Dave Eggers reviews Just Ride

fulf

Jul 25, 2012, 8:26:22 AM7/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Dave Eggers reviews Just Ride in this week's New York Times Book Review. It's clear that he understands the book and the pleasure of simply riding a bike. I enjoyed his description of showing up for a casual ride with a friend only to see the friend dressed in a tight shirt with advertisements, a helmet with stripes or flames and spandex leg enclosures- all for a ten mile ride on a bike path. He states that bike riding should be a "ludicrously enjoyable means of getting around." He writes an excellent review-even the title, "Easy Riders" is right on.  Bill

Mike

Jul 25, 2012, 9:52:02 AM7/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Is the review posted online? I didn't notice it when I skimmed that section this past weekend and can't find it on the NY Times website. I did see the review of the new book by Eggers and was thinking about 826 Valencia and how there's something about it and Eggers reminds me of RBWHQ and Grant.

I did come across this letter to the editor by Grant from 2004.

--mike

Addison Wilhite

Jul 25, 2012, 10:38:48 AM7/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
If you've seen the premise of the latest book by eggers you know he is aware of the bicycle industry in this country.

Addison
Reno

Sent from my iPad

fulf

Jul 25, 2012, 1:56:29 PM7/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I don't know if the review is online yet. I received a paper copy yesterday and it is dated 7/29.

Rick

Jul 25, 2012, 2:48:34 PM7/25/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
That is great, thanks for the heads up.

gep7...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2012, 4:18:35 PM7/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I just found out about it, too. I'm glad he liked it. It is coming out in Sunday's Book Review section of the NYT. It will make up for the few dozen or so who think I'm an idiot based on that radio interview. I'm not saying I'm NOT an idiot, just mean to say --- I don't even know Dave Eggers, but you can bet I like him.
This morning at 3:30 am California time I launch into 20 consecutive ten-minute radio interviews across the country. I'm expecting every host to leap to the helmet issue (low hanging fruit). I don't blame 'em, I would, too. I DO say how to wear one, not to trust 'em, and even recommend a new design, in Just Ride. I'm not anti-helmets, but I have my misgivings, is all. G

Joe K

Jul 25, 2012, 5:39:25 PM7/25/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
Grant, don't let 'em (the radio interviewers) spend too much time on
the helmet thing...you have too many other good points to make.

Joe

Mike

Jul 25, 2012, 5:43:28 PM7/25/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
I wonder if they're selling Just Ride at 826 Valencia. Seems like an
approprite book for them. I think it would be really neat to see some
kind of 826/RBW collaboration although I have no idea what it would
look like.

http://826valencia.org/

--mike

Rick

Jul 26, 2012, 8:54:01 AM7/26/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
That Eggers is reviewing Just Ride this week is particularly good
timing, what with the positive review for Eggers new novel appearing
just last week in the NY Time book review . He's witty, practical,
motivated to make a difference, and a fine writer. Good karma all
around.

David Spranger

Jul 27, 2012, 3:25:17 PM7/27/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Robert Barr

Jul 27, 2012, 11:01:03 PM7/27/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The Eggers review was timely. I am still suffering a stitch in my side from encountering an apparition in turquoise blue coming at me on a bike lane in a normally quiet residential neighborhood yesterday. I had just come off the tow path and was on my way home when I saw it coming at me. It had been a wonderful ride home. It was quiet. It was hot, but seersucker, shorts, and sandals, made it comfortable. And then he appeared. The matching ensemble was nice - but the slick, aero (I presume) shoe covers in perfectly coordinated blue... almost made me run into the curb. I wonder if they make those things for Chacos...