RavenDB opensource license confusion

Beyers Cronje

Jul 24, 2012, 9:30:17 AM7/24/12
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Recently on the open source project Orchard CMS there was a question asked why Orchard does not make use of RavenDB. One of the project coordinators replied that: "When you put your website in production, then it's a commercial licence that you need."

My understanding is that his statement is incorrect and if you use Orchard as-is along with any open source orchard modules you are permitted to use the free RavenDB license. However if you purchase or develop any proprietary closed sourced modules/plugins and integrate that with your Orchard deployment only then would you need to purchase the commercial license.

Is my understanding correct? The use case seems similar to using Raven in Raccoon Blog which I believe is allowed using the free Raven License?

Beyers

Beyers Cronje

Jul 24, 2012, 9:35:25 AM7/24/12
to rav...@googlegroups.com
In case someone wants to follow the Orchard forum thread:  http://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/274921

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Jul 24, 2012, 10:31:22 AM7/24/12
to rav...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you understanding is correct.

Oren Eini (Ayende Rahien)

Jul 24, 2012, 10:31:36 AM7/24/12
to rav...@googlegroups.com
And yes, that is why RaccoonBlog can exist.