Bottom Bracket Thread Cleaning

islaysteve

Nov 25, 2011, 4:24:21 PM11/25/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to be changing the BB on my Bleriot (RBW content!), and I want to clean up the threads in the shell first.  I believe I used anti-seize compound when I installed the current BB, and it's gritty in there.  What's a good way to do this?  I'm thinking that a small, fine brass brush might work?  Thanks in advance.  Steve

hobie

Nov 25, 2011, 4:43:17 PM11/25/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Phil Wood suggest Naphtha and an old toothbrush.. Dry cleaners use it.

Bill M.

Nov 25, 2011, 11:36:10 PM11/25/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
If you don't happen to have a can of naptha around, remember that it's
the main solvent in WD40. Mineral spirits (paint thinner) should work
too.

Bill

Tim McNamara

Nov 26, 2011, 12:43:31 AM11/26/11

On Nov 25, 2011, at 3:24 PM, islaysteve wrote:

> I'm going to be changing the BB on my Bleriot (RBW content!), and I want to clean up the threads in the shell first. I believe I used anti-seize compound when I installed the current BB, and it's gritty in there. What's a good way to do this? I'm thinking that a small, fine brass brush might work? Thanks in advance. Steve

I usually just use a shop rag, with some WD-40 as needed for "gunk."

islaysteve

Nov 26, 2011, 5:40:04 AM11/26/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the tips, guys.  Paint thinner didn't seem to work too well, so I thought a stiffer brush might be needed.  I can try WD40 and if that doesn't work, can get Naptha at the hardware store or HD without too much trouble.  Steve

James Valiensi

Nov 26, 2011, 9:28:14 AM11/26/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hey,
I recommend you have the LBS run a set of BB taps thru your shell. That will clean it up real nice.
James Valiensi, PE
Northridge, CA
H818.775.1847 M.818.585.1796

On Nov 26, 2011, at 2:40 AM, islaysteve wrote:

Thanks for the tips, guys.  Paint thinner didn't seem to work too well, so I thought a stiffer brush might be needed.  I can try WD40 and if that doesn't work, can get Naptha at the hardware store or HD without too much trouble.  Steve

Bill M.

Nov 26, 2011, 9:55:32 AM11/26/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thread taps will clean up the threads if they are deformed, but the
shop would probably appreciate it if the abrasive grit was out of the
threads first.

Bill

On Nov 26, 6:28 am, James Valiensi <valie...@mac.com> wrote:
> Hey,
> I recommend you have the LBS run a set of BB taps thru your shell. That will clean it up real nice.
> James Valiensi, PE
> Northridge, CA
> H818.775.1847 M.818.585.1796
>
> On Nov 26, 2011, at 2:40 AM, islaysteve wrote:
>

> > Thanks for the tips, guys.  Paint thinner didn't seem to work too well, so I thought a stiffer brush might be needed.  I can try WD40 and if that doesn't work, can get Naptha at the hardware store or HD without too much trouble.  Steve
>
> > --

> > To view this discussion on the web visithttps://groups.google.com/d/msg/rbw-owners-bunch/-/QtPg8Ool-d0J.

Marc Schwartz

Nov 25, 2011, 4:41:35 PM11/25/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Your friendly LBS may be willing to run their taps through for you. If so, be sure to buy your stuff there whenever you can ( goes without saying). Brass or stiff nylon brush is also good, use radially ( follow the thread in a circular motion) rather than in n' out.
Marc
I'm going to be changing the BB on my Bleriot (RBW content!), and I want to clean up the threads in the shell first. I believe I used anti-seize compound when I installed the current BB, and it's gritty in there. What's a good way to do this? I'm thinking that a small, fine brass brush might work? Thanks in advance. Steve

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rbw-owners-bunch/-/sEiyJPKEhV0J.

bionnaki

Nov 26, 2011, 7:48:52 AM11/26/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
or just chase the threads.

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 4:40 AM, islaysteve <alki...@verizon.net> wrote:
Thanks for the tips, guys.  Paint thinner didn't seem to work too well, so I thought a stiffer brush might be needed.  I can try WD40 and if that doesn't work, can get Naptha at the hardware store or HD without too much trouble.  Steve

islaysteve

Nov 26, 2011, 4:07:03 PM11/26/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks again for the helpful tips.  Mission accomplished:  Cleaned the threads with WD40/toothbrush/rag and then chased them with the previous BB.  Did my Small Business Saturday part by buying the replacement BB at an LBS.  Had to go to 4 before I found my size, but I don't mind that.  It's one advantage to living in an urban area, that there are actually that many and more independent LBS' within close driving range.  Kudos to Silver Cycles of Silver Spring MD for having it in stock, and to the friendly staff who helped me.  Got the bike together and had a nice little ride in our unseasonably-warm weather.  I hope everyone else's weekend is going as well.  Steve

pruckelshaus

Nov 27, 2011, 8:33:07 AM11/27/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have (somewhere) a "poor man's thread chaser".  I took an old set of Shimano cartridge BB cups and carefully Dremeled (using a cutting wheel) a 3mm or so "notch" across the threads in 2 locations.  Thread the cups into the frame and any gunk from the shell should be "caught" in the notch.

Pete

islaysteve

Nov 27, 2011, 8:02:39 PM11/27/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That sounds good.  Thanks Pete.

cyclotourist

Nov 27, 2011, 8:07:45 PM11/27/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have a  nylon bottle brush that works really well.  I splash some mineral spirits on it, and go to work:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/2362026686/

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 5:02 PM, islaysteve <alki...@verizon.net> wrote:
That sounds good.  Thanks Pete.

Cheers,