Umlauts are not displayed correctly in window title

Salmiakki

Apr 10, 2016, 2:35:37 PM4/10/16
to qubes-users

I am not sure if this is a bug, an accident or a security feature but I am getting things like this:
"[...] Angriffe auf kritische L__cke: Flash-Patch ist da [...]" in my firefox window title (also cf. screenshot)

Do I need to install a font or what is the lore on this?

Alex

Apr 10, 2016, 2:39:35 PM4/10/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 04/10/2016 08:35 PM, Salmiakki wrote:
> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-I3rHnrf5JMo/Vwqc2ub5lrI/AAAAAAAAAA0/jvjV--G-M70yzuAfl3527Ifvmwvqvtz7g/s1600/umlauts.png>
By default, to avoid potentially misleading character substitutions,
window titles are restricted to ascii-only characters. Any character
outside ASCII range, while correctly handled, is replaced with an
underscore.

You can allow utf-8 titles by enabling the setting with the same name in
/etc/qubes/guid.conf in dom0, either in the global: section or per-vm.

--
Alex

signature.asc

Salmiakki

Apr 10, 2016, 2:46:46 PM4/10/16
to qubes-users, alex...@gmx.com
That's what I expected but I couldn't come up with any actual problems. What are possible attacks using this?

Axon

Apr 10, 2016, 5:57:47 PM4/10/16
to Salmiakki, qubes-users, alex...@gmx.com

Salmiakki:
> That's what I expected but I couldn't come up with any actual
> problems. What are possible attacks using this?

I can't speak with certainty, but here are two ideas:

1. Exploiting a hypothetical bug in the gui-daemon and gui-agent code.

Allowing VMs to pass arbitrarily long strings without character type
restrictions might be unnecessarily increasing the attack surface of
the GUI code. From this point of view, it would make sense to impose a
character limit and a type limit (only ASCII characters). See this
message:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-devel/hSTXzoPtsUY/tRARAC0iD7QJ

2. Homograph attacks.

Homographs, in this context, are words or characters (homoglyphs)
which look the same but are actually different (e.g., the Latin
lowercase "a" and the Cyrillic lowercase "а"). By substituting a
lookalike character for the expected character, an attacker can fool
an unsuspecting victim into misidentifying the attacker's string as a
legitimate one. These types of attacks are most commonly used to spoof
domain names. You can read more about these types of attacks here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDN_homograph_attack

In Qubes, sanitizing window titles of non-ASCII characters by default
could protect against similar kinds of spoofing attacks. The risk of a
spoofed window title may not seem like much by itself, but there are
probably clever ways of combining this with other attacks in creative
ways (e.g., in order to gain the user's cooperation via the lookalike
window title) that we haven't even thought of yet.

(P.S. - Please avoid top-posting.)