Larger brake levers for moustache bars?

Smitty-A-Go-Go

Dec 2, 2011, 12:43:12 PM12/2/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Current AHH cockpit is Moustache bars with Shimano Tiagra Road Levers.  The levers work fine but feel a little small. The lever feels too close to the bar. I want it the spacing to feel more like the Tektro Mtn Levers on my Albatross setup on the Surly. I've toyed with the lever position on the bar without satisfactory results. Has anyone tried to upsize their road brake levers? If so, what did you use?

Thanks, Smitty

Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery

Dec 2, 2011, 7:09:19 PM12/2/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Maybe ream out the clamp on some mountain levers to fit the m-bar?

William

Dec 2, 2011, 7:24:42 PM12/2/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Whenever I grab the brakes of an older non-aero set of brakelevers on drop bars, I find them objectionably Large.  On M-bars they might be just right.  Non-aero levers look great on moustache bars and the cable routing is in some ways cleaner than aero levers on M-bars, at least to my eye.

William

Dec 2, 2011, 7:32:34 PM12/2/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Andrew Johnson

Dec 2, 2011, 2:52:06 PM12/2/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I mount my (non-aero) brake levers further out on the moustache bars than generally suggested, and this has an effect of putting the levers a bit further away from the bar, given the way the bars curve. I'm using Shimano 600s on the Quickbeam, and old SunTours on the LongLow.

- Andrew, Berkely

Forrest

Dec 2, 2011, 11:52:22 PM12/2/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
+1 on the Dia Compe Gran Compe 202 Non Aero Brake Levers. I've got 'em on my moustache bars and really like 'em.   -- Forrest