Rivs by city

Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery

Sep 6, 2012, 11:56:30 AM9/6/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I see various threads on here about Rivendell's representation in various parts of the country. We seem to have a better than average showing of Riv here in the Twin Cities.

Back in late 2004 or early 2005 when I bought my first Riv, an Atlantis, I thought it was pretty unique. Soon after I started riding it, though, I met lots of Riv riders by pure happenstance. First was a guy who called himself "Single Speed Steve" on a Quickbeam - we flagged each other down on West River Road. Some short time later on the light-rail, I saw a guy with a really beat up Atlantis that had been, apparently, repaired (by Curt Goodrich I later learned) at least once, which was obvious with the rattlecanned repair areas. I freaked the guy out, I think, when I started talking to him about his bike. We later became friends, but I don't think he has the Atlantis anymore. After awhile, seeing different Rivs in the wild lost its novelty, because it became at least a weekly occurrence. Now I walk to a nearby food co-op, and frequently see a green 2TT Hillborne and a QB parked there at the same time, in addition to some other bikes that clearly have Riv-inspired style. A coffee shop I ride past daily has an orange Sam parked outside (I know the bike personally, and it's original owner sometimes appears on this list). Of course, in my day job, I encounter lots of Rivendells. The Twin Cities, despite having snow and ice on the ground 11.5 months/year, is quite a bicycle haven, and for whatever reason, Riv has a strong showing among the more common bicycle brands.

Lyle Bogart

Sep 7, 2012, 6:12:42 PM9/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I've seen exactly two Rivs here in midcoast Maine. . . the Good and the Bad of it is that one is my Atlantis and the second is my wife's Betty!

On 7 September 2012 12:03, mike <mike.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have seen another Riv in Boulder only once and Boulder has a pretty active bicycle culture.   On a path I passed a woman riding an Atlantis, then immediately slowed down to look at her bike.  A guy at the shop where I take my car has an Yves Gomez but I've never seen the bike, my SimpleOne caught his eye when I dropped off the car one day.

I know Rivs around, or at least think they are.  I see some references to Boulder in this group.

lyle f bogart dpt

156 bradford rd
wiscasset, me 04578

Leslie

Sep 7, 2012, 9:03:42 PM9/7/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
In Kingsport, I've only seen one other Riv, a green Quickbeam, was heading the other way on our local bike path.

Nearby, in Bristol, on another bike path, saw an AHH, again headed the other way, didn't get to speak to...

in Abingdon, on the Creeper, saw a gal on a blue Ram, got off a 'nice bike', which she called out 'you, too' (was on my green Ram).

In each of these cases, I've learned they were all associated w/ MSL, a Riv dealer in Bristol.

I've had a couple of folks on the Creeper notice my bike, and other gentleman (on older retIred bike-shop guy in search of a Bridgestone) was really excited to see my bike.

But, thats all I've seen, or have noticed. (well, save for when Grant was at MSL, and a lot of us convened for a ride...)

Beth H

Sep 8, 2012, 11:41:32 AM9/8/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I am aware of at least a dozen other Rivendells in Portland, including:

--All-Rounder
--Rambouillet
--Redwood
--Romulus (a few of these, actually)
--Bleriot
--Riv custom (a very early one, still being ridden daily by its owner)
--Atlantis (again, several; and this may be the most popular model here)

On top of this, I've lost count of the number of bikes whose owners have "Riv'd" them out.
The ones I've seen now number in the hundreds.
Evidence of the amazing influence of one company's approach to cycling.

Beth in pppppppppppppppdx

Frank

Sep 8, 2012, 12:16:25 PM9/8/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
What Beth said, but replacing the PDX token with SEA.

I know that I can make three butterscotch Salukis materialize in front of a coffee shop within a couple of hours on any given weekend, for example. I know of at least four AHHs, a fleet of Bleriots, and a slick of Atlanti, and a flight of Rambouillet. It's fun to see them out and about, and now that the SH, BF, and the Hunqa are selling so well, those models reside here in meaningful numbers. I know 4 work colleagues who have purchase a Rivendell bike as a direct result of seeing and trying mine, and that's kind of cool.

