Bike computer

Broccoli Cog

Jun 9, 2017, 1:55:28 PM6/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
What do you use for a bike computer if anything at all? In my past cycling life I wouldn't think about leaving the house without my Garmin and a HRM. These days more often than not I simply don't bother with the Garmin. I must say it's pretty liberating. I've contemplated going back to a plain old bike computer that is simple to use and just keeps track of time and distance. Since I no longer have a desire to upload my rides online I wonder if a simple computer is best or maybe I don't even need one at all? Curious to know what other list members are doing.

Chris Birkenmaier

Jun 9, 2017, 2:07:13 PM6/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have the Cateye Strada Wireless on most of my bikes.  Small, wireless, basic functions.  All I really need or want.  I also have 2 units of the Garmin 500 which I use for just basic information.  I don't track my rides for future reference or anything.

Deacon Patrick

Jun 9, 2017, 2:09:16 PM6/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I very intentionally never put one on my Hunqapillar when I got it five years ago. Before that I rode according to the computer. What a difference no "live" metrics makes! As you describe, very liberating. Riding by feel, keeping my effort aerobic (roughly 180 beats per minute less age), which I've done running for years so I have a very good feel for it, makes the ride far more enjoyable than my chronic cardio of years gone by. It's wondrous not riding to metrics!

For navigation, map and compass.

With abandon,
Patrick

Bill Lindsay

Jun 9, 2017, 2:10:05 PM6/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I ditched bike computers entirely about 5 years back.  I sometimes get into a semi-competitive mood and in those cases I use Strava on my iPhone to keep track of miles and to shoot for a couple goofy KOM things.  The three segments that I care the most about are:

1.  Wake the Dead (extended):  https://www.strava.com/segments/10134568

My morning commute involves this drop run through the cemetery.  I'm 4th all time, wearing jeans and tennies.  There's one blind T intersection that you have to slow down in case a car is coming.  With a spotter standing there, I could blow through that T and definitely get a KOM.

This is the rocky steep hill climb that all the East Bay racers use to compare their fitness.  If you are fast on this climb, you are fast.  I am not fast, but it's fun to go for personal bests.

3.  Wiggle Through Alvarado:  https://www.strava.com/segments/13373082

This is a fun little dirt shortcut through the park during one of the standard Road Bike Training Loops.  15 years ago I used that shortcut on my work commute every day.  I'm second all time, but very few people ride this section.

After a short while I get bored of Strava and Just Ride.

BL in EC

Tim Butterfield

Jun 9, 2017, 2:14:45 PM6/9/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have a pair of devices on my AHH.

These are a Garmin Edge 820 and an iPhone 5S running the Wahoo Fitness app (on a Quad Lock mount).  Both ANT+ and BT are fed simultaneously by the Wahoo Fitness Blue SC sensor and a TickrX HR strap.  I went this way as I also use the TickrX and Wahoo iOS app off of the bike.

Tim

Reed Kennedy

Jun 9, 2017, 2:17:48 PM6/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
The only thing I really like using a bike computer for is finding and following new routes without stopping to check the way.

The Wahoo Elemnt is really, really great for that. It syncs with RideWithGPS and other sites via either your phone or wifi and displays a map on a nice black and white screen that is easy to read even in direct sunlight.

I could use my iPhone for this, but the Elemnt is easier to read and I don't have to worry about running out of battery on my phone, which always causes me some anxiety.

The Elemnt also does a great job with speed, Strava, and sensor stuff (power, heart rate, cadence, etc) but it turns out I don't care a whole lot about most of that stuff most of the time. I bring it with me when I want directions and leave it home the rest of the time. I find it far, far nicer to interact with than the Garmin I had before, which always felt like work.

Oh, and the Element does track the temperature, which is kind of nice. I felt like I wasn't riding so well the other week, and it turned out it was over 100 degrees!

Reed

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 10:55 AM, Broccoli Cog <tba...@gmail.com> wrote:
What do you use for a bike computer if anything at all? In my past cycling life I wouldn't think about leaving the house without my Garmin and a HRM. These days more often than not I simply don't bother with the Garmin. I must say it's pretty liberating. I've contemplated going back to a plain old bike computer that is simple to use and just keeps track of time and distance. Since I no longer have a desire to upload my rides online I wonder if a simple computer is best or maybe I don't even need one at all? Curious to know what other list members are doing.

Broccoli Cog

Jun 9, 2017, 2:39:47 PM6/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Good tip on the Element. Navigation tools are useful to me. I have tried using my iPhone and never really could figure out the RidewithGPS app. I too worry about battery drain.

