Having trouble at 4:10 (:e app/views/welcome/index.html.erb)

fragged

Jul 15, 2012, 10:35:48 PM7/15/12
to railsin...@googlegroups.com

Hello all,

I was doing fine with the install up until about the 4:10 mark of the video.  I cannot replicate what is happening...(where he enters :e app/views/welcome/index.html.erb at the bottom of the terminal).

Any advice?  I realize it is probably something very simple but this is all very new to me.  For what it's worth I searched this group before posting and couldn't find an answer :-)

Best,

Julian

The video:

Me:

Luis Lavena

Jul 15, 2012, 11:32:58 PM7/15/12
On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 11:35 PM, fragged <jul...@bottol.com> wrote:

Hello all,

I was doing fine with the install up until about the 4:10 mark of the video.  I cannot replicate what is happening...(where he enters :e app/views/welcome/index.html.erb at the bottom of the terminal).

Any advice?  I realize it is probably something very simple but this is all very new to me.  For what it's worth I searched this group before posting and couldn't find an answer :-)

Can be you more precise on what can't you replicate? Perhaps you mean the colors? I believe that is vim configuration.

Note that "vim" is just one editor, the idea are the contents, and what you edit in it, not precisely the editor.

--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17

julian

Jul 16, 2012, 10:13:31 AM7/16/12
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
Sure,

You notice in the screenshot of the video at the bottom he is typing :e app/...

I cannot get to the bottom of the terminal like that to enter ":e app/views/welcome/index.html.erb
also, my terminal isn't displaying app/controllers/welcome_controller.rb towards the bottom like in the video.

Perhaps this is supposed to look different (OSX 10.7.4) but up until this step everything looked very similar.

-Julian

Evan Machnic

Jul 16, 2012, 10:24:26 AM7/16/12
to railsin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Julian,

My guess is that you may be in the wrong mode when trying to enter the ":e" command. Vim is modal so you need to be in "Normal" mode to but if you still need clarification on what that means, you may want to use a different editor.

Thanks,
Evan

Luis Lavena

Jul 16, 2012, 10:25:24 AM7/16/12
On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:13 AM, julian <jul...@bottol.com> wrote:
> Sure,
>
> You notice in the screenshot of the video at the bottom he is typing :e
> app/...
>
> I cannot get to the bottom of the terminal like that to enter ":e
> app/views/welcome/index.html.erb
> also, my terminal isn't displaying app/controllers/welcome_controller.rb
> towards the bottom like in the video.

This means you're not familiar with vim.

I strongly recommend you open the editor you're used to, locate the
file in question and perform the changes shown in the video.

> Perhaps this is supposed to look different (OSX 10.7.4) but up until this
> step everything looked very similar.

Every developer customize their editor of preference to their taste,
most likely you don't have such customizations.