Over the past 10-15 years, we've had a number of shops at least dip their toe into the Rivendell Dealer pool, and that's been a major influence. I bought my (first Riv product, very early in my un-racing career) Romulus from Elliot Bay Bikes in or around 2002, and I've shopped at Aaron's Bicycle Repair in West Seattle over the years, even though it couldn't be less convenient to my home. Today, FreeRange Cycles flies the can't-be-sold Rivendell pennant, and Kathleen and her crew do a great job with the line, selling it alongside Surly, Salsa, Rawland, and maybe one or two other brands, all of which are set up for utility. Today I try to buy half of my jank from Rivendell online, and the other half or so from Kathleen (both of my boys are on Surly's purchased from her shop).

And then there's the guy on this list up in Marysville who not only rides Rivendell, but who also does things to dilapidated bicycles from decades past that simply defy description, reinvigorating them (different than restoring, though he does that as well) to perfection. His collection is the one place where I can always see the direct linkage in terms of utility and aesthetics between what worked then and what Rivendell reincarnated or renewed in their line.

jeffrey kane

Sep 8, 2012, 1:18:33 PM9/8/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
In New York City, well, I bought my Bleriot last summer from a list member in Bklyn. I ride it every day on my commute, lock it up up everywhere and it does occasionally collect a few nods and comments of appreciation ... but I can count on one hand the number of Rivs I've seen around town in the past 2 1/2 years.

I live in Manhattan and well, the majority of shops here are concerned with what you would expect for a large city with a staggering cost of doing business ... that is, lot's of catering to the racer/carbon fiber end of the market. There's a huge community of racer and racer wannabe's in the greater NYC area. And honestly, it's beautiful. Everything I've ever learned about cycling as an adult I've learned here. From commuting on the first crappy Chinese mtb's back in the mid 80's to later being adopted by Team Bklyn and then Team Gotham ... guys from every imaginable ethnicity who graciously tolerated just how badly I sucked at mtb racing, cyclocross racing and road racing ... NYC has given me everything I could have ever asked for on a bike ... except for the seed of love planted by the feel of wind on my face and beauty of leaving my troubles behind as a seven year old who finally was able to get up on his two wheeled stingray ... but that's another story.

I've (mostly) left my CF racer days behind and for the last year and a half have been killing it on a 650b Saluki up and down the Hudson ... River Road, 9W, Piermont, Nyack, Haverstraw by woods trail, Bear Mountian, etc. ... and while that bike picks up more compliments than a pretty girl in a short skirt in midtown, again, I just nearly never see any Rivs on my travels ... I know they're out there 'cause I read about 'em here ... but invisible, we seem to be ...

Ryan

Sep 8, 2012, 1:51:57 PM9/8/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Rare as hen's teeth in Winnipeg, but I know that besides the 2 I own there is a fellow bike lover who has 3 or 4 (early pink all-rounder, a custom or 2 and I believe an AHH)

Another fellow I know had an early Sherwood forest Road standard..may still do.The other multi-Riv owner and I do not commute on our Rivs; that is probably asking for trouble around here,sad to say. Lots of bike theft, for reasons known only to the thieves themselves,unfortunately.

Peter Morgano

Sep 8, 2012, 2:53:46 PM9/8/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I live in brooklyn, old brooklyn that is, not wanna be NYC Hipsterburg or Bushwick or Park Slope and I have never seen another Rivendell here. Really not surprising since most of Brooklyn is working class and Rivendells are somewhat decadent, albeit lovely. I do get some nods and good chats with people on LHTs and other Surly bikes but I have yet to see another Rivendell out here in South Brooklyn.  I do get the typical mix of comments asking if the bike is either old or expensive. I had some old man berate me that spending more than 100 dollars on a bike is way to much, haha.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rbw-owners-bunch/-/SOxK7IUxqY0J.

