Nitto R-14 top rack on a Roadeo: Sacrilege?

190 Aufrufe
Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Forrest

ungelesen,
10.04.2012, 00:10:4110.04.12
an rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Would use rubber-lined clamps on the seat stays, and the long struts bolted to fender braze-ons at the rear dropouts. Could just use a true saddlebag sans rack, but I am overly fond of my Arkel Tail Rider trunk bag. It only weighs a pound, and I usually never have more than 7-9 pounds of stuff in it, max, often more like 5-6 pounds. But it is bullet-proof and waterproof and expandable, and what if I come across a box turtle that I would like to take home to my wife as a present (she's turtle-crazy)?

Joe Broach

ungelesen,
10.04.2012, 01:45:5910.04.12
an rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Saddlebags are pretty nice. Have you tried one? You might find--as I
did with my Romulus--that the lightweight tubing is not happy with
even a five pounds cantilevered off the back on a rack. If you're not
dissuaded, how about the Nitto R10 that clamps to the seatpost and can
bolt to the fender eyelets?

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=872

I agree that one always should have room for the unexpected!

Best,
joe broach
portland, or

newenglandbike

ungelesen,
10.04.2012, 04:20:0410.04.12
an rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I don't have a Roadeo so take this with grain of salt, but I bet it would be fine.     The R-14 rack is not typical, being unusually well made, lightweight and stiff.      That being said, you could also look into mounting the smaller Mark's rack-  although they are normally shown mounted to the fork, they can also be mounted to the seatstays.   I have one on an old sequoia to support a large saddlebag and it is great.

Matt

PATRICK MOORE

ungelesen,
10.04.2012, 04:46:4310.04.12
an rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
You'd be surprised what a light-tubed frame can take with a high
quality rack properly loaded. I used to load Eric Motobecane fixie,
light 531 (C?) tubing, with 40+ lb of rear load -- 45 total on the
rear was the most recorded. It wagged with over 40, but 30+ was fine.
Lightweight Tubus Fly. My all 753 '95 road custom would handle 40 lb
loads with a Fly, also very well. Even the longer stayed current '03
handles 30 lb fine, tho' not as well as the other two bikes. I found
that panniers so attached affected handling less than heavy saddlebags
while also carrying more.

I doubt that the Rom's tubes are any lighter than those of the above.

The trike is 531 and light for a steel trike, and it handles loads
even better! -- Hoss, tho' I hope one day to get a custom platform
rack for it.

> --

-------------------------
Patrick Moore, Albuquerque, NM
For professional resumes, contact Patrick Moore, ACRW
http://resumespecialties.com/index.html
-------------------------

A billion stars go spinning through the night
Blazing high above your head;
But in you is the Presence that will be
When all the stars are dead.

Ranier Maria Rilke, Buddha in Glory

EricP

ungelesen,
10.04.2012, 06:19:3210.04.12
an rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Go for it.  Not only does it sound like a fine idea, but the Arkel Tail Rider is a great bag. I don't have one, but have looked them over numerous times.

Saddlebags are great, but if you're not using a saddle with loops and don't want to use a Nitto bag clamp, there's not a lot out there.  The R-14 is a better idea IMO.

Had an R-14 on my Hillborne when first building it up.  And may eventually have one on another bike someday.  It's a excellent item.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN

Forrest

ungelesen,
10.04.2012, 08:05:3810.04.12
an rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the tip on the R-10, Joe.

Jay in Tel Aviv

ungelesen,
10.04.2012, 13:19:1910.04.12
an RBW Owners Bunch
I use a Carradice Super C saddlebag with a bagman QR support on your
old Sam.
I bet the same setup would work great on the Rodeo.

Jay

On Apr 10, 3:05 pm, Forrest <ftme...@me.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the tip on the R-10, Joe.
>

> On Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:45:59 AM UTC-5, joe b. wrote:
>
> > Saddlebags are pretty nice. Have you tried one? You might find--as I
> > did with my Romulus--that the lightweight tubing is not happy with
> > even a five pounds cantilevered off the back on a rack. If you're not
> > dissuaded, how about the Nitto R10 that clamps to the seatpost and can
> > bolt to the fender eyelets?
>
> >http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id...

Lisa

ungelesen,
10.04.2012, 15:07:0810.04.12
an rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Rubber-lined clamps can discolor the paint beneath them.  This is especially obvious on light-colored bikes.  I'd suggest a wrap of bar tape or rim tape under the rubber to protect your paint.

On Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:10:41 AM UTC-4, Forrest wrote:

Liesl

ungelesen,
10.04.2012, 17:20:5610.04.12
an RBW Owners Bunch
I think do what the box turtle would like the most. -liesl
Allen antworten
Antwort an Autor
Weiterleiten
0 neue Nachrichten