM5/17/16
to Reading Hackspace
Hello Erica,

I have just had a chance to look at OSCE and it does look interesting. There are several common threads with rLab projects and other groups in Reading. I note that for https://oscedays.org/london-2016/ the London group are coming to Reading an attending the Green Fest, which also includes the Water Fest.

It is also the day of the maker event at GROW Green Park: http://www.connecttvt.co.uk/event/design-disrupt-do-3ds-rise-of-the-maker/

So a busy day all round, we should be able to start building connections and that may be the day to start, are you planning to add Reading to the OSCE map yourself?

-Thanks Mike.

----

Erica

May 22, 2016, 8:24:22 AM5/22/16
to Reading Hackspace
Hi Mike, Matthew,

Thanks for your replies :) As you say I think it would be a nice opportunity to start building links :) with possibly the view to link up further in following years. On the Friday we're in the Machinesroom in London where I think a precious plastic shredder and molding machine is being built with also links to Reading.

At the moment it looks like we may have a stall/ presence at the GreenFest and start engaging and mapping projects and linkages there, where examples from the r-lab could feature. Will have to look into the maker event more and see it would be possible to visit while on to also connect the dots.

I'll probably try pop round the r-lab this Wed again on the open evening and can share more on the projects.

Best

Erica

Andy Noyes

May 23, 2016, 6:11:26 PM5/23/16
to Reading Hackspace
Hi Erica,

I'm part of the Machines Room Precious Plastics group, and I think I'm probably the 'link to Reading'.

I've built a miniature shredder (not the PP design) which is not finished, but is now operational. If you're going to rLab on Wed, shout here and I'll try and bring it along. I plan to take it to public events in future but not before I've fitted various safety guards and interlocks, I probably won't get this done before June 11th though.

Andy

Alex Gibson

May 23, 2016, 6:20:04 PM5/23/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andy

Would it shred old 3 D prints?  For filament making?

Cheers

Alex

Tapped on my mobile phone.

Andy Noyes

May 23, 2016, 7:23:20 PM5/23/16
to Reading Hackspace
Happy to try! :)

I'm not planning on building a filament extruder for 3D printing, I'm going to be shredding plastic bottles (PE) and would eventually like to build an injection moulder.

I've seen some quite simple designs for filament extruders but not being very knowledgeable about 3DP I don't know enough about the requirements for the filament, how consistent the diameter needs to be etc.

Alex Gibson

May 24, 2016, 1:54:18 AM5/24/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I have been looking to build a filament extruder for ages, but time and space constraints have prevented.  Grinding up the filament first is a key part, so if you are game I can bring a bag of filament and see what the results are...

Tapped on my mobile phone.

Andy Noyes

May 24, 2016, 3:54:48 AM5/24/16
to Reading Hackspace
That would be good to try, I haven't perfected how it shreds bottles yet and need to make some changes. I also haven't yet made a hopper to go on top of the shredder, I think that might be important for shredding failed 3D prints, bottles you can feed in by hand and once it's grabbed them they can't escape.

Stuart Ward

May 24, 2016, 6:06:51 PM5/24/16
to Reading Hackspace

On 2 May 2016 at 13:01, Erica <er...@technicalnature.org.uk> wrote:
Let me know if anyone's interested and perhaps we could organise a little meetup to chat through / share ideas - We've also got open organisation of it all. I'll probably visit again soon/ join as well as have some other projects I fancy making.

I would have thought that the repair cafe is one of the things we do that is in that circular economy space.

-- Stuart Ward M +44 7782325143

Erica

May 26, 2016, 5:46:05 PM5/26/16
to Reading Hackspace
Thanks all - yes, all these activities definitely link/ circular and the repair cafe is very relevant! We aim to capture some of the examples, stories and connections like this (open mapping) during the day. Regarding the filament 3D print shredder/ extruder - we were looking at this at the place I work too (CRL) . As you say, there are difficulties around consistency and probably also getting enough of a batch of the same. Would be interested to look at further (out with the actual OSCEdays) as ultimately it is more about continued open source projects.

I'm not able to join next Wed as at an event in London - but if I give a shout another time later next week could chat/ see? would be cool maybe just to put in a small show and tell visit to the r-lab during the day.

