Wired Intenet Connection

Mike Grobstein

Nov 26, 2014, 10:06:51 PM11/26/14
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Hello All,

I have not been able to establish a connection to the Internet through my Ethernet cable. I constantly get the message “device not managed” in the Net VM. I also created a Proxy VM wherein I do get notified that I am connected to System eth0, but I still can’t connect to the Internet.

I ran ”systemctl --all” in the Konsole and noticed that 11 packages are “Not Found” including NetworkManager. Both versions R2 and R2rc2 (downloaded from sourceforge.net) showed this. Don’t I need NetworkManager in order to establish a connection? Can someone explain how I can get this package on my system or otherwise show me how to access the Internet through a wired connection? I’m completely new to Linux, so I expect that I may be missing something obvious.

Thanks,

Mike

Gorka Alonso

Nov 27, 2014, 4:18:34 AM11/27/14
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, yan...@unseen.is

El jueves, 27 de noviembre de 2014 04:06:51 UTC+1, Mike Grobstein escribió:

Hello All,

I have not been able to establish a connection to the Internet through my Ethernet cable. I constantly get the message “device not managed” in the Net VM. I also created a Proxy VM wherein I do get notified that I am connected to System eth0, but I still can’t connect to the Internet.

A proxy VM will notify you are connected because you are connected (to the NetVM). It does not mean your NetVM is connected.
IMHO, the relevant message is the provided at your NetVM, the "device not managed" one.

I ran ”systemctl --all” in the Konsole and noticed that 11 packages are “Not Found” including NetworkManager. Both versions R2 and R2rc2 (downloaded from sourceforge.net) showed this. Don’t I need NetworkManager in order to establish a connection?

I think so, but others could confirm. I believe that your network card could be working (no extra firmware/drivers needed), but some packages are missing.

Can someone explain how I can get this package on my system or otherwise show me how to access the Internet through a wired connection?

I’m completely new to Linux, so I expect that I may be missing something obvious.

Without network, I guess the easier way to installl the packages is manually copying the RPM's to a USB, attach the USB device to the template you want to install the package, and install it from there.

I would suggest you to point out all the missing packages, so people could guess what is broken / missing and give advice on what URL you could download the packages from.

Zrubi

Nov 27, 2014, 4:32:48 AM11/27/14
to Mike Grobstein, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 11/27/14 04:06, Mike Grobstein wrote:

> I have not been able to establish a connection to the Internet through
> my Ethernet cable. I constantly get the message “device not managed” in
> the Net VM.

https://wiki.qubes-os.org/wiki/UserFaq:

Why does my network adapter not work?

You may have an adapter (wired, wireless), that is not compatible with
open-source drivers shipped by Qubes. There may be a binary blob, which
provides drivers in the linux-firmware package.

Open a terminal and run sudo yum install linux-firmware in the
TemplateVM upon which your NetVM is based. You have to restart the NetVM
after the TemplateVM has been shut down.

--
Zrubi

signature.asc

Mike Grobstein

Nov 27, 2014, 6:24:52 AM11/27/14
to Gorka Alonso, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Thanks. The packages listed as “not found” are as follows:

ip6tables.service

iptables.service

libvirtd.service

livesys-late.service

lvm2-activation-early.service

lvm2-activation.service

NetworkManager.service

systemd-random-seed-load.service

syslog.target

This is with the R2rc2 release, which I now have installed. I think there were two more with the R2 version.

Mike Grobstein

Nov 27, 2014, 6:47:59 AM11/27/14
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
When I type in "sudo yum install linux-firmware," I get Errno 14, Curl #37, Couldn't open file /var/lib/qubes/updates/repodata/repomd.xml.
In case it makes a difference, I'm running a Dell XPS 17 with Windows 7 x64. The router is a D-Link DSL-504T.

---

Hakisho Nukama

Nov 27, 2014, 7:24:03 AM11/27/14
to Mike Grobstein, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Don't run this command in dom0. Use the Terminal in
TemplateVM (fedora-20-x64).

If your machine has no internet connection at all you've to find
a way to download and transfer the package to your TemplateVM.

On a Fedora-20-x64 machine with a working internet connection run
# yumdownloader --resolve --destdir=. <package>

Transfer the packages from your destdir to your TemplateVM and run
# yum install /path/to/package

Best Regards,
Hakisho Nukama

Mike Grobstein

Nov 30, 2014, 9:57:00 PM11/30/14
to Hakisho Nukama, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I now have linux-firmware installed. My network adaptor is listed under "lspci" but I do not have interface detected under "ipconfig -a." I also found that NetworkManager is installed and active in NetVM. (My previous list of programs not found were from the dom0 terminal.) However, I still cannot get an Internet connection.

I don't believe that my system is much different than anyone else's. It would be a great help if someone could show me step-by-step how to set up a wired Internet connection once Qubes is first installed. There's not much one can do with this OS until the network connection is established.

Zrubi

Dec 1, 2014, 4:18:10 AM12/1/14
On 12/01/14 03:56, Mike Grobstein wrote:
> Thanks. I now have linux-firmware installed. My network adaptor is listed under "lspci" but I do not have interface detected under "ipconfig -a." I also found that NetworkManager is installed and active in NetVM. (My previous list of programs not found were from the dom0 terminal.) However, I still cannot get an Internet connection.
>
> I don't believe that my system is much different than anyone else's. It would be a great help if someone could show me step-by-step how to set up a wired Internet connection once Qubes is first installed. There's not much one can do with this OS until the network connection is established.

Every PC type can be different...
But You seems to have have problmes with your network card.

To be able to help you we need to know what card do you have.
qubes-hcl-report script (run it in dom0) tell you that.

As I checked your hardware it should be a standard Intel network card,
in this case, you should run this command in the netvm terminal:

dmesg |grep e1000

--
Zrubi

signature.asc

Mike Grobstein

Dec 1, 2014, 5:21:04 PM12/1/14
to Zrubi, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for taking the time to look into this. I've attached the output from running "qubes-hcl-report" and "dmesg." I tried "dmesg |grep e1000" but nothing happened.

Dec 2, 2014, 2:35:25 AM12/2/14
On 12/01/14 23:20, Mike Grobstein wrote:
> Thanks for taking the time to look into this. I've attached the output from running "qubes-hcl-report" and "dmesg." I tried "dmesg |grep e1000" but nothing happened.

As I see from dmesg your wireless card is also assigned there and that
is working, right?

To be sure please send your `lspci` output from dom0 and from your netvm
as well.

--
Zrubi

signature.asc

Mike Grobstein

Dec 2, 2014, 4:35:42 AM12/2/14
to Zrubi, qubes...@googlegroups.com
I attached the lspci output for dom0 and NetVM. I am getting notifications of available wireless networks, so I assume the wireless card works. I just don't use wireless because I prefer everything to be wired.

I realize that the Intel Core i5, 480M processor that I have does not support VT-d. As I understand it, I should still be able to use Qubes, but I won't be able to isolate NetVM. Could not having VT-d be part of the problem here?

Dec 2, 2014, 4:42:25 AM12/2/14
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, Mike Grobstein
Your wired network adapter seems to be not assigned to
your netvm.

Assign 0a:00.0 in the device tab of your netvm's VM settings
in qubes-manager.

Best Regards,
Hakisho Nukama

Zrubi

Dec 2, 2014, 4:45:31 AM12/2/14
On 12/02/14 10:35, Mike Grobstein wrote:
> I attached the lspci output for dom0 and NetVM. I am getting notifications of available wireless networks, so I assume the wireless card works. I just don't use wireless because I prefer everything to be wired.
>
> I realize that the Intel Core i5, 480M processor that I have does not support VT-d. As I understand it, I should still be able to use Qubes, but I won't be able to isolate NetVM. Could not having VT-d be part of the problem here?

No, the missing VT-d means that the PCI separation is not in hardware
level. So you not gain this security feature. But the PCI assigments
still working.

You problem is that you only have the wireless card attached to the
netvm. You have to add your ethernet card as well. (or to a separate
netvm if you prefer)

And after this you should see this output in netvm:
> 00:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6200 (rev 35)
> 00:01.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)

You should read this blog post:
http://theinvisiblethings.blogspot.hu/2011/09/playing-with-qubes-networking-for-fun.html

--
Zrubi

signature.asc

Mike Grobstein

Dec 3, 2014, 2:44:41 AM12/3/14
to Hakisho Nukama, qubes...@googlegroups.com, ma...@zrubi.hu
Fantastic! That was it, exactly. Once I added the Ethernet card as you suggested, the connection was automatic and immediate. How not knowing one simple operation can lead to a week of frustrations! Thanks again for your help.

> I attached the lspci output for dom0 and NetVM. I am getting notifications of available wireless networks, so I assume the wireless card works. I just don't use wireless because I prefer everything to be wired.
>
> I realize that the Intel Core i5, 480M processor that I have does not support VT-d. As I understand it, I should still be able to use Qubes, but I won't be able to isolate NetVM. Could not having VT-d be part of the problem here?

Hakisho Nukama

Dec 3, 2014, 4:48:44 PM12/3/14
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, Mike Grobstein
Great!

Was this a default Qubes installation (with creation of service vms),
or did you manually create your netvm and firewallvm?

If it was the first case, then it would be interesting to know,
because network devices are auto-magically assigned to netvm
during installation.
In the second case - no service vms created during install -
you have to assign them manually.

Best Regards,
Hakisho Nukama

Mike Grobstein

Dec 4, 2014, 4:10:15 AM12/4/14
to Hakisho Nukama, qubes...@googlegroups.com
This was with the default Qubes installation. It does seem surprising that the wireless card, but not the Ethernet card, would be activated automatically.

Now that I'm on the network, I got all my updates, created a Windows 7 VM and downloaded Qubes-Windows-Tools. After installation, I can't restart Windows and get a message in the terminal that qrexec is not connected. Since this is a different subject, I'll start a new thread with details and attachments.