SBCL 1.1.7 okay with Quicklisp?

djw

Apr 26, 2013, 9:39:08 AM4/26/13
to quic...@googlegroups.com
I recall that last month's SBCL 1.1.6 release had conflicts with some Quicklisp functions.

Has anyone investigated the soon-to-be-released SBCL 1.1.7 to determine if those conflicts are resolved and no new dramas occur?

_don

Zach Beane

Apr 26, 2013, 9:40:51 AM4/26/13
to quic...@googlegroups.com
I've built the Quicklisp universe with pre-1.1.7, and there's one minor
incompatibility with the make-hash library. It's fixed in the git repo
of make-hash and the next Quicklisp update will have the fix.

That's all I found.

Zach

Donald Winiecki

Apr 26, 2013, 9:53:15 AM4/26/13
to quic...@googlegroups.com
What is the release cycle for Quicklisp?

_don

Zach Beane

Apr 26, 2013, 9:54:36 AM4/26/13
to quic...@googlegroups.com
Donald Winiecki <dwin...@boisestate.edu> writes:

> What is the release cycle for Quicklisp?

I try to update the libraries once per month.

Zach

Donald Winiecki

Apr 26, 2013, 10:05:50 AM4/26/13
to quic...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all of your work to support us!

I note that an update to QL libraries occurred about a week ago.
Should I expect updates to appear about the middle of any given
calendar month?

_don

Zach Beane

Apr 26, 2013, 10:07:13 AM4/26/13
to quic...@googlegroups.com
I try to make updates on the first weekend of each month, but it doesn't always work out that way.

Zach

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Quicklisp" group.

Donald Winiecki

Apr 26, 2013, 10:43:14 AM4/26/13
to quic...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. If I add these lines to my .sbclrc, will I it always succeed
in pulling in the new dists, and client update when launching SBCL (at
the terminal or with SLIME) or is there something interactive that
means I should run these separately from a REPL?

;;; Automatically get updated Quicklisp files, if available
;;; from http://www.quicklisp.org/beta/#installation
(ql:update-all-dists)

;;; Automatically get updated Quicklisp client, if available
;;; from http://www.quicklisp.org/beta/#installation
(ql:update-client)

_don

Zach Beane

Apr 26, 2013, 11:03:45 AM4/26/13
to quic...@googlegroups.com
Donald Winiecki <dwin...@boisestate.edu> writes:

> Thanks. If I add these lines to my .sbclrc, will I it always succeed
> in pulling in the new dists, and client update when launching SBCL (at
> the terminal or with SLIME) or is there something interactive that
> means I should run these separately from a REPL?
>
> ;;; Automatically get updated Quicklisp files, if available
> ;;; from http://www.quicklisp.org/beta/#installation
> (ql:update-all-dists)
>
> ;;; Automatically get updated Quicklisp client, if available
> ;;; from http://www.quicklisp.org/beta/#installation
> (ql:update-client)

They are normally interactive, but you could add :prompt nil or wrap in
ql-util:without-prompting.

I'm not sure why you might want to always update things like that,
though. I only update when there's something I know I need in a new
version of a library.

Zach

Donald Winiecki

Apr 26, 2013, 11:59:00 AM4/26/13
to quic...@googlegroups.com
Your implication is well-taken. I'm a bit of a fuss when it comes to
maintaining my tools but it surely can shift one's focus from
working-WITH-tools to working-ON-your-tools, so you can get back to
the first part...

_don

Tom Emerson

Apr 26, 2013, 12:35:04 PM4/26/13
to quic...@googlegroups.com
The downside of automatically updating every time you start SBCL is that you could end up with a situation where your stable set of libraries gets frotzed after an SBCL or QuickLisp update. Sometimes packages change in incompatible ways (didn't this happen with Hunchentoot at one point) and you want to have control over that.

Just my $0.02, fwiw.

    -tree

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Quicklisp" group.

Donald Winiecki

Apr 26, 2013, 12:36:57 PM4/26/13
to quic...@googlegroups.com
Roger that.

Best to check with the list before such a move. I'll keep those
update lines out of my .sbclrc

_don

Zach Beane

Apr 26, 2013, 12:40:13 PM4/26/13
to quic...@googlegroups.com
Tom Emerson <trem...@gmail.com> writes:

> The downside of automatically updating every time you start SBCL is that
> you could end up with a situation where your stable set of libraries gets
> frotzed after an SBCL or QuickLisp update. Sometimes packages change in
> incompatible ways (didn't this happen with Hunchentoot at one point) and
> you want to have control over that.

This is true, but I think mitigated by the ability to go back to a
previous comprehensive set of Quicklisp libraries fairly easily.

Zach

Tom Emerson

Apr 26, 2013, 12:49:24 PM4/26/13
to quic...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Zach Beane <xa...@xach.com> wrote:
This is true, but I think mitigated by the ability to go back to a
previous comprehensive set of Quicklisp libraries fairly easily.

True enough. Speaking of which, is there a command to toss unneeded packages? After a couple of years my quicklisp/dists/quicklisp/{archives,software} is pretty noisy with old versions of packages I'll never use.

    -tree

Zach Beane

Apr 26, 2013, 12:50:58 PM4/26/13
to quic...@googlegroups.com
Sorry about that. I need to make it automatic, but until then, you can do something like this:

  (map nil 'ql-dist:clean (ql-dist:all-dists))

Zach