HCL - HP EliteBook 2570p

Stephan Marwedel

Feb 21, 2017, 4:12:19 PM2/21/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I use Qubes successfully for my daily work and it works perfectly for me
on this machine. Thanks to the Qubes Team for making it possible,
especially providing i3 support in dom0. Although I cannot tweak the i3
configuration, as Qubes simply ignores the changes I made to the i3 key
bindings. But I can live with the standard configuration for the time being.

The only trouble I sometimes have is to correctly suspend and resume the
machine. This only works when I do not have an HVM Qube running. As soon
as I start my Windows 7 HVM Qube and try to suspend the machine, it
completely stalls and can only be recovered by a hardware reset.
According to the documentation, it should work, but I didn't yet manage
to get around this issue. Maybe it is a configuration issue with this
particular machine?

One question concerning hardware support: I must use a smartcard for
authentication at work. However, currently Qubes does not support the
built-in smartcard reader. Thus, it cannot be passed to a Qube. Using a
USB reader instead doesn't work either as a USB device cannot be passed
to the Windows 7 HVM. So I need to use a different machine for
authentication. Will there be any solution in the future?

In summary, Qubes is a reliable and secure solution for the mobile
desktop covering 99% of my daily tasks.
Qubes-HCL-Hewlett_Packard-HP_EliteBook_2570p-20170221-185259.yml

Stephan Marwedelq

Feb 21, 2017, 4:40:20 PM2/21/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I use Qubes successfully for my daily work and it works perfectly for me
on this machine. Thanks to the Qubes Team for making it possible,
especially providing i3 support in dom0. I cannot tweak the i3
configuration though. Qubes simply ignore the changes I made to the i3
key bindings, but I can live with the standard configuration.

The only trouble I sometimes have is to correctly suspend and resume the
machine. This only works when I do not have a HVM Qube running. As soon
as I start my Windows 7 HVM Qube and try to suspend the machine, it
completely stalls and can only be recovered by a hardware reset.
According to the documentation, it should work, but I didn't yet manage
to get around this issue. Maybe it is a configuration issue on this
machine?

One question concerning hardware support: I must use a smartcard for
authentication at work. However, currently Qubes does not support the
builtin smartcard reader. Furthermore, it cannot be passed to another
Qubes. Using a USB reader instead doesn't work either as a USB device
cannot be passed to the Windows 7 HVM. So I need to use a different
machine to authentication. Will there be any solution in the future?

In summary, Qubes is a reliable and secure solution for the mobile
desktop and covering 99% of my daily tasks.
Qubes-HCL-Hewlett_Packard-HP_EliteBook_2570p-20170221-183619.yml