Big Apple vs. Supreme

Marty

May 2, 2012, 8:29:38 AM5/2/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Need a new set of tires for the Bombadil, and considering Big Apples or Supremes. I noticed Riv has both in 700 x 50, and wondered if anyone here has either/or. Opinions aside from cost? Thanks!

Marty

Montclair BobbyB

May 2, 2012, 9:06:02 AM5/2/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
Marty:

I ride Big Apples on my Bomba (700 x 50)... I love them. Never ridden
Supremes.

BB

Allingham II, Thomas J

May 2, 2012, 9:15:49 AM5/2/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have 50mm Supremes on my Atlantis, and they, too, are swell.

To ensure compliance with Treasury Department regulations, we advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this message was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.

This email (and any attachments thereto) is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email (and any attachments thereto) is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error please immediately notify me at (212) 735-3000 and permanently delete the original email (and any copy of any email) and any printout thereof.

Further information about the firm, a list of the Partners and their professional qualifications will be provided upon request.

BykMor

May 2, 2012, 11:14:35 AM5/2/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have ridden both. The website claims decent "protection" for the Big Apple, but I ended up with a few flats. The Supremes have been very kind to me with no flats and a VERY nice ride. Of course, I'm riding a Big Dummy so YMMV. The Supremes are quite a bit more expensive. Schwalbe isn't trying to rip you off. They are more technological.

You'll enjoy your ride, either way ;-)

BykMor

Marty

May 2, 2012, 11:33:06 AM5/2/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the inputs. I think I'll go with the Supremes this time around. After all, on a Bombadil, there Ain't No Mountain High Enough!

René Sterental

May 2, 2012, 6:02:36 PM5/2/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
The Supremes are also a bit lighter, not that that matters much... :-) I'm now using Duremes (50) on my Huqapillar and I like them very much as well.

René

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 8:33 AM, Marty <mgi...@mac.com> wrote:
Thanks for the inputs. I think I'll go with the Supremes this time around. After all, on a Bombadil, there Ain't No Mountain High Enough!

EricP

May 2, 2012, 8:47:49 PM5/2/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I've used both.  Like the Supremes better.  But to confuse things more, my wife has Big Apple Liteskins on her bike and prefers them over regular BA or the Supremes.  And the bike that had Supremes now has Schwalbe Kojaks on it and those might be my favorite so far.

None are a bad choice.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN

Olivier Chetelat

May 2, 2012, 11:37:37 AM5/2/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,
I ride both tires in 50mm on an Atlantis and Hunqapillar. This weekend I rode the Atlantis with the Big Apple on the front and Supreme in the back.
I like both for they offer a plush ride and provide peace of mind with their puncture protection. However, if I had to pick one, I'd go with the Supreme. The Big Apple has a slight noise on pavement as the other is virtually silent. In terms of grip I couldn't notice any difference. Also I prefer the look of the Supreme. Both are great tires though and the Big Apple wins the cash register contest.

Olivier

Ps: no flat so far in 5 months of almost daily riding

Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery

May 3, 2012, 10:06:04 AM5/3/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Odd, I've always found the Supremes to be surprisingly noisy. It doesn't bother me, as they are wonderful tires. I believe they last longer in proportion to cost. My buddy Weasel got almost 9000 loaded commuting miles on the rear! His front tire, also after 9000 miles, looked almost new.

Mike

May 3, 2012, 11:07:14 AM5/3/12
to RBW Owners Bunch
I say go with 50mm Duremes. After all, these are going on a Bombadil.

--mike

Minh

May 3, 2012, 1:27:03 PM5/3/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Man, this discussion is making it really hard to resist hitting order on a pair of supremes!  i keep telling myself the tires on the bike currently are working perfectly fine, but so hard to resist....

Tom Harrop

May 5, 2012, 2:28:37 PM5/5/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I've got 50 mm Supremes (46 mm on Dyad rims). Nothing wrong with them, but I think there's enough room for bigger, so I'm really really tempted to try to squeeze 60 mm BAs under the fenders...
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted