Bintray installs broken (by Erlang 22 release?)

Shaheed Haque

May 15, 2019, 11:26:02 AM5/15/19
to rabbitmq-users
Hi,

I have a script which encodes the installation instructions at https://www.rabbitmq.com/install-debian.html#apt-bintray for Ubuntu Bionic. This had been running fine earlier today, but it is now failing, with what looks an Erlang 22-induced incompatibility. The obvious symptom is that the install attempt fails like this:

========
rabbitmq-server : Depends: erlang-base (< 1:22) but 1:22.0-1 is to be installed or
erlang-base-hipe (< 1:22) but it is not going to be installed or
esl-erlang (< 1:22) but it is not installable
Depends: erlang-crypto (< 1:22) but 1:22.0-1 is to be installed or
esl-erlang (< 1:22) but it is not installable
Depends: erlang-eldap (< 1:22) but 1:22.0-1 is to be installed or
esl-erlang (< 1:22) but it is not installable
Depends: erlang-inets (< 1:22) but 1:22.0-1 is to be installed or
esl-erlang (< 1:22) but it is not installable
Depends: erlang-mnesia (< 1:22) but 1:22.0-1 is to be installed or
esl-erlang (< 1:22) but it is not installable
Depends: erlang-os-mon (< 1:22) but 1:22.0-1 is to be installed or
esl-erlang (< 1:22) but it is not installable
Depends: erlang-parsetools (< 1:22) but 1:22.0-1 is to be installed or
esl-erlang (< 1:22) but it is not installable
Depends: erlang-public-key (< 1:22) but 1:22.0-1 is to be installed or
esl-erlang (< 1:22) but it is not installable
Depends: erlang-runtime-tools (< 1:22) but 1:22.0-1 is to be installed or
esl-erlang (< 1:22) but it is not installable
Depends: erlang-ssl (< 1:22) but 1:22.0-1 is to be installed or
esl-erlang (< 1:22) but it is not installable
Depends: erlang-syntax-tools (< 1:22) but 1:22.0-1 is to be installed or
esl-erlang (< 1:22) but it is not installable
Depends: erlang-tools (< 1:22) but 1:22.0-1 is to be installed or
esl-erlang (< 1:22) but it is not installable
Depends: erlang-xmerl (< 1:22) but 1:22.0-1 is to be installed or
esl-erlang (< 1:22) but it is not installable
========

I'm not au-fait with all the intricacies of the RabbmitMQ versus Erlang versioning, so it is not clear to me how to fix this. FWIW, the intent of the script is to install the latest supported version of RabbmitMQ, and the sources.list entries generated by the script look like this:

========
$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bintray.rabbitmq.list
deb https://dl.bintray.com/rabbitmq-erlang/debian bionic erlang
deb https://dl.bintray.com/rabbitmq/debian bionic main
========

Any help much appreciated, as I am rather stuck.

Thanks, Shaheed

Michael Klishin

May 15, 2019, 11:53:28 AM5/15/19
to rabbitmq-users

MK

Michael Klishin

May 15, 2019, 12:01:15 PM5/15/19
to rabbitmq-users
The following source list will install Erlang 21.3.x without version pinning:

We will consider releasing 3.7.15 sooner than anticipated. Erlang 22.0 shipped about 3 weeks earlier than expected.

Michael Klishin

May 15, 2019, 12:23:09 PM5/15/19
to rabbitmq-users
The Debian guide [1] has been updated to make version pinning more prominent
and recommend 21.3.x first (for now).

Next release (including previews) will support Erlang 22.0 [2].

Shaheed Haque

May 15, 2019, 12:26:53 PM5/15/19
to rabbitmq-users
Thanks for the rapid reply. I'l try the "erlang-21.x" fix when I next respin, and watch out for 3.7.15 announcements in this list...

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rabbitmq-users/7ea386af-a07b-4414-a8b5-a78db9b87c39%40googlegroups.com.

MK

Umut KARCI

May 16, 2019, 5:32:55 AM5/16/19
to rabbitmq-users
Hi,

I also use bionic and when I use erlang-21.x component, it throws lots of warnings. I also tried to use rabbitmq-server-v3.7.x component, but apt still says `erlang-base (< 1:22) but it is not going to be installed`. I'm using a fresh install of bionic and these are my sources

deb [arch=amd64] https://dl.bintray.com/rabbitmq-erlang/debian bionic erlang-21.x
deb [arch=amd64] https://dl.bintray.com/rabbitmq/debian/ bionic rabbitmq-server-v3.7.x

These are the warnings,

W: Skipping acquire of configured file 'erlang-21.x/i18n/Translation-en_US' as repository 'https://dl.bintray.com/rabbitmq-erlang/debian bionic InRelease' doesn't have the component 'erlang-21.x' (component misspelt in sources.list?)
<14 more lines>
W: Skipping acquire of configured file 'rabbitmq-server-v3.7.x/cnf/Commands-amd64' as repository 'https://dl.bintray.com/rabbitmq/debian bionic InRelease' doesn't have the component 'rabbitmq-server-v3.7.x' (component misspelt in sources.list?)

This is a major setback for me and I can't wrap my head around the issue. I think component definitions are missing on bintray repos.
When I check Release file only three components are listed, `Components: elixir erlang x` and this might be the cause of my issue.

I checked erlang-base and rabbitmq-server from apt show command, they both report correct versions, yet does not install, even the older versions.

