Qubes Tools for Windows 3.0.2-1 released

Rafał Wojdyła

Aug 9, 2015, 3:31:43 PM8/9/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

The second public build of our Windows Tools for Qubes R3 is now
uploaded to the "unstable" repository. This should still be considered
experimental, so backup your VMs before installing.

The package can be installed by issuing the following command in dom0:

sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-unstable
qubes-windows-tools

Then proceed as usual:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/WindowsAppVms/#installing-qubes-support-too
ls-in-windows-7-vms

Known issues include:
1) It's recommended to set qrexec timeout for Windows HVMs to at least
120 (2 minutes) because in R3 dom0 doesn't try to reconnect if the
timeout elapses. I have it set to 300 on all my Windows VMs. The main
reason is that during the second reboot after tools installation user
profiles directory is being moved to the VM's private disk. This
operation is performed *before* VM's qrexec agent is started and can
take some time. To set this preference, use qvm-prefs:
qvm-prefs -s vmname qrexec_timeout 300

2) It's recommended to set the VM to automatically log on a user on
start (Win+R -> netplwiz -> uncheck "users must enter user name and
password...", provide credentials). This is due to changes on dom0
side causing that VM's gui daemon is only started after a user is
logged on in the VM. This will be fixed in the next release. If you
can't use autologon, you can manually start the VM's gui daemon in dom0:
/usr/bin/qubes-guid -d `xl domid vmname` -N vmname -Q
If you start the Windows VM using qvm-start from console you will see
when it's waiting for VM user logon.

3) Xen disk pvdrivers are disabled by default. This is because they
seemed to cause random, frequent BSODs during my testing. If you feel
adventurous you can enable them during installation by choosing
"custom" installation. Be warned, this will probably make your VM
unusable (but I welcome reports, maybe my hardware is faulty). I'm
working with the Xen folks to fix this issue. Unfortunately, this
means that *qvm-block will not work for Windows VMs*. If you need to
transfer files, use network or inter-VM file copying by qrexec.

4) Currently dom0 fully synchronizes VM's appmenus on every start.
This means that for a while after VM's start its menu in dom0 may be
unavailable or changing. This will be improved in the future.

If you're migrating from R2, here are instructions on how to uninstall
the old (R2) Windows Tools:
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-doc/blob/master/UninstallingWindowsTool
s2.md

- --
Rafał Wojdyła
Qubes Tools for Windows developer
https://www.qubes-os.org/

Vít Šesták

Aug 10, 2015, 12:31:05 PM8/10/15
to qubes-devel, qubes...@googlegroups.com
I've updated form the precious publicly available unstable version.

I've encountered many BSODs, so I looked at the HDD's driver. IT seemed to be the PV driver, so I uninstalled it and rebooted the computer. No BSOD so far, but Windows seems to install the PV driver automatically and want to a reboot :( Is there any way to prevent it?

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

Rafał Wojdyła

Aug 10, 2015, 1:42:35 PM8/10/15
to Vít Šesták, qubes-devel, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Rafał Wojdyła

Aug 10, 2015, 1:43:51 PM8/10/15
to Vít Šesták, qubes-devel, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Vít Šesták

Aug 10, 2015, 2:20:53 PM8/10/15
to qubes-devel, groups-no-private-mail--con...@v6ak.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Thank you. Removing those two files seems to have solved the BSODs. (I've done it without safe mode. The drivers were promised to be used after restart, so I suppose this to be safe in such situation.)

One issue I haven't mentioned. I have a StandaloneVM, so I don't care about it much. But it is somehow suboptimal…
During some installation phase, it tried to copy c:\users to d:\users. But it froze. It took many time without any HDD activity and without any indication of system liveness (although my profile is probably not that huge). So I killed the VM and started again. The script run again, but it had skipped moving c:\users, as d:\users had already existed. So my user profile is on c:.