Bruce Herbitter

Sep 8, 2012, 2:55:33 PM9/8/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Here in central AL (Montgomery) we have a Romulus, a Rambouillet, a Saluki, a Road and a Hillborne. I've seen them all at one time or another. The Rom only once. I see 3 of the others a lot.

Joe Bernard

Sep 8, 2012, 4:19:00 PM9/8/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The San Francisco Bay Area has a veritable plethora of Rivendellia. If you do a day ride in Marin County on the weekend and don't see one, you're not looking around enough.

Joe Bernard
Vallejo, CA.

ted

Sep 8, 2012, 5:10:06 PM9/8/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
As one might expect being as RBW World Headquarters is what <50mi from
Mt. Tam.
No need for we lucky SF Bay area residents to guess based on the web
site or search for a local with a Riv we can try.
We can just drop by any old Sat. and try whatever we want just as easy
as you please.
Lucky we are I say, very lucky.

On Sep 8, 1:19 pm, Joe Bernard <joerem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The San Francisco Bay Area has a veritable plethora of Rivendellia. If you
> do a day ride in Marin County on the weekend and *don't* see one, you're
> not looking around enough.
>
> Joe Bernard
> Vallejo, CA.
>

> On Saturday, September 8, 2012 11:55:35 AM UTC-7, Fullylugged wrote:
> > Here in central AL (Montgomery) we have a Romulus, a Rambouillet, a
> > Saluki, a Road and a Hillborne. I've seen them all at one time or another.
> > The Rom only once. I see 3 of the others a lot.

islaysteve

Sep 8, 2012, 5:53:15 PM9/8/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That's actually pretty amazing, considering that I've only seen one other in suburban MD, DC area.  In know there are more however.

PATRICK MOORE

Sep 8, 2012, 6:48:11 PM9/8/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Just two in Albuquerque, both mine, as far as I know. Perhaps there is a lister in Santa Fe? Tho' I be the sole owner, there are many appreciators -- get continual compliments on the two.

I'm pretty sure that ABQ and SF exhaust the state's Rivendell population..

Patrick Moore, who recently sold the only English Racing Tricycle in New Mexico.

Jim Cloud

Sep 8, 2012, 7:03:37 PM9/8/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've seen a few RIvs around Tucson, including a very nice blue
Atlantis. I know there are others, one being owned by the guy who
organizes the bi-annual GABA (Greater Arizona Bicycle Association)
swap meets in the spring and fall. He coordinated several of the area
Rivendell owners (including me) to display their bikes, answer
questions and pass out Rivendell catalogs during a swap meet quite
some time back. If you're reading this Grant, why not do this again
during the Fall swap meet in November? I think Tucson area bicyclists
would be interested in seeing your latest catalogs and some local
owner's bikes.

Jim Cloud
Tucson, AZ

On Sep 6, 8:56 am, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery <thill....@gmail.com>

Joe K

Sep 9, 2012, 9:02:42 AM9/9/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
Probably Rivendell World Headquarters could tell us exactly how many
Rivs are in every city, if they keep their sales records organized
that way. But they may want to keep that info confidential, or
consider it too much like data mining.

Joe K

Leslie

Sep 9, 2012, 9:12:56 AM9/9/12
On Sunday, September 9, 2012 9:02:44 AM UTC-4, Joe K wrote:
Probably Rivendell World Headquarters could tell us exactly how many
Rivs are in every city, if they keep their sales records organized
that way. But they may want to keep that info confidential, or
consider it too much like data mining.

That'd be a starting point, true...  they could get their frames' initial sales location.

But when you have a half-dozen dealers, who ship frames out to wherever needed; people selling their bikes on ebay; people relocating; it'd be far from complete on their records alone.

A few years ago, someone had started one of those google-maps that had a bunch of us on it;  is that still around somewhere?  Hadn't looked at it in ages....

Jay in Tel Aviv

Sep 9, 2012, 9:21:14 AM9/9/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've never seen another one out here in Tel Aviv. It's still mostly
mountain and racing bikes around here, with a good number of off-
brands folders and electrics.
Gas just blew through $8 a gallon though, so maybe that will change
soon.

