[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ Streaming

Richard Holt

Jan 25, 2010, 3:37:34 AM1/25/10
to rabbitmq...@lists.rabbitmq.com

Hi All,

I was wondering if there is a java implementation of the Stream. functions
i.e. Stream.Publish e.t.c.

We are using very large files in some cases and the Basic.Publish balks at
very large messages as does the client JVM.

Regards,

Richard

Paul Jones

Jan 25, 2010, 4:00:01 AM1/25/10
to Richard Holt, rabbitmq...@lists.rabbitmq.com
Hi Richard,

At this point, neither Rabbit nor the clients support the stream functions. However, it shouldn't be too difficult to do this yourself. It has been discussed a number of times on the list before - one of the simplest solutions is to break your stream up into pieces yourself, and then include a custom header indicating when the stream is finished.

Cheers,
Paul.

Richard Holt

Jan 25, 2010, 4:16:25 AM1/25/10
to rabbitmq...@lists.rabbitmq.com

Hi thanks for that it was what i expected as i saw the posts you mention.

I just wanted to clarify that there wasn't implicit support from the
AMQ.Stream code out of the box that just hadnt been linked into the java
libraries.

What has been discussed seems to indicate the use of the Basic.Publish
mechanism with tailored header support around it.

I was hoping there would be something already written which would allow
this.

Regards,

Richard Holt wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering if there is a java implementation of the Stream. functions
> i.e. Stream.Publish e.t.c.
>
> We are using very large files in some cases and the Basic.Publish balks at
> very large messages as does the client JVM.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard

Paul Jones

Jan 25, 2010, 4:35:17 AM1/25/10
to Richard Holt, rabbitmq...@lists.rabbitmq.com
Not that I know I'm afraid. If you do end up writing code to do it though (and manage to separate it from the rest of your codebase), I'm sure many in the community would be interested in using it.

Richard Holt

Jan 25, 2010, 4:50:07 AM1/25/10
to rabbitmq...@lists.rabbitmq.com

Thanks and yes I am sure they would :) we will have to see if we have the
time do this work first though as we anticipated a smaller time to develop
this than appears to be necessary now.

Richard Holt

Jan 25, 2010, 5:42:46 AM1/25/10
to rabbitmq...@lists.rabbitmq.com

I have just been reading the specification and it may be that the file
contents class is more relevant has anyone put this client in place or do i
need to write this?

thanks

Richard Holt wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering if there is a java implementation of the Stream. functions
> i.e. Stream.Publish e.t.c.
>
> We are using very large files in some cases and the Basic.Publish balks at
> very large messages as does the client JVM.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard

Alexis Richardson

Jan 25, 2010, 5:43:52 AM1/25/10
to Richard Holt, rabbitmq...@lists.rabbitmq.com
Richard

What language are you working in?

If it's Ruby, then Nanite supports streaming by chunking, over RabbitMQ, iirc.

alexis

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Richard Holt

Richard Holt

Jan 25, 2010, 6:00:35 AM1/25/10
to rabbitmq...@lists.rabbitmq.com

We are primarily a java house as such we would prefer to work with that if
possible. If however this cuts out the work then ruby may become a
possibility.

Alexis Richardson

Jan 25, 2010, 6:05:33 AM1/25/10
to Richard Holt, rabbitmq...@lists.rabbitmq.com
OK.

There are some file transfer java classes out there in the wild. I
cannot recall where, but google may help a bit here.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Richard Holt

Richard Holt

Jan 25, 2010, 6:22:07 AM1/25/10
to rabbitmq...@lists.rabbitmq.com

i have just found 2 posts which discuss the removal of both these facilities
from the specification anyway so is it a good idea for us to even consider
this route?

Richard Holt wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering if there is a java implementation of the Stream. functions
> i.e. Stream.Publish e.t.c.
>
> We are using very large files in some cases and the Basic.Publish balks at
> very large messages as does the client JVM.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard

Alexis Richardson

Jan 25, 2010, 7:05:08 AM1/25/10
to Richard Holt, rabbitmq...@lists.rabbitmq.com
Richard

Yes it is fine for you to do this. The use case is common and valid.
However that does not mean it needs to be spelt out in the spec
itself. One thing we realised about AMQP is that it says a bit too
much in the spec. It needs to talk about *messaging* - everything
else is an application of messaging.

alexis

asaf david

Mar 8, 2011, 4:15:44 PM3/8/11
to rabbitmq...@googlegroups.com, rabbitmq...@lists.rabbitmq.com
Did you end up implementing this? If possible, I'd really love seeing the code as i have to do the same thing exactly
thanks