New OpenSprinkler built, no DHCP

Mike Morris

Oct 10, 2012, 4:25:48 PM10/10/12
I finally got my OpenSprinkler all wired to power and to the valves. I've cabled Ethernet from the router to the OS. When I start the OS it says it's connecting to the network, but then it shows (button2 press) IP of 0.0.0.0 port 0. The router shows that the device MAC 00:69:69... is pulling an IP address with a TTL of 60 seconds over and over for several minutes, then it disappears from the router. To rule out my cabling, I plugged in a laptop to the same cable and it got an IP address just fine.

If I set a static IP on the OS, that address shows up on the router but then I can't load the OS web page using that IP address. After setting static IP, a button1 press shows the IP address I entered, and a button2 press shows the IP Gateway address.

Ideas?
Thanks,
--Mike

Mike Morris

Oct 10, 2012, 5:41:55 PM10/10/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
hmmmmm... Could it be the 26.5VAC transformer I hijacked from my old rainturd timer?

--Mike

Ray

Oct 10, 2012, 5:47:48 PM10/10/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
I doubt if it has to do with the transformer. As long as the LCD displays message correctly, it should be fine.

Do the LEDs on the OpenSprinkler's Ethernet jack blink? What about the LEDs on the router's Ethernet jack?

Mike Morris

Oct 10, 2012, 5:56:01 PM10/10/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
All blinking behavior is normal on both ends. Currently I have reset the OS to defaults and the router shows it getting 10.0.10.129 for 60 seconds at a time.

Mike Morris

Oct 10, 2012, 6:13:33 PM10/10/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
Should I upgrade the firmware? I got the kit with 1.8 flashed on it. Any chance an update will fix this?

Or is there any chance that my first attempt at PCB soldering has left something loose that would cause this?

Ray

Oct 10, 2012, 6:33:31 PM10/10/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
I don't think upgrading the firmware will help because 1.8 and 1.8.1 use the same EtherCard library.

Which router do you have? I suggest you try a different router if you can find one. Also, try to re-check the solder joints. It could be that some pins are loose.

Mike Morris

Oct 10, 2012, 6:37:13 PM10/10/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
The router is a WRT54G running DD-WRT. I had the same problem when I used an old macbook as a wifi bridge. I'll check the solder joints.

Ray

Oct 10, 2012, 7:52:11 PM10/10/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, interesting. I have a WRT54G running Tomato 1.28. Both DHCP and static IP seem to be working fine. Keep in mind that when you use static IP, you should set an IP address within your router's client IP range. Also you should make sure to set the correct gateway (router) IP.

Mike Morris

Oct 10, 2012, 8:41:59 PM10/10/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
OK all solder joints are good. I retouched some iffy ones but the behavior is the same. I have reset the OpenSprinkler to defaults again and while it tells me it is at IP 0.0.0.0:80 with a gateway of 0.0.0.0:0, the router says it gave it 10.0.10.129. If I try to load http://10.0.10.129 I get nothing. Lights are blinking arrhythmically which makes it appear as though some data is getting passed, I cannot access the device over the LAN.

Mike Morris

Oct 10, 2012, 8:55:55 PM10/10/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
By the way, what is the meaning of the network icon? The Manual says it indicates connection, but which state means good and which means bad? I have seen 3 bars with and without the star/X icon with it and in both cases I get an IP of 0.0.0.0

Ray

Oct 10, 2012, 9:06:23 PM10/10/12
The icon is based on ping results (results of pinging the router). If the controller can get ping results within a small amount of time, it displays the good icon. If not, it display the bad icon (with X)

Ray

Oct 10, 2012, 9:07:49 PM10/10/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure about this problem. As I said, I have the same router and I don't seem to have the problem you are encountering. I think you may want to check the JeeLabs forum. The EtherCard library is from JeeLabs.

Mike Morris

Oct 11, 2012, 11:52:50 AM10/11/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
No response from JeeLabs yet.

Mike Morris

Oct 11, 2012, 7:30:36 PM10/11/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
It was a bad Ethernet cable after all. Thanks for the great support and awesome project.

Ray

Oct 12, 2012, 9:41:19 AM10/12/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
Cool, I am glad it worked out.