Jay

Matt Beebe

Sep 9, 2012, 10:24:45 AM9/9/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Rivendell started a serial # database a little while ago here:

  https://www.rivbike.com/Articles.asp?ID=323

but I don't think it includes location of owner, only location of purchase (Riv HQ, dealer, or previous owner).    Anyway I think it's a pretty cool idea.

C.J. Filip

Sep 9, 2012, 10:46:06 AM9/9/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
A small handful of Rivs and Riv-inspired bikes here in the college
town of Moscow, ID. Some Rivs come and go, never to be seen from
again. The permanent residents seem to be a large Homer, my Homer and
at least two large Atlanti.

When I'm feeling especially frisky, I'll park my Homer next to the one
other Homer and create a concentration of Riv not seen this side of
Seattle/PDX (I'm sure).

Bruce Herbitter

Sep 9, 2012, 2:01:10 PM9/9/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

A few years ago, someone had started one of those google-maps that had a bunch of us on it;  is that still around somewhere?  Hadn't looked at it in ages....

http://www.renaissancebicycles.com/interactive-google-maps/rivendell-owners-map/

Bruce Baker

Sep 9, 2012, 5:54:06 PM9/9/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
This link might work and we could spread the word to populate this..
http://www.renaissancebicycles.com/interactive-google-maps/rivendell-owners-map/
Bruce
> --
> "RBW Owners Bunch" group.

Robert Barr

Sep 9, 2012, 12:01:58 AM9/9/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Indianapolis is in the midst of another bike boom, and a large part of this boom appears to be Riv/Surly influenced.  I can count at least 10 Riv's that I see during my normal commute and I am sure there are more. Quickbeams are the most common, but there is a beautiful Sam-orange Atlantis less than a block away. There are at least two Legolas, one of which I see frequently. The Riv influence is also clear in the many 80s and 90s mountain bikes that have been modified as commuters. My daily ride has been a B-stone MB3, made more comfortable and useful by generous advice from Riv. It has Alba bars on a dirt drop stem, Nitto racks and a Wald basket, Marathon tires, a crane bell, and a German mirror. it is a marvel of function. It has performed so well that it took me over two years to  to buy a Hunqa. When I stop at the coffee shop in the morning my MB3 is usually leaning next to an an XO3 and a Stumpie that have very similar builds. Complimenting  the many repurposed MBs are lots of LHTs and Cross Checks. A handful of Gunnar and Bilenky spottings are the result of a  long standing connection between Indianapolis and Minneapolis/St Paul.  Part of the motivation for the commuting boom is  a Mayor that passionately promotes a complete streets transportation model for the city and a tireless advocacy group that you can out more about by searching INDYCOG. These are exciting times for bicycling in Indianapolis, we are not the Portland of the Midwest - I would give that title to Minneapolis/St Paul, but we are coming up fast. If you get the chance, come and ride Indianapolis, Bob

Michael Richters

Sep 9, 2012, 8:40:51 PM9/9/12
On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Ryan <ryte...@mts.net> wrote:
> Rare as hen's teeth in Winnipeg, but I know that besides the 2 I own there
> is a fellow bike lover who has 3 or 4 (early pink all-rounder, a custom or 2
> and I believe an AHH)

I'm astonished to see someone else in Winnipeg reply to this question.
You almost certainly haven't seen my SimpleOne (I'm almost always on
the bakfiets instead), and I'm still getting ready to assemble my A
Homer Hilsen. I've never seen another Rivendell on the roads here
(though I did see an Atlantis in Montreal once), but I did once spot
an XO-1 on Kingsway...

Kelly

Sep 10, 2012, 10:34:49 AM9/10/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
In St Louis Mo. I've seen...

Riv Custom
71 cm AHH
And a Ram

I know there are others I just haven't seen.

Kelly

SteveD

Sep 10, 2012, 12:22:52 PM9/10/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Add my Atlantis to Seattle, in the Bryant neighborhood near Counterbalance Bikes on the BGT. I've seen two or three other Atlantii in the neighborhood over the past two or three years as well as a couple customs, a Saluki, a couple of Bleriots and Rams, and an AHH.

