I can't install Qubes 4.0

Djailz

May 4, 2018, 7:53:56 PM5/4/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have tried to install Qubes 4.0 by two different ways and i got errors. Attached with my e-mail there are screenshots (i hope you can see it).

*By DVD :
1. I can see a menu (photo 11.png). I selected first the second choice "Test media & Install Qubes R4". The result of media test is PASS, but the installer don't launch (photos 22.png and 33.png).
2. Then i selected the first choice "Install Qubes R4". I can see a graphical environment but the installer freeze (photo 44.png).
3. Then i selected the third choice "Troubleshooting" and "Install Qubes R4 in basic graphics mode". You can see the result in photo 5 5.png.
4. I ran a memtest. The result is PASS.
5. I use REFInd boot management. I selected "Boot EFI\BOOT\vmlinuz from ANACONDA" (photo 66.png) and after "Boot Fallback boot loader from ANACONDA" (photo 77.png). For both, you can see the result in photo 88.png.
6. I can edit some options for each boot (photo 99.png). I tried to follow some procedures https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/ but i'am not sure to do as it is mentionned. I'am not confident with it.

*By USB stick : The result is the same as step 5 above (photos 6, 7 and 8).

Caracteristics of my laptop are below :
GL753VD
Intel® Virtualization Technology "pour les E/S dirigées" (VT-d) and "Technologie de vitalisation d'Intel® (VT-x)" seems to be supported.

Last month, i successfully installed Qubes 3.2, but i couldn't launch Qubes. I didn't try to solve this problem because Qubes 4.0 has been released and you highly recommend to use it.

So, what do you think about these errors ? Can you help me ?

Thanks,
Djailz

Sergio Matta

May 4, 2018, 10:53:41 PM5/4/18
to qubes-users
My problem is at your picture 3. I tried other xdrivers and nothing. Anacona text install causes another problem with luks key. IMHO the install has no support for my graphics card. I am using nvidia gtx 1050ti with a 4k big tv, but I tried with radeon rx560 and rx460, too. Even 3.2 has the same problem.
Now I am using a old RC3 installed version, updated. If a fresh install will really be necessary, one day, who knows, I will look for an older graphics card. Good luck! :-)

vel...@tutamail.com

May 5, 2018, 10:25:24 AM5/5/18
to qubes-users
Having struggled with installation I have found trying different BIOS settings helps. Even what I thought was the most unrelated change in the BIOS sometimes worked including:

Legacy only
Turning off secure boot
LCD settings
Boot order

I wish I had a specific answer but have you tried changing these settings?

Djailz

May 7, 2018, 1:44:29 PM5/7/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Velcro or vel...@tutamail.com, I enabled/disabled all possible options in the BIOS and it have no effect to QubesR4 installation :
* DVMT 5.0 Pre-allocated (Fixed) Graphics Memory size (32 M or 64M) : no effect,
* UEFI network stack : no effect,
* SMART Self Test on all HDDs during POST : no effect,
* Intel AES-NI : no effect,
* Intel Virtualization Technologie (kept enabled by default): no effect,
* VT-d (kept enabled by default) : no effect,
* CSM support : no effect,
* Secure boot disabled, indeed.

Thanks you anyway,
Djailz

john

May 7, 2018, 2:36:30 PM5/7/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 05/07/18 07:44, 'Djailz' via qubes-users wrote:
> Hello,
> [Velcro or velcro-2xk3N/kkaK1Wk0Htik3J/w...@public.gmane.org](mailto:velcro-2xk3N/kkaK1Wk0Htik3J/w...@public.gmane.org), I enabled/disabled all possible options in the BIOS and it have no effect to QubesR4 installation :
https://www.qubes-os.org/support/

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#beprecise

vel...@tutamail.com

May 7, 2018, 5:03:53 PM5/7/18
to qubes-users

Do you have VT-x enabled? I managed to get mine installed when I changed the LCD/Display settings in the BIOS.

This is not my strong point but it sounds like you are close...