Elegant Way to migrate entire Database From SqlSever

Shubha Lakshmi

Oct 20, 2017, 4:58:46 AM10/20/17
Are there any examples of tools/packages available which automate data transfer between SQLServer and Raven DB, preserving all unique constraints. I was unable to find one from Raven DB Documentation.
TIA

Judah Gabriel Himango

Oct 20, 2017, 3:01:54 PM10/20/17
Hi Shubha,

There isn't any such example, because we don't recommend doing that.

Moving from SQL to NoSQL isn't a matter of mapping tables and constraints from one place to another. The shape of your objects will change moving to NoSQL; your constraints will change, your identifiers will change, the business logic will shift from database to app.

I recommend reading Challenges when Moving to NoSQL, it documents some of the things to take into consideration when migrating to Raven.

-Judah

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Oct 22, 2017, 3:22:38 AM10/22/17
to ravendb
Shubha,
Following up on Judah, moving from SQL to RavenDB is not typically something that you can just do by shoving the relation data to RavenDB.

That said, we actually have a feature in 4.0 that you can use to point RavenDB to an existing relational database which would try to import the data, this is meant for initial exploration and is not meant for production migration without proper modeling.
We are currently working on the UI for this and we expect this to be available by the next release.

Hibernating Rhinos Ltd

Oren Eini l CEO Mobile: + 972-52-548-6969

Office: +972-4-622-7811 l Fax: +972-153-4-622-7811