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

raf...@elitemail.org

Aug 10, 2015, 3:15:09 PM8/10/15
On 08/10/2015 11:20 AM, Vít Šesták wrote:
> Thank you. Removing those two files seems to have solved the BSODs. (I've done it without safe mode. The drivers were promised to be used after restart, so I suppose this to be safe in such situation.) > > One issue I haven't mentioned. I have a StandaloneVM, so I don't
care about it much. But it is somehow suboptimal… > During some
installation phase, it tried to copy c:\users to d:\users. But it froze.
It took many time without any HDD activity and without any indication of
system liveness (although my profile is probably not that huge). So I
killed the VM and started again. The script run again, but it had
skipped moving c:\users, as d:\users had already existed. So my user
profile is on c:. > > Regards, > Vít Šesták 'v6ak' >

Did you set the qrexec_timeout first? I just installed the latest QWT
in to a standaloneVM and had no issues (with qrexec_timeout=300).

(from the original message):

Vít Šesták

Aug 10, 2015, 5:40:20 PM8/10/15
to qubes-devel, groups-no-private-mail--con...@v6ak.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com, raf...@elitemail.org
Yes, I did.

Even if I didn't, I saw the boot screen (because I was running it in non-seamless and debug mode) and no HDD activity.

I am not sure if the freeze is related to QWT. But I'd like to suggest that QWT recover from such situation better. Maybe something like that (pseudocode):
if not exists d:\Users (
    rmdir /s d:\Users.working
    copy c:\Users d:\Users.working
    ren d:\Users.working Users
    rmdir /s c:\Users
)
if not exists c:\Users (
    symlink d:\Users c:\Users
)

I am not sure about detailed Windows FS semantics (reordering), so there might be something wrong with such code (the code might require manual sync in order to be correct), but I hope the idea is clear. If there is no reordering issue, it should recover from such crash (or power outage or so…) correctly.

The code is pseudocode that reminds batch files. I don't remember all the details about batch files. (OK, there should be “xcopy” with some switch (maybe /E) instead of just “copy”. Well, rmdir maybe requires /Q instead of /s, not sure. And I don't remember how can one create a symlink on Windows.) It is some time ago I was regularly using Windows shell and writing batch files.

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

Vít Šesták

Aug 12, 2015, 2:09:54 PM8/12/15
to qubes-devel, groups-no-private-mail--con...@v6ak.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com, raf...@elitemail.org
It seems to be somehow more stable and fluent than the previous release. Network works without reconfiguring.

Issues I've encountered:
* Both receiving and sending files seem to work. However, when the VM receives a file (or a directory), the sending VM shows e.g. “sent 0/215 KB”, even if all the files are transferred.
* Seamless mode does not work for me. The VM starts and exits after some time, but I've no idea what happens in the meantime.
* I sometimes get messages like this one:
The Dom0 GUI daemon do not support protocol version 2057:60528, requested by the VM '×××××××'.
To update Dom0, use 'qubes-dom0-update' command or do it via qubes-manager

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

Aug 15, 2015, 3:01:47 AM8/15/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Rafał Wojdyła

Aug 15, 2015, 6:59:34 AM8/15/15
to Manuel Amador (Rudd-O), qubes...@googlegroups.com

Jason M

Aug 16, 2015, 3:24:17 PM8/16/15
to qubes-users, qubes...@googlegroups.com
I finally got around to converting my Qubes Release 2 'Windows VM' to Release 3.  I think I followed your instructions exactly but they first few times I ended up with BSOD on reboot, even with safe-boot.  [Make sure to clone a copy of it first; first time I did not and had to restore from backup :)]

There were were a few hiccups with the provided uninstall script.  First off, I did not run it with 'Administrative Privileges' so maybe that why I had an issue.

The first issue was getting the script on the Windows VM.  No real instructions on how to do that.  Also the script provided on web site is not formatted properly.  I was able to 'view source' of the web page then edit out HTML tags and convert the double and single quotes to normal ASCII quotes at which point I put it on a web site so I could download it with explorer.  I would suggest the script to be placed on github so users can enable safe mode with networking and then grab it.

I broke the script up into 8 smaller scripts to run each section at a time, and manually fixed where the script did not work.

