Status of release 0.5.0 and features for 0.6.0

Jerome Leclanche

Jul 4, 2012, 8:31:36 PM7/4/12
to razo...@googlegroups.com
Morning

With notifications more or less done (issue #324 still to implement) I'd like to go over the 0.5.0 milestone.

 - Ability to create more than one panel (#263). I don't think this is happening for this release. I'm dropping it in favour of next milestone, let me know if you want to work on it.
 - Tray, Taskbar and Desktop Switcher plugins supporting multiple rows. Same there, unless someone wants to start working on it it's probably worth leaving for 0.6.0
 - Additional desktop widgets (#13). Most have been done, there's still a missing ram widgets (I believe?), but I'm dropping the milestone because there is no point adding it in a rush at this stage.
 - Root menu (#12). Can someone comment on this one? I don't use this sort of functionality.
 - Task grouping (#10). This, imo, should go along with the other razor-panel improvements. For next release.

Going over the Todo list:

I don't know what the panel sizing issue is. I don't know the status on #3, if it's not been started we should move it to 0.6.0. Same for #5.
I believe #9 is done; is there anything left to do with the keyboard shortcut daemon?
The rest is self-explanatory.

All in all, we have quite a few features ready for a new release, and let's not forget we're in alpha either way. There's a lot of interesting improvements in there for a 0.6.0 release.

Tentative 0.6.0 list:
 - Support multiple rows for panel plugins
 - Support multiple monitors for panel
 - Task grouping support for the task manager panel plugin
 - Beginning of Qt5 support (#337)

Issues I'd like to add to it:
 - Add left/right-handed mouse setting config (#298)
 - Configure task manager to only show certain windows (#262)
 - Add a keyboard settings module (#53)

And I would also like to add serious razor-desktop improvements to this. I can work on a proper design for it, but I feel this is a major issue that's putting off a lot of people using razor. The desktop is the first thing they see in a DE.

Other issues can always be added as we work towards the release. Would like to hear everyone's opinions on this.

Uno

Jul 5, 2012, 7:41:46 AM7/5/12
to razo...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jerome! What you think about #188 bug? I active user Compiz WM (with Razor-qt of course), and this bug interferes to use your panel app and her "desktop switcher" applet. Thanks!

Jerome Leclanche

Jul 5, 2012, 11:01:25 AM7/5/12
to razo...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure I understand the bug correctly; it sounds to me like it's the same as bug #262 (task manager filtering).

J. Leclanche

Alec Moskvin

Jul 5, 2012, 12:25:25 PM7/5/12
to razo...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday 04 July 2012 17:31:36, Jerome Leclanche wrote:
> Morning
>
> With notifications more or less done (issue #324 still to implement) I'd
> like to go over the 0.5.0 milestone.
>
> - Ability to create more than one panel (#263). I don't think this is
> happening for this release. I'm dropping it in favour of next milestone,
> let me know if you want to work on it.

I might actually have this one mostly working once I finish the session
stuff I described earlier (I want to have it finished in a week or two).
The main issue is that due to the way the panel sizing works, an empty
panel would show up 1px in height. (To be honest, I really don't like
how "use theme size" currently works...)

Jerome Leclanche

Jul 5, 2012, 2:37:24 PM7/5/12
to razo...@googlegroups.com
Shouldn't we have a minimum size of like 5px at least?

J. Leclanche

Petr Vanek

Jul 5, 2012, 2:58:47 PM7/5/12
to razo...@googlegroups.com

On Jul 5, 2012 (Thursday), at 2:31 AM, Jerome Leclanche wrote:

> Morning
>
> With notifications more or less done (issue #324 still to implement) I'd like to go over the 0.5.0 milestone.
>
> - Ability to create more than one panel (#263). I don't think this is happening for this release. I'm dropping it in favour of next milestone, let me know if you want to work on it.

well, I think it's one of the most required feature.

I'd like to solve our desktop issues - it's unmaintained for now. And guys from plexydesk (yes, I know, I'm boring with it) are working on minimal shared lib with plugin interface we can share. It looks *very* promising: no bells and whistles in that lib, just widgets API (QML allowed if available out of the box) etc. Mainly it should fi xcrashe people report with our (my) implementation I'm not able to reproduce.

Also I'm in contact with qmime guys (Qt5 will conatin this module) to backport it to Qt4 - to be able to provide future-aware solution for
https://github.com/Razor-qt/razor-qt/issues/212

So personally - I vote for release 0.4.x (I'm not sure in minor number). Mainly because to have more 0.x numbers available for future ;)

p.

Jerome Leclanche

Jul 5, 2012, 3:10:54 PM7/5/12
to razo...@googlegroups.com
I don't think it's a good idea to start releasing large new features (like the notif daemon) in minor versions, I see minor versions as bugfixes-only. As for the numbers, well, I'm sure we'll manage just fine until 0.(2**31-1).x ;) Since we're in alpha, I don't see the point of being conservative when it comes to new releases.