Erica

Andy Noyes

May 27, 2016, 8:55:56 AM5/27/16
to Reading Hackspace
I could bring my shredder to rLab later next week for a quick show/tell. It would also be good to see how it performs on 3D prints and laser cutter off-cuts. Extruding the shredded plastic into filament (for 3DP or other) is one option, but there are others too that might not need to be so consistent.

Here's the shredder so far (not finished), I'm using a 1/4HP motor from my old drill press, but it's not quite powerful enough and also annoyingly can't be reversed when the machine jams. Before I buy a new one, does anybody happen to have a spare single phase 1/2HP 4-pole (~1400rpm) motor? Preferably with a terminal box that brings out all the wires so I can make it go in either direction. If not I'll order one after the Bank Holiday.

Eric Rowen

May 28, 2016, 4:50:34 AM5/28/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Andy,   I need a very similar power and speed 230v ac motor........... if you find a supplier of these I would really appreciate a contact.

Andy Noyes

May 28, 2016, 5:36:28 AM5/28/16
to Reading Hackspace
Looking at this one. Available as split phase or cap start/cap run. Slightly cheaper ones also on ebay

Richard / rgproduct

May 28, 2016, 5:57:36 AM5/28/16
to Reading Hackspace
I also looked into this a lot. Also spoke to a number of extruder makers/kick-starters etc.

Main issue is that even the home semi pro types it is recommended that the filament is run through twice for best results. It is quite an industrial process.

An actual extruder is quite simple, the results perhaps not so. Worthwhile ones are 600gbp.

Cheaper and easier, at the time to find a high vfm supplier pla.

More cost and time effective.

Norro

May 30, 2016, 9:47:03 AM5/30/16
to Reading Hackspace
There is also the issue that recycling PLA uses more energy than new PLA, it already comes from renewable sources and the waste is compostible.

So recycling it in this case is a bad thing and a waste of energy. Its an example highlighting that you shouldn't blindly follow the mantra of recycling but work out the saving vs the costs to make sure that it is a net benefit.

Chris M

Jun 1, 2016, 4:31:48 PM6/1/16
to Reading Hackspace
Not sure if this helps but the T100A4 in the surplus section here might work: https://www.motioncontrolproducts.co.uk/products/34/102/ac-induction-motors/

Eric Rowen

Jun 2, 2016, 2:40:14 PM6/2/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Useful ref !  Thanks...

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 9:31 PM, Chris M <chris.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Not sure if this helps but the T100A4 in the surplus section here might work: https://www.motioncontrolproducts.co.uk/products/34/102/ac-induction-motors/

Alex Gibson

Oct 9, 2016, 9:27:34 AM10/9/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Andy,

I wonder if we could possibly do some plastic grinding at rLab soon please?

I have a significant amount of waste PLA that I hope to recycle, and it would be brilliant to at least find out what the effort and timescales are to grind this to a manageable quantity…

Cheers

Alex

Andy Noyes

Oct 9, 2016, 10:56:51 AM10/9/16
to Reading Hackspace
Actually, having not done anything on my plastic shredder for the last couple of months, I've just gone back to it to finish off some safety features. Like an interlocked door over the hopper which I think will be important if I want to take it to repair cafés etc., not sure I'll have this finished for the next one (next Sun?) but I can bring the machine to rLab one evening this week. When is good?

I've also got some commercial grade polypropylene injection moulding pellets I'd like to try in the thermoforming centre. Emma if you're around I can demonstrate the vacuum forming too?

mikethebee

Oct 13, 2016, 11:31:11 AM10/13/16
to Reading Hackspace
Hello Andy,
Did you decide on a day, or have you done the thermoform demo? I would like to give it a go.
The video linked on the wiki (http://rlab.org.uk/wiki/ToolDocs/911ThermoForm) is a great introduction and it looks straight-forward enough, but your experience would be invaluable. We could do with adding a reference to temps and timing for the stock of material that rlab is holding (if any), or you have used, such as your pellets you mention.
-Thanks, Mike

On Sunday, 9 October 2016 15:56:51 UTC+1, Andy Noyes wrote:
Actually, having not done anything on my plastic shredder for the last couple of months, I've just gone back to it to finish off some safety features. Like an interlocked door over the hopper which I think will be important if I want to take it to repair cafés etc., not sure I'll have this finished for the next one (next Sun?) but I can bring the machine to rLab one evening this week. When is good?

