What does PLT stand for?

Gary Schiltz

May 18, 2020, 10:12:11 AM5/18/20
to Racket Users
I thought it would be easy to find the answer to this (unimportant) question, but I haven't found one yet. Like a song I can't get out of my head, I keep looking, so please help satisfy my curiosity...

Geoffrey Teale

May 18, 2020, 10:50:19 AM5/18/20
to Gary Schiltz, Racket Users
I believe it stands for "Programming Languages Team" - there was/is a cross-university research group of that name.
--
Geoff <tealeg>

On Mon, 18 May 2020 at 16:12, Gary Schiltz <gary.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
I thought it would be easy to find the answer to this (unimportant) question, but I haven't found one yet. Like a song I can't get out of my head, I keep looking, so please help satisfy my curiosity...

Gary Schiltz

Shriram Krishnamurthi

May 19, 2020, 2:46:57 PM5/19/20
to Racket Users
Originally it was the Programming Languages Theory group at Rice University.

Then, around the time of creation of Racket, the team branched out beyond Theory, so we decided the T might stand also for Technology, Tools, etc.

Eventually we decided it just stood for Programming Languages Team.

Then we branched out of Rice, and created local PLT groups. By then, PLT had ceased to mean anything specific at all: all those child PLTs were in homage to the original one of that name.

These days, "PLT" seems to be widely used on the interwebs to mean "programming language theory" in a generic sense (not tied to any particular group), which I still find jarring. But many of us still call our groups PLT (https://www2.ccs.neu.edu/racket/, https://plt.eecs.northwestern.edu/, https://www.cs.utah.edu/plt/, https://cs.brown.edu/research/plt/, etc.).

Shriram