I had to run regedit and manually delete these keys:
reg delete HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} /v UpperFilters /f
reg delete HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318} /v UpperFilters /f
reg delete HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} /v UpperFilters /f

The following file would not delete since I had not permission to delete.  I therefore changed directory and owner permissions and deleted the file, then changed permissions back.  Maybe if I ran command prompt as 'Administrator' this would not have happened?
del /q /s "%windir%\system32\qvgdi.dll"

Finally the script missed a oem.inf{pnf} pair in the /wiindows/inf directory.  I manually opened all the oem.* files looking for Qubes or Xen and deleted them.  This could be since the last time I used the R2 image was last year since I upgraded to R3 in about January, 2015.

Everything seems fine so far except I have no sound.  Is this expected?  I did not install Xen PV drivers as recommended.

Rafał Wojdyła

Aug 16, 2015, 4:13:43 PM8/16/15
to Jason M, qubes-users, qubes...@googlegroups.com

<https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-doc/blob/master/UninstallingWindowsToo
l>

> s2.md <http://s2.md>
>

> I finally got around to converting my /Qubes Release 2/ '/Windows
> VM'/ to /Release 3/. I think I followed your instructions exactly
> but they first few times I ended up with BSOD on reboot, even with
> safe-boot. [Make sure to clone a copy of it first; first time I did
> not and had to restore from backup :)]
>
> There were were a few hiccups with the provided uninstall script.
> First off, I did not run it with '/Administrative Privileges/' so
> maybe that why I had an issue.

Exactly, it needs to be run with admin privileges, I somehow forgot to
mention this.

> The first issue was getting the script on the /Windows VM/. No
> real instructions on how to do that.

True... It should probably be on the tools .iso image.

> Also the script provided on web site is not formatted properly. I
> was able to '/view source/' of the web page then edit out HTML tags
> and convert the double and single quotes to normal ASCII quotes at
> which point I put it on a web site so I could download it with
> explorer. I would suggest the script to be placed on /github/ so
> users can enable safe mode with networking and then grab it.

Strange, apparently the website parser doesn't accept the standard
markdown for preformatted text. I'll fix it.

> I broke the script up into 8 smaller scripts to run each section at
> a time, and manually fixed where the script did not work.
>
> I had to run regedit and manually delete these keys: reg delete
> HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08
002BE10318}

/v UpperFilters /f
> reg delete
> HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08
002bE10318}

/v UpperFilters /f
> reg delete
> HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08
002BE10318}

/v UpperFilters /f

> The following file would not delete since I had not permission to
> delete. I therefore changed directory and owner permissions and
> deleted the file, then changed permissions back. Maybe if I ran
> command prompt as '/Administrator/' this would not have happened?
> del /q /s "%windir%\system32\qvgdi.dll"
>
> Finally the script missed a oem.inf{pnf} pair in the/wiindows/inf
> directory. I manually opened all the oem.* files looking for
> /Qubes/ or /Xen/ and deleted them. This could be since the last
> time I used the /R2/ image was last year since I upgraded to /R3/
> in about January, 2015.
>
> Everything seems fine so far except I have no sound. Is this
> expected? I did not install /Xen PV drivers/ as recommended.

Yes, we don't have sound virtualization for Windows yet, but it's
planned for the future.

- --
Rafał Wojdyła
Qubes Tools for Windows developer
https://www.qubes-os.org/

Jason M

Aug 19, 2015, 3:36:53 PM8/19/15
to qubes-devel, nrg...@gmail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
@omeg

One other thing I noticed was that when Windows 7 is booted and the `desktop` is in focus the complete bottom toolbar does not respond to click events.  The top 5-10% of the toolbar does respond to click events on items in toolbar such as the `Start` menu while the bottom 90%ish does not respond to any click events which means I have to take care to click the top of any toolbar icon to launch, or increase toolbar since when I want to access time.

The interesting fact is that the area that does not respond to click events is the same size as my KDE toolbar that is located at the bottom on the screen, which also auto-hides.

Do you want me to create an issue of this or is it expected behaviour?