Tim Butterfield

Jun 9, 2017, 2:42:35 PM6/9/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
>  Both ANT+ and BT are fed simultaneously by the Wahoo Fitness Blue SC sensor and a TickrX HR strap.

Just to clarify in case anyone wants this feature.  The prior version of BlueSC did not do this, though the current version does.  So, make sure to check the version of the device.

Tim

Eric Floden

Jun 9, 2017, 2:46:33 PM6/9/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have one on each bike.  This winter I had a recurring cold that did not let up and was happy to be prompted by these devices to ride more, even not feeling up to it.  I track monthly mileage and saw I still rode less those 10+ weeks.

And my M6 VDO has a feature likely available elsewhere, showing the % grade.  So if I come upon a steep hill, I want to quantify it!

EricF
Vancouver BC

REC

Jun 9, 2017, 2:59:05 PM6/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I used to have Cateye brand computer on my non-Riv bike (I'm only 2 months in on a Joe A.), and found it helpful--it pushed me when I was slowing down, for example, because I could SEE how slow I was going,  However, now I can "know" the same thing without the computer; I feel it.

Also, it's more fun to just ride as I feel and look around than just down to my computer.  I must admit, though, that I do turn on Strava at the beginning of the ride and check it when I think it's time to turn around to start home.  I have my mile markers (10 miles, 15 miles) so I really don't need to check it if I'm on a familiar route.  Interesting in that I'm not going any slower now, but a little faster  (OK, Strava does tell me that and I do look at the end of the ride...)

Roberta

Dave Small

Jun 9, 2017, 3:25:29 PM6/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I use a Cateye Strada Wireless on bikes that I won't use a headlight on, and a Cateye Velo 7 on bikes that I might.  The Velo 7 is wired so won't get its nose knocked out of joint by the headlight.  They're cheap, simple, and reliable, with battery life measured by the year, not hour.

Having said that, had I known I'd end up with so many bikes I might have opted for a single GPS unit that would track the same things the Cateyes do and that I could swap from bike to bike, but by the time I thought of that it was too late.

J Imler

Jun 9, 2017, 4:24:45 PM6/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I no longer use any computer tech on my bike and am happy with that decision.

Chris Birkenmaier

Jun 9, 2017, 4:26:37 PM6/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've read a few comments along that line.  I like having a computer on my bike but I use it for my own enjoyment and information and don't let it rule me or the ride.

William R.

Jun 9, 2017, 5:00:54 PM6/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I like the Cyclometer app on my iPhone. Sure that it is available for any smart phone. I turn it on before I head out, put my phone to sleep and put it in my saddle bag, when I get home I stop it and it has all the data I care about and then some.

Bill in Westchester, NY

Tim Butterfield

Jun 9, 2017, 5:08:23 PM6/9/17
On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 1:26 PM, Chris Birkenmaier <cbirk...@gmail.com> wrote:
I like having a computer on my bike but I use it for my own enjoyment and information and don't let it rule me or the ride.

Same here.  I don't use it for governing what I do on the ride either.  I do like having the data for post-ride analysis and comparison with prior rides.  It is convenient having them mounted where I can see them, but they could almost be in a pouch or pocket.  That's an _almost_ because the Edge 820 is also the readout for the Varia rear view radar notification that alerts me to vehicles approaching from behind.  And, for the iPhone, it is easier to determine when I can ignore a text or call if I know who it is before I stop to answer.

Tim

Garth

Jun 9, 2017, 5:34:51 PM6/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have not had any sort of mile or speed tracker since the Magnum PI days !   The first I had was fork mounted analog thing that was just like a car odometer, the second was a wired, battery operated Avocet Cyclometer.  Neat for awhile, then like all little gadgets they break or you come to your senses and just live your life like you always did, no gadgets required.   Look Ma . . . . now you see them, now you don't !

I have a "smartphone" and all, though I I fail to why they are called "smart or phones" since cell calls sound worse than any wired one did. Back when I got my first one I had unlimited data and all. I was out in the backroads around here on unfamiliar roads, I thought , hey, I'll look at my GPS map, surely that'll help. Umm, no, the GPS said I was where there was no road on the map. Ooops.  I just backtracked and rode on. That was the last time I bothered with trusting that !  Where the rubber meets the road . . .  yeah .... That's where it's at !

WETH

Jun 9, 2017, 6:45:43 PM6/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I also use cyclemeter app on my iPhone just to track my riding. I have data back several years. On occasion, it's been helpful to retrace a ride or share a route with a friend. But mostly it is to keep track of mileage for curiousiry sake.

