R-SPEC Meeting on September 2, 2014: Flash Fiction Exercise

1 view

Alan

Aug 28, 2014, 6:54:08 AM8/28/14
to r-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello, R-SPECers!

We're going to try something a little different during next Tuesday's R-SPEC meeting. Read on...

September 2014: Flash Fiction Exercise

The challenge of writing short stories with fewer than 1,000 – or even 500 – words can be both exciting and, perhaps, a bit daunting. Join us for our September 2 meeting and explore the answers to these burning questions and many more:

What is flash fiction and microfiction? How do I start? What about character and plot development? What do I leave in? And what must I leave out?

This exercise is meant as a fun opportunity to write a really short story from scratch using speculative fiction prompts we will provide, and then, if desired, you may read aloud your flash story to receive feedback from the other attendees.

Bring your favorite (but quiet) writing system – be it quill, ink, and paper or an electronic tablet. (Please, no noisy typewriters.) After describing the exercise process and selecting prompts, the Writing Phase begins. Alternatively, feel free to bring a previously written flash story. Please make sure the word count is no higher than 1,200 words.

Since our meeting space is not conducive to writing and reading aloud at the same time, individuals and small groups may venture to other locations in the B&N store (or outside, weather permitting) to write and to get feedback. Otherwise, we’ll share our flash stories with the group during the Reading Phase.

Moderator: Alan Vincent Michaels

Meeting Time: September 2, 2014 from 7:00 - 9:00 p.m.

Regards,
Alan

Kurt Schweitzer

Aug 28, 2014, 7:59:32 AM8/28/14
to r-s...@googlegroups.com
I’ve posted it to the Facebook page. I’m really looking forward to this meeting.

Kurt