I've also got some commercial grade polypropylene injection moulding pellets I'd like to try in the thermoforming centre. Emma if you're around I can demonstrate the vacuum forming too?
..snip

Andy Noyes

Oct 14, 2016, 7:06:17 AM10/14/16
to Reading Hackspace
I haven't heard back from Alex so I expect he's been busy. I did actually bring the shredder to rLab  on Wed, but nobody who'd expressed interest in it was around so it just sat in my car.

I did experiment with injection moulding/extruding another two types of plastic. It seems there is a lot of trial and error, and as the video suggests, the best way to tell when it's ready is by eye! I found I had to set the oven temperature much higher than the actual melting point (around 200-250°C) and soak for 20 minutes or so.

I've left a couple of bottles of commercial injection moulding pellets in the cabinet of the machine for anybody to use, One PolyPropylene and one EPDM. The EPDM is an interesting rubbery material, probably good for extruding gaskets, seals etc. but didn't injection-mould as well as the PP. There is a PP injection-moulded example on the shelf of curiosities in the small machine room.

Alex Gibson

Oct 14, 2016, 1:45:50 PM10/14/16
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
So sorry you went to that trouble Andy, I was unable to come to rlab on weds!

I will be in late this evening but can't be sure when, then next week Monday or weds nights may be possible?  We should book it!  When suits you?

I have a good quantity of PLA waste, will leave some in my car so it's available anytime we do meet...

Cheers
Alex

Tapped on my mobile phone.

Andy Noyes

Oct 14, 2016, 4:00:26 PM10/14/16
to Reading Hackspace, em...@emmalouisepayne.com
Not a problem at all! I was going on Weds anyway to deliver Stan his cutting nozzle, plus I haven't been to an open night for many months. I just threw the shredder in the car on the off-chance more than anything.

Maybe we can coordinate with Mike and Emma who wanted to do some vacuum forming? It seemed fairly quiet on Weds, with winter drawing in perhaps it's not a bad night for actual hacking?

mikethebee

Oct 16, 2016, 2:20:14 PM10/16/16
to Reading Hackspace
Hello Andy, I didn't feel up to Weds unfortunately, but plan to there tomorrow (Mon 17th) for a mix of TVRRUG, LURE questions and, if it suits you, some thermoforming. Otherwise another day/evening at your suggestion.
Thanks, Mike

Andy Noyes

Oct 17, 2016, 11:24:42 AM10/17/16
to Reading Hackspace
I can't make today or Tue, buts Weds is a possibility.

Alex, shall I bring the shredder?

Rob

Apr 19, 2017, 11:20:35 AM4/19/17
to Reading Hackspace
Hello!

Andy, I am Rob, enthusiastic about solving the plastic waste problem as well. May I reach you directly?

Not sure this post is relevant anylonger.

Andy Noyes

Apr 20, 2017, 6:51:27 PM4/20/17
to Reading Hackspace
Hi Rob,

Where are you from and what's your interest in plastic? I know other people in this group are also interested in different aspects of reusing plastic materials.

No, not sure what happened to the circular economy, or if anything did take place.

Andy

Rob De

Apr 22, 2017, 6:00:00 PM4/22/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Thank You Andy for your quick response!

I am in Spain.

I need some help to build the shredder:
  • shredding bits
  • powerful motor like yours.
  • Then the extruder.

And I would like to be able to exchange technical queries with you.

Thankfully Rob.
“stay hungry, stay foolish"

Andy Noyes

Apr 22, 2017, 6:28:22 PM4/22/17
to Reading Hackspace
Hi Rob, have you seen the Precious Plastics forum? There's quite a few people in Spain already building shredders/ extruders and there's a lot of useful information there. My machines are a different design, it might be better for you to combine efforts with somebody more local to you building this type of machine.

Rob De

Apr 22, 2017, 6:35:49 PM4/22/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Andy, there is a lot more I want to discuss. I know there are people in Spain from PP doing it and I understand it makes more sense to build locally.

I have seen your work and I admire it. I want to talk with you…

Rob De

Apr 23, 2017, 1:04:46 PM4/23/17
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Andy Noyes