HCL - Asus ROG GL752VW-GS71-HID6

Ronald Duncan

Dec 7, 2016, 9:34:55 AM12/7/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
HCL-ASUSTeK_COMPUTER_INC_-GL752VW-20161207-142440

Needs nouveau.modeset=0 to run!!

Looks like everything is working
Ethernet
Wifi
usb

Issues during install I tried putting usb in a vm, (checking this and running under the net vm which hung the install.

Installing the default ticked vm's worked.

On installing from USB you need to do the following

just after installation - before reboot - go to tty2 (ctl+alt+F2) and edit
/mnt/sysroot/boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg and add nouveau.modeset=0 to the end of the Kernel= line
(not sure if its mounted at exactly /mnt/sysroot - see `mount` output to
be sure).

Big thanks to Marek!!
Regards
Ronald

Qubes-HCL-ASUSTeK_COMPUTER_INC_-GL752VW-20161207-142440.yml
Qubes-HCL-ASUSTeK_COMPUTER_INC_-GL752VW-20161207-142606.cpio.gz

Ronald Duncan

Jan 31, 2017, 11:09:15 AM1/31/17
to qubes-users
I tried reinstalling on the ssd, and it was a bit of nightmare.

I kept getting an error trying to start the sys-net VM with my PCI network card

Internel error:
Unable to reset PCI device 0000:03:00.1:
internal error: Active 0000:03:00.0 devices on bus with 0000:03:00.1
not doing bus reset

Tried sending echo -n "1" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:03:00.1/remove
but vm would not start up

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-users/o8eahbAg3q0/v1Ztl8aU-UkJ
Then removed the item via the gui which worked but means I can not use the ethernet card.

It shows as the same card in the above link.

The strange thing is that the first install onto the hard drive had no problems with the ethernet card???

Must have tried reinstalling about 10 times and got the error every time.

The wifi card works in both cases.

Regards
Ronald

> Ronald

Grzesiek Chodzicki

Jan 31, 2017, 1:46:27 PM1/31/17
to qubes-users
Check whether the network shares a controller with another device (such as the card reader). If it does, assign the second device to the sys-net.
If that fails run (in dom0) qvm-prefs -s sys-net pci_strictreset false

Andrew David Wong

Jan 31, 2017, 11:08:59 PM1/31/17
to qubes-users

Qubes Noob

Jul 9, 2017, 9:18:43 PM7/9/17
to qubes-users
Op woensdag 7 december 2016 09:34:55 UTC-5 schreef Ronald Duncan:
> Ronald

Hi Ronald,
Do I understand correctly from your posts that after dealing with the "nouveau.modeset=0"-issue, you in the end had everything working? (video, peripherals e.g. trackpad etc).
I am considering buying the GL753VE Asus Rog and hoping I would be able to run Qubes OS on it. Your GL752VW is the closest to the model I'm considering.
I'm a real noob at Linux (not even Mint) but eager to learn.
Any thoughts?

stepheni...@gmail.com

May 29, 2018, 8:12:27 PM5/29/18
to qubes-users
Hello Ronald!

I am also having trouble getting Qubes (or Fedora) installed on my ASUS GL752VW.

Did you ever get the issues fixed?

I'm trying Qubes 4.0, and the Installer (GUI or Text) will not start. It cannot start Xorg, and then processes hang forever preventing soft reboot/shutdown from the Shell tmux tab (provided in the Qubes 4.0 installer).

I'm basically stuck now. I've read everything in the links you provided, and everything on the reddit thread and the Qubes documentation, and I still cannot seem to find a solution.

I have also been looking into at least booting into Fedora 28 Live in order to try to get the Qubes install started from there, but even that will not boot up.

I have tested the RAM, tested the HDD, and tried with several combinations of UEFI or Legacy, etc, and nothing seems to be working.

Any advise for an aspiring Qubes user?

Thanks!

-Stephen