Nifty Swiftys cracking sidewalls after only 2 months of riding. Normal?

lungimsam

Sep 24, 2012, 12:38:31 AM9/24/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Or unsafe?

Is it normal for gum/skinwalls for this to happen?

The bike is garage kept. Inflation kept at 75psi (max for the tire). No furnaces/moving air or anything nearby to damage tires.

Puzzled.

Ron Mc

Sep 24, 2012, 10:00:55 AM9/24/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
doesn't sound good
I've had gumwalls last 5-6 years before the gum peels and bare cord shows through.
if it's not age/UV, I expect chemical/solvent exposure.
john (at) rivbike .com - here's probably where you want to start at rivbike

lungimsam

Sep 24, 2012, 11:01:56 AM9/24/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
It is a split, on both sides of the tire, running the whole way around. About a fingernail edge width.

I'll keep an eye on it.

lungimsam

Sep 24, 2012, 11:21:23 AM9/24/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
pic. Hope you can see it:

photo 2.JPG

Ron Mc

Sep 24, 2012, 11:36:55 AM9/24/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
thanks for the photo - that tire has a reinforced sidewall, so you may just be seeing a seam at the edge of the reinforcement.
if the gum was cracked, you should be seeing exposed cord (fabric)

Cyclofiend

Sep 24, 2012, 2:26:44 PM9/24/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I seem to recall a similar photo which surfaced on this group a few
months back. It does look like a seam either from the casing wrap or
the edge of a protection layer. It wouldn't bother me to ride, but
IIRC, the poster of that did have RBW warranty it. It's a little on
the "B-minus" edge of the range of material coverage.

lungimsam

Sep 24, 2012, 6:04:49 PM9/24/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That was me, and it was another Swifty that had the same cracking, but  along the bead.

I didn't get it from RBW, but the seller swapped it out for me.

After 2 months of riding, I don't think they will be willing to swap this one. I don't even know if this is considered defective or normal.

I am thinking of going to Soma Xpress or the Marathons. I am sure the Marathons will be top notch. Just not sure if they will be draggy or not. But they are RBW's go to tire now, so that says something I guess.

I think I will get them from Rivendell - Soma, or Marathons this time.