[rabbitmq-discuss] Access for "external" users

Mikhail Sobolev

Mar 22, 2012, 3:10:55 PM3/22/12
to rabbitmq...@lists.rabbitmq.com
Hi,

We use rabbitmq for message exchange in the internal system. What we'd
like to do is to make it possible for "external" users to subscribe to
some of the messages.

Could you please advise how to do that? :)

--
Misha

Simon MacMullen

Mar 23, 2012, 6:46:27 AM3/23/12
to Mikhail Sobolev, rabbitmq...@lists.rabbitmq.com
On 22/03/12 19:10, Mikhail Sobolev wrote:
> We use rabbitmq for message exchange in the internal system. What we'd
> like to do is to make it possible for "external" users to subscribe to
> some of the messages.
>
> Could you please advise how to do that?:)

Err, create logins for them?

It's not very clear what you're asking here.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware

Mikhail Sobolev

Mar 23, 2012, 2:34:19 PM3/23/12
to rabbitmq...@lists.rabbitmq.com
Hi Simon,

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 10:46:27AM +0000, Simon MacMullen wrote:
> On 22/03/12 19:10, Mikhail Sobolev wrote:
> >We use rabbitmq for message exchange in the internal system. What we'd
> >like to do is to make it possible for "external" users to subscribe to
> >some of the messages.
> >
> >Could you please advise how to do that?:)
>

> It's not very clear what you're asking here.

I have realized that after having re-read the origin message :) Thanks
for pointing that out. Let me try again.

We have a system that publishes messages about "interesting" events to a
topic exchange (let's say 'happenings').

We'd like interested parties (= "external users") to:
* be able to create a transient queue that is bound to this exchange
* not be able to do anything else (create exchanges, create durable
queues, publish messages)

Is it possible to use permissions system to limit a given login (since
we'd like them to use a common username/password) in such a way?

--
Misha

Simon MacMullen

Mar 26, 2012, 9:18:29 AM3/26/12
On 23/03/12 18:34, Mikhail Sobolev wrote:
> Is it possible to use permissions system to limit a given login (since
> we'd like them to use a common username/password) in such a way?

Mostly - see http://www.rabbitmq.com/access-control.html for details.
You can prevent them from creating exchanges or publishing messages. You
can ensure they can only create server named queues. But you can't
prevent them from creating durable queues.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware

Mikhail Sobolev

Mar 26, 2012, 12:14:54 PM3/26/12

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 02:18:29PM +0100, Simon MacMullen wrote:
> On 23/03/12 18:34, Mikhail Sobolev wrote:
> >Is it possible to use permissions system to limit a given login (since
> >we'd like them to use a common username/password) in such a way?
>
> Mostly - see http://www.rabbitmq.com/access-control.html for details.
> You can prevent them from creating exchanges or publishing messages. You
> can ensure they can only create server named queues. But you can't
> prevent them from creating durable queues.

I somehow overlooked the abovementioned page, thank you.

Any suggestions on how to prevent stacking up the "undelivered"
messages?

--
Misha

Tony Garnock-Jones

Mar 26, 2012, 12:21:44 PM3/26/12
to Simon MacMullen, rabbitmq...@lists.rabbitmq.com
On 26 March 2012 09:18, Simon MacMullen <si...@rabbitmq.com> wrote:
Mostly - see http://www.rabbitmq.com/access-control.html for details. You can prevent them from creating exchanges or publishing messages. You can ensure they can only create server named queues. But you can't prevent them from creating durable queues.

Isn't it possible to forbid them from creating any queues at all? It'd be useful to be able to let people publish as much as they like (to certain exchanges), but to forbid them from creating or deleting any exchanges or any queues.

Tony
--
Tony Garnock-Jones
tonygarn...@gmail.com

Simon MacMullen

Mar 26, 2012, 12:25:48 PM3/26/12
to Tony Garnock-Jones, rabbitmq...@lists.rabbitmq.com
On 26/03/12 17:21, Tony Garnock-Jones wrote:
> Isn't it possible to forbid them from creating any queues at all? It'd
> be useful to be able to let people publish as much as they like (to
> certain exchanges), but to forbid them from creating or deleting any
> exchanges or any queues.

Oh, yes. But the OP wanted to let them create some types of queues but
not others.

Tony Garnock-Jones

Mikhail Sobolev

Mar 27, 2012, 8:47:46 AM3/27/12
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 12:16:26PM +0200, Brendan Hay wrote:
> You could write a custom middleware (to modify the queue.declares) for:
> https://github.com/brendanhay/myxi
> Example for adding x-ha-policy:
> https://github.com/brendanhay/myxi/blob/master/apps/myxi/src/myxi_ha_middleware.erl
>
> Although, as the author, I wouldn't recommend it (yet) =)
Thanks, Brendan. I'll certainly have a look.