What Now? and other books.

Mike

Jul 10, 2012, 11:01:56 PM7/10/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I saw that RBW is now selling What Now? I imagine it's gotta be pretty go for them to go to the trouble of carrying it. Anyone here read it or intent to read it? I've only ever read one book by Anne Patchett--State of Wonder. It was okay. I need to read Bel Canto as I've had a lot of people recommend it.

Since this tends to be a time of year where people get away for bike camping and vacation, I'm wondering what people are reading or planning to read this summer? I just started Buried in the Sky and really like it. In fact, I need to pull myself away from the computer and spend some time reading it.

--mike

Peter Pesce

Jul 11, 2012, 10:47:07 AM7/11/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I would check it out on Riv's say so, as they have a not steered me wrong yet.

On a related note, I really wish Riv would set up an Amazon link to books they sell. That way I would be able to buy the Kindle version from the "recommender" and they could still get a small commission off them, at least. (and I could buy hard copies without having to wait for the pony express to walk them out to the east coast from RBWHQ).
Is there any down side to this, other than sending business to "the man"?

-Pete (needing instant gratification) in CT

Mike

Jul 11, 2012, 12:38:10 PM7/11/12
On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:47:07 AM UTC-7, Peter Pesce wrote:
On a related note, I really wish Riv would set up an Amazon link to books they sell.
Is there any down side to this, other than sending business to "the man"?

-Pete (needing instant gratification) in CT

Agreed. I love Powell's here in Portland, and smaller bookstores but I do have a Kindle and some books I prefer to buy for it rather than a hard copy. Also, I really like getting the NY Review of Books on Kindle. And I love bringing my Kindle on bike camping trips.

--mike

Scott G.

Jul 11, 2012, 12:44:26 PM7/11/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Reading now,
Read "Road to Valor", which got me interested in Italian topics,
so just finished "The Conformist" by Alberto Moravia
now reading "Kaputt" by Curzio Malaparte.

I suggest reading Conformist, Kaputt then Valor,
to end with a happy story.

pb

Jul 11, 2012, 6:18:30 PM7/11/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
To complement our trip to Normandy last spring, I'm reading Citizens of London, about American diplomats etc who lived in London during WWII -- strongly recommended if you'd like to know more than jingoist movies teach us about the history of US involvement in that war.  Accessible, well written.  Road to Valour is next in the line-up.

Peter

dougP

Jul 11, 2012, 6:31:43 PM7/11/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
I recently finished Joe Parkin's "A Dog in a Hat". It's an
interesting corollary to Just Ride, in that it's a detailed journal
from inside pro bike racing in Europe and does not paint the picture
as especially flattering or heroic. Actually seems quite a grim
life.

Intro by Bob Roll, begins "I did tell Joe Parkin to go to Belgium. I
did not, however, tell him to stay."

dougP
> > --mike- Hide quoted text -

C.J. Filip

Jul 12, 2012, 5:30:33 PM7/12/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
Watched The Pacific series which prompted me to read "With the Old
Breed" and "Helmet for My Pillow." Sheepishly, I inter-library loaned
"What Now?"

BQ came out so that put some of my reading on hold.

Leslie

Jul 12, 2012, 5:56:41 PM7/12/12
On Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:30:33 PM UTC-4, C.J. Filip wrote:
> Watched The Pacific series which prompted me to read "With the Old
> Breed" and "Helmet for My Pillow." Sheepishly, I inter-library loaned
> "What Now?"

A former coworker (recently retired), was prior-military (Army officer), a big military-history buff, had both of those books, had loaned them to me (I'm a former enlisted Marine, more of a local history buff than military history, but still interested); were good books. Now, I need to go back and watch that series...

Zack

Jul 12, 2012, 6:03:59 PM7/12/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
If I remember correctly you can't do affiliate sales for kindle downloads.  I don't know if they have changed that rule but that's the way it was until recently.

RJM

Jul 12, 2012, 6:47:52 PM7/12/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I got to tell you, I thought The Rider by Tim Krabbe was excellent.  It has to do with a bike race in Europe, but the book is exceptionally well written. Since buying it a couple of years ago, I have read it three times.

Mike

Jul 12, 2012, 8:48:13 PM7/12/12
On Thursday, July 12, 2012 3:47:52 PM UTC-7, RJM wrote:
I got to tell you, I thought The Rider by Tim Krabbe was excellent.  It has to do with a bike race in Europe, but the book is exceptionally well written. Since buying it a couple of years ago, I have read it three times.

I keep meaning to read that. Thanks for the reminder. I read the sample of the Laurent Fignon biography and that seemed good. I've actually practically reread Just Ride again. Lots of great stuff in there.

--mike