List of RadioDNS services and their supported features? RadioVis feature set

UliW

Nov 28, 2016, 12:45:11 PM11/28/16
to RadioDNS developers
Hello all,

thank you for reading this.

I want to check whether my RadioVis implementation is working properly, so I would like to test as many services as possible. Is there any database that collects the services? E.g. can I get a dump of the RadioDNS DNS server? Do I have to become a member to get access to this kind of data, maybe? I didn't find any...

For example, I wanted to check how services are implementing RadioVis, especially whether anyone is using odd timestamps and category/slideid. I checked 2 stations:

1. German (bavaria) station anenne bayern: /topic/fm/de0/d318/10130/image @ vis.antenne.de:61613
- no CategoryID
- no SlideID
- no trigger-time

From my judgement of the standard, the device should discard all slides. Would you agree?

This service also seems to be wasting my internet bw. by sending me the same images (back to back!) with different urls and different message-ids.

2. Captialfm (the one from all the examples) /topic/fm/ce1/c479/09580/image @ vis.musicradio.com:61613
- no CategoryID
- no SlideID
- trigger-time:NOW

This is pretty straight forward.

This service wastes my internet bandwidth in another way:

I'm requesting
"Display-Height: 1080"
"Display-Width: 1920"
"Display-PPI: 74"

The service seems to be upscaling the images to match my preferred resolution. I think it should not be doing this, but return the images without upscaling, right?

3. I would like to see some services which implement slideshow categories so that I can test "advanced profile". Can anyone name any?

4. Also, I'd be interested whether anyone has seen non-NOW timestamps out there in the IP-wild and if so, which service is using it.

Thank you,

Uli

James Cridland

Nov 28, 2016, 10:32:02 PM11/28/16
to RadioDNS developers
> I would like to test as many services as possible. Is there any database that collects the services?

I would also like to be able to test the IRT RadioDNS-compatible DAB receiver, which is a free download at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.irt.hybridradio.lg

I'm in Brisbane, Australia, and have tried a few services on DAB but found nothing. How could I find a list of services to test?

//j

Nick Piggott (RadioDNS)

Nov 29, 2016, 12:56:29 AM11/29/16
to RadioDNS developers
Hello Uli,

Thanks for your post. I'll try and give you some answers:

I want to check whether my RadioVis implementation is working properly, so I would like to test as many services as possible. Is there any database that collects the services? E.g. can I get a dump of the RadioDNS DNS server? Do I have to become a member to get access to this kind of data, maybe? I didn't find any...

In common with other DNS providers, we don't publish the zone. However, the Steering Board has discussed creating a page on the website where broadcasters can provider their broadcast parameters and/or FQDN, to allow for developers to test against. We have a Steering Board meeting scheduled for the next fortnight, so I'll raise this issue again.

1. German (bavaria) station anenne bayern: /topic/fm/de0/d318/10130/image @ vis.antenne.de:61613
- no CategoryID
- no SlideID
- no trigger-time

From my judgement of the standard, the device should discard all slides. Would you agree?

Where there is no trigger-time, the image should be cached, pending a potential update with a new Trigger-Time.

However, I agree that if Antenne Bayern is never sending trigger-time, then their implementation is functionally useless.

This service also seems to be wasting my internet bw. by sending me the same images (back to back!) with different urls and different message-ids.

This is also not entirely compliant with the specification. The same slide ought to have the same URL (for caching purposes). It may have different message-ids.

I know that Antenne Bayern wrote this implementation some years ago, and it's plugged into their DAB Slideshow sender, which is why is behaves the way it does. I will contact their technology team and get hem to at least fix the missing trigger-time parameter.

2. Captialfm (the one from all the examples) /topic/fm/ce1/c479/09580/image @ vis.musicradio.com:61613

This service wastes my internet bandwidth in another way:

I'm requesting
"Display-Height: 1080"
"Display-Width: 1920"
"Display-PPI: 74"

The service seems to be upscaling the images to match my preferred resolution. I think it should not be doing this, but return the images without upscaling, right?

As far as I'm aware you should be getting a natively scaled image, not an upscaled one. I saw Ben Poor from Global yesterday afternoon, and he told me that they've just moved to a new platform internally, and he's going to check today that it is sending the native resolution. You're correct that if the native image size is not being provided to fill the required rectangle, then it should return the largest native image that fits within the requested rectangle, and allow the device to upscale locally to fit.

I would check with Alex Ert @ IRT, as I believe he's implemented Categorisation on the VIS feeds for some of the ARD services. Contact the project office on feed...@radiodns.org if you'd like me to put you in direct contact with him.

4. Also, I'd be interested whether anyone has seen non-NOW timestamps out there in the IP-wild and if so, which service is using it.

