RavenDB stops working after Windows Update - KB4487017

Paweł Pekról

Feb 14, 2019, 10:33:27 AM2/14/19
Hi Guys,

We've got a few reports recently that RavenDB server crashes shortly after startup e.g. https://groups.google.com/d/topic/ravendb/WZQaVKt7IxM/discussion

We figured out that this is related to a recent Windows Update - KB4487017 (February 12, 2019). It's only applied to instances running Windows 10 April 2018 Update (version 1803). It doesn't affect Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) on which RavenDB starts without issues.

The error is reported in Event Viewer like so:

Application: Raven.Server.exe
CoreCLR Version: 4.6.27129.4

We've confirmed that it affects all RavenDB 4.x versions and uninstalling KB4487017 updates fixes the problem. We've reported that to Microsoft already.

Holly Plyler

Feb 14, 2019, 10:42:35 AM2/14/19
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Dang you windows. Thank god mines running on Linux. Lol.

This message and its attachments contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited to disclose, copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on the contents of this information. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free, as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.

*Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Federico Lois

Feb 14, 2019, 11:04:57 PM2/14/19
to rav...@googlegroups.com
We have confirmation that the problem was caused by some deep kernel calls going awry. Microsoft is working around the clock with us to find a solution for it.

If you are running Windows 10 April 2018 Update (version 1803) the best course of action is to skip KB4487017 until they issue a fix for it because being OS there is no guarantee other software would not be affected too, and to what extent it would be.

Federico

Arkadiusz Palinski

Feb 15, 2019, 4:37:35 AM2/15/19
Pasting link to CoreCLR issue for reference: https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr/issues/22597
--
Arkadiusz Paliński
Team Leader   /   Hibernating Rhinos LTD

Judah Gabriel Himango

Feb 15, 2019, 2:02:04 PM2/15/19
Just adding a +1 here.

One of the guys on my team at 3M recently hit an issue where he downloaded the newest Raven (4.1.4) and it immediately crashed on startup. Further debugging showed it was a CLR issue, with the Event Viewer showing "The process was terminated due to an internal error in the .NET Runtime at IP..."

Oddly myself and the other devs couldn't repro on our machine. (Perhaps because we didn't have KB4487017 installed?)

His resolution was to run on a slightly older builder of Raven, a 4.x build. It worked.

-Judah