J. Leclanche

p.

Kuzma Shapran

Jul 6, 2012, 1:02:24 AM7/6/12
to razo...@googlegroups.com

 - Additional desktop widgets (#13). Most have been done, there's still a missing ram widgets (I believe?), but I'm dropping the milestone because there is no point adding it in a rush at this stage.

Just for information.
I have a custom home-made plasmoid for KDE which shows statistics of CPU/memory/swap/network usage and renders it as a plot - not just current value.
It can gather data about each CPU core and for all cores average (conventional CPU meter).
I'm working now on moving it away from KDE to make it razor-qt panel widget. Maybe in future it'll become a desktop widget. I think it's more useful to see stats all the time while on panel - not on desktop covered by windows.

PICCORO McKAY Lenz

Jul 8, 2012, 7:10:18 PM7/8/12
to razo...@googlegroups.com
so what about desktop icvons problems under debian and qt 4.7.4 or 4.6.3?
> --

Lenz McKAY Gerardo (PICCORO)
http://qgqlochekone.blogspot.com
Cofundador de Venenux; debian based multimedia alike free only
zealots users (oh well, i try but..too many free guidelines buahhh)
http://shutendouji.net
creador de massenkoh linux; debian enhanchements for better up to date
support on stable brand, including non-free soft.

Александр Соколов

Jul 9, 2012, 8:21:45 AM7/9/12
to razo...@googlegroups.com

2012/7/5 Petr Vanek <pe...@scribus.info>

So personally - I vote for release 0.4.x (I'm not sure in minor number). Mainly because to have more 0.x numbers available for future ;)

We can't make minor release, because we are changed config files. I pushed razor-configupdate utility, but it's have some bugs yet. I'm planning to fix it on next days.But
in any case, users expect a stable config files between minor releases.
We can use 0.9999 number version in the future

--
Best regards,
Alexander.

Александр Соколов

Jul 9, 2012, 8:23:38 AM7/9/12
to razo...@googlegroups.com
You can contact with me (on Russian) if you have any questions about development of the razor-panel plugin.

2012/7/6 Kuzma Shapran <leaf.o...@gmail.com>

Best regards,
Alexander.

PICCORO McKAY Lenz

Jul 9, 2012, 9:14:47 AM7/9/12
to razo...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Petr Vanek <pe...@scribus.info> wrote:
And guys from plexydesk (yes, I know, I'm boring with it) are working on minimal shared lib with plugin interface we can
plexydesk need too high requeriments,and dont work in light environment, razorqt with plexydesk will be a heavy desktop..

i test plexydesk in wheeze and its great.. (oh! so eye candy men!) but not usefully and not helpfully for lowrange hardware and light focused desktop objetive. its suppost razorqt to be a light desktop.

i push the debugging symbols in https://github.com/Razor-qt/razor-qt/issues/302 for desktop crash in razorqt

Petr Vanek

Jul 9, 2012, 10:16:00 AM7/9/12
to razo...@googlegroups.com
On Jul 9, 2012 (Monday), at 3:14 PM, PICCORO McKAY Lenz wrote:

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Petr Vanek <pe...@scribus.info> wrote:
And guys from plexydesk (yes, I know, I'm boring with it) are working on minimal shared lib with plugin interface we can
plexydesk need too high requeriments,and dont work in light environment, razorqt with plexydesk will be a heavy desktop..

I'm talking about minimal shared lib for plugin loading nothing more. The bloated QML stuff remains in plexy stuff only.
As I wrote monts ago - I'm not interested in desktop component at all. If somebody will take it I'd be glad. But currently it's full of RTTI casting etc. So it works on my environments but some people might observe crashes.

Still I think destopn *must* be fixed before release. And I don't want to do it ;) So I want to use proper library for it when it will be ready. That's all.

i test plexydesk in wheeze and its great.. (oh! so eye candy men!) but not usefully and not helpfully for lowrange hardware and light focused desktop objetive. its suppost razorqt to be a light desktop.

i push the debugging symbols in https://github.com/Razor-qt/razor-qt/issues/302 for desktop crash in razorqt

--
Lenz McKAY Gerardo (PICCORO)
http://qgqlochekone.blogspot.com
Cofundador de Venenux;  debian based multimedia alike free only zealots users (oh well, i try but..too many free guidelines buahhh)
http://shutendouji.net
creador de massenkoh linux; debian enhanchements for better up to date support on stable brand, including non-free soft.

PICCORO McKAY Lenz

Jul 9, 2012, 3:01:23 PM7/9/12
to razo...@googlegroups.com
oh damn it!, seems hAVE same problem on casting from current desktop implementation..  umm its all about dinamic cast, so then might be possible solution a inhiret from qobject