I've never seen any. As Visual Slideshow is compatible between DAB and IP, the trigger-time<>NOW scenario is potentially more useful in DAB, where the visual made need to be sent some time ahead of triggering.

The RadioDNS Testing Platform is available for members who want to test their device implementations. That has a mix of compliant and deliberately non-compliant tests, and also does include a test for trigger-time<>NOW and then re-timing trigger-time subsequently.

Nick

Nick Piggott (RadioDNS)

Nov 29, 2016, 12:59:27 AM11/29/16
to RadioDNS developers
Hello,

As I noted to Uli, the Steering Board has discussed creating page on the site where broadcasters could opt to provide their broadcast parameters and/or FQDN information, which would help implementers test on a wider range of "real-life" services. I'll get it on the agenda for the next meeting.

Thanks for the nudge,

Nick

UliW

Nov 29, 2016, 5:07:10 AM11/29/16
to RadioDNS developers
Thank you all for your feedback. Within one night I'm getting feedback from the makers as well as some fellow people that are facing similar issues. Cheers to you!

I'll look into the ARD services you (Nick) mentioned. If I need any contact person I'll let you know.

Thanks!

James Cridland

Nov 29, 2016, 6:42:10 PM11/29/16
to radiodns-...@googlegroups.com
>>As I noted to Uli, the Steering Board has discussed creating page on the site where broadcasters could opt to provide their broadcast parameters and/or FQDN information, which would help implementers test on a wider range of "real-life" services<<

Hi - that's not quite what I asked for.

The use-case is that I have a RadioDNS-compliant device; and I'm in Brisbane. Is any service, at all, running with RadioDNS? Or is the only option to slowly scan the DAB and FM wavebands?

I'm sure developers would like to know the extent of RadioDNS service availability in countries across the world. Consumers, too, would be keen to understand whether a device with a RadioDNS logo on it is of any benefit to them.

Perhaps I'll go digging a little and run some tests.

//j

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RadioDNS developers" group.

https://james.cridland.net - get my weekly newsletter
https://media.info - the media information website

Tel: +61 447 692 743UK tel: 020 7100 1811 ('till midday)

Amazingly Brilliant Pty Ltd | ABN 30 612 913 514

UliW

Dec 1, 2016, 6:22:38 PM12/1/16
to RadioDNS developers
I would also like a list very much.

I tried some of the ARD stations, but I'm not getting any slides.

The ones that I picked all point to radiovis.irt.de:61613, but the server does not like my "CONNECT\n\n\0", it seems, it's not answering CONNECTED, but closing the connection.

On Tuesday, 29 November 2016 03:32:02 UTC, James Cridland wrote:
> I would like to test as many services as possible. Is there any database that collects the services?

I would also like to be able to test the IRT RadioDNS-compatible DAB receiver, which is a free download at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.irt.hybridradio.lg

I'm in Brisbane, Australia, and have tried a few services on DAB but found nothing. How could I find a list of services to test?

//j

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RadioDNS developers" group.

Robin Cooksey

Dec 2, 2016, 5:18:09 AM12/2/16
to radiodns-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Something you might find useful is:

https://radiodns.org/developers/testing-tools/

This provides an online testing tool where you can enter the DAB broadcast parameters, and it will test RadioVIS etc.

This should allow you to verify that a broadcaster is working as expected – so that it perhaps points to a client implementation issue.

Best regards,

Robin

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/radiodns-developers?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RadioDNS developers" group.

https://james.cridland.net - get my weekly newsletter

https://media.info - the media information website

Tel: +61 447 692 743UK tel: 020 7100 1811 ('till midday)

Amazingly Brilliant Pty Ltd | ABN 30 612 913 514

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RadioDNS developers" group.

UliW

Dec 2, 2016, 4:45:20 PM12/2/16
to RadioDNS developers
Ah, I used to know about this one... Thanks for the reminder. Seems like something is wrong on the broadcaster side. After waiting several seconds, I'm getting:

502

The page request was canceled because it took too long to complete

Other broadcasters are working.

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/radiodns-developers?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RadioDNS developers" group.

https://james.cridland.net - get my weekly newsletter

https://media.info - the media information website

Tel: +61 447 692 743UK tel: 020 7100 1811 ('till midday)

Amazingly Brilliant Pty Ltd | ABN 30 612 913 514

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RadioDNS developers" group.

Nick Piggott (RadioDNS)

Dec 4, 2016, 4:06:11 PM12/4/16
to RadioDNS developers
Hi Uli,

I think the IRT STOMP server is down. I will notify them tonight. IRT acts as a quasi-proxy to the 11 different ARD member stations, each of whom provide their own Visuals system (for RadioVIS and Slideshow). At some point, I think each ARD member may take over running their own RadioDNS systems, as part of an integration with their existing content management and playout systems.

Nick