Best to ask here or on Stackoverflow from a language promotion perspective?

Lux

Dec 9, 2015, 6:33:14 AM12/9/15
to Racket Users
I have several questions about Racket and DrRacket to ask in the next days. I have a feeling if I ask them on Stackoverflow.com it can be a minuscule contribution to its promotion as a language (spreading the word), and I can accept to receive less answers there.

It can contribute also to the increase of reputation points (which can be of some utility) of the experts answering.

But I think also a low traffic mailing list can be depressing... Pardon me if I reason "politically" here, even if my single action can do little I like to try to go for the best way. And I really want to raise attention over Racket for reason already exposed in the past (shortly: it is great).

So, what is the best way?

Matthew Butterick

Dec 9, 2015, 1:33:32 PM12/9/15
to Racket Users
> So, what is the best way?

Neither will help promote the language, I'm afraid.

But if you post your questions on this mailing list, it will bring the list a little more traffic, and thus, by your reasoning, make it a happier place. Whereas Stack Overflow will be depressing no matter what.

Here's one good way to promote the language:

1) Make something impressive with Racket.
2) When someone asks "how did you make that?" give Racket all the credit.

Don't cut corners in step (1).

Alex Harsanyi

Dec 9, 2015, 6:32:24 PM12/9/15
to Racket Users
On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 2:33:32 AM UTC+8, Matthew Butterick wrote:

> Here's one good way to promote the language:
>
> 1) Make something impressive with Racket.

Not the original poster, but does this count?

https://github.com/alex-hhh/ActivityLog2

it is a fitness tracker for cycling, running and swimming activities. Basically, if you use Garmin Connect, but wanted something that keeps the data on your local computer instead of the cloud, you might want to look at it :-)

> 2) When someone asks "how did you make that?" give Racket all the credit.

Well, I did credit Racket and the plot package in the About box...

Best Regards,
Alex.

Emmanuel Oga

Dec 9, 2015, 8:01:24 PM12/9/15
to Racket Users
On Wednesday, December 9, 2015 at 3:32:24 PM UTC-8, Alex Harsanyi wrote:
> On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 2:33:32 AM UTC+8, Matthew Butterick wrote:
>
> > Here's one good way to promote the language:
> >
> > 1) Make something impressive with Racket.
>
> Not the original poster, but does this count?
>
> https://github.com/alex-hhh/ActivityLog2
>
> it is a fitness tracker for cycling, running and swimming activities. Basically, if you use Garmin Connect, but wanted something that keeps the data on your local computer instead of the cloud, you might want to look at it :-)

Screenshot or did not happen :-).

Also, do you run this under windows? Making a .exe available would help too... some people is lazy enough to not want to install Racket, then figure out how to build your program! :-p

Alex Harsanyi

Dec 9, 2015, 9:30:01 PM12/9/15
to Racket Users

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5h4XOdkim72VHpFQk56TDRqaEU&usp=sharing

> Also, do you run this under windows? Making a .exe available would help too... some people is lazy enough to not want to install Racket, then figure out how to build your program! :-p

Yes, it runs on Windows and one can build a standalone executable by following the instructions in the readme file.

Best Regards,
Alex.

Emmanuel Oga

Dec 10, 2015, 2:32:54 AM12/10/15