Shimano CX70s

Ginz

Aug 5, 2012, 1:26:24 AM8/5/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Is anyone running the new Shimano CS70 canti brakes?  They look interesting with the linear springs but the pads don't seem to be standard.  I would hate to give up on my salmon koolstop pads.

They are about half the price of Pauls and might be a good option.

Any thoughts?

Ginz

ted

Aug 5, 2012, 2:38:43 PM8/5/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
If you mean the cx70 it looks like the non standard pad holders take
normal road pads.
You probably want to ask riv, or perhaps someone here has em and will
pipe in, to be sure.
Anyway if the pads are standard short/road ones you can still swap em
out for your preferred salmon pad.

Scott G.

Aug 5, 2012, 4:23:36 PM8/5/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The CX-70s come with Mavic sourced rim destroying pads.
Koolstop Shimano pattern road pads fit fine.

Doug Magney

Aug 5, 2012, 8:30:41 PM8/5/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have the CX70s on my Hunq with no issues. Pretty straightforward to install if you read the directions, but not exactly intuitive. Had a few problems with squeeling, but hard to say if they're particular to this brake or attributable to cantis in general - not enough of an expert to say for certain. Wheel removal is a breeze with these brakes.

Robert F. Harrison

Aug 5, 2012, 8:42:29 PM8/5/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I've got a set on a non-Riv bike and they work just fine. Since the bike they are on is my 26" wheeled constant evolution frame I'll probably put the CX70s on my Hunq when that arrives and swap the CR720 from the build kit to this "project bike." In any case I didn't even have any trouble with squealing somehow managing to get it right the first time (which doesn't often happen with me).

Do keep the various spaces and such though as I had to respace everything I went to a wider and stronger rim while building a new rear wheel.

Good brakes though.

Bob

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Doug Magney <yenga...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have the CX70s on my Hunq with no issues. Pretty straightforward to install if you read the directions, but not exactly intuitive. Had a few problems with squeeling, but hard to say if they're particular to this brake or attributable to cantis in general - not enough of an expert to say for certain.  Wheel removal is a breeze with these brakes.

Robert Harrison
rfhar...@gmail.com
statrix.com

Ginz

Aug 6, 2012, 10:34:22 AM8/6/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Are they $129 good?  :)

Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery

Aug 6, 2012, 5:10:36 PM8/6/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
There is a cheaper version, cx50, I think?

Mitch Browne

Aug 6, 2012, 5:37:38 PM8/6/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The CX50 doesn't use standard interchangeable road pads.

Art's Cyclery has the CX50 on clearance for $20.

Mitch Browne
San Luis Obispo, CA

Shimano CX50 Cantilever Brak

Ginz

Aug 7, 2012, 11:19:55 AM8/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, everyone.  If the CX70's take standard "dura type" inserts, then that is very nice.  I'm still in a bit of sticker shock.

Steve Park

Aug 9, 2012, 3:49:47 PM8/9/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I am impressed with the CX70 canti's.
My favorite part of these are the nicely made pivots which eliminate play on the canti stud - makes for solid and quiet braking.  I use dura salmon pads with a little toe-in.  Setting these up is relatively straight forward as canti brakes go.  I bent the springs a little to give the right lever resistance.

Compared to other canti's I've used:
-similar function to Bruce Gordon canti's, but nowhere near as pretty.
-a little better than the IRD Cafams, which are very nice.
-much better than TRP EuroX and CR720s.

Steve Park

Aug 9, 2012, 3:57:52 PM8/9/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Spend money on good brakes, and save money elsewhere.  Better stoppers make riding more fun.

Ginz

Oct 4, 2012, 9:38:40 AM10/4/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
Having acquired a set of the CX70s from another list member and
installing them on the front end of the Hunqapillar, I thought I'd
give a quick update. I like the brakes. The CX70 combined with the
crown-mounted cable eliminated the horrible chatter problem I had with
several other brakes. The ability to open them up wide to remove the
wheel is a definite plus. The feel is very good --- maybe not as good
as the best V's --- but very good. The setup was relatively easy even
though Shimano's instructions are a little confusing. I followed some
of their instructions and some of my own, as is my usual approach.

The road-style pad and holder is very easy to setup and center on the
rim. But, I really do miss being able to use the Kool-Stop mountain
pads with the extra surface area. These brakes were apparently
designed for cyclocross bikes so I guess it is not fair to call this a
negative.

Overall, great breaks, a little pricey, but for that money I find them
to be significantly nicer than the Tektro CR720.

Happy Braking,
Ginz

Chris

Oct 4, 2012, 1:16:41 PM10/4/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update!  My set of CX70 is still in the boxes.  I may have to end up selling them...

ekoral

Oct 4, 2012, 4:51:26 PM10/4/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I just ordered a set of the CX50s with an attempt to use 650bs on a 26" frame due to their large amount of vertical pad adjustment. I'll let y'all know if it works. they seem like very nice brakes and the pads are totally replaceable with cartridge style pads. if I end up liking them a lot, I may end up upgrading to the CX70s. if I do, I'd love to buy them second hand from a list member...

Ginz

Oct 4, 2012, 9:20:21 PM10/4/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I forgot one thing -- I skipped the stock pads and went straight to Kool Stop salmon.  I'm quite satisfied!