My Windows VM always stops after a while

lok...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2017, 1:24:59 AM4/13/17
to qubes-users
I have a Windows VM where I run Outlook for work purposes. It works great and I keep it in a separate xfce workspace. I'm running it in desktop mode (i.e. the Windows desktop is in a single Xfce window).

After a certain amount of time (hard to say how long, but I'd guess it's in the 30 minute to 1 hour range) the Windows desktop disappears, and in the Qubes manager the Windows VM is marked as yellow. It will stay yellow until I hard-kill the VM.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on, and what I can do to fix it?

Robert Fisk

Apr 13, 2017, 2:41:16 AM4/13/17
to lok...@gmail.com, qubes-users

lok...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2017, 11:39:06 AM4/13/17
to qubes-users, lok...@gmail.com, rober...@fastmail.fm
On Thursday, 13 April 2017 14:41:16 UTC+8, Robert Fisk wrote:

> I notice this problem when a Windows VM is left running, but doesn't
> receive any user input for 30min or more. The window will disappear
> when I'm not looking and I later find the VM stopped.
>
> In my case the solution is to use the VM, and it is reliable until the
> work is finished and I shut it down. Just a thought - have a look
> through the power saving & sleep options. It might be trying to "save
> power" and causing problems with Xen.

Thank you. That seems to be the cause. Power saving was indeed enabled with the system configured to suspend after 30 minutes. I turned it off, and the Windows VM hasn't crashed yet.