Rafał Wojdyła

Aug 20, 2015, 2:48:47 PM8/20/15
to Jason M, qubes-devel, qubes...@googlegroups.com

cprise

Aug 22, 2015, 5:13:14 PM8/22/15
to Rafał Wojdyła, qubes...@googlegroups.com
After following the instructions here and at the doc/WindowsAppVms page,
I had a problem with the network access. Network/sharing center reported
'Unidentified network' and 'No network access' when using the Xen PV
NIC. After 2 or 3 more reboots network access was restored.

Also, Device Manager says there is a 'XS0001 XENBUS VBD' without a
driver, but I suppose that is intentional (this is the problematic block
device you mentioned?).

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

Aug 23, 2015, 8:08:55 PM8/23/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Aug 25, 2015, 10:50:13 PM8/25/15
to Vít Šesták, qubes-devel, qubes...@googlegroups.com, raf...@elitemail.org

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Aug 25, 2015, 10:59:27 PM8/25/15
to Rafał Wojdyła, Vít Šesták, qubes-devel, qubes...@googlegroups.com, raf...@elitemail.org

Alex

Aug 26, 2015, 3:12:18 AM8/26/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 08/26/2015 04:50 AM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 02:40:18PM -0700, Vít Šesták wrote:
>> [...] if not exists d:\Users ( rmdir /s d:\Users.working copy
>> c:\Users d:\Users.working ren d:\Users.working Users rmdir /s
>> c:\Users ) if not exists c:\Users ( symlink d:\Users c:\Users )
>
> I'm not sure about removing original c:\Users - AFAIR it should be
> left there for initializing d: of additional VMs. But the idea
> about intermediate directory looks good. Rafał, what do you think?
Sorry if I hijack your question to Rafał, but I think symlinking the
users directory is not probably the best way to proceed.

And if you wanted to keep the logical overlay structure from the linux
AppVMs to windows ones, you'll have to move also C:\ProgramData, which
is something like /usr/local in Fedora.

You may consider checking
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS
NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList which is the actual "recommended" way of
changing the location of the Users directory and ProgramData; a sample
article can be found at
http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-change-user-profile-default-location
- -in-windows-7/
but AFAIK (direct experience) the procedure goes something like this:
- - create a throwaway administrator user
- - log in as that user (needed because logged users have locked files
in their home)
- - copy everything from C:\Users into D:\Users, skipping files from the
throwaway user folder
- - copy everything from C:\ProgramData into D:\ProgramData, signaling
locked files to the users -> they must be taken care of manually, e.g.
skipping windows files (they'll be likely re-created) or program files
(they could just be plain lock files)
- - set the registry keys accordingly (all four of them,
ProfileDirectory=D:\Users, ProgramData=D:\ProgramData,
Public=D:\Users\Public, Default=D:\Users\Default)
- - reboot
- - log in as one of the existing administrator accounts (not the throwawa
y)
- - remove the throwaway profile

This way you'll have a situation similar to that of the others AppVMs,
but please note it takes a great amount of work and I don't know if it
can be automated after the setup.

During the setup phase of windows one may pass an Unattended Answers
file, which - as far as I remember, at least with Windows 2000 it
could - can set a different location for ProgramData and user profiles
directory. Doing this at the setup phase is the easiest way to
proceed, everything will be set up by the Windows setup itself, and
any location in the user home or ProgramData that may have been
written somewhere else will just be correct, because there will never
have been directories in the wrong place.

My memories of unattended installations are faint; you may want to
start checking from
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc786944%28v=ws.10%29.aspx
or https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732280%28v=ws.10%29.asp

