Akademy

Jerome Leclanche

Jul 14, 2013, 5:38:28 AM7/14/13
to d...@kde.org, razo...@googlegroups.com

Hi list

Weather is hot here in Bilbao. I wanted to let you know that one of the points that was raised was KDE membership for razor.
Dario Freddi (here cc'd) and some others have extended us an invitation to come under the KDE umbrella. While this eould involve moving our various infrastructures to kde.org (github etc) and agreeing to the KDE manifesto, there are no technical requirements (read: we don't need to use kdelibs).
I will go into further details once I'm back but I wanted to get early opinions on this. I also wanted to know who would be suited to make the final decision.  Personally I am strongly in favour, but I'm also writing on a phone so I'll skip the small talk.

Cheers

Fanis Babaloukas

Jul 14, 2013, 3:46:05 PM7/14/13
to razo...@googlegroups.com, d...@kde.org
As long as razorqt remains creatively independed I don't see the reason why not.

Dario Freddi

Jul 14, 2013, 5:21:43 PM7/14/13
to razo...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone (sorry for top posting),

first of all I'd like to thank Jerome for considering the opportunity.

In an attempt to make everything as short as possible, I'd invite all stakeholders in razor to read this: http://manifesto.kde.org/ . Adhering to these principles implies having the credentials for being considered as a KDE project. Moreover, there is one single technical requirement: the project needs to use KDE's infrastructure. This means projects.kde.org for hosting (for code and git repositories), bugs.kde.org (for bugs, obviously), techbase,userbase.kde.org for wiki, some other cool services (CI, static code analysis...) and some other stuff I am surely forgetting about. In short: we give you the infrastructure, you are compelled to use it.

Moreover, and to ultimately answer the question of Fanis: being a KDE project doesn't mean being driven in a technical direction neither being tied to specific rules, if not those in the manifesto: razor can and should keep its independence, with KDE acting only as an umbrella.

I'm available for any other further questions and, ultimately, for advocating your will to be included and ease the process in case you'll be (hopefully!) favorable.

Cheers

Jerome Leclanche

Jul 14, 2013, 9:58:51 PM7/14/13
to razo...@googlegroups.com, Kuzma Shapran, Petr Vanek, PCMan, Александр Соколов, Alec Moskvin
CCing some more people directly. I'd like all of your input on this.

PCMan also CC'd since this indirectly affects LXDE.

J. Leclanche

Kuzma Shapran

Jul 15, 2013, 4:48:49 PM7/15/13
to Jerome Leclanche, razo...@googlegroups.com, Petr Vanek, PCMan, Александр Соколов, Alec Moskvin
If we don't have to use kdelibs or any other libs - why not!
Our current infrastructure is good enough, though I'll look at KDE's infrastructure closer and express my opinion soon.

Cheers,
Kuzma

Kuzma Shapran

Jul 15, 2013, 4:52:40 PM7/15/13
to Jerome Leclanche, razo...@googlegroups.com, Petr Vanek, PCMan, Александр Соколов, Alec Moskvin
One more thought - if we're under KDE's umbrella - some people (probably - many) could think: they're part of KDE or at least they depend on something from KDE.
We can lost independent appearance. :-(

Kuzma