Steve DeMont
Seattle

PATRICK MOORE

Sep 10, 2012, 12:28:42 PM9/10/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I forgot that there is, or was, a local ER physician who at one point had a stable of Riv models including a wonderful Legolas. So, if he's still around, there must be half a dozen Rivs in ABQ.

"Believe nothing until it has been officially denied."
                                                   -- Claude Cockburn

-------------------------
Patrick Moore, Albuquerque, NM, USA
For professional resumes, contact Patrick Moore, ACRW
http://resumespecialties.com/index.html
-------------------------

Rick

Sep 10, 2012, 7:33:25 PM9/10/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
In Atlanta, I've seen a fellow downtown on a Saluki, another guy that
I know has an Atlantis, and there's some fellow out there riding at
speed on an orange Ram. And a 'muter I saw three years ago on an All
Rounder. Add to that my Bleriot, Atlantis, the wife's Betty, a
friend's Betty, another friend's Sam. Perhaps they're breeding at
night.
Message has been deleted

RJM

Sep 11, 2012, 7:55:46 AM9/11/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
There are 4 that I know of in Paducah, KY. One is my Hillborne, the other a Hilsen, another Hillborne and a Bleriot.

Marc Schwartz

Sep 11, 2012, 9:42:19 AM9/11/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Three in Las Cruces, NM. My Bleriot, a Bombadil, and an AHH. Thats all.

Marc
Sep 11, 2012, 3:50:19 PM9/11/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have a friend in Mesilla, the adobe side of Las Cruces, that has an Atlantis. He rides often on Snow Road, Shalem Colony, to the airport and beyond, and some of the valley ditch banks.

Las Cruces is my previous hometown. Nowadays I am in Grand Junction CO where I have heard there are a couple of Quickbeams and an Atlantis, but I have yet to see them out and about. This probably says more about me and my chosen lifestyle/solo riding than them. I have an AllRounder, Road custom, Quickbeam, and Legolas.

I recently rode Ride the Rockies with 1999 other riders, and there were exactly zero Rivendells on that ride. I had two grey haired men tell me they had one at home, but they didn't want to ride heavy steel on such a demanding ride. I thought buying into Rivendell philosophy, literally, would eliminate such unintelligent thinking. My Riv Road was the perfect bike for 6 long days in the saddle: it took 33mm tires for the rough roads and ~15 miles of dirt, it was stable, predictable, comfortable.

Marc Schwartz

Sep 11, 2012, 4:41:18 PM9/11/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Quatro en Cruces! Bueno!

El Otro Marcos
Sep 12, 2012, 7:20:02 AM9/12/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
In this college town I have seen an orange rambouillet,a guy who rides an atlantis on a regular basis, hillborne, and a lady on a smaller frame atlantis, and a hilsen. Add to that my rodeo and simpleone.
Dave Nawrocki
Fort Collins, CO

Sep 12, 2012, 9:36:22 AM9/12/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I've only seen a couple other Rivs here in LA - a woman on a stunning red Betty Foy on La Brea and a guy on what looked like a well-loved Atlantis on 8th Street. I commute most days on a silver Quickbeam. I wish there was more bike-gazing to be had here. Unfortunately, I spend most of my time dodging texting drivers.

Allingham II, Thomas J

Sep 12, 2012, 9:39:38 AM9/12/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Alas, none that I know of in Delaware except mine:

Fully built and in active rotation: Atlantis, Quickbeam, SimpleOne, Homer.

Transitional status:  Mystery Bike, Bombadil, Bleriot.

But I think there are several up the road in and around Philadelphia -- Justin?

Sep 12, 2012, 5:14:59 PM9/12/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That is probably me. I have an ornage 93 X0-1 and regularly cross Wellington Crescent at KingswayAlso commute on a PX-10 single w M-bars

RJM

Sep 12, 2012, 7:06:16 PM9/12/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, the more the better in Kentucky. I would really like to ride in eastern Ky sometime.