Kai Vierstra

Jun 9, 2017, 9:29:25 PM6/9/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I recently uploaded the ride with gps app to my Samsung phone. Works great to track my routes. I haven't paid anything so I can't access many of the features but it did email me yesterday to say my Quickbeam and I have the 171st fastest time on the eastbound climb over the Queensboro bridge! I haven't been racing but that email's got me thinking I could break the top 100 with some effort. Probably not a good thing to be thinking...
-Kai
BK NY

Scott MacDonald

Jun 11, 2017, 1:08:34 PM6/11/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
No bike mounted computer, but I've got an Apple watch that can track rides either by itself, or can display the data coming from my phone. It's bike independent.  I use Cyclemeter as my app of choice. It's very customizable.
If I'm 'just riding' I just don't turn anything on.

Scott

blakcloud

Jun 11, 2017, 4:59:29 PM6/11/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I use a Cat Eye Enduro 8. It is nothing fancy but it does what I want it to do which is time and occasionally distance. There are functions I don't use so I wish it was even simpler. Since I have to remove it so it doesn't get stolen, I sometimes forget to put it back on which is a shame because it would be nice to know how many kilometers I ride per year.

Kellie

Jun 11, 2017, 6:08:00 PM6/11/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Reed. I 2nd all of Reed's observations about the Element.

On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 11:17:48 AM UTC-7, Reed Kennedy wrote:
[...]

Message has been deleted

Clayton

Jun 12, 2017, 10:17:31 AM6/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

I use Cateye Urbans on two bikes. It's fun to know how much carbon I am NOT putting into the air.

Clayton

Kieran J

Jun 12, 2017, 10:32:37 AM6/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've never really had a computer installed on a bike. I've thought about installing a basic, reliable computer on my road bike as I would like something that tracks distance, speed and odo, like the OP is also considering. Something that always works and requires no managing.

I do usually carry my iPhone, and use it mainly Google Maps and to take pictures. I occasionally use RidewithGPS, but half the time I forget to turn it on, or I lose the connection and it only records half the ride, or I worry it will kill the battery and I don't bother with it. I like having it as an option but it does sometimes feel like techno-creeping on my zen saddle time.

KJ

Patrick Moore

Jun 12, 2017, 12:10:52 PM6/12/17
to rbw-owners-bunch
Cyclemeter; the free version. I've tried others including Strava, but find Cyclemeter the best compromise of easy and comprehensive.

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 11:55 AM, Broccoli Cog <tba...@gmail.com> wrote:
What do you use for a bike computer if anything at all? In my past cycling life I wouldn't think about leaving the house without my Garmin and a HRM. These days more often than not I simply don't bother with the Garmin. I must say it's pretty liberating. I've contemplated going back to a plain old bike computer that is simple to use and just keeps track of time and distance. Since I no longer have a desire to upload my rides online I wonder if a simple computer is best or maybe I don't even need one at all? Curious to know what other list members are doing.

30% Supply and Demand discount, listmembers only, on all resume, LinkedIn, and writing services, until Demand equals Supply! And there's more! 10% kickback for any referral resulting in fully paid, list-price contract. And still more!  I am offering services in trade for a road bike, or frame and parts, that are period compatible with my AM hub, circa 1937 to 1961. See my website for what I do and what I charge; email for details.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten

Justin, Oakland

Jun 12, 2017, 5:42:19 PM6/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Related:
For those of us who may want to just use their iPhone for the few times we want a computer what case/mount would folks recommend?

-J

Bill Lindsay

Jun 12, 2017, 5:57:10 PM6/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
iPhone mounted to my handlebars?  yuck!  I toss it in my handlebar bag, or wrap it in a bandanna in a jersey pocket.  That way there's nothing dumb to distract me on my bars, so I can enjoy the ride, and then I can check my mileage when I get home.

If I get lost and need the GPS for directions, that's a good time to stop and pay attention to the screen anyway.

that's just me

BL in EC

Justin August

Jun 12, 2017, 6:02:49 PM6/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Most of the time I stash it in a stem sack/bartender. I just want to know what else is out there.

-J

Reed Kennedy

Jun 12, 2017, 6:11:46 PM6/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I dislike everything I've used to attach a phone to my handlebars and don't bother anymore. I either carry it in a bag or pocked with Strava running and ignore it like others have mentioned, or I'll use my Wahoo Elemnt.

That said, of the phone-on-bars things I've tried, I disliked this one the least:

It fits every phone, and will almost certainly fit whatever next year's phone is too, and the one after that. OTOH, the band does cover the screen some.

This won't work for rides of much duration, though. Running Strava with the screen on sucks down battery like nobody's business.

