DRAFT Fair Use Policy for using Metadata and Content

Nick Piggott

Sep 15, 2016, 7:52:02 AM9/15/16
to RadioDNS Announcements
[cross posted from RadioDNS Developers]

Hello,

At our Automotive and Broadcaster Workshop, the issue of "Fair Use" of metadata and content provided using RadioDNS' standards was raised.

In response, RadioDNS has started work on a Fair Use Policy document, and we are circulating this first draft for comments.

This document is not intended to be a licence or a contract document, but we would expect that the licences that broadcasters offer manufacturers would not contradict the principles laid out in the Fair Use Policy.

UPDATE:
Since the original distribution, we're received a number of comments directly to the project office (feed...@radiodns.org).

Two clarifications will be made for the next version:
* The Fair Use Policy doesn't restrict use of metadata and content in any way, but an end-user should probably check uses not described in the Fair Use Policy.
* The Fair Use Policy doesn't enforce licensing or use of client identification keys. It just says that *if* a manufacturer would like to get a licence or a client identification key, they can be reasonably confident a broadcaster will give them one.

Best regards

Nick Piggott
Project Director

RadioDNS-DraftFairUsePolicyforBroadcasterSuppliedMetadataandContent-v0.1-September2016.pdf

Nick Piggott

Oct 20, 2016, 6:13:47 AM10/20/16
to RadioDNS Announcements
Hello,

Thank you to everyone who has commented on the first draft of our proposal to define an acceptable use for broadcaster supplied metadata and content.

As a result the document has been renamed to "Guidelines for Broadcaster Supplied Metadata and Content for Broadcast Radio Services". The aim is the same, but the name better reflects the intention.

To get the latest version, and to comment on it, please visit this thread on our Developers' group.

Best regards

Nick Piggott
Project Director