Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Manuel Acosta

no leída,
9 jul 2012, 23:11:339/7/12
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Figure it's just about time to get ready for touring season. Tommy and I are planning to train/bus/drive/fly (we haven't really figured this part out) up to Washington and biking down to San Francisco. Looking to try to do it in a week and a half. Anyone have any suggestions on routes or things to see? Also curious about the weather while riding down, musa splat weather? Basically going off the fly and just winging it for this tour.
-Manny

Frank

no leída,
10 jul 2012, 10:45:5610/7/12
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Manny,

We have friends (http://carfreedays.com/) in the throes of a two-tandem trip with their kids right now, riding from Seattle to San Francisco. They're taking this route:

There are of course lots of other options, but from following along on their Flickr feed, it looks like they're having a great time, and so far there hasn't been much commentary about gaps or infirmities in the route, though I obviously don't speak for their experience.

Sounds like a great adventure you're planning.

Frank (in Seattle)

Mike

no leída,
10 jul 2012, 13:41:4210/7/12
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I can understand the allure of riding the coast to SF but really, if I were you guys, I'd head to the Cascades from Seattle and ride down to Crater Lake/Klammath Falls and then catch the train home. But you can always save that for another trip.

I think if you're willing to put in long days you could do it in a week and a half. Like Northern CA the coast can be damp, foggy and cold but it's also amazingly beautiful. I've ridden the OR coast on multiple brevets and there's a nice shoulder. My friends who have toured it always give the thumbs up to the cheap hiker/biker sites.

Whatever you do, I'm sure it's gonna be a great time. Looking forward to the pictures.

--mike

On Monday, July 9, 2012 8:11:33 PM UTC-7, Manuel Acosta wrote:

William

no leída,
10 jul 2012, 14:25:1810/7/12
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I used the book:  "Bicycling the Pacific Coast".  Tom Kirkendall and Vicky Spring are the authors.  I'll look on my bookshelf and see if I can find it.  If I can find it you can have it.  I've taken Amtrak to Seattle.  The Amtrak bike box was huge.  Bars sideways and pedals off, roll it in!  I think it still works that way.  Your beloved basket might be an issue, though, so prepare to clip some zipties and re-zip in Seattle.

On Monday, July 9, 2012 8:11:33 PM UTC-7, Manuel Acosta wrote:

Michael_S

no leída,
11 jul 2012, 13:31:5311/7/12
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
there is another book with good route info published by Lonely Planet

Cycling USA: West Coast   I've used data from both this book and the Tom Kirkendall and Vicky Spring book.

I've only done the Northern California section, and had a great time.
~mike

Andy Smitty Schmidt

no leída,
11 jul 2012, 16:22:4411/7/12
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Mike's Crater Lk/ Klamath Lk idea. I like the ocean/coast ok but for some reason the inland route has more appeal to me. This Seattle to Portland through the backdoor route looks interesting. Maybe some sort of east/west hopping over the Cascades. Another over the Cascades route that's been on my mind is McKenzie Pass

--Andy

On Monday, July 9, 2012 8:11:33 PM UTC-7, Manuel Acosta wrote:

Mike

no leída,
11 jul 2012, 16:32:5111/7/12
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hey Manny, once you've nailed down dates and a route (the coast is pretty straightforward), email me. I might be able to meet you out there for a night depending where you end up staying on the OR coast. Really anywhere between Astoria and Pacific City are reachable to me from Portland. I'd love to meet up for a night of camping if your touring schedule and my days off align.

--mike

On Monday, July 9, 2012 8:11:33 PM UTC-7, Manuel Acosta wrote:

Mike

no leída,
11 jul 2012, 16:36:3411/7/12
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:22:44 PM UTC-7, Andy Smitty Schmidt wrote:
+1 for Mike's Crater Lk/ Klamath Lk idea. I like the ocean/coast ok but for some reason the inland route has more appeal to me. This Seattle to Portland through the backdoor route looks interesting. Maybe some sort of east/west hopping over the Cascades. Another over the Cascades route that's been on my mind is McKenzie Pass

--Andy

And yeah, McKenzie Pass is awesome. I should get to ride it next month when my wife and I are in Sisters.

dougP

no leída,
11 jul 2012, 18:19:2311/7/12
a RBW Owners Bunch
Manny:

A week and a half is way too fast for Seattle to the Bay Area.
Depending on routing and whether or not you visit the San Juan
Islands, a week goes by quickly in Washington, and the Oregon coast is
most of another week. The border to the Bay Area is worthy of 5-6
days as well. This assumes no days off and ticking off 50-60 miles
per day. If you start island hopping, allow a couple of days per
island.

This is world class touring country so don't try to do too many miles
and wind up skipping side trips. Heck, when you think about it, a
bike tour is all one big side trip. Make sure you enjoy it.

The Adventure Cycling maps are well routed, and combined with the
guides others have mentioned you can come up with a great trip. For
getting there, look into one-way rental cars. You can score great
deals on rentals between major airports (e.g., SFO to SEATAC) but youu
gotta be a bit careful what you get. During the summer they get lots
of people flying in to one place and dropping the car off elsewhere.
It just depends on who has cars stacking up when you want to go.

Did the San Juans, Olympic Peninsula and Oregon coast down to Florence
a couple of years ago in July & August and had zero rain days.

dougP
Responder a todos
Responder al autor
Reenviar