650b Marathing vs. 650b Soma Xpress

lungimsam

Sep 24, 2012, 11:09:53 AM9/24/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Have you ridden both?

Which one felt faster to you?

Click to see the tires:

lungimsam

Sep 24, 2012, 11:11:43 AM9/24/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Sorry. Having trouble for some reason today.

Sorry if double post on this and typos.

Anyway, let me know which tire feels faster, so to speak. Thanks.

Steve Palincsar

Sep 24, 2012, 5:07:52 PM9/24/12
On Mon, 2012-09-24 at 10:54 -0700, Christopher Miller Rosales wrote:

> However, I bet the Gran Bois Hetres will knock them both out of the
> park for a great ride, at the cost of puncture resistance.

You'd be surprised, I think: the Hetre, in my experience, gets
remarkably few flats.

lungimsam

Sep 24, 2012, 6:55:00 PM9/24/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Does it have puncture or sidewall protection?
I need them for commuting and want to avoid flats and that sorta thing.

MobileBill

Sep 24, 2012, 9:41:50 PM9/24/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've been commuting on Marathon 650Bs on my Saluki over about 13,500
miles of mostly miserable and trashy roads. I've had two flats in that
time. The first occurred at mile 500 or thereabouts, the result of a
strange spike of glass, the likes of which I've never seen before. The
second occurred on the same tire (rear, of course) at mile 9,900.
That's when I decided I might as well put on a new Marathon tire (I
switched the old front to the back and rode it another thousand or so
miles - riding merits aside, what a value!).
On our somewhat more "recreational" bikes, I've ridden Gran Bois
Cerf (28), Soma New Express 38, Marathon 30mm Racers and various
Michelins. I'd buy the Racers and the Cerfs again, though they've had
their share of flats. I guess it's possible any of them might be
"faster" than the Marathon, but I never think of the Marathons as slow
(except when I'm riding into the wind) and I'd have to describe all of
them (including the Somas) as somewhat more harsh.
It's entertaining to think about the merits of various tires, but
at a certain point, you want to quit worrying about tires and go
somewhere. That's what Marathons are for.

Peter Morgano

Sep 25, 2012, 2:37:22 PM9/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

How does tubeless stop flats? Not being snarky, I just am not that familiar with the whole tubeless system.

On Sep 25, 2012 2:13 PM, "Hoffsta" <tongue...@gmail.com> wrote:
Go Hetre and Stan's Tubeless if you want the best ride and zero concerns about flats.

On Monday, September 24, 2012 3:55:00 PM UTC-7, lungimsam wrote:
Does it have puncture or sidewall protection?
I need them for commuting and want to avoid flats and that sorta thing.

rcnute

Sep 25, 2012, 3:02:53 PM9/25/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
For commuting I use B-Lines from April-September and Marathons from
October-March. So I can avoid possibly changing flats in the rain in
Seattle. (My B-Lines are not flat prone but Marathons are
indestructible and I think they ride pretty well in 650b.)

Ryan

On Sep 24, 3:55 pm, lungimsam <john11.2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does it have puncture or sidewall protection?
> I need them for commuting and want to avoid flats and that sorta thing.
>

> On Monday, September 24, 2012 11:09:53 AM UTC-4, lungimsam wrote:
> > Have you ridden both?
>
> > Which one felt faster to you?
>
> > Click to see the tires:

lungimsam

Sep 25, 2012, 3:40:16 PM9/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Do the Marathons feel draggy? Or do they roll nicely?

I am leaning towards the Marathons, just because I feel they may be the better made tire.

Nothing against the Soma's but I think they are Panaracer. And All three of my Panaracer tires have splits in the sidewalls when new.

William

Sep 25, 2012, 4:19:05 PM9/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Tubeless is purported to stop flats in two ways.  First, there is nothing to pinch, so pinch flats are impossible.  This allows us to run even lower pressures without worry.  Second, the sealant is supposed to seal around anything that pokes your tire.

I've only been running 650B tubeless for a few months on my commute bike.  I've gotten zero flats, but I don't consider that meaningful.  I imagine a huge nasty tire gasher, like a big chunk of glass or metal that rips a hole in your tire is still going to give you a flat with tubeless.  On distance rides, I still carry a tube, which you can still put in there on your tubeless setup.

justin...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2012, 5:20:36 PM9/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
What does tire repair look like on the road with tubeless? Boot it and tube it?

-Justin in Philly