Nitto rear racks vs. Topeak racks with slide on trunk bag attachment tracks.

lungimsam

Aug 19, 2012, 12:15:32 PM8/19/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
So, being new to Riv-stylings, I was wondering if there is a reason to go Nitto on the racks on my Rivbike vs. the rack I have been using that has a track where the trunk bag slides on to securely connect to rack. It is very quick and easy on and off.

Was wondering how you all secure things to the Nitto's, and if there are any advantages that I might like over the Topeak rack system I use:

Jim Cloud

Aug 19, 2012, 1:05:43 PM8/19/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nitto racks are beautiful and sturdy. If, however, you're satisfied
with the Topeak rack you've been using, why change?

Jim Cloud
Tucson, AZ

Seth Vidal

Aug 19, 2012, 1:10:00 PM8/19/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

+1 to both. Nitto racks are great but if are happy with the racks and bags you have then stick with them.

-sv

lungimsam

Aug 19, 2012, 1:25:56 PM8/19/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

How do you attach bags to Nitto racks? There are loops in the botom of one bag I saw with snaps. Is that how it is done?

Also, are there any waterproof bags you use?

ted

Aug 19, 2012, 1:42:20 PM8/19/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
I use a dry bag in a Wald basket zip tied to a Nitto rack. A bungie
net keeps the dry bag from getting out.

Peter Pesce

Aug 19, 2012, 2:01:41 PM8/19/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I use the Topeak system on my LHT commuter / utility bike and find it very convenient. I have a couple of the topeak accessories, and have managed to jury rig a few other things to work on the track system (like a waterproof plastic ammo box.)
On my Rivs, however, it's all nitto and canvas and leather. Just feels right somehow.
Regardless, what works for you is what's best.

Pete in CT

lungimsam

Aug 19, 2012, 3:01:04 PM8/19/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The only thing is, I need to get something waterproof from now on.

My existing bag got wet in the rain, and the inside, too.

I like the canvas/leather/Riv-ish bags, but are they waterproof?

PATRICK MOORE

Aug 19, 2012, 3:41:46 PM8/19/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I can't speak for Rivendells, but I've filled an older Carradice
Nelson longflap with the hose and had nary a leak. I am curious if Riv
bags are as watertight.

(Just washed -- warm water and dish detergent -- a grubby Little Joe
and the result was fabric that felt much lighter and more supple --
indicating perhaps that I'd washed some proofing out of it?)
> --

"When in Rome, do as they done in Milledgeville."

Flannery O'Connor

Patrick Moore, Albuquerque, NM, USA
For professional resumes, contact Patrick Moore, ACRW
http://resumespecialties.com/index.html