[ANN] LogCabin development

Diego Ongaro

Dec 3, 2014, 2:31:56 PM12/3/14
to raft...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Now that I've graduated, I bet some of you are wondering what'll
happen to LogCabin. I'm pleased to announce that Scale Computing will
be supporting me to continue development of LogCabin and bring it to a
production-ready state. Once LogCabin is ready, we're planning to
integrate it into Scale's private cloud offering. The goal is to
replace a home-grown Paxos implementation in the short term, and
possibly to remove a ZooKeeper dependency later on.

LogCabin is currently in that awkward adolescent phase between
research and mature product. The core Raft implementation is in OK
shape, but the surrounding system needs more love, especially in the
areas of operational usability, the interface presented to clients,
and the storage layer. It also needs to undergo system-level testing,
and I'm sure more things will come up as we try to take the system to
production.

Rest assured, all of my development on LogCabin and any improvements
to Raft will continue to be open source. My current plan is to spend
about two days a week on this project, and we might even see some
open-source contributions from others at Scale.

Now would be a really good time for anyone who is using or planning to
use LogCabin to reach out (either here on raft-dev or privately). Of
course, we'd love to collaborate with others in development, but even
just a show of hands would be useful so we can keep your needs in mind
as we evolve the system.

Best,
Diego

Jordan Halterman (kuujo)