apt-get update problem quick2wire

Maddox

Jul 28, 2013, 3:16:20 PM7/28/13
to quick2wi...@googlegroups.com

by Maddox » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:00 am
When trying to update/upgrade my pi (same problem on multiple pi's), it hangs while trying to connect to dist.quick2wire.com (see below). Eventually (5 minutes), update terminates with:

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Indeed, when I try to connect via a browser, the page can't be found (it looks like google cached a version of it on July 17).

Any thoughts on how to fix?

CODE: SELECT ALL
$ sudo apt-get update
Hit http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy Release.gpg
Hit http://archive.raspberrypi.org wheezy Release.gpg
Hit http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy Release
Hit http://archive.raspberrypi.org wheezy Release
Hit http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/main armhf Packages
Hit http://archive.raspberrypi.org wheezy/main armhf Packages
Hit http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/contrib armhf Packages
Hit http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/non-free armhf Packages
Hit http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/rpi armhf Packages
Ign http://archive.raspberrypi.org wheezy/main Translation-en_GB
Ign http://archive.raspberrypi.org wheezy/main Translation-en
Ign http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/contrib Translation-en_GB
Ign http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/contrib Translation-en
Ign http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/main Translation-en_GB
Ign http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/main Translation-en
Ign http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/non-free Translation-en_GB
Ign http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/non-free Translation-en
Ign http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/rpi Translation-en_GB
Ign http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/rpi Translation-en
Err http://dist.quick2wire.com wheezy Release.gpg
  Something wicked happened resolving 'dist.quick2wire.com:http' (-5 - No address associated with hostname)
86% [Connecting to dist.quick2wire.com]
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:44 am
by Dutch_Master » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:27 am
A "WHOIS" query reveals the domain has last changed on July 24, so it could be the DNS has not propagated yet (4 days in? not likely!)

The domain is linked to a company "SK Pang Electronics Ltd" who's PO box resides in Essex. If you do the query yourself you'd find a phone number and email address for the owner. (I'm not publishing that here, for obvious reasons...)

However, this domain works: http://quick2wire.com/

SUKKIN PANG

Jul 29, 2013, 2:58:32 AM7/29/13
to quick2wi...@googlegroups.com
It should be ok now. Please try again.

Andrew Scheller

Jul 29, 2013, 5:25:40 AM7/29/13
to quick2wi...@googlegroups.com
I see that http://quick2wire.com/about-us/ now says:
"The quick2wire website and order fulfilment are now run by SK Pang
Electronics Ltd."
and there's been small updates to various pages.
However there's a link on http://quick2wire.com/about-quick2wire/
which goes to http://quick2wire.mygostore.co.uk/i2c-pcf8591-analogue-board.html
which doesn't work.
And now you've fixed dist.quick2wire.com it might be worth setting up
a suitable redirect on the old store.quick2wire.com domain too?
And you may want to set a favicon, rather than having it displaying
the default Plesk icon.

I guess this means that the old Quick2Wire as-was is now defunct?
(which I'd suspected for a while, given the lack of updates/activity)
How long will the remaining stock of Quick2Wire products be supported
for by SK Pang?

Andrew

On 29 July 2013 07:58, SUKKIN PANG <s...@skpang.co.uk> wrote:
> It should be ok now. Please try again.
>

> On Sunday, July 28, 2013 8:16:20 PM UTC+1, Maddox wrote:
>>

>> by Maddox » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:00 am
>> When trying to update/upgrade my pi (same problem on multiple pi's), it
>> hangs while trying to connect to dist.quick2wire.com (see below). Eventually
>> (5 minutes), update terminates with:
>>
>> E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old
>> ones used instead.
>>

>> Indeed, when I try to connect via a browser, the page can't be found (it
>> looks like google cached a version of it on July 17).
>>
>> Any thoughts on how to fix?
>>
>> CODE: SELECT ALL$ sudo apt-get update
>> Hit http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy Release.gpg
>> Hit http://archive.raspberrypi.org wheezy Release.gpg
>> Hit http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy Release
>> Hit http://archive.raspberrypi.org wheezy Release
>> Hit http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/main armhf Packages
>> Hit http://archive.raspberrypi.org wheezy/main armhf Packages
>> Hit http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/contrib armhf Packages
>> Hit http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/non-free armhf Packages
>> Hit http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/rpi armhf Packages
>> Ign http://archive.raspberrypi.org wheezy/main Translation-en_GB
>> Ign http://archive.raspberrypi.org wheezy/main Translation-en
>> Ign http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/contrib Translation-en_GB
>> Ign http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/contrib Translation-en
>> Ign http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/main Translation-en_GB
>> Ign http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/main Translation-en
>> Ign http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/non-free Translation-en_GB
>> Ign http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/non-free Translation-en
>> Ign http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/rpi Translation-en_GB
>> Ign http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org wheezy/rpi Translation-en
>> Err http://dist.quick2wire.com wheezy Release.gpg
>> Something wicked happened resolving 'dist.quick2wire.com:http' (-5 - No
>> address associated with hostname)
>> 86% [Connecting to dist.quick2wire.com]

>> by Dutch_Master » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:27 am
>> A "WHOIS" query reveals the domain has last changed on July 24, so it
>> could be the DNS has not propagated yet (4 days in? not likely!)
>>
>> The domain is linked to a company "SK Pang Electronics Ltd" who's PO box
>> resides in Essex. If you do the query yourself you'd find a phone number and
>> email address for the owner. (I'm not publishing that here, for obvious
>> reasons...)
>>
>> However, this domain works: http://quick2wire.com/

SUKKIN PANG

Jul 29, 2013, 2:41:55 PM7/29/13
to quick2wi...@googlegroups.com, raspb...@loowis.durge.org
Hi Andrew,

I'm the new owner of the quick2wire domain and products.

The dist.quick2wire.com should now be fixed.
The  store.quick2wire.com should now be redirected to skpang.co.uk store

I'm having a bit of a problem with the favcon. I've updated the favcon.ico in Wordpress but it is not showing up.

As for Quick2wire products they will be keep going and supported. In fact more add on boards are in development.

Sukkin

SUKKIN PANG

Jul 29, 2013, 2:54:30 PM7/29/13
to quick2wi...@googlegroups.com, raspb...@loowis.durge.org
Favcon should now fixed. Please refresh and try it.

Andrew Scheller

Jul 29, 2013, 4:24:06 PM7/29/13
to quick2wi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sukkin, that's great to hear.
I look forward to seeing what other add-on boards you come out with! :-)

Andrew