- --
Alex

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Aug 26, 2015, 5:08:58 AM8/26/15
to Alex, qubes...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 09:12:10AM +0200, Alex wrote:
> On 08/26/2015 04:50 AM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 02:40:18PM -0700, Vít Šesták wrote:
> >> [...] if not exists d:\Users ( rmdir /s d:\Users.working copy
> >> c:\Users d:\Users.working ren d:\Users.working Users rmdir /s
> >> c:\Users ) if not exists c:\Users ( symlink d:\Users c:\Users )
> >
> > I'm not sure about removing original c:\Users - AFAIR it should be
> > left there for initializing d: of additional VMs. But the idea
> > about intermediate directory looks good. Rafał, what do you think?
> Sorry if I hijack your question to Rafał, but I think symlinking the
> users directory is not probably the best way to proceed.
>
> And if you wanted to keep the logical overlay structure from the linux
> AppVMs to windows ones, you'll have to move also C:\ProgramData, which
> is something like /usr/local in Fedora.
>
> You may consider checking
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS
> NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList which is the actual "recommended" way of
> changing the location of the Users directory and ProgramData; a sample
> article can be found at
> http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-change-user-profile-default-location
> -in-windows-7/
> but AFAIK (direct experience) the procedure goes something like this:
> - create a throwaway administrator user
> - log in as that user (needed because logged users have locked files
> in their home)
> - copy everything from C:\Users into D:\Users, skipping files from the
> throwaway user folder
> - copy everything from C:\ProgramData into D:\ProgramData, signaling
> locked files to the users -> they must be taken care of manually, e.g.
> skipping windows files (they'll be likely re-created) or program files
> (they could just be plain lock files)
> - set the registry keys accordingly (all four of them,
> ProfileDirectory=D:\Users, ProgramData=D:\ProgramData,
> Public=D:\Users\Public, Default=D:\Users\Default)
> - reboot
> - log in as one of the existing administrator accounts (not the throwawa
> y)
> - remove the throwaway profile
>
> This way you'll have a situation similar to that of the others AppVMs,
> but please note it takes a great amount of work and I don't know if it
> can be automated after the setup.

I think there was some problems with this approach, but don't remember
what. Especially about having ProgramData on per-VM drive - which means
that changes made there in the template would not be propagated to the
VMs. Rafał?

Anyway the current implementation doesn't use symlinks, but rather
reparse points (IIUC something similar to "mount --bind").

> During the setup phase of windows one may pass an Unattended Answers
> file, which - as far as I remember, at least with Windows 2000 it
> could - can set a different location for ProgramData and user profiles
> directory. Doing this at the setup phase is the easiest way to
> proceed, everything will be set up by the Windows setup itself, and
> any location in the user home or ProgramData that may have been
> written somewhere else will just be correct, because there will never
> have been directories in the wrong place.
>
> My memories of unattended installations are faint; you may want to
> start checking from
> https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc786944%28v=ws.10%29.aspx
> or https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732280%28v=ws.10%29.asp

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Rafał Wojdyła

Aug 26, 2015, 7:45:52 AM8/26/15
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Vít Šesták, qubes-devel, qubes...@googlegroups.com, raf...@elitemail.org

Rafał Wojdyła

Aug 26, 2015, 8:34:45 AM8/26/15
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Alex, qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 2015-08-26 11:08, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 09:12:10AM +0200, Alex wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not sure about removing original c:\Users - AFAIR it should
>>> be left there for initializing d: of additional VMs. But the
>>> idea about intermediate directory looks good. Rafał, what do
>>> you think?

The current algorithm is roughly this:
1) If c:\Users is a directory junction, abort.
2) If d:\Users exists, abort.
3) Copy c:\Users to d:\Users. If anything fails along the way, abort
(the incomplete target directory is left as-is, it should probably be
deleted).
4) Delete everything in c:\Users because a reparse point source must
be an empty directory. At this point we're sure that d:\Users is a
complete mirror of the original directory. If anything fails during
the deletion, try to copy d:\Users back to c:\Users ignoring all errors.
5) Make c:\Users a reparse point pointing to d:\Users.

Note that this process runs in the early boot phase as SYSTEM, before
the OS opens any other files (same stage as the filesystem checker).
Permissions or locked files are not a problem.

We could probably replace 4) and 5) by updating the registry
(ProfileList key).

