A. Homer Hilsen brake question

David Spranger

Sep 16, 2012, 12:48:43 PM9/16/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Anyone have any knowledge or experience on whether the Dia-Compe Mod 750 Centerpull Brakes (http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/brcp1.htm) will work with the 700c Hilsen? Other centerpull  brake options?

Thanks,
David Spranger
Charlotte, NC

Matthew J

Sep 16, 2012, 1:02:55 PM9/16/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I had Paul Racers on mine. Worked perfect. I think the Dia Compe have longer reach. Check before buying to be sure you can shorten.

Allingham II, Thomas J

Sep 16, 2012, 1:50:41 PM9/16/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
+1 on the Paul Racers -- work great.

Sep 16, 2012, 2:21:21 PM9/16/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Should have said, Pauls are well outside of my budget. Looking for something more affordable. Anyone try the Dia-Compes on their Homer? Other long reach center pulls out there?

J L

Sep 16, 2012, 5:09:18 PM9/16/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

I think the dia compe 750s might be too long,  even at the highest point of the brake pads.   Have you looked at the gran compe 610?   It looks like a high quality brake with a lower price than the paul brakes have.   I have to say though, paul brakes are worth saving up for if you can wait.

Jl

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rbw-owners-bunch/-/Lfz7AqaTcRwJ.

David Spranger

Sep 16, 2012, 5:25:12 PM9/16/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I may just do that if I cannot find a center pull alternative. I am in no rush to build this bike up, and in fact had to agree to hold off on further bike related purchases after plunking down the cash for the frame.

David

bingomck

Sep 16, 2012, 5:42:29 PM9/16/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
David, did you just win the 63 on ebay?

Matthew J

Sep 16, 2012, 6:10:56 PM9/16/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
You will still want to contact Rivendell (or wait to see if someone here has tried same)' but I did some sleuthing that may help.

Paul says Racers have minimum 57' maximum 67 reach. Riv says the Dia Compes have minimum 63 to 78. Here is a picture of my old Hilsen on Cyclofiend:

http://cyclofiend.com/cc/2007/cc238-joelmatthews0107.html

From the picture it appears the pads are at least 3/4s down the slot. So they may be past the Dia Compe minimum 63.

Best I can do.

lungimsam

Sep 16, 2012, 6:13:25 PM9/16/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
David,

You don't want the Silver Sidepulls on it?

David Spranger

Sep 16, 2012, 6:31:29 PM9/16/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yep. That would be me. Its a sickness. I don't need four bikes, but that is now what I have.

David

David Spranger

Sep 16, 2012, 6:32:25 PM9/16/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info! I will call Riv to see what they say.

David Spranger

Sep 16, 2012, 6:35:26 PM9/16/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have the Tektro/Silver equivalent on my Rambouillet, but it is a job to keep them from squeezing the fenders. I like the idea of maximizing the fender/tire clearance with center pulls.

David

Peter Pesce

Sep 16, 2012, 9:02:38 PM9/16/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
David
I (think) I have a set of NOS 610's in the parts box if you find out the 750 are too long. The original 610 was forged, and has a more classic look, vs the new Grand Compes which are CNCd IIRC.

Pete in CT

bingomck

Sep 16, 2012, 10:01:23 PM9/16/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Congrats! Was watching him drop by $50 each time. Should be an amazing bike, and 4 is nothing!

David Spranger

Sep 17, 2012, 7:21:38 AM9/17/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

Thanks, I would be interested. Do you know what the reach is on these brakes? Will they work for the Hilsen? Per the geometry chart, the Hilsen effective brake reach is 65.

David
Charlotte, NC

Peter Pesce

Sep 17, 2012, 9:44:59 AM9/17/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
David-

The 610 maxes out at 61mm, so it probably won't work. Sounds like the 750 would be perfect, though. According to VeloBase the range on the 750's is 60-78mm.

I had the 750's on my sidepull Sam for a while and they were really nice. They fit nicely over a 45mm fender with no pinching and would probably clear a 50.

-Pete in CT

David Spranger

Sep 17, 2012, 11:28:54 AM9/17/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Pete, Thanks for that great information!

David
Charlotte, NC

David Spranger

Sep 17, 2012, 2:31:35 PM9/17/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Official word from Rivendell is that the Dia-Compe 750 will work on the Hilsen frame.

Thanks for everyone's input.

David
Charlotte, NC