Best,
Reed

REC

Jun 12, 2017, 6:29:00 PM6/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Does either Strava or Cyclometer or any of the others reverse your trip with verbal or turn by turn "written" directions--perhaps I missed it?  Right now, I only go exactly where I know I can backtrack, so I don't get lost.  Or, do you use Google Maps or Waze for directions?  Road directions, though, could be different than MUP directions for a return trip.

Thanks,
Roberta

On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 5:57:10 PM UTC-4, Bill Lindsay wrote:

...If I get lost and need the GPS for directions, that's a good time to stop and pay attention to the screen anyway.

Bill Lindsay

Jun 12, 2017, 6:42:14 PM6/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Roberta

I don't know if any of the apps spit out a reverse cue sheet based on where you rode or give you turn by turn directions to take you home after you've rambled yourself lost.  I would name the app "i-breadcrumbs".

When I stop to look at the screen to find my way, I'm using the screen as a paperless map, just like I would have done with a paper map.

BL in EC

Deacon Patrick

Jun 12, 2017, 6:51:43 PM6/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Roberta, I use paper map and compass, with iPhone as back up in the event I have no idea where I am.

The basics of navigation are far simpler than "remember the exact route I took to get here, wherever here is." If I know where I want to go, and I can figure out where I am, how do I connect the two? No need to remember anything. As Bill points out, you can use the screen the same as a paper map.

With abandon,
Patrick

REC

Jun 12, 2017, 7:02:17 PM6/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks, Bill and Patrick.  That's what I thought...  I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Bill, I also thought of needing an app called I-breadcrumbs, more for getting back out of a hiking trail--you know how they can branch off.

Roberta

Tim Gavin

Jun 13, 2017, 9:35:52 AM6/13/17
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have a Rokform case for my iPhone 6.  I'm pretty happy with it; it protects my phone from small drops, and it has a metal back so it keeps the phone from bending when I sit down with it in my pocket (broke my first iPhone6 that way, which was in an otterbox case).
It has a twist-lock mount on the back of the case, and I got a matching mount for the handlebar.  It's a low-profile mount (doesn't take up much bar space) and it holds pretty securely (it has a lock tab in addition to the 45-degree twist required).

But, I still managed to break my phone with it!

I did a nice, uptempo ride on our regional bike path (Cedar Valley Nature Trail), and I stopped for a quick break.  I took my phone off the handlebars to check my speed thus far, but my hands were still tingly from the aggressive ride that I dropped the phone right on the pavement when I unlocked it from the bar mount!  D'oh!  It landed flat on its face and cracked the glass.

So, my takeaway is that even with a super secure case and mount, attaching a phone to the handlebar is a dangerous proposition.  Trying to handle a bike and phone at the same time--even while stopped--can be too much for a klutz like me.

I am very happy with the Rokform pro case otherwise, though.  I added a stick-on glass screen protector after that drop from my bars, and this phone has survived since then.
Rokform's cases have a magnet just below the twist-lock; some of their mounts use this magnet instead of or in addition to the twist-lock.
The magnet was strong enough to keep my phone stuck to the top of my friend's pickup truck on a ~20 mile drive home from a float trip!  Did I mention I'm calamity-prone?  But in this scenario, the phone actually survived my negligence.  Nice case!

Stuart Lovinggood

Jun 13, 2017, 11:30:46 AM6/13/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I enjoy using a Pebble watch + MapMyRide or Strava. The watch automatically pairs with the apps and gives time/speed/distance data. Not always super convenient (or safe) to look at while moving, but also allows me to read text messages/notifications and keep my phone stashed away. With the same sentiment as some others on this thread, I'm really only interested in tracking my routes for record keeping and for curiosity and this setup worked great for that.

Unfortunately, Pebble no longer exists as a company so software support is unclear into the future. My watch still works fine and you can pick one up for cheap from various online retailers.

Ed Carolipio

Jun 13, 2017, 2:04:14 PM6/13/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have a Garmin 810 which I bought as my first GPS bike computer and now use habitually. It's definitely way more than I need. I use it as an independent measurement of speed and temperature, which come in handy on most rides, and the clock is useful to me as a commuter. I've experimented with the advanced features - turn-by-turn and real time tracking can be nice - but for most rides I don't bother since I could use that setup time to ride instead.

I like the Garmin since I can move it from bike to bike without having to futz with sensors and cables (and actually not having to futz with those things in general.) I don't want to mount my phone on the handlebar since I don't want to place it at risk, for obvious reasons. If I rode only one bike, I'd probably just use a traditional bike computer as well.

--Ed C.