>> Sorry if I hijack your question to Rafał, but I think symlinking
>> the users directory is not probably the best way to proceed.
>
>> And if you wanted to keep the logical overlay structure from the
>> linux AppVMs to windows ones, you'll have to move also
>> C:\ProgramData, which is something like /usr/local in Fedora.
>
>> You may consider checking
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS
>> NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList which is the actual "recommended"
>> way of changing the location of the Users directory and
>> ProgramData; a sample article can be found at
>> http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-change-user-profile-default-locat
ion

- -in-windows-7/
>> but AFAIK (direct experience) the procedure goes something like
>> this: - create a throwaway administrator user - log in as that
>> user (needed because logged users have locked files in their
>> home) - copy everything from C:\Users into D:\Users, skipping
>> files from the throwaway user folder - copy everything from
>> C:\ProgramData into D:\ProgramData, signaling locked files to the
>> users -> they must be taken care of manually, e.g. skipping
>> windows files (they'll be likely re-created) or program files
>> (they could just be plain lock files) - set the registry keys
>> accordingly (all four of them, ProfileDirectory=D:\Users,
>> ProgramData=D:\ProgramData, Public=D:\Users\Public,
>> Default=D:\Users\Default) - reboot - log in as one of the
>> existing administrator accounts (not the throwawa y) - remove the
>> throwaway profile
>
>> This way you'll have a situation similar to that of the others
>> AppVMs, but please note it takes a great amount of work and I
>> don't know if it can be automated after the setup.
>
> I think there was some problems with this approach, but don't
> remember what. Especially about having ProgramData on per-VM drive
> - which means that changes made there in the template would not be
> propagated to the VMs. Rafał?

Right. ProgramData contains *global* application settings that are not
user-specific. By default c:\Users\All Users is a link to c:\ProgramData
.

> Anyway the current implementation doesn't use symlinks, but rather
> reparse points (IIUC something similar to "mount --bind").
>
>> During the setup phase of windows one may pass an Unattended
>> Answers file, which - as far as I remember, at least with Windows
>> 2000 it could - can set a different location for ProgramData and
>> user profiles directory. Doing this at the setup phase is the
>> easiest way to proceed, everything will be set up by the Windows
>> setup itself, and any location in the user home or ProgramData
>> that may have been written somewhere else will just be correct,
>> because there will never have been directories in the wrong
>> place.
>
>> My memories of unattended installations are faint; you may want
>> to start checking from
>> https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc786944%28v=ws.10%29.asp

or https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732280%28v=ws.10%29.asp
This could be a nice solution *if* the unattended installation can
initialize and format the private disk by itself. Still, probably not
all users can go with a fresh installation so a solution that works
for an already installed OS is preferable.

There are some other issues in general. For example, all child VMs
based on a template will have the same Windows host name because it's
stored in the system registry hive which is located in
Windows\system32\config. Of course this hive contains a lot of other
global settings that *should* be inherited from the template. I
imagine this could be solved by creating an explicit list of such
non-inheritable settings. They could be copied from the template by
default but we should provide some way to permanently override them
(maybe a special executable that the user will run once all the
"private" settings are changed, that executable will read those
settings and store them, then our agent will re-apply them on each VM
start).

- --
Rafał Wojdyła
Qubes Tools for Windows developer
https://www.qubes-os.org/

mihaig...@gmail.com

Oct 10, 2015, 10:46:28 AM10/10/15
to qubes-users, om...@invisiblethingslab.com, cpr...@gmail.com
On Saturday, August 22, 2015 at 11:13:14 PM UTC+2, cprise wrote:
> After following the instructions here and at the doc/WindowsAppVms page,
> I had a problem with the network access. Network/sharing center reported
> 'Unidentified network' and 'No network access' when using the Xen PV
> NIC. After 2 or 3 more reboots network access was restored.

Have the same problem, the reason was the IP assigned to the AppVM is the one from the Windows Template (which I blocked via the firewall, no need to let the template go to the internet). Manually changing the IP in AppVM (with the one shown in QVMM) restores network. You say your problem solved by itself?...Thanks

Rafał Wojdyła

Oct 10, 2015, 11:31:08 AM10/10/15
to mihaig...@gmail.com, qubes-users, cpr...@gmail.com