Package: erlang-base
Version: 1:21.3.8.1-1
APT-Sources: https://dl.bintray.com/rabbitmq-erlang/debian bionic/erlang-21.x amd64 Packages

Package: rabbitmq-server
Version: 3.7.14-1
Depends: erlang-base (>= 1:20.3) | esl-erlang (<< 1:22)
APT-Sources: https://dl.bintray.com/rabbitmq/debian bionic/rabbitmq-server-v3.7.x amd64 Packages

Best Regards

15 Mayıs 2019 Çarşamba 19:01:15 UTC+3 tarihinde Michael Klishin yazdı:

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rabbitmq-users/7ea386af-a07b-4414-a8b5-a78db9b87c39%40googlegroups.com.

MK

Michael Klishin

May 16, 2019, 8:24:49 AM5/16/19
to rabbitmq-users
The warnings are, well, warnings. Packages are not required to provide translation files and we never have.

Let me reiterate what the problem is and what your range of options are until RabbitMQ 3.7.15 is released [1].

RabbitMQ 3.7.14 was released in late March and listed Erlang 22 as unsupported because back in February, it actually wasn't.
Then in March and April we made RabbitMQ compatible with Erlang 22 and decided to ship 3.7.15 in mid- or late May.
On May 14th (IIRC), Erlang 22 GA dropped to our surprise (Erlang GA releases usually happen in June).

So the package is not compatible with 22 and that's what the `erlang` component currently provides as latest.
`erlang-21.x` still only provides 21.3.x, so your first option is to use it. Warnings DO NOT prevent apt from updating
indices or installing packages.

Apt supports a mechanism of pinning a package or set of packages to a version and/or repository. This is explained in the RabbitMQ Debian installation guide [2].
Pinning erlang-* package

Lastly, you can use Erlang Solutions repository to install Erlang 21.3.x. This will likely also require apt version pinning
if you go the apt route (as opposed to dpkg -i) [3].

Using the erlang-21.x component is the option I'd prefer. This way you wouldn't have to re-pin when new patch releases come out.

Umut KARCI

May 16, 2019, 8:29:35 AM5/16/19
to rabbitm...@googlegroups.com
Okay, got it working. Seems like my fault, I thought that pc didn't had any erlang 22 packages but it had, I purged them and it worked. My problem was not removing the updated packages.

Thank you for your time.

Michael Klishin

May 16, 2019, 8:42:43 AM5/16/19
to rabbitmq-users
May I ask you to confirm what your source looks like? Did you use pinning?

We are trying to get 3.7.15 out the door ASAP.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "rabbitmq-users" group.

Umut KARCI

May 16, 2019, 8:58:30 AM5/16/19
to rabbitm...@googlegroups.com, rabbitmq-users
My source is like this:

deb [arch=amd64] https://dl.bintray.com/rabbitmq-erlang/debian bionic erlang-21.x
deb [arch=amd64] https://dl.bintray.com/rabbitmq/debian/ bionic rabbitmq-server-v3.7.x

I did not used pinning, just purged all erlang and rabbitmq packages and reinstalled.

Will 3.7.15 continue to support 21.x releases of erlang or am will I be required to change to 22.x soon?

Michael Klishin

May 16, 2019, 9:37:19 AM5/16/19
to rabbitmq-users
There is a dedicated doc section [1] on Erlang version support policy adopted on Jan 1st, 2019.

Michael Klishin

May 16, 2019, 10:49:08 AM5/16/19
to rabbitmq-users
To wrap this up, [1] now contains a shell snippet that would install apt-transport-https,
fetch the signing key, set up the repos that provision Erlang 21.x and RabbitMQ, update package indices
and install RabbitMQ.

Thank you for bringing this up, I hope the guide is more detailed now and recommends a safer apt component
(even though it's a matter of package dependencies for now).

Our next step is to get 3.7.15 through final rounds of QA and ship it.

Ian Kelly

May 20, 2019, 11:15:31 AM5/20/19
to rabbitmq-users
Hi

Thanks for all your assistance with this. This solution worked for me (on xenial) for several days, then this morning my build has broken saying
bintray doesn't have an amd64 package any more for xenial erlang-21.x.

Any advice would be welcome

===
W: The repository 'https://dl.bintray.com/rabbitmq-erlang/debian xenial Release' does not have a Release file.
E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
===

Stephen E

May 21, 2019, 3:20:35 AM5/21/19
to rabbitmq-users
I'm experiencing the recent xenial repository outage as well. This seems consistent with looking at http://dl.bintray.com/rabbitmq-erlang/debian/dists/ directly (where "buster" is now the only distribution listed).

Umut KARCI

May 21, 2019, 4:04:32 AM5/21/19
to rabbitmq-users
Same here, and even in buster, there's only i386 arch listed as an option. But pool has appropriate files for manual installation.

ersen kavak

May 21, 2019, 10:47:08 AM5/21/19
to rabbitmq-users
Dear Michael,

We were depending on installing rabbitmq from the repository. But for the last few days it has been problematic.
I was wondering if you have a plan to solve this problem? Or may be you are not the right person to do this ? (sorry if that is the case)
Should we switch to package cloud, alternatively?

Thank you very much for this great software

Michael Klishin

May 21, 2019, 11:49:08 AM5/21/19
to rabbitmq-users
Our Erlang org has reached a storage quota with the 22.0.1 release [1]
while our entire team started a week long off-site.
We've cleaned up some space and will republish the release.

We will introduce a package/version cleanup job similar to what we have for alpha releases.
Our Erlang RPM packages are available from PackageCloud which never had any outages
that I can remember [2]. Debian packages of Erlang are not available from PackageCloud. We will
consider publishing them there but it can increase our PackageCloud spending bill beyond what our
team can justify.

FTR, Bintray still doesn't have sane quota monitoring tooling in place on the open source plan.
We only get a warning when we reach 85% of the quota, and it is a warning only available in the old UI.
I am not aware of an API endpoint for monitoring. So quota monitoring cannot be automated
by our team AFAICT.