Nitto Campee Front Rack With Removable Pannier Supports

Darin G.

May 1, 2012, 10:58:05 PM5/1/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Anyone have experience with these racks?  I like the idea of being able to take the pannier supports off when I don't need them and just support by Berthoud bag, but wonder if its stable once the panniers are mounted.  Seems like it might flex, a lot.  Rube Goldberg machine or elegant solution?

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=146_240&products_id=2290
Message has been deleted

Zack

May 2, 2012, 9:39:42 AM5/2/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hey Darin -

No experience w/ the front rack, but I had the rear rack with the pannier supports.  I really liked it.  It was a bit heavy w/ the supports on, so I mostly didn't leave them on.  I would add them when I knew I was going to need the panniers for a longer trip.

Esteban

May 2, 2012, 11:58:01 AM5/2/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I've used a front and a rear of the Campee low-riders, attached to the canti studs and using the Nitto adapters.  I've toured with the fronts, and commuted with the rears.  All together, its relatively heavy, as most Nitto touring racks are.  But Nitto also overbuilds, so they are very, very sturdy.  A coupla photos:

Earl Grey

May 3, 2012, 9:41:40 AM5/3/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
I considered the Campee front rack, but then went with a Nitto M-12
and a completely separate stainless Tubus low-rider instead. The low
rider can be added and removed probably as easily as the pannier
supports on the campee. I don't know the weight comparison, for the
full set up, but run only the mini rack 95% of the time. What made me
go this route are reports I have read (in BQ and on the net) that
front racks that attach to the drop-outs may stiffen the fork and
negatively impact the ride quality.

Not my own bike, but this photo inspired my setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ah_blake/6592931659/in/photostream/

Gernot
> http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=146_2...

Darin G.

May 3, 2012, 7:53:38 PM5/3/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Earl,

I'm assuming you're referring to the Tara or Nova and I must admit that this approach is growing on me (at considerably less than  the Campee) as I already have the Mini-Front.  I assume you mounted the Tubus to the  forks with clamps?

I haven't read the BQ article you reference, but I'm not sure I follow the point about attaching a rack to the drop outs and stiffening the fork in an undesirable way.  The Tubus attacks to the drop outs.  Clarify?

DG.

Thomas Lynn Skean

May 3, 2012, 10:09:05 PM5/3/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I've got the tara on with clamps provided by tubus (http://www.thetouringstore.com/TUBUS/Fit%20Solutions/LM_1-250-pix.jpg)

Works fine. Though being paranoid I felt weird clamping anything onto my beautiful Hillborne's fork, I can detect no ill effects from having done so.

I suspect the "stiffening" comment regards the fact that with the mini+tara setup, you disconnect the tara completely when not using the low-rider, and thus have nothing attached to the dropout 95% of the time. On the Campee setup, you always have something attached to the dropout, even when you remove low-rider support.

Yours,
Thomas Lynn Skean

ted

May 5, 2012, 11:28:20 AM5/5/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
I don't buy BQ so of course I don't know what they say but ...
It seems that forks will flex as they are loaded and unloaded by
hitting bumps and holes.
With the taper of the fork blade and the bend down near the dropout,
the flexing may be more down there than up near the crown.
If you attach a rack that makes the fork into something more like a
triangulated truss, that could make it stiffer which might affect ride
and handling.
I think that sort of effect would be negligible compared to a large
low pressure tire.

On May 3, 7:09 pm, Thomas Lynn Skean <thomaslynnsk...@comcast.net>

Michael Hechmer

May 5, 2012, 1:18:18 PM5/5/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
  Ditto for me.  I ordered the silver one from Europe, but the truth is that as soon as you put the pannier on, the rack is completely covered.  It took a lot of time and fiddling to get the Tubus positioned correctly the first time.  I'd recommend taking a picture of the connections once you have them dialed in so the second time you put the rack on it will just be four allen bolts and no fiddling.  Plus I can now move the low rider between my single and tandem.

Michael

dougP

May 6, 2012, 1:12:08 AM5/6/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've used a crappy aluminum bolt together front low rider rack that
clamps to the fork, and doubt it affected fork stiffness. It did seem
flimsy enough that I decided something better was in order. The Tubus
Duo is quite elegant, and installs easily BUT REQUIRES mid fork
eyelets. I added these to my Atlantis, but was warned beforehand by
RBWHQ against modifying my fork. I don't always do as I'm told but it
makes rack installation a whole lot easier than clamping. The bike
rides and handles wonderfully with a couple of bags up front. Highly
recommend that set-up. YMMV.

dougP
> > >http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=146_2...- Hide quoted text -

Earl Grey

May 6, 2012, 5:02:56 PM5/6/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, I mean the Nova, and the bike I am using on has mid fork braze-
ons, but I have used clams before w/o problems on other bikes. Some
argue that clamps are stronger...

In terms of fork stiffening, what Thomas Skean said. :)

Gernot