update dom0 offline?

Sven Semmler

Dec 7, 2017, 5:00:33 PM12/7/17
to qubes-users

Unman

Dec 7, 2017, 7:37:43 PM12/7/17
to Sven Semmler, qubes-users
On Thu, Dec 07, 2017 at 04:00:27PM -0600, Sven Semmler wrote:
> My problem: new computer (ThinkPad P51) comes with Intel networking
> hardware which requires kernel 4.9 to be detected. When installing
> Qubes 3.2 one starts of with kernel 4.4.
>
> I can see on my other computer that is already running Qubes 3.2 that
> Dom0 is meanwhile at kernel 4.9 - how can I update dom0 on my new
> machine? Is there some way I could download the packets on my old
> computer, transfer them to the new and update dom0?
>
> I am aware that Qubes 4 has kernel 4.9 from the start. But I am also
> aware that it is still an RC and doesn't (yet) support Windows VMs.
>
> /Sven

Sven

You can always grab the files from yum.qubes-os.org on the old computer.
Then you can copy them in to a qube, and transfer to dom0 on the
new computer.
The transfer TO dom0 is covered here:
www.qubes-os.org/doc/copy-from-dom0/

Rather than iterate over the files, I would tar them in the qube, and
untar in dom0

To make sure you have the right files, don't forget to check them with
rpm -K before installing them on your new system.

unman

Ro...@tuta.io

Dec 7, 2017, 7:57:50 PM12/7/17
to qubes-users
Im not sure how easy it is for your hardware. I just had an issue with my new desktop and not wanting to run v4.

What i did was take out the drive on the desktop and install on the laptop i have that runs 3.2 just fine. Then i updated the kernel there and changed the boot files since it doesnt pick it up on new one and then swapped the drive back to the desktop. Was actually alot easier then expected this way but i can swap a drive in a couple mins on my laptop.

Sven Semmler

Dec 10, 2017, 11:58:37 AM12/10/17
to qubes-users
On Dec 7, 2017, at 6:37 PM, Unman <un...@thirdeyesecurity.org> wrote:

You can always grab the files from yum.qubes-os.org on the old computer.

All of them? There seem to be different versions. If I copy all of them, is there a way to tell dnf to just upgrade the packets that are already installed?

Here is what I already tried:

- installed R4rc3 and confirmed that kernel 4.9 supports my hardware

- on my old R3.2 machine uname -r returns 4.9 both in dom0 and the fedora-25 template

- I copied that template to the new machine now running R3.2 freshly installed and both dom0 and the template report kernel 4.4 (expected for dom0 but would have thought the template would continue to report 4.9)

- I then downloaded and transferred and installed the dom0 kernel 4.9 rpm from yum.qubes-os.org. Now dom0 reports 4.9 but the fedora-25 template still reports 4.4 ???

- when trying to install kernel-qubes-vm-4.9.56-21.pvops.qubes.x86_64.rpm I get dependency errors.

Do I just download all rpms and let dnf sort it out?

Thank you for your time and support!

/Sven

Unman

Dec 10, 2017, 8:06:43 PM12/10/17
to Sven Semmler, qubes-users
The repo contains all the old versions of files as well, so if you are
downloading manually you only need to pull the most recent versions.

An alternative approach might be to try this in your network connected
box:
sudo qubes-dom0-update --action=download <pkg-name>
I *think* that dnf will do the right thing and resolve dependencies for
you. This should download the packages to the current directory, then
you can transfer them to the offline box and install them manually.
dnf will select the most recent version if you only give a package name -
if you want a specific version you can specify that.

Sven Semmler

Dec 11, 2017, 12:06:19 